Start by marking “Where There Is Love, There Is God: Her Path to Closer Union with God and Greater Love for Others” as Want to Read:

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  189 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Mother Teresa’s relationship with God and her commitment to those she served—the poorest of the poor—is here powerfully explored in her own words. Taken largely from her private lessons to her sisters, published here for the first time, Where There is Love, There is God unveils her extraordinary faith in and surrender to God’s will. This book is in some way a sequel to Mot ...more
Published March 6th 2012 by Image (first published August 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Where There Is Love, There Is God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where There Is Love, There Is God

Ruth
This book, which I received via the Blogging for Books program, has been on my dresser waiting to be read since before Christmas. In case you haven't noticed, I've been in kind of a reading/blogging funk. Tonight I picked it up and thought I'd start reading a biography of Mother Teresa. I soon found that it wasn't a biography but rather a collection of Mother Teresa's sayings and teachings.

Generally when I write a DNF review, I'm saying a book isn't good enough to finish. Today I'm writing a DN
Joyce Mccarten
Mother Theresa writes a lot about surrendering to God - letting Him have His way- and no grumbling and feeling sorry for yourself is allowed.
She was devoted to Jesus and often explained that she and her Sisters of Charity were not social workers. They take care of the poorest of poor, those throw-away people who have not one to care for them in their last days of life. The inspiration is Jesus' love for her. She did not feel that love, but she knew it was there. If you read the Holy Scriptures w
Josh Meares
Interesting book. I read Mother Theresa like I read Dietrich Bonhoeffer: enthusiastic, but cautious. Bonhoeffer and Theresa are both full of weird, weird stuff. But those oddities are interrupted by nuggets of brilliant insight or crystal clear calls to action that make them worth reading. Mother Teresa is full of compassion and humility, two qualities that we could all use a little more of. She is also a radical believer whose life truly follows her faith. I find that admirable and more than a ...more
Katie Morgan
I thought this would be more love and less judgement.
J.N.
This is a book I won from the GoodReads First Reads program. While I am thankful to be chosen to receive this book, I just couldn't finish it. I made it about halfway, but some of Mother Teresa's views didn't agree with mine. I am fine with people with different view points but she was hitting them so hard toward the reader that it turned me away from the book.

I was hoping this would be more about Mother Teresa's life because I still think she was a very interesting person with many great insigh
Patrick
Apr 04, 2013 Patrick marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Mother Teresa was an incredible person and this book is a collection of her own writings/speeches. While a lot of it is purely thoughtful, some of it can be really moving. The compassion and conviction conveyed by this woman is compelling. She knew the poor and loved the poor as she loved Jesus. (To her, loving the poor was loving Jesus!) I recall an example of her giving advice to someone about what they should do to serve God and she told them to go be with their family. She was wise in knowin ...more
Todd
Not a book to be read straight through, instead read a bit of it each day to fill your thoughts and future deeds with the Love that Saint Mother Teresa had for Jesus. She will show you through her words and her actions just how much we are loved by God and how we should treat all of those around us.

This book, which is made up of tidbits of Saint Mother Teresa's writings, interviews, and prayers, is a great introduction to her philosophical and religious views. It will change how you view yoursel
Kelly Anderson
I really enjoyed this book. I think there is so much to be learned about love and what it looks like to really love God and love others through the life of Mother Teresa. My favorite quote from the book: "Glory be to God the Father who created me-because He loved me. Glory be to Jesus Christ who died for me-because He loved me. Glory be to Holy Spirit who lives in me-because He loves me."
Chris
Wanted to hear what motivated Mother Teresa's passion for the poor. This book detailed some of her teachings to the sisters and her personal thoughts and beliefs in her ministry. I also learned what Mother Teresa's ministry consisted of each day and how she prepared in her heart to serve as Jesus did. Liberal spoiler: Mother Teresa loved even the unborn and thought the loss of the innocents a great sadness in the world. This book is a great insight into one person's ministry in the name of Chris ...more
Melissa
Mother Teresa was a truly amazing woman and her thoughts are very provoking. The things she talk about in this book are great pondering points to hold out and see how you respond to them and then dig deeper into why. With all the unrest and hatred in the world it is refreshing to read a book about someone who is dedicated to love for humanity.

Got a new quote from her that I adore. "I never call difficulties "problems." I always say, "gift of God," because it is always much easier to take a gift
Bonnie Garrett
This book consists of quotes and sayings by Mother Teresa throughout her years. I got a lot of value out of it, but it could have been about half the length and would have been twice as good. The latter half of the book is pretty much just a re-wording of many of the things already said. All wise words, but it gets tedious. It's not her fault...she didn't publish the thing.
Deni Aria
This is so appealing to learn how the work of Mother Teresa is accomplished by total submission to God, She simply found The Lord in every way of living in this world mostly, The Lord exists in the poor of the poor in humanity that's the ultimate moment of meeting with The Lord when we love the poor and love being poor as well !
Lisa
Mother Theresa is a truly remarkable human being and certainly deserves sainthood.
I got this book as a goodreads giveaway book. I thought that the way it was put together was rather fragmented and frequently repetitive. It probably would have been better to read it in bits instead of reading right through it.
Lesley
I probably won't finish this book. I went into reading it thinking it was going to be an autobiography or stories written about some of the things Mother Teresa has done, maybe some journal entries or something. Instead, it's just a collection of quotes that are often oddly translated.
C.j.
This is an incomparably valuable book, for it's full of words that were actions. Mother's honesty is as full of humility as it is of truth. She's loves the individual, and her words still sounds as if they were meant for one: that one, who listens, who's reading.
Paula
I have always been curious about Mother Teresa - who is she? why did she do the things she did? - but this book blew me away. What an amazing person, a deep and kind soul, who was more about small, joyful actions than about any "big Catholic" religious action.
Cassandra
I only read half of this book. Mother Teresa's thoughts were interesting and I was glad to experience another side of her. However, we differ on some (very important) theological beliefs and it was hard to read about those topics.
Mother Teresa is the best role model and most inspirational woman I can think of! If everyone in the world would follow her example, all problems would be solved. This book is full of her love for Jesus.
Erika
teachings in plain language...I am currently reading the French translation entitled
Mère Teresa Quand l'Amour est là, Dieu est là

This is my way of sharing and accompanying Sylvie's experience in Calcutta
Cassie
Though I greatly enjoy Mother Theresa's quotes & stories, I felt the layout & design by the editor made it a very repetitive read. Stories where retold in numerous locations & under different subtitles.
Rebecca
I am without words for the simple love this Mother Terese had for all man kind, she makes it seem so simple to love one another. I wish we could all apply this to our everyday life. 2 thumbs up.
Jillian
A compilation of thoughts from Mother Teresa, this book was uplifting and wonderful to read in short moments between taking care of some of God's most beloved creations: children.
Ilya Kozlov
last book from m teresa ---her teaching to her nuns---very useful, "prayer is oneness. fullness of attention is not possible but fullness of intention."......perls like that
Paul
It was interesting to read so much from her own words Very repetitive though and not fluid. Only recommend to an avid reader.
Heather
Mother Teresa is one amazing woman!
Her tenderness, generosity and love for all human beings is truly inspiring.
Mary
Sep 27, 2010 Mary is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is going to be a great book. I intend to read it nice and slowly.
Zuzanna
Mother Theresa is the kindest woman ever that lived on this Earth.
Malexis Timbreza
You must put your love for God in a living action.
Lori

Inspiring!! Oh to be so holy!
Ilya Kozlov
i read it every day for morning ispiration
  • 7 Secrets of the Eucharist
  • With Open Hands
  • Catherine of Siena: The Dialogue (Classics of Western Spirituality)
  • 33 Days to Morning Glory
  • The Rosary: The Prayer That Saved My Life
  • Motherless
  • Love Story: The Hand that Holds Us From the Garden to the Gate
  • A Father Who Keeps His Promises: God's Covenant Love in Scripture
  • Jesus of Nazareth: The Infancy Narratives
  • Chicken Soup for the Soul: Messages from Heaven: 101 Miraculous Stories of Signs from Beyond, Amazing Connections, and Love that Doesn’t Die
  • Heaven Touching Earth: True Stories of Angels, Miracles, and Heavenly Encounters
  • Why Catholicism Matters: How Catholic Virtues Can Reshape Society in the Twenty-First Century
  • The Secret Of The Rosary
  • Rediscovering Catholicism Journeying Toward Our Spiritual North Star
  • Man and Woman He Created Them: A Theology of the Body
  • Diary of Saint Maria Faustina Kowalska: Divine Mercy in My Soul
  • The God Box
  • The Normal Bar: Where Does Your Relationship Fall?
Mother Teresa, born Agnes Gonxha Bojaxhiu (pronounced [aɡˈnɛs ˈɡɔndʒa bɔjaˈdʒiu]), was an Albanian Roman Catholic nun who founded the Missionaries of Charity in Kolkata (Calcutta), India in 1950. For over forty years she ministered to the poor, sick, orphaned, and dying, while guiding the Missionaries of Charity's expansion, first throughout India and then in other countries.

By the 1970s she had b
More about Mother Teresa...
Come Be My Light: The Private Writings of the Saint of Calcutta No Greater Love Mother Teresa: In My Own Words A Simple Path In the Heart of the World: Thoughts, Stories and Prayers

“By our life and deeds of love, we are making the Church fully present in the world today.” 0 likes