Start by marking “A Puerto Rican in New York, and Other Sketches (New World Paperbacks)” as Want to Read:
A Puerto Rican in New York, and Other Sketches (New World Paperbacks)

A Puerto Rican in New York, and Other Sketches (New World Paperbacks)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Book annotation not available for this title.
Published June 1st 1982 by Intl Pub

To ask other readers questions about A Puerto Rican in New York, and Other Sketches, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Puerto Rican in New York, and Other Sketches

Nicky
I was looking for some Puerto Rican history through literature and this was recommended. Published in 1961, I hoped it would share the experience of New Yorkers, but it is really more about the struggle of the workers, and how they will eventually rise up against the capitalist system, etc. There was some documentation of the blatant discrimination and poor treatment these legal migrants experienced.
Allan
What a great book. I found it on one of those 'discard' piles at my local library. The book is a series of short stories that details the writers experience of living in NYC early last century. Living conditions in the neighborhoods of NYC, and the reality of daily racism were particularly prominent in his writings. The book is a true window into the past of NYC.
Riley
Jesus Colon was a Puerto Rican-American communist who wrote for The Worker. These essays are whimsical, comical, and sentimental, but rarely unenjoyable. My favorites were: "Little things are big," "The origin of Latin American dances (according to the Madison Avenue Boys)," "Greetings from Washington," "On singing in the shower," and "She actually pinched me!"
Phil Wright
Fantastic!!! The way Colon writes makes you feel like your right there next to him. I was reluctant to read it at first but glad I did; and am reading a second time through.
Raine
Raine marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Aaron Gonzalez
Aaron Gonzalez is currently reading it
Jun 05, 2015
Alyssa Linduska
Alyssa Linduska marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Jacqueline Le
Jacqueline Le marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Alexandra St
Alexandra St marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Omida  Shahab
Omida Shahab marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Twani
Twani marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Tom Schneitter
Tom Schneitter marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2015
María Rivera Savoy
María Rivera Savoy marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Antdog246
Antdog246 marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Aries
Aries marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Nia
Nia marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Aishwarya Saxena
Aishwarya Saxena marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Anita
Anita marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
Knudsondlk
Knudsondlk marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Kaiya
Kaiya is currently reading it
Nov 03, 2014
Darleth
Darleth marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Manon
Manon marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Manuel E.
Manuel E. marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Way It Was and Other Writings Lo Que el Pueblo Me Dice Boricuas: Influential Puerto Rican Writings - An Anthology