Start by marking “Blood of Angels” as Want to Read:
Blood of Angels

Blood of Angels (Straw Men #3)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  885 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Welcome to the world of Michael Marshall where a female FBI agent and her partner face a secret brotherhood of serial killers born and bred to commit the most violent acts known to man.
Published August 30th 2005 by Jove (first published January 1st 2005)

Jonathan Briggs
Once upon a time, Michael Marshall Smith was a fresh, exciting voice in the genres of the fantastic. He announced his arrival with "Only Forward," an electrifying debut that spiked its science fiction thrills with a dash of Barkerish horror and Pythonesque humor. His follow-up, "Spares," wasn't too shabby either, and he racked up a handful of award-winning short stories.

Then he shaved off the end of his name and took a dive into the lucrative mediocrity of the serial killer novel. His first fora
Nathalie
This is the 3rd (and final?) book in the trilogy that started with "The Straw Men", and while I had high hopes for it after not having liked "The Upright Man", I have to say that I was disappointed.
Yet again the author takes 3 seemingly unconnected storylines and brings them together into a conspiracy theory which, this time, manages to involve, of course, September 11. I'm always leary of any book that contains the stupid theory that September 11 wasn't exactly was it was, and I have to admit t
Thomas
Stuart Langridge

SUMMARY:
Tense and suspense-filled thriller from the author of The Straw Men and The Lonely Dead.Notorious serial killer the Upright Man has escaped from prison, and the FBI have no idea where to look for him. His brother, Ward Hopkins, suspects he may have been aided by the Straw Men, the shadowy organization founded on murder as a way of life that killed Ward's parents.But apart from his girlfriend Nina, a discredited FBI agent, the only other person who believes the Straw Men exist is John Zan

Duncan
This is the third book in the Straw Men series and whilst not as good as the first, I found it better than the middle on 'The Lonely Dead'.
Like the middle book this has some sections where two characters 'in the know' riff on about conspiracy theories and crazy ideas, leaving both the reader and in fact the main character not much the wiser, but much shorter in this book and not so fantastical. In fact the new story line of LA teenage small time drug dealers, showing how Straw man 'recruitment'
Kapil
the only stupid to read this one before reading the other in straw man series .... so couldn't connect to characters.. still very nicely written.. exciting. ..!
Al Swanson
As always, Marshall entertains. This time, he also explains. I'm not a huge fan of 'series' books, simply because, in most cases, you can count on the protagonists living through - at least till the last book. That takes away any real sense of drama for me. True, if it were a series of romances, that might not be such a consideration. In an 'action' or thriller series, it does limit the plotline.

Blood of Angels extends and theoretically closes the series begun with The Straw Men. I'm not one to
Waven
I really enjoyed the first two novels of the Straw Men trilogy and this one didn't disappoint, either. Marshall keeps a good pace, throws enough curves to keep things interesting, and leaves some deliciously unresolved plotlines without sacrificing the integrity of the story. The final chapter in the series, this novel is probably the most "serious" of the group, a more sober adventure than the previous installments which offered numerous moments of dark humor. But it's still a very interesting ...more
Liz Wilkins
So sadly I come to the finale of "The Straw Men" trilogy - Blood of Angels. Now I'm feeling vaguely bereft again. I have absolutely loved my re-read of this set of books and I'm sad that I am done. I can't start again right away can I? No perhaps not. But I'm sure this will not be the last time I read them.

This part of the tale finds Ward and Nina hiding out in a remote cabin and trying to leave the world behind them. John is nowhere, unable to contact him they reluctantly decide that their frie
Cheryl
It's certainly got a lot packed into it - serial killers, a complex conspiracy theory, good cops forced into doing bad things to try to make the world a better place, more fast-paced action than you can shake a stick at ... - but it's the third and final episode in a three-part series so I couldn't shake the feeling that I'd walked into a movie halfway through and had a hard time piecing together who was who, what had been going on and why.

(full review on my blog : http://madhousefamilyreviews.b
Steven
I didn't hate this book. It made up for the 2nd. This series isn't my cup of tea. I couldn't get used to the writing style, and I simply disliked most of the characters. I would groan every time a chapter would begin with some stupid teenager. All of the plotlines connect eventually, and when they do you don't care. Most books make you say, "So THAT'S who that was." This one made me go, "Oh, so that happened. Meh." Also, this was a depressing end to the trilogy. I think he was trying to relay th ...more
Ineke
Goed laatste deel van de trilogie.
Met veel vaart gaat het naar een afsluiting. Hoewel, een echte afsluiting is het niet.
Victoria
This was an exciting conclusion, but I must admit that the ending was not as conclusive as I had hoped. Perhaps the author will continue the series... the groundwork is certainly there! This book, though interesting and very exciting, was really ultimately soured by the loose ending. After building the conclusion up over the course of three novels, I was left wanting something more solid and satisfying. This is not stopping me from reading his other books, though, because this is a very talented ...more
John
Marshall's conclusion to the Staw Men is interesting and complex like to its two predeccesors, but its not as compelling as either. Marshall does a masterful job of continuing to weave the past and present histories of all the key players. He demands that you care for the welfare of one of the key charactures. That is the only part of the book that kept my interest. I didn't find the Straw Men's conspiratory narritive to be as stiring as it was in the previous two novels.

Tanvir Muntasim
Slightly fizzled out conclusion to the trilogy, which peaked at the 2nd book and went downhill from there. Even then, the premise of a group of serial killers active for millennium is a novel one, and this apparently ludicrous premise is valiantly built on by Marshall's gift for creating genuinely creepy ambience inhabited by some seriously scary characters.
Sebastián
Debo admitir que el título me fascinó, y que no leí las dos primeras novelas. Sin embargo me pareció interesante el juego que maneja Marshall, aunque el final me pareció esperado y definitivamente tendría que haber complementado con las primeras dos, aunque no me generó la expectativa o el deseo de leerlas.
Brandon Koontz
The finale to the Straw Men trilogy, and unfortunately, this one is weaker than the other two. It felt rushed and didn't exactly deliver on the strong premise started in the first two books. Still, I'd like to see Marshall revist this concept in some fashion down the road.
Amy
Dec 30, 2007 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Suspense fans
Great final book to this series... I am about 100 pages from finishing, this book is much better than 2nd one. All-in-all I'm glad I read this series. This writer's style is similar to Koontz & the master of horror, Stephen King.
Gea
Met het lezen van dit derde boek had ik een iets betere ervaring. Veel minder langdradige stukken en heel veel spannende hoofdstukken. Toch vind ik het einde ietwat onbevredigend. Ik had gehoopt op wat meer afsluiting.
Adam Light
This was the final book in the Straw Men trilogy, and for me it was very good, but nowhere near as awesome as the first two. In fact, I found it rather anticlimactic. Overall, the series was impressive.
Kelly Stewart
4.5 stars. Not as good as book 1, but better than book 2. I am really hoping that another Straw Men book ends up being written, because this series deserves to be much more than a trilogy!
Louise
Starts off with three apparantly unrelated stories running parallel to each other which are then brought together with lots of twists and turns in an explosive conclusion.
Sarra
Third in The Straw Men trilogy. Tries to wrap up the story of Ward and his brother. Still not as good as the first but better than the second.
Ruth
Hmmm - not sure on this one. Will have to mull a bit. Again, another quick read...... am i up in the air - and still some loose strings??
Cory Newman
I thought this was a great end to the series, but I wish it wasn't the end! I really enjoyed these books!
John
Best of the three in the straw men series, but still "choppy." Not a dime-store novel; more like a quarter.
Vikki
The third book in this series and while not as great as the first one, it still held its own.
Rick
This book is the conclusion to The Strawmen Trilogy. Michael Marshall is an incredible writer!
Suzie
hmmm ... I appear to have started in the middle .. should I now go forwards or back??
Tommy Trevino
Conclusion to the Straw Man books,relly enjoyed these books.
  • One of Us
  • The Whisperers (Charlie Parker, #9)
  • The Stranger House
  • Code 61
  • The Water Clock (Philip Dryden, #1)
  • Blood Runs Cold (Ren Bryce, #1)
  • The Skin Gods (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #2)
  • November Mourns
  • Brother Grimm (Jan Fabel, #2)
  • Dead Silent (DC Laura McGanity, #4)
  • Dead Men's Dust (Joe Hunter, #1)
  • From the Borderlands: Stories of Terror and Madness (Borderlands, # 5)
  • The Shadow of the Soul (The Dog-Faced Gods, #2)
  • The Hundredth Man (Carson Ryder, #1)
  • The Soul Collectors (Darby McCormick #4)
A pseudonym used by Michael Marshall Smith

Michael Marshall Smith (who dropped the "Smith" to write The Straw Men) lives in north London with his wife Paula, and is currently working on screenplays and his next book, while providing two cats with somewhere warm and comfortable to sit.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thread for more inf
More about Michael Marshall...
The Straw Men The Intruders The Upright Man Killer Move We Are Here