The Integral Vision: A Very Short Introduction to the Revolutionary Integral Approach to Life, God, the Universe, and Everything

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Suppose we took everything that all the various world cultures have to tell us about human potential—about psychological, spiritual, and social growth—and identified the basic patterns that connect these pieces of knowledge. What if we attempted to create an all-inclusive map that touches the most important factors from all of the world's great traditions?

Ken Wilber's Int...more
Published August 14th 2007 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about The Integral Vision, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Integral Vision

Kifflie
A good short introduction to the work of Ken Wilber, outlining the AQAL approach, and including some very brief exercises on bringing the integral approach into one's personal life.
Dina Colman
I would probably give 5 stars to anything written by Ken Wilber. Wilber and his work are a big influence in the founding of my company and writing of my book, Four Quadrant Living. I took the four quadrant model from Integral Theory and applied to health, resulting in the four quadrants of Mind, Body, Relationships, and Environment. The Integral Vision is a great introduction to Integral Theory. Integral Theory is a comprehensive world philosophy that that helps us understand human life and pote...more
Kara
Ooohlala, how to describe this thing? This was some very condescending, even occasionally ridiculous airport reading for me recently. It was recommended to me by someone I respect tremendously as an introduction to Wilber's Integral Life Practice and especially the underlying theory. It's a horrible introduction of any and all ideas. It seems to presume the reader has never learned to think critically or rigorously and proposes quadrants, lines, etc. as an *all-purpose* framework for all future...more
Adam
A decent layman's introduction to integral theory, but the visual rhetoric here is almost laughably transparent in its attempt to be hip, contemporary, and accessible. And, as always, Wilber sabotages these already silly attempts at making his scholarship approachable with his consistent indulgence in overly poetic language and New Age sensibility. While I totally agree with and support his ideas, I find myself seriously questioning his presentation. What he needs to do sometime soon is write fo...more
Garrett Dunnington
Wilber presents a methodology that seems to be very abstracted, and I feel that anyone would be totally fine if they did not follow this methodology. In my rational treatment of this review, and with my heart on aesthetics, I will say that I am a person that is interested in the transcendental, and this seems to be far-removed from any kind of method that has any convenience.
I have read only papers of Wilber as well as reading the introduction to another book (can't remember). I suppose any met...more
Kimberley
I just finished this "very short introduction to the Revolutionary Integral Approach to Life, God, the Universe, and Everything." I love studying integral theory, and I especially love it when it's simply written. My favorite line in the book was: "Self, nature and culture are liberated together or not at all." It doesn't seem so profound right now, but when I first read it, I thought, "Wow."
Elizabeth
May 13, 2011 Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jason
This didn't serve me as well as reading the bigger books of Wilber's. It is a beautifully designed book, really a masterpiece, but I've enjoyed reading the other books better. This tries to cram too much into one little book. Still, it's a fun book. It just didn't work for me as an introduction to the Integral approach.
John Holliday
This book can help us understand others and their seemingly crazy beliefs. Wilber has created a map, a sort of grand unified theory, that can organize diverse belief systems. Also he includes lines of personal development, and he has ideas for advancement. All that, and it is brief and well illustrated!
Jessica
I've read several of Ken Wilber's books before, so this book was not exactly new material for me. I still found it totally fascinating and exciting. If you're looking to do a bit of life improvement and want an inclusive and intelligent way of doing it, start with this book.
Nick Pollitt
I haven't had the time to read the full story from Wilber's "Sex, Ecology, and Spirituality" but I think this is a good introduction to Integral theory. So far it's interesting, and his writing style is geared toward the modern technophile audience.
Jake
Ken Wilber is an incredible intellectual and author. He is a great source for those of us who enjoy exploring the crossroads between philosophy, science, and spirituality.

This little book is a great introduction to some of Wilber's key concepts.
Willa
Fantastic, easy to read, beautifully done with artwork and cool designs... Ken Wilber's least scientific work, but probably the most accessible, and as he's condensed his thought so much there are some real gems in there.
Beth
Dec 16, 2007 Beth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: psych
I read this book as part of an introductory class to Wilber's work. It is accessible, especially when compared to his other writings and serves as a good introduction if you want to go deeper into his work.
Steve Wilson
For such a small book, it contains some massive ideas. I must admit I was a little bogged down during some of the middle parts, but the finale was outstanding. I am interested in reading more of his ideas.
Kyllei
I was enthused about this in the beginning and I even joined their website. I found some of the videos and community involvement interesting but no where near worth the membership cost.
Jim Jewell
Someone's been bugging me to check out Wilber, but this was the wrong one for me to start with. Too basic, overly simplistic and self-help-style prose. Maybe his other stuff is better.
Heath
The first Ken Wilber book I've read, and a little softer than I expected. A useful synthesis of various spiritual and self-help practices, this book offers a progressive world view.
Ly
Very good introductory book on the Integral Approach. Like Ken says, either you believe in spirituality or you don't. For those that do, I highly recommend this book.
Eugene Pustoshkin
Замечательное введение в интегральный подход Кена Уилбера, богатое иллюстрациями и написанное доступным языком. Рекомендуется для первого знакомства с его трудами.
Pan
I usually appreciate Ken Wilber, but this time i just wasn't into it...it kinda felt like reading a cereal box.
Clivemichael Justice
Entertaining, somewhat presumptious, bordering on self righteous, but valuable and informative
Dbomatter
great overview of Wilber's theory. Great book to give to a friend who wants to know about integral.
David Roberts
Simple, distilled to readable basics by those close to him, a good place to start reading Wilber
Chad
This is a great, VERY brief introduction to Ken Wilbers work.
Michelle
This short review has been moved to: http://bit.ly/Z2lzfr
~V.W.~
Jul 27, 2009 ~V.W.~ marked it as to-read
Want to just read intro per Ken ;)
Chris Stone
Thought provoking.
  • Spiral Dynamics: Mastering Values, Leadership and Change
  • Mutants and Mystics: Science Fiction, Superhero Comics, and the Paranormal
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • Unleash the Power of the Female Brain: Supercharging Yours for Better Health, Energy, Mood, Focus, and Sex
  • I'm Chocolate, You're Vanilla: Raising Healthy Black and Biracial Children in a Race-Conscious World
  • TechGnosis: Myth, Magic & Mysticism in the Age of Information
  • The Book of Goddesses: A Celebration of the Divine Feminine
  • Writing the Other (Conversation Pieces Vol. 8)
  • In Over Our Heads: Mental Demands of Modern Life
  • Deadly Doses: A Writer's Guide to Poisons
  • Booklife: Strategies and Survival Tips for the 21st-Century Writer
  • Rational Mysticism: Spirituality Meets Science in the Search for Enlightenment
  • Madeleine L'Engle Herself: Reflections on a Writing Life
  • Witsec: Inside the Federal Witness Protection Program
  • On Desire: Why We Want What We Want
  • The Medieval Underworld
  • Millionaire Women Next Door: The Many Journeys of Successful American Businesswomen
  • Live the Life You Love: In Ten Easy Step-By Step Lessons
22075
Ken Wilber is the most widely translated academic writer in America, with 25 books translated into some 30 foreign languages, and is the first philosopher-psychologist to have his Collected Works published while still alive. Wilber is an internationally acknowledged leader and the preeminent scholar of the Integral stage of human development, which continues to gather momentum around the world. Hi...more
More about Ken Wilber...
A Brief History of Everything Grace & Grit: Spirituality & Healing in the Life & Death of Treya Killam Wilber No Boundary: Eastern and Western Approaches to Personal Growth Integral Psychology: Consciousness, Spirit, Psychology, Therapy A Theory of Everything: An Integral Vision for Business, Politics, Science & Spirituality