Start by marking “Renegade Magic (Kat, Incorrigible, #2)” as Want to Read:
Renegade Magic (Kat, Incorrigible, #2)

Renegade Magic (Kat, Incorrigible #2)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  1,264 Ratings  ·  151 Reviews
Is Kat’s untrained magic strong enough to prove she has what it takes to be a true Guardian? Find out in this second book of Stephanie Burgis’s Regency-era fantasy trilogy.

Nowhere in England is safe from the mischief and magic of Kat Stephenson.

With her eldest sister finally married, it seems things are settling down for Kat. But when a scandalous accusation threatens her
Published April 3rd 2012 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers (first published August 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Renegade Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Renegade Magic

Got an advance copy of this from a charity auction - win-win! Much as I enjoyed A Most Improper Magick, I thought this outing was even stronger - tighter and more controlled, while still as much fun as the first. I also loved the magic in Bath! Kat's a great protagonist - determined and independent without ever being merely stroppy - and the family relationships are wonderful.

Younger than the books I usually read - wish this had come out when the girls were younger, as it would have been deligh
Bella (Cheezyfeet Books)
I read an e-galley of the first book, A Most Improper Magic, when it was being released in the US under the title Kat, Incorrigible. It was cute and funny, and I loved it. A Tangle of Magicks, the second book in the series, is just as cute and just as funny, and I loved it just as much.
Kat is of course, her usual outgoing, occasionally annoying but always amusing and lovable self. She does what she thinks is the right thing to do, but she often does it without thought and sh usually just gets h
Jul 18, 2011 Sophie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Tangle of Magicks is 300 pages of fun, fabulousness and magical frolics.

I know I mentioned Kat’s awesomeness briefly in my review of A Most Improper Magick, but to match her increase in awesome, I thought I’d expand it a little! Kat is the type of girl that I wish I was when I was twelve. She’s strong, fiercely loyal and completely kick-ass. When it comes to her family and the people she loves, there’s nothing she wouldn’t do. For all of her often disastrous plans, I was glad that she has a c
Brandy Painter
Originally posted here.

Stephanie Burgis has combined two of my favorite things with her Kat books. Magic and Regency England. I loved Kat Incorrigible. Bit thoroughly enjoyed it as well. I was going to wait and review Renegade Magic with her too, but we are currently in the middle of a different trilogy so it will be a while before I can read it to her. I didn't want to wait that long. There is always some nervousness when reading a sequel to a book you really enjoyed. There is a chance it won't
Kat Stephenson's magical adventures continue in this second installment of the Kat, Incorrigible series. I loved the first book, so I had pretty high expectations for this book. I'm happy to say that Renegade Magic did not disappoint. While I could've read this book quickly (every page had me wanting to read more), I really took my time with this one — reading only a chapter or two each day — because I wanted to enjoy the book as long as possible.

The author released a Kat short story called "Due
May 03, 2011 Jenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As much as I loved book 1, book 2 is even better! (I read both in manuscript form.) The setting moves to the city of Bath, where Kat uncovers some very dangerous magic. All my favorite characters from book 1 are back, but now we get a much closer look at Kat's brother Charles. Luckily, Kat's own magical powers are progressing, so she's more than equal to the task of rescuing her family from even graver (and more exciting!) situations. LOVE THIS BOOK!!!
Liz { nvl.tea }
Polished review to come...eventually! For now, my notes.

*Visiting the world of Kat Stephenson again was like sinking into a warm, comfortable bath. This series is just fun in the purest sense of the word. It's a series that I can't wait to get my hands on the next one, and I hope it goes on for a very long time. I think I'd die if this was only a trilogy!

*There is not a moment of rest in these books, and I think that's why they're so quick to read. It's just one event after the other. Wh
***Possible spoilers for first book Kat Incorrigible***

After loving Kat, Incorrigible, it was a no-brainer to pick up this sequel, looking for another delightful adventure with Kat who now knows about her Guardian powers and is eager to learn more.

The book dives right back into the mischief, beginning with Kat's eldest sister marrying the wealthy young man she had fallen in love with in the previous book; the ceremony is interrupted when the middle sister's love's mother storms in, hellbent on p
E.M. Tippetts
Jul 11, 2011 E.M. Tippetts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
Kat Stephenson is back, and this time she and her sisters and brother are in Bath, where Stepmama hopes to find a suitable match for Angeline. Never mind that Angeline has already found her true love; his mother has put paid to that union. Kat would love to have her sister's ear, but Angeline isn't speaking to her. For that matter, neither are the Guardians after Kat loses her temper in front of their leader.

There is strange magic around the baths that give the English west country town its name
Michelle (Fluttering Butterflies)
This review was originally posted on Fluttering Butterflies

Oh, I love Kat Stephenson. And this book. I read A Tangle of Magicks by Stephanie Burgis very shortly after reading A Most Improper Magick and while I did worry for a minute that I might not like the sequel as much, my worries were completely unfounded. A Tangle of Magicks is so exciting and I really need more Kat in my life.

I really just can't get enough of Kat's Unladylike Adventures. Kat is just so much fun. I really love how A Tangle
Aug 06, 2011 Lyrical rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hoorah! Kat is back, perhaps not with a vengeance, but certainly to whoop some more bad guys into shape. I was hoping Kat would end up in Bath one day because of its popularity in the Regency period but actually, Stephanie Burgis has given a much better reason for the action to take place in Bath: it is full of wonderful myth and mystery that I didn’t know the half of before I read A Tangle of Magicks. I knew it went back to the Roman period but Steph takes us back long before that to the times ...more
Amy (Turn the Page)
A Tangle of Magicks, I’m happy to say, is even more enjoyable than, Kat, Incorrigible, the first book in this refreshing children’s series by Stephanie Burgis (my review of which, can be read here).

I was swept up in Kat’s latest adventure from beginning to end – in fact I finished it in one sitting. Best of all, the characters I grew to love from the first book are all back; we finally get to know a little more about Charles, Kat’s older brother; and see Kat and her father set out to rescue him
Miss Clark
Dec 12, 2011 Caroline rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
A Tangle of Magicks is the second book in the Unladylike Adventures of Kat Stephenson. I might say a few spoilers about the first book in this so be warned!

After the events taking place in the first book, Kat's family has entirely changed. Well, not exactly, her father still doesn't say much, her brother still sleeps all the time and her step-mother is as ruthless as ever. But Kat is now a Guardian, after inheriting her mother's power, Angeline is a witch and getting better at it and Elissa is
Deva Fagan
Mar 10, 2012 Deva Fagan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-read
Even better than the first! This is one of the best *sequels* I've ever read, too. I am so impressed by how the book drew me right back into Kat's world, reminding me of what I needed to know from the first book, without over-burdening the delicious new story.

I just love these characters so much! They're funny and charming and true, especially Kat herself.

And while the ending was completely satisfying, I'm even more eager now for the third book!
Patrick Samphire
The year is 1803, the place, the elegant city of Bath, and Kat Stephenson is back.

Those of you who read the first in this delightful middle-grade fantasy series will know exactly what to expect: mayhem, magic, and an utterly incorrigible heroine determined to upset just about any apple cart to protect her family and secure her older sisters the loves of their lives.

After Kat's sister, Angeline, is publicly exposed as a witch, Stepmama knows there's only one thing for it: to whisk the whole famil
Apr 08, 2012 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What can I say about how much I love this series? It’s magically delicious! RENEGADE MAGIC is book 2, following KAT, INCORRIGIBLE, which will be out in paperback in April. It’s Jane Austen for the Harry Potter crowd. Kat is the youngest of three girls. Her father is an absent-minded vicar and her stepmother is a horror. She’s not evil, she just desperately wants the family to be respectable and fine. Kat is not respectable. Her mother, you see, was a witch and the witchcraft has passed to her da ...more
Again the adventures of Kat Stevenson provided fun, intrigue and excitement but again the characters suffered from the same flaws which made for clumsy plot devices. Not enough faults for me to give up on her though and it was a fun read.
Caitlen Rubino-Bradway
Jessica at Book Sake
The second book in the Kat, Incorrigible series still has the charm, the Jane Austen style, and scheming, but maybe not quite as grand as the first. Maybe it was intentional because the book itself felt simpler, possibly to be more accessible to a younger audience.

That’s not to say the book isn’t enjoyable. Kat is still gets into all kinds of problems and is entirely unapologetic about it in the most charming way. But the problems aren’t quite as messy, the scheming isn’t quite as tricky, and th
Originally Reviewed on The Book Smugglers

It was a truth universally acknowledged that my brother Charles was a hopeless gamester, a ridiculous over-sleeper and the one sibling too lazy to take part in any family arguments, no matter how exasperating our sisters might have been (and usually were).

Kat Stephenson, untrained Guardian and youngest member of the Stephenson family, has saved the day, and now must deal with the consequences. Thanks to her efforts, Kat's eldest sister Elissa is marrying
I love this series so much but I have a sad feeling that it isn’t going to be as well-loved as it deserves to be. I’m not sure why, perhaps it’s probably because it’s more for younger young adults or because there’s no love story (unless you count Freddie, which you should. You should always count Freddie) and there’s no angst and the world isn’t complicated and edgy and it’s a magical-historical romp through Britain.

But… um… well, those are all the reasons why I adore Ms Burgis’ series. They’re
Review first posted on my blog, Dee's Reads

You know what they say about sequels?
Sequels are unfortunately, many times, less enticing than the first book in a series.
This books is prime example of why they say such things.

It took me so long to get through this book, which says a lot because it's a middle grade book. Why do I feel that it fell short? Let me list the ways…

-Kat seems to be almost a caricature of herself, even more incorrigible (ok, it's in the title, I get it), but she didn't just
Great read very innocent and a nice injection of excitement.
Becky B
Miss Elissa Stephenson's wedding turned out to be quite the event. Amazingly, none of that was her younger sister Kat's fault. But after Lady Carlyle comes barging into the wedding convinced her son has been magically duped into marrying some hussy witch (no thanks to Kat's arch-nemesis, Lady Fotherington). Of course, Lady Carlyle was mostly unfounded in her accusations, especially since Mr Carlyle was the best man and not the groom. But it did come out that he was planning on marrying Kat's sis ...more
Clare Cannon
Nov 28, 2013 Clare Cannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 13-15yrs
Another rollicking adventure involving the cluey Kat Stephenson in a magical Regency England. Like the first book there is much magic in this story, and though it is always easy to tell the good from the bad it is more suited to mature readers who will not be drawn in too easily. When an innocent person is roped into a magical power-seeking plot by an evil magician and a group of larrikin youths, Kat must use her minimal knowledge of magic and history to save him. There is Latin chanting and sac ...more
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
*Special Content only on my blog, Strange and Random Happenstance during Regency Magic (March & April 2015)

After Kat's sister Angeline loses her true love Fredrick during their older sister's wedding thanks to the interference of Lady Fotherington, the girls stepmother whisks them away to Bath to avoid scandal. With the public renouncing of Angeline as a witch their stepmother hopes that by going to Bath Angeline can get herself an eligible bachelor before the gossip reaches the resort town.
Katie Montgomery
I so wish these had been around when I was a kid. They are so much fun.
Ah, this was so good! I have no complaints. Though I'm generally not a big fan of Regency or magic, I have huge affection for this series so far and this was such an enjoyable read. The characters are so entertaining to read about and I love that they are so capable and don't make stupid decisions, yet they still find themselves in all manner of sticky situations. The plot went in loads of directions I didn't expect it to and the ending was very satisfying. Can't wait to see how it all ends!
Oct 06, 2016 Becca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun but not especially believable. It did cheer me up during a stressful day though.
  • Ordinary Magic
  • The Spy Princess
  • The Cup and the Crown (Silver Bowl, #2)
  • Castle of Shadows (Castle of Shadows, #1)
  • Castle Hangnail
  • The Wizard of Dark Street  (Oona Crate Mystery, #1)
  • The Power of Poppy Pendle
  • The Girl is Trouble (The Girl is Murder, #2)
  • Winterling (Winterling, #1)
  • Darkbeast (Darkbeast, #1)
  • Iron Hearted Violet
  • Handbook for Dragon Slayers
  • Magic Below Stairs
  • The Case of the Missing Moonstone (The Wollstonecraft Detective Agency #1)
  • Wednesdays in the Tower (Castle Glower, #2)
  • 13 Hangmen
  • The Magical Misadventures of Prunella Bogthistle
  • The Whispering House
I grew up in America, but now I live in Wales with my husband, fellow writer Patrick Samphire, our sons, "Mr Darcy" and "Baby X", and our crazy-sweet border collie mix, Maya. My MG Regency fantasy trilogy was published in the US as the KAT, INCORRIGIBLE trilogy and in the UK as THE UNLADYLIKE ADVENTURES OF KAT STEPHENSON. The trilogy also has a stand-alone epilogue - the YA novella COURTING MAGIC ...more
More about Stephanie Burgis...

Kat, Incorrigible (3 books)
  • Kat, Incorrigible (Kat, Incorrigible, #1)
  • Stolen Magic (Kat, Incorrigible, #3)