Start by marking “Knit Christmas Stockings!: 19 Patterns for Stockings and Ornaments” as Want to Read:
Knit Christmas Stockings!: 19 Patterns for Stockings and Ornaments

Knit Christmas Stockings!: 19 Patterns for Stockings and Ornaments

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  19 reviews
This volume has 19 fun, simple-to-follow patterns which make it easy for even first-time knitters to create beautiful Christmas stockings - not to mention delightful knit and felt ornaments for the tree. There are even patterns for the family dog and cat.
Published September 4th 2003 by Storey Publishing, LLC

To ask other readers questions about Knit Christmas Stockings!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Knit Christmas Stockings!

Pippi Longstocking by Astrid LindgrenInstruction Manual for the 21st Century Samurai by Alexei Maxim RussellThe Sock Wars by Maia SeppAlice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis CarrollConversations With the Fat Girl by Liza Palmer
Stocking Stuffers!
18th out of 21 books — 16 voters
Stitch 'n Bitch by Debbie StollerKnitting Without Tears by Elizabeth ZimmermannElizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac by Elizabeth ZimmermannThe Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns by Ann BuddKnitting Rules! by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee
Must-have Knitting Books
147th out of 151 books — 144 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelly H. (Maybedog)
So so. Some of the stockings are nice, many are horrendous. The stocking-shaped cover is a nice gimick to get you to look at the book but is annoying when trying to read it. A much better book is Christmas Stockings: 18 Holiday Treasures to Knit by Elaine Lipson.
Bridgett
Ok. I think this is the fastest turn around in reviewing a book, I have ever done. I got it literally two hours ago! This book was sent to me for review by the publisher.

I unwrapped it and stuck my nose in it.

Ok. I will start off by saying: I like this book!
I have recently reviewed a sock knitting book that left more than a bit to desire (Knit your socks on straight! BARF), so I was a bit shy at first when this tumbled out of the envelope.

After taking an overview of the book, I noticed right
Frances
Dec 12, 2013 Frances rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: knitters who want to make heirlooms
Shelves: crafts, netgalley-arc
There are stockings in here that I think will be perfect for various members of my family. The designs look like they will be easy enough to do with or without previous sock-knitting experience, though with that experience it will definitely be much easier. I've already made notes on several stockings for the family I think would like each one the most.

Loved:
Reindeer and Bells- for myself and my mom- we both love cables, and I loved it in white/cream colors
Star Brocade- I loved the subtle patt
Jessica N.
www.2thepointbooks.blogspot.com

I have always had grand dreams of knitting Christmas stocking for my children, but have never known where to start. Socks of any kind intimidate me, and adding cute charts makes me start to sweat. But this cute, beautifully photographed book has taken away most of the fear associated with trying something new.
What makes it so accessible and fun is that there is something for all levels of knitter. If you're like me (an advanced beginner), start out with something s
Anastacia
So let us begin, shall we?

Now, I want to start off by saying... I've never knit a Christmas stocking before. I know, I know.... though I've knit plenty of socks, I've never knit stockings, and I don't hang any up by the chimney with care, either... I have a store bought stocking for hubby, my parents & I and that's it. But maybe with this book... just maybe... that will change?

We start with the usual how to section, including how to knit, purl, increases and decreases, turn a heel (short row
Pamela D
This book was generously donated by Storey Publishing for review.

First Impressions: It is my favorite Christmas stocking book but updated! I own the first edition of this book, and I love it so much. I try to knit a Christmas stocking every year. Ooooh! The patterns have all been reknit with new yarns! Oooooh! The book looks so much more grownup too!

The Details: This book contains 19 patterns. Storey Publishing has updated the yarns for the new release and has reknit the stockings with the new y
Julie Barrett
Knit Christmas Stockings, 2nd Edition
19 Patterns for Stockings and Ornaments by Gwen W. Steege
Love the different samples shown before the books chapters. Gives you an idea of what the book has to offer.
Ornaments are the cutest ever and I love the other patterns, fair isle, Irish fisherman I have a hard time deciding which I'd want to make first.
Starts with what you need for materials, abbreviations and other helpful information.
Instructions are given row by row style with some chart instructions
Julie Barrett
Knit Christmas Stockings, 2nd Edition
19 Patterns for Stockings and Ornaments by Gwen W. Steege
Instructions are given row by row style with some chart instructions
Willa
I'm a big fan of Christmas, and was delighted to receive this book to review. The first thing about this book that I loved was the thumbnails in the table of contents. Most of the time, a table of contents will just be a list of pattern names, but by doing it this way, you get a preview of what the pattern is, and what it will look like. I just thought it was a nice touch.

Like most knitting books, this one begins with an overview of knitting. There is a list of items that you might want to have
Denise
I received a reviewer's copy of this book on Netgalley.

This is a fresh new edition of an earlier version of the book which apparently was shaped like a stocking! Earlier reviewers complained that it was hard to hold and knit from.This edition is the standard rectangle shape, should be easier for everybody.

Stockings are a great beginner knitting project, especially if you want to start making socks. It's one giant sock! No worries about making it fit any human feet, large yarn so it knits up fa
Belinda
This book is, as its title promises, a book containing patterns for knitted Christmas stockings. These socks are all up-sized socks, with proper heel turns and toes. The beauty of this book is that the patterns are differentiated by different techniques, like stranding, fair isle and texture. Some, like the Star Brocade Stocking, use texture to create an elegant, classy sock. The socks for pampered pets (with cat and dog-specific chartes included) are super cute and as soon as I saw the two-colo ...more
Jen Cragen (MKmaineknitter)
Gwen W. Steege has brought together nineteen fabulous patterns for Christmas time in her book Knit Christmas Stockings, 2nd Edition. These are as simple as a Rustic Lodge and as classic as the cabled Reindeer and Bells.

I especially enjoyed the ornaments. There are mini socks, sweaters, and mittens to make. As well as hearts, stars, and trees to decorate with. There's enough ideas to kit out a family, including puppy and kitty.

I gave the book 5/5 stars because there are so many cute projects that
Jen Cragen (MKmaineknitter)

I gave the book 5/5 stars because there are so many cute projects that
Kate
What a wonderful book of stocking and ornament patterns. I can hardly wait to try one, but first I have to choose a pattern out of the variety! The book reads well, has good illustrations with its instructions and the patterns are written in a simple, direct way. The variety is amazing, there are simple patterns to much more advanced. I don't feel intimidated by the more difficult patterns due to the layout. The variety of texture and colour is wonderful as well!! Thank you for a wonderful new e ...more
Ru
Very good selection of xmas stocking patterns - from the ridiculously ornate and complicated to the rustic, simple and good for beginners.
Jan
Several good patterns and charts for stranded knitting

Barb
Very cute ideas and a nice variety of projects from quick and easy to harder and more detailed.
Laura Hontz
Fun patterns - have made a few & found the patterns easy to follow.
Cassie
Great stocking patterns, with clear instructions for beginners.
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Knitter's Life List: To Do, To Know, To Explore, To Make Knit Hats!: 15 Cool Patterns to Keep You Warm Knit Baby Blankets! Knit Baby Head & Toes! 15 Cool Patterns to Keep You Warm The Search for the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie