Blue Revolution: Unmaking America's Water Crisis

Blue Revolution: Unmaking America's Water Crisis

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  50 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Americans see water as abundant and cheap: we turn on the faucet and out it gushes, for less than a penny a gallon. We use more water than any other culture in the world, much to quench what’s now our largest crop—the lawn. Yet most Americans cannot name the river or aquifer that flows to our taps, irrigates our food, and produces our electricity. And most don’t realize th...more
Published September 20th 2011 by Beacon Press (first published January 1st 2011)

Craig Pittman
Cynthia Barnett knows more about water production and consumption than anyone I ever met, and she shares a great deal of her hard-won knowledge in this astonishing book, which I highly recommend to anyone who drinks, bathes or sprinkles a lawn with the stuff. Barnett, formerly a reporter for "Florida Trend" magazine, first wrote about Florida's water woes in her terrific book "Mirage." Now she's tackled the American and global approach to water use and conservation in her new book, which checks...more
Emily
This book is lovely. Well researched and diverse in the scope of its water stories around the world, it strongly promotes a renewed water ethic for the United States rooted in reverence as well as pragmatism. Technology won't save us. We have to do more than throw money or legislation at the problems that face us. I don't know if Barnett's vision goes far enough, but it's a beautiful start.
Matthew
Excellent! Check out my full review on my blog at http://hydro-logic.blogspot.com/2011/...
Randy
Living in Prescott, AZ, we are a high-desert area that has been in drought for many years, with more to come. Water is a precious commodity, and there are constant arguments and discussions about our lack of it. Aquifers (the Little Chino and the Big Chino) are being depleted at a terrifying rate, and the Big Chino is the headwaters for the Verde River, one of only a few truly natural rivers left in Arizona that will surely dry up if enough water is siphoned out of that aquifer..

Water issues see...more
Efox
Cheap, abundant water is an illusion that American's have clung to for a long time. A lot of our solutions to continue this abundant and cheap facade going have actually exacerbated the problems that Americans are facing. Barnett takes a look at where we've been, where we are and where we're going in America if we don't change the way we think about and use our water.

Since this is the world I work in I was pretty familiar with a lot of the concepts of conservation and crisis of infrastructure a...more
Naia
This is such an important under discussed topic. Water is so overlooked in our society.

This book is a great introduction to the importance of water and how it is used.

The book felt very unbalanced; the transitions between chapters were abrupt. She often mentions topics in passing hinting at later discussion but they are never brought up again (infrastructure, mining, manufacturing, well and septic use, dam controversy).

The author focused many pages towards the wastefulness of watering lawns; y...more
Brian Bigelow
Water is a precious resource that needs to be carefully managed. It's something that has been largely overlooked as is stated in the book. I myself am a bit of a conservationist and yet sometimes I don't the careful usage of water.

To make the case for water conservation, Australia and Singapore are examples that are used for evidence. While Singapore isn't well known for having water issues. It's still an example of careful water management and future issues. Australia on the other hand is the...more
Beth
This is a very informative and important book about how we need to change our ethic in using water before it's all used up. It's especially relevant to people like myself living in the dry western US. Read it and change your ways!
Jennilyn Thiboult
Feb 11, 2012 Jennilyn Thiboult rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jennilyn by: Professor Klein
An eye opening book that exposes the reader to just how false a sense of security we had regarding the "abundance of water" in the US (and Florida as a resident).
Mike Caulfield
More like a 3.5, but really well researched and presented. And brings home what an important issue this is.
Sam
Extremely important to read for someone interested in the future of this planet (lol, EVERYONE!!).
Jennifer Hayward
Jennifer Hayward marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Wisdom Web Networking
Wisdom Web Networking marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Kat Duff
Kat Duff marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2013
Ellie Mctyre
Ellie Mctyre marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
Gillyweed Fisher
Gillyweed Fisher marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2013
Mark
Mark is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2013
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2013
Ismena
Ismena marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Cynthia Barnett is a long-time journalist who has reported on freshwater issues from the Suwannee River to Singapore. She is author of the new book Blue Revolution: Unmaking America’s Water Crisis, which calls for a water ethic for America.

The Boston Globe describes Ms. Barnett’s author persona as "part journalist, part mom, part historian, and part optimist." The Los Angeles Times writes that she...more
More about Cynthia Barnett...
Mirage: Florida and the Vanishing Water of the Eastern U.S. Rain: A Natural and Cultural History Blue Revolution: Unmaking America's Water Crisis A Delicate Balance: Constructing a Conservation Culture in the South Carolina Lowcountry