Start by marking “The Story of Che” as Want to Read:
The Story of Che

The Story of Che

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  23 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
This colorful story of how a boy from Guatemala came to be part of a family in the United States is a tool to introduce the topic of adoption to adopted and non-adopted children alike. Justin Walling chose to illustrate the family using birds of various colors, providing a platform for understanding the similarities and differences embedded in multi-cultural families. Alth ...more
Published September 21st 2011 by Fringe Squirrel Press

To ask other readers questions about The Story of Che, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Story of Che

Nov 10, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a first reader. This book is amazing if you have adopted a child- especially if it was international adoption. My husband and I are in the adoption process through the country of Columbia and our social worker suggests that we read books to our children that are age appropriate about adoption, this book is perfect. The author explains adoption through the story a a momma bird who adopts a baby bird from a different area. I don't want to give the story away- but it is supe ...more
Sharon Jenni
Nov 16, 2011 Sharon Jenni rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, first-reads
The gentle rhyme of this book makes it pleasing to the ear of children while teaching about adoption. In a matter of fact way, children are taught that adoption is a way to enter a family and that the family is no different from other families--a mother and a father providing for the needs of the children while teaching the children "what is wrong, what is right." The illustrations are bright and colorful. A book to be read to children born into families as well as through adoption.
Michelle Randall
Nov 07, 2011 Michelle Randall rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book in the mail on Saturday from the GoodReads First-Reads giveaway. What a wonderful program.

I loved the book. The sing-song rhythm of the verse is so catchy and easy to follow. It is great for children and adults of all ages.

Knowing a number of friends that have adopted children, this is the perfect story to read and begin the discussion about adoption. It should not be the only thing said, but it is a great, gentle way to start the conversation.

Shannon
Nov 07, 2011 Shannon rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free from a goodreads giveaway. This book was very well written and though is meant for adoption could also be used for a child who is going into a step family situation with just a few tweaks to the story. As far as for adoption, this is a great book for broaching the subject with young children in a story that they will be able to understand. I read it to my 2 year old granddaughter and she loved it.
Barbara
Oct 12, 2011 Barbara rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book and a must read for mothers of every walk of life. The amazing watercolor paintings illuminate this mother's story about her journey to adopt her son. It's a heartwarming tale about the loving intention of parents as their family unfolds. Beautiful and inspiring for everyone but especially for parents wanting to tell the story of adoption to their children.
Jen
Oct 13, 2011 Jen rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book about adoption and combining as a family that has biological children as well. The illustrations are beautiful and is a must read for children, and parents, world wide. The concept of the birds and building a nest/home weaves beautifully into the concept of building a family and the identity of family. Just cherishable...
Heather
Nov 05, 2011 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
The Story Of Che is a wonderful way to help young children understand adoption. The pictures were bright and attractive and the words simple, rhythmic, and repetitive to help engage a young child. This children’s book helps describe adoption and what is important in a family in a way that is easy and fun for a child.
AAnnieC
Nov 08, 2011 AAnnieC rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
The story of Che is of a mother explaining to her child he was adopted. It's words are rhythmic and you can feel the love the mother has for her adopted child. A very sweet story. I won this book through a Goodreads giveaweay.
Sarah Beth
Jan 09, 2012 Sarah Beth rated it really liked it
This book shows the acceptance of children for each other in any setting. It welcomes the new child to a new home and shows him how special we all are. Illustrations are also fantastic.
Chrislin
Jan 12, 2012 Chrislin rated it really liked it
I liked the book its just that the illistratons where a little to goffie for me I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads
Josiane
Nov 05, 2011 Josiane rated it it was amazing
A beautiful story for all adoptive mothers to read to their new member of the family.
Scott
Nov 04, 2011 Scott rated it really liked it
thanks goodreads.com for the cute book. I gave it to my neices and they loved it.
Jodi
Nov 05, 2011 Jodi rated it really liked it
A cute story of adoption and the power of a mothers love
Alec
Nov 07, 2011 Alec rated it really liked it
A nice story explaining adoption to younger children.
Tracie
Dec 10, 2011 Tracie rated it really liked it
This is a very cute book.....
Ljkeegan6
Aaron
Aaron rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2011
Rachel Cron
Rachel Cron rated it it was amazing
Nov 16, 2011
Kara
Kara rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2011
Sammy Keyes
Sammy Keyes rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2011
Cassie
Cassie rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2011