Start by marking “Abba, Give Me a Word: The Path of Spiritual Direction” as Want to Read:
Abba, Give Me a Word: The Path of Spiritual Direction

Abba, Give Me a Word: The Path of Spiritual Direction

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Published March 1st 2012 by Paraclete Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Abba, Give Me a Word, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abba, Give Me a Word

James
I do not see a spiritual director regularly; however I have benefited from spiritual direction at a couple of key moments in my life. I commend the practice to you and I think that this resource does a good job of talking about what spiritual direction is, what to expect from it, and what it means to receive direction. L. Roger Owens, is a pastor and has Spiritual wisdom of his own to impart; yet this book is primarily an opening up of his own journey and how his spiritual director helped him to ...more
Adam Shields
Book Review: Abba, Give Me A Word: The Path of Spiritual Direction by L Roger Owens - a short book about what spiritual direction looks like in practice. A lot of protestant Christians are unacquainted with spiritual direction. It is something that I think is missing in our tools for spiritual growth. It is sort of mentoring/counseling/friendship/accountability done on an intentional and regular basis for the purpose of growing spiritually.

Roger Owens isn't writing a book on how to be a spiritu
Mike Schutt
Pastor Owen's breezy style and grace-filled anecdotes won me over from the beginning. I was encouraged and challenged by his experiences, and I learned more than basic advice on seeking spiritual direction-- I caught a glimpse of the vulnerability, trust, and grace that are means to a deeper walk with God.
Pat Loughery
A nice, approachable, comfortable introduction to the practice of receiving spiritual direction. Broadly useful for many folks, and an encouraging look at spiritual growth from a directee's perspective.
Bill
Roger Owens writes really well about life as a rural Methodist minister near Louisburg, NC, where he found a spiritual director, who helped him develop a greater awareness of God's love.
Diana
I'm giving it way too much with 1 star. This is sophomoric writing. Don't waste your time. Read the great spiritual writers instead.
Dan Butcher
Dan Butcher marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Marty Newkirk
Marty Newkirk marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Seth Thomas
Seth Thomas marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2013
Cody
Cody marked it as to-read
May 30, 2013
Joanne Lum
Joanne Lum marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2013
Katie Vanbeek
Katie Vanbeek marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2012
Pam
Pam is currently reading it
Nov 22, 2012
Debo
Debo marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2012
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2012
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2012
Bart
Bart added it
Mar 08, 2012
Co-Pastor, Duke Memorial United Methodist Church, Durham, NC
More about L. Roger Owens...
The Shape of Participation: A Theology of Church Practices What We Need Is Here: Practicing the Heart of Christian Spirituality Wendell Berry and Religion: Heaven's Earthly Life Pastoral Work: Engagements with the Vision of Eugene Peterson