Start by marking “Harry Kitten and Tucker Mouse” as Want to Read:
Harry Kitten and Tucker Mouse

Harry Kitten and Tucker Mouse (Chester Cricket and His Friends #6)

New editions of old favorites

Published April 9th 2001 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR) (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Harry Kitten and Tucker Mouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harry Kitten and Tucker Mouse

Lisa Macklem
Dec 15, 2016 Lisa Macklem rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
The Garth Williams illustrations are what really make this book. I found the narrative a little too whimsical - and therefore hard to follow. There is the usual coming of age and facing down bully storyline. I did like the unlikely friends of a cat and a mouse which speaks volumes to tolerance between different people. So there are certainly lessons here of value to kids - and it is a kid's book at the end of the day...
Kate Matson
Summary:
New editions of old favorites Meet Harry Kitten and Tucker Mouse. No one would ever dream that a cat and mouse could become friends, but that doesn't stop Harry and Tucker.All they have is each other to depend on. Together they begin an exciting adventure throughout New York, searching for a home they can call their own. But the two friends run into some troublesome times in their journey around town. Is all hope lost? Where will they turn to next?
Plot:
Obviously, there really isn't a plo
Dominick
Well, this is a pleasant enough diversion, especially for the lovely Garth Williams illustrations. My favourite, I think, is the one of Harry and Tucker all soaked in the shower, but there are several delightful others. Williams illustrations will almost invariably move me to buy a book. The story is slight--as you might imagine, given the length. Harry and Tucker are orphans in New York City (the text hints at the trauma of the loss of their parents and siblings, without being explicit about it ...more
Johnny Bennett
Nov 03, 2012 Johnny Bennett rated it liked it
Another fun book in the set. Introducing how Harry Cat and Tucker Mouse became friends never seemed important before, I always just accepted it as the way things were. Now I know the back story. One thing that irks me about this book is that it is an easy pick for reading to kids but it has no chapters. One 79 page book with no breaks. You either insert your own stopping point or you power through the whole thing with your kids. Otherwise it is a great tale in typical Selden fashion. I didn't no ...more
Mary Jo Garcia-Brown
Selden, author of the classic "A Cricket in Times Square" writes delightful tales of brave, clever animals making their way in the Big Apple. Harry and Tucker are an unlikely pair of friends who navigate their way through the maze of New York in an earlier time until they find their place together.

The black and white illustrations of a fuzzy kitten and adorable mouse would be immensely appealing to children and would the anthropomorphized characters themselves. Harry and Tucker are quite human a
Emily
Jul 08, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
I read a portion of this story in our basal reader in elementary school. I loved it so much, I went straight to the library and checked out the full version. I don't remember all of the minute details, but I do remember reading it over and over. I was a very advanced reader for my age, but I always found joy in the simple stories, and this was a story that I loved. This would be a great read-aloud for a classroom, or for parents and child.
Jen Russell
Feb 01, 2012 Jen Russell rated it really liked it
Adorable story of how Harry and Tucker from A Cricket in Time Square ended up living together in a subway station in NYC. Prequel to A Cricket in... again, as will all books in this series, completely clean, nothing needed to be edited out. Nothing scary, but plenty of excitement. The boys loved these friends they have grown to know over the series.
Tina
Oct 12, 2014 Tina rated it it was amazing
Reading Level: Intermediate
Genre: Fantasy
Review: This is a book about a kitten and mouse who become friends, and end up braving New York's harshness together. I remember this book from my own childhood. The writing is witty and charming. The characters are lovable, and the illustrations are just fabulous (terrifying, at times!). This book also helps one visualize life in New York City.
Gianna Mosser
Dec 08, 2014 Gianna Mosser rated it it was amazing
We loved this book. The unlikely friendship, the wonderful illustrations, and the real fear and excitement of a pair of orphans in New York City. It took us two nights to finish, and we stayed up late to see how it would end because we didn't want to wait. I love when that happens.
B
Nov 22, 2012 B rated it liked it
Shelves: j-animals
This prequel to The Cricket in Times Square explains how Tucker and Harry find each other as young animals in New York and what they go through to find their home in the subway. Not as strong as The Cricket and much faster to read at 79 pages with many illustrations.
Lori Davidson
Jul 13, 2014 Lori Davidson rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-kid-in-me, own-it
We loved The Cricket in Times Square, so I knew we'd likely love other stories about these adorable characters. The only thing I, as the read-aloud reader, didn't like was the complete lack of chapter breaks.
Matthew
Sep 24, 2009 Matthew rated it really liked it
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
May 31, 2013
Kenny Tubbs
Kenny Tubbs rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2013
Ronda
Ronda rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2009
Dee
Dee rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2012
Marianna
Marianna rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2009
Eugenia
Eugenia rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2007
Shelley
Shelley rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2013
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2014
Sarah Bayless
Sarah Bayless rated it really liked it
May 09, 2015
Harle
Harle rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2011
Christine
Christine rated it really liked it
Jun 07, 2013
Sofi Eksanti
Sofi Eksanti rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2009
Gen Shaven
Gen Shaven rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2013
Maxaya Vuong
Maxaya Vuong rated it liked it
Mar 01, 2015
Amatullah
Amatullah rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2014
Sarah rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Marko-Michael
Marko-Michael rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Miss Bianca (The Rescuers, #2)
  • Willy and Hugh
  • The Mousewife
  • The Adventures of Johnny Chuck
  • More About Paddington (Paddington, #2)
  • The Black Star of Kingston (The Green Ember #0.5; Tales of Old Natalia #1)
  • The Little Leftover Witch
  • Adventures Beyond Nutmouse Hall (Tumtum and Nutmeg #1-3)
  • The School Mouse
  • In the Forest
  • The Mouse with the Question Mark Tail
  • Titanicat
  • Dreams
George Selden (1929-1989) was the author of The Cricket in Times Square, winner of the 1961 Newbery Honor and a timeless children's classic. Born in Hartford, Connecticut, Selden received his B.A. from Yale, where he was a member of the Elizabethan Club and contributed to the literary magazine. He spent three summer sessions at Columbia University and, after college, studied for a year in Rome on ...more
More about George Selden...

Chester Cricket and His Friends (7 books)
  • The Cricket in Times Square