Chester Cricket's Pigeon Ride

Chester Cricket's Pigeon Ride (Chester Cricket and His Friends #4)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Chester Cricket--the famous cricket in Times Square--is homesick. When his friend Mario takes him to a sky show at the Planetarium, Chester realizes how much he misses seeing real stars at night.

Happily, he finds his way out of the subway into Times Square, where he meets a new friend, Lulu Pigeon. Lulu takes him on a trip beyond his wildest dreams. From Central Park to th...more
Published April 9th 2001 by Square Fish (first published 1981)

Josiah
It is a lot of fun to revisit the characters that made such an indelible impact on me in the classic "The Cricket in Times Square". I'm glad that George Selden elected to write so many companion books to the original.
The story in Chester Cricket's Pigeon Ride is nice, and worth reading, but in my thinking what really makes this book unusual is the breathtaking illustrations of Garth Williams. I have never seen his drawings quite like this, at a level of skillful magnitude that had me quite lit...more
Patti
“Chester Cricket’s Pigeon Ride” is another spin-off adventure from George Selden’s “ wonderful “A Cricket in Times Square”. It is a short story where Chester is whisked away on a tour of New York City on the back of his new friend, Lulu pigeon. Chester visits all the sights that everyone must see on a visit to the famous city, including Central Park, the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty.

It is short and sweet, and an easy read. It would be a fun read for any child who has been, or...more
Kristin
I picked this up in the library thinking it might be a potential book club choice if I ever got around to starting a book club at school. I never got the book club off the ground but I did read this book over a few days and I enjoyed it.

I can imagine few things more sickeningly sweet than a homesick cricket hitching a ride on the back of a pigeon. The book is well written, though, and makes for a very fast read due in part to the extensive illustrations. The drawings make up about 45% of the boo...more
Susan
The best the best the best. Garth Williams is my favorite illustrator. This an "old style" children's book that actually has a real story and some meat to it. I loved it. The spectacular Williams' pen and inks of a cricket's view of New York City from the back of a pigeon (yes!) alone is enough to get this five stars--six if that was on offer. And George Selden's story is of course fabulous as well. (And for those who love them. some gorgeous pictures of Tucker mouse and Harry cat.)
Isabel
This one is a real showcase of Garth William's illustrations. The story is limited to animal interactions, though, so, again, I don't think it is nearly as good as The Cricket in Times Square. That being said, I imagine it's really popular with Manhattanites. The brief bit of history and the tour that Chester takes are very flattering to the city and would make a loyal NYer feel proud.
Johnny Bennett
When I put this on hold at the library I didn't realize this wasn't a chapter book like the rest of the series. It is long picture book instead. It is also interesting in that it brings up characters from throughout the series but the plot puts it in the middle of Cricket in Times Square.
Kerri
A cute novella that seems to be either an ode to New York or one person's imagining of what it would be like to soar freely over the city or both.
Alice
Since my 4 & 6 year old girls LOVED A Cricket in Times Square, they knew the characters, and this was a short and fun read aloud for us to share.
Michelle Wardhaugh
Apr 01, 2011 Michelle Wardhaugh added it
Recommended to Michelle by: mich@skynetbb.com
That was sure a quick read. Cute, but very, very short.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Durene
Durene marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Boys
Boys marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Christie
Christie marked it as to-read
May 12, 2014
Emma
Emma added it
Apr 27, 2014
Laura Abro
Laura Abro marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Alexandra Alaimo
Alexandra Alaimo marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Kristine Pratt
Kristine Pratt marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Omar Bedda
Omar Bedda marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
George Selden (1929-1989) was the author of The Cricket in Times Square, winner of the 1961 Newbery Honor and a timeless children's classic. Born in Hartford, Connecticut, Selden received his B.A. from Yale, where he was a member of the Elizabethan Club and contributed to the literary magazine. He spent three summer sessions at Columbia University and, after college, studied for a year in Rome on...more
More about George Selden...
The Cricket in Times Square Tucker's Countryside Harry Cat's Pet Puppy Harry Kitten and Tucker Mouse Chester Cricket's New Home