Start by marking “Chester Cricket's Pigeon Ride” as Want to Read:
Chester Cricket's Pigeon Ride

Chester Cricket's Pigeon Ride (Chester Cricket and His Friends #4)

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  177 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Chester Cricket--the famous cricket in Times Square--is homesick. When his friend Mario takes him to a sky show at the Planetarium, Chester realizes how much he misses seeing real stars at night.

Happily, he finds his way out of the subway into Times Square, where he meets a new friend, Lulu Pigeon. Lulu takes him on a trip beyond his wildest dreams. From Central Park to th
Published April 9th 2001 by Square Fish (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Chester Cricket's Pigeon Ride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chester Cricket's Pigeon Ride

The Legacy by Suzanne de MontignyNobody Loves a Bigfoot Like a Bigfoot Babe by Simon OkillPhantom Bigfoot & The Vampettes From Venus by Simon OkillSong for Papa Crow by Marit MenzinPhantom Bigfoot Strikes Again by Simon Okill
Animals in their own World
35th out of 146 books — 167 voters
The Rabbits' Wedding by Garth WilliamsBedtime for Frances by Russell HobanCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteStuart Little by E.B. WhiteLittle House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Best of Garth Williams
43rd out of 81 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Kate Matson
This was a cute short-story about Chester Cricket going on a real adventure with his new friend, Lulu.
It was an enjoyable read that was a very short book that was readable in one sitting. It had beautiful drawings that pulled the story together. Without the drawings, it would be a wimpy, 20-paged book. But it wasn't, and therefore, it was adorable. Since it was a children's book, there was no plot. It was just Chester and Lulu flying around New York exploring.
I rated it 3 stars because it was m
Josiah
Apr 11, 2009 Josiah rated it liked it
It is a lot of fun to revisit the characters that made such an indelible impact on me in the classic "The Cricket in Times Square". I'm glad that George Selden elected to write so many companion books to the original.
The story in Chester Cricket's Pigeon Ride is nice, and worth reading, but in my thinking what really makes this book unusual is the breathtaking illustrations of Garth Williams. I have never seen his drawings quite like this, at a level of skillful magnitude that had me quite lit
Frank Mongelluzzo
Mar 17, 2015 Frank Mongelluzzo rated it liked it
It was good however misleading. I was hoping it would be chester's return to NY but It was nothing more than a missing "chapter" to the first book "A Cricket in Times Square"
Patti
May 04, 2013 Patti rated it liked it
“Chester Cricket’s Pigeon Ride” is another spin-off adventure from George Selden’s “ wonderful “A Cricket in Times Square”. It is a short story where Chester is whisked away on a tour of New York City on the back of his new friend, Lulu pigeon. Chester visits all the sights that everyone must see on a visit to the famous city, including Central Park, the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty.

It is short and sweet, and an easy read. It would be a fun read for any child who has been, or
Kristin
Nov 14, 2011 Kristin rated it liked it
I picked this up in the library thinking it might be a potential book club choice if I ever got around to starting a book club at school. I never got the book club off the ground but I did read this book over a few days and I enjoyed it.

I can imagine few things more sickeningly sweet than a homesick cricket hitching a ride on the back of a pigeon. The book is well written, though, and makes for a very fast read due in part to the extensive illustrations. The drawings make up about 45% of the boo
Susan
Aug 15, 2014 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
The best the best the best. Garth Williams is my favorite illustrator. This an "old style" children's book that actually has a real story and some meat to it. I loved it. The spectacular Williams' pen and inks of a cricket's view of New York City from the back of a pigeon (yes!) alone is enough to get this five stars--six if that was on offer. And George Selden's story is of course fabulous as well. (And for those who love them. some gorgeous pictures of Tucker mouse and Harry cat.)
Isabel
This one is a real showcase of Garth William's illustrations. The story is limited to animal interactions, though, so, again, I don't think it is nearly as good as The Cricket in Times Square. That being said, I imagine it's really popular with Manhattanites. The brief bit of history and the tour that Chester takes are very flattering to the city and would make a loyal NYer feel proud.
Johnny Bennett
Mar 09, 2013 Johnny Bennett rated it liked it
When I put this on hold at the library I didn't realize this wasn't a chapter book like the rest of the series. It is long picture book instead. It is also interesting in that it brings up characters from throughout the series but the plot puts it in the middle of Cricket in Times Square.
Kerri
Dec 16, 2011 Kerri rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
A cute novella that seems to be either an ode to New York or one person's imagining of what it would be like to soar freely over the city or both.
Alice
Jan 08, 2012 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
Since my 4 & 6 year old girls LOVED A Cricket in Times Square, they knew the characters, and this was a short and fun read aloud for us to share.
Michelle Wardhaugh
Apr 01, 2011 Michelle Wardhaugh added it
Recommended to Michelle by: mich@skynetbb.com
That was sure a quick read. Cute, but very, very short.
Caroline Adams
Caroline Adams marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
The Docta
The Docta marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Deeon
Deeon marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Jesse
Jesse added it
Jun 22, 2016
Kimi
Kimi added it
Jun 10, 2016
Sanaa
Sanaa rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Ji Jun
Ji Jun rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2016
Sarah Greider
Sarah Greider rated it liked it
May 22, 2016
HSMomaNap
HSMomaNap marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Kyle
Kyle marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Mariah Logsdon
Mariah Logsdon marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Andrea Willson
Andrea Willson marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Lina Espinosa
Lina Espinosa marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Penny
Penny marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Bart Montgomery
Bart Montgomery is currently reading it
May 03, 2016
Jeannienovack
Jeannienovack rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
  • Paddington Helps Out (Paddington, #3)
  • The First Dog
  • The Firefighters' Busy Day
  • Willy and Hugh
  • Little Fur Family
  • Doctor De Soto Goes to Africa
  • Miss Bindergarten Stays Home from Kindergarten
  • Miss Bianca (The Rescuers, #2)
  • Golden Legacy: How Golden Books Won Children's Hearts, Changed Publishing Forever, and Became An American Icon Along the Way
  • The Littles Take A Trip
  • The Golden Book of Fairy Tales
George Selden (1929-1989) was the author of The Cricket in Times Square, winner of the 1961 Newbery Honor and a timeless children's classic. Born in Hartford, Connecticut, Selden received his B.A. from Yale, where he was a member of the Elizabethan Club and contributed to the literary magazine. He spent three summer sessions at Columbia University and, after college, studied for a year in Rome on ...more
More about George Selden...

Chester Cricket and His Friends (7 books)
  • The Cricket in Times Square