Start by marking “Lone Wolf (Wolves of the Beyond, #1)” as Want to Read:
Lone Wolf (Wolves of the Beyond, #1)

Lone Wolf (Wolves of the Beyond #1)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  4,933 ratings  ·  398 reviews
Spinoff from owl Guardians of Ga'hoole introduces Faolan, newborn wolf pup with a twisted leg. Harsh code of the pack demands such weakness be abandoned on a desolate hill. But alone in the wilderness, Faolan does not perish - a tale of survival, courage, and love triumphant.
Published 2010 by Scholastic, Inc.

Whitlea
I was really surprised that I didn't like this one. I had enjoyed what I had read of Lasky's Ga'hoole series, and I was expecting this to be comparable in quality to that.

There were two main issues I had with this book. The first one is that it is horribly dull. The beginning was very exciting, but the first two parts were uninteresting. It didn't help that the main character doesn't have that much of a personality. It started to pick up around the end, but it was too little too late for me.

Th
Chelsea Trent
This book is of a series of 4 books with the mystifying adventures of a young wolf pup named Foalan. I am currently reading the 2nd book: Watch Wolf. Growing up i've had an undying passion for wolves, i raised two wolf pups, Megan and Shiba, of which I found as orphans and decided to adopt them. My friend recommended this book to me as she noticed i am obsessed with wolves. This book tells of a wolf pup who was exiled from his pack due to being "diffirent" Seperated from his pack and parents, he ...more
Cindy
This book frustrated me. I loved Laskey's past series on owls so it could only be assumed that this book would be similar but with wolves. However, it wasn't.

A few of my problems included -

-This book was a lot of "tell" not show. There were pages of descriptions, describing wolf packs, habits, personality, behaviors. There isn't a lot of character interaction, and it almost feels like I'm reading a textbook. The author picks up conversations in the last 30 pages or so but by then it lost me.

Marie Gentilcore
This book was recommended to me by my 9-yr old son. He read it in class and loved it and thought I would enjoy it as well. I am so glad I read it, it was a really well told story of a wolf named Faolan who was born "malcadh" which meant he had some type of disability which in his case was a splayed paw with a swirl on the bottom pad. Malcadh pups are taken away and left to die to keep the packs strong and healthy. Faolan was rescued by a grizzly bear named Thunderheart who had just lost a cub an ...more
Jacki
Born with a splayed paw with an odd spiral design on the pad, Faolan is left to die. But Fate intervenes and the moments old wolf pup is quickly adopted by a heartbroken grizzly bear, affectionately named Thunderheart. Lone Wolf is the story of Faolan's first year of life.

I have not yet read the previous owl series by the same author, so I really had no idea what to expect. I was more than pleasantly surprised and am looking forward to sharing this book and the rest in the series with my son.

I
Teadrinkingcat (Alex!!!)
Being a fan of animal fantasies, I decided to buy this quick read at my school book fair. Not worth the ten dollars. At least, not yet.

This book starts off fairly amazing, with creative ranks and how the Packs work. I did realize how large the writing font was, and it slightly worried me. But I'm used to reading short books, like Warriors.
Anyway, the writer did seem to know what she was talking about. Being a wolf lover myself, I know tons of facts about these beautiful creatures. If I was about
Wendy ~M/M Junkie~
This was an amazing and beautiful story. I read it with my son and we both loved it.

A litter of wolf pups was born. The smallest one has been born with a defect. His paw is splayed, any birth defects are not tolerated at all. His mother had tried to hide him but the packs Obeya has found him. Her job is to take the pups that are not perfect and leave them alone to die somewhere in the wild away from the packs.
She does her job and doesn't look back leaving him on the breaking ice on the river. Th
Zach Densley
I feel as if this series is very good.Personally I think LONE WOLF is the best book out of all of the books i've ever read . it starts out with an a pup named foalan that was taken by an obea to his tummfraw to die.his tummfraw was a icey river that will soon break into a massive river.And before you know it he was saved by a grizzly mother that was named thunder heart by foalan and soon became his mother.The massive bear took care of him and tought him many things. I can think of a couple of th ...more
Melanie
I want to start off by saying that I generally love Kathryn Lasky's books- I read all but a couple of the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series and all of her additions to the Royal Diaries series and thought they were fantastic. This book however was surprisingly dull. I wanted so much to like this book and, it being a kind of "kid's book" thought I would finish it in about a day when it actually took me about 3-4 days. I had to force myself to pick it up and slog through it- working diligently just to ...more
Kellee
Reviewed at: http://www.teachmentortexts.com/2012/...

A student who is in my yearbook class was so excited when he saw my classroom library that he came bounding over to me the first week and asked me, "You have so many books! So you read a lot, right? Have you read Wolves of the Beyond?!" He was so excited. And how can a teacher kill a kid's excitement in 2 seconds? By answering, "No. I'm not sure what that is..." Well, he was so flabbergasted by my lack of knowledge that he brought me the book
Shelli
I first discovered Lasky when I saw the stunning and emotional Guardians movie in theaters. The beautiful animation and the heartfelt story grabbed me and never let me go until the end.

Unfortunately when I picked up the book series Guardians of Ga'Hoole, I found myself disappointed. The story wasn't nearly as gripping at the plotline of the movie (which they changed quite a bit), and the characters felt flat and one-dimensional. I read the first three books of the series and no more.

Despite how
Melinda Voong
Personally, it wasn't that interesting to me. It doesn't have that much... Excitement, a hook to catch me on. I mean, the main thing I disliked though was the blandness of the main character.

The main character was too... How should I put this? Too overpowered. I get it's fictional, but this is based on survival and that kind of stuff, right? Then wolves should not be able to walk on two legs, be able to jump and pull down a cougar, and jump over a huge wall of fire. Like, seriously. If that isn'
Steven R. McEvoy
This story was amazing! It reads like a cross between The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling and A Wolf Story by James Byron Huggins, both of which I love and have reread many times. The story is powerful and compelling. It is the first book set in the world of Ga'Hoole that does not focus primarily on the Owl kingdoms. It was wonderful to read, and I immediately started book two after finishing book one. I could not wait until I had even written my review. I had to know what happened next.

It is the
Andrew
Raymond Xu
I was really bored so I took out a random back from my book shelve and I started reading this. The book was interesting enough for me to read the whole thing.

Theme:
The theme of this book is not to care what others think or say to you. Faolan is a wolf, but later got separated from his parents because he was deformed. He was raised by a grizzly, thinking his parents abandoned him. Faolan is a strong both physically and literally. He is bold and doesn't care what people say to him. In it states,"
Carly Enman
Wolves of the beyond: lone Wolf is about a wolf pup named Foalan, who was born with a splayed paw and an unusual spiral marking on his paw pad. Due to the harsh customs to keep the bloodlines healthy and not have any more "Cursed pups" born, the mother is sent away from her clan, and the pup is taken by an obea (Wolf that cannot breed, so instead takes away all pups with deformities) to die. Foalan survives, and is found by a grizzly bear whom he dubs the name "ThunderHeart" because of the loud ...more
Katie
I think this book is really good in some parts and sad in other parts. a summary of this book would be, in the beggining a mom wolf had three cubs and one cub has a splayed paw so a wolf of the pack has to take the wolf to a spot where it can't survive a mama bear finds the cub and takes it as its own because her cubs were eaten by another animal. also in the begginig the wolf is finally loved by someone. in the middle the mama bear teaches the cub to hunt and to catch its own fish. the mama bea ...more
Kurt Seipp
This is a book that will appeal to those who always want to cheer for the little guy and see him over come the obstacles they are faced with. The story is about a wolf pup who is abandoned do to his birth defect and has no one to turn to and left for dead. He is found by a mother bear who raises him the way she would raise her cub. Now the young wolf must adapt to his new way of life and find his own way when his mother is taken away from him and he truly becomes a loan wolf. It has a very descr ...more
Zach D
The book Wolves Of The Beyond,Lone Wolf Was surprisingly great. First the small wolf that was born with a splayed paw was put on a river by an obea(a wolf that puts pups in places to die) for death.
The small pup does the unthinkable he survives.He was saved by a grizzly and mothered by her too.After winter,the pup named foalan finds out that his mother is gone.Now he has to find a pack and serve as a gnaw wolf with a life of torture.also the little pup is always making new friends.then going to
Dakota
The plot of this book has to do with a wolf pup born with a deformed paw and mother had died. But he was raised by a bear who found him in a stream and fished him out of the water.he later became to be the biggest and mos beutiful wolf in a pack which he had found.I could relate to the main caracter foalan who has ups and downs in his experiences but has a side activity which he enjoys and is good at.I liked this book because it puts you into another world of sorts. my favorite part was when he ...more
Monica!
I'm interested to see where the rest of the series goes from here, since as of right now, Faolan the Wolf is pretty much a god. Stolen from his mother and raised by a grizzly bear, he can walk on his back legs! He can leap huge distances! He's ridiculously intelligent! He has psychic visions! He possesses deep, primal, spiritual knowledge! He's a phenomenal artist! He can walk invisibly through the shadows! His paw has magic powers!!!!!!!

Presumably in book two he will sprout wings, and maybe inv
Anna Camp
Title- Wolfs of the Beyond: Lone Wolf

Author- Katheryn Lasky

Main Characters- Faolan, Thunderheart

Plot Summary- Away from the Macduncan wolf pack, a she-wolf Morag hobbles into the woods alone, her large belly swinging back and forth as she ventures deeper, and farther away from her pack. There, she gives birth to three beautiful pups. Two of the pups were perfect. They were amazingly healthy from head to toe, though as for the third pup, not so much. The third pup was branded with a defected paw,
Opal Lee
I picked this up from the school library when I was in grade 6. Initially, as a year 5, I remembered the owl series to be rather dull and still somewhat thrilling.
As a wolf lover and a child ever thirsty for stories based on the perspective of an animal (especially predatory animals like wolves, lions, bears, etc.), I was absolutely delighted to find this lodged between a shelf of unruly books and stickiness. My friend had recommended this highly to me and my enthusiasm only increased from there
Aოჩεɾհε❤ɾէ
I apologize for my overuse of The Lion King gifs.

Now, Wolves of the Beyond is one of my favorite series. I read it after it came out; in fact way after, but I read the reviews halfway through the book. I love this series. But the first book is pretty bad. The rest is amazing, but here Kathryn Lasky made a mistake. If you make a crappy first book, then the other books are not going to be read much. Of course, I kept reading anyway. Books two and three were better, and books 4-6 were amazing. But
Vicki
Kids who love the Guardian of Ga'Hoole series are going to love this one, a promising start to a new series by Kathryn Laskey. Faolan is one of the support characters in the Ga'Hoole books, and this book is all about him, a young wolf pup taken from his mom shortly after birth and left to die on the riverbank because of a slight paw deformity. Wonderfully researched in terms of wolf behaviour. I'll be watching the rest of the series as Faolan's story unfolds.
Sabrina Crockett
I think it was a really amazing book! It was about a wolf called Faolan and his life when he was a pup and growing up. Faolan was born a malcaldh which is a old wolf word for cursed. He was a malcaldh because 1 of his paw's was twisted with the toes sticking out unusual with a swirled paw pad. I can say to much or I'll ruin it so thats all! P.S this is a highly recommend this/these book(s)to people that like wolves, magic, and adventure books.
M.
Faolan was born with a misshapen foot and according to the rules of the wolf pack, he had to be taken from his mother and left to die. He was found by a she bear who had lost her cub and the bear adopted him and reared him. After a series of explorations, mishaps, and adventures, it was time for him to join a wolf pack. But is he a wolf or something else?

A excellent coming of age story, warm, easily read. There are "foreign" words, words in bear and in wolf and in owl, but they're not difficult
Frankie
I have read all fifteen of the Guardians of Ga'Hoole books, so I just had to read this other book by Kathryn Lasky. In this series, Wolves of the Beyond, Faolan is the main character. In the language of bears, "fao" means both "wolf" and "river", and "lan" means "gift". Therefore, Faolan is a wolf gift from the river. Read this book to learn about Faolan's fascinating young life, and see him join the MacDuncan clan at the very end.
Frank Sweeney
Very boring and not character driven like the amazing Guardians of Ga'hoole book series.

It's hard to read this book because you can tell the authors heart belongs with her guardians books and not this series....

It's hard not to compare but Guardians of Ga'Hoole has a living, breathing world full of murder, family betrayal, action, cults, brainwashing and phenomenal characters.

This book really dragged for me and the writing doesn't have the pacing and the meticulous care that The Guardians book
Abbeygail
faolns(excuse me if i misppled the name)epic adventure and love of all nature inspires me. his lovable grizzly mother and mysterious paw are just up anybody's ally. (animal lovers will hallucinate about this book) with distinct richness and a dazzling potential its a good read.

p.s.- I've already read up to the current novel! they are truly delicious and i cant wait till the next one! i highly reccomend it!
How noble are the clan wolves to you? 3 14 Apr 22, 2014 08:19AM
How is this book??? 2 5 Apr 14, 2014 06:37PM
Wolves Of The Beyond Lone Wolf 1 4 Mar 27, 2014 07:39PM
lone wolf 11 27 Sep 17, 2013 09:33AM
Class of 2014: Wolves of the Beyond 1 6 Jun 03, 2013 10:08AM
Lone Wolf 1 7 Mar 01, 2013 04:33AM
  • Lost Tales Of Ga'Hoole (Guardians Of Ga'hoole)
  • SkyClan's Destiny
  • The Tygrine Cat
  • Ratha's Creature (The Named, #1)
  • Runt
  • Promise of the Wolves (Wolf Chronicles, #1)
Kathryn Lasky is the American author of many critically acclaimed books, including several Dear America books, several Royal Diaries books, 1984 Newbery Honor winning Sugaring Time, The Night Journey, and the Guardians of Ga'Hoole series. She lives in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Her latest book, Guardians of Ga'Hoole Book 15: The War of the Ember, was released on November 1, 2008. Guardians of Gahoo ...more
More about Kathryn Lasky...
The Capture (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #1) The Journey (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #2) The Rescue (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #3) The Siege (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #4) The Burning (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #6)

“Cycling, cycling forever
bear, wolf, caribou.
When had it all started, where will it end?
We are all part of one, from such simple beginnings and yet all so different.
Yet one.
One and again.”
11 likes
“You must not think of time as a quantity, a period, a measure. Look at the sky," Gwynneth said. "The moon has now slipped away to another night, into another world. It was not the time it was here that you remember, Faolan, but rather the luminescence of the air, the blue shadows cast by the trees in its light. It was not the length of the time but the quality of the moon's light that you felt and remember." Gwynneth paused. "It is the value, the quality that lives on.” 7 likes