Start by marking “The Secret Files of the Diogenes Club” as Want to Read:
The Secret Files of the Diogenes Club

The Secret Files of the Diogenes Club (The Diogenes Club #2)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  199 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
From the 1860s to the present, these are the accounts of the Diogenes Club, whose agents solve crimes too strange for Britain's police, protecting the realm and this entire plane of existence from occult menaces, threats born in other dimensions, magical perfidy and the Deep Dark Deadly Ones. Kim Newman continues the series began in The Man From the Diogenes Club, revealin ...more
Published October 17th 2007 by MonkeyBrain

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Files of the Diogenes Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Files of the Diogenes Club

colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
3 1/2 overall

A collection of Secret History stories by Kim Newman, the author of one of my favorite vampire novels ever (which is also an historical fiction): Anno Dracula.

This story takes us through the files of the Diogenes Club, the club founded by Sherlock's cleverer brother Mycroft. In the Sherlock Holmes stories, Mycroft is clever, but lazy. In these stories, Mycroft merely wishes to remain out of the public spotlight, since his Club deals with mysteries of a more occult nature - thus, the
Dan O'Hare
May 11, 2009 Dan O'Hare rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, though I didn't think I would. Newman did a good job of pulling me into the world of these characters, spanning nearly a century easily, something I generally don't like. I'm not sure what kind of book this is, science fiction, fantasy, mystery, something in-between, but I would recomend it to anyone looking for something a little off the beaten path.
Mercurybard
Apr 28, 2008 Mercurybard rated it really liked it
A short story collection about London's least-known intelligence service. I'm not done with it yet, but so far, we've dealt with faeries and changelings, a merman imprisoned by religious fanatics, Charles Manson, and some nightmares from the Lovecraft mythos. I'm usually not a fan of short stories, but this collection intrigued me.
Frankie
Mar 20, 2009 Frankie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I picked this book up based on reading another short story by Kim Newman (also about the Diogenes Club). This book follows an interesting set of characters with different (paranormal) powers, and kind of gives the background to the story I had originally read.
Nancy Oakes
Sep 02, 2015 Nancy Oakes added it
Shelves: fantasy
More later.

For now, I read this book yesterday as part of a general mental health day. It is not great literature, but rather the book equivalent of comfort food.
Chris Cangiano
Jul 07, 2015 Chris Cangiano rated it really liked it
Set in an alternative Earth different from our own and from Newman's Anno Dracula world, Newman crates a world where Lovecraftian horrors, egomaniacal super-powered individuals, and invaders from the world of the Fae seek to conquer or destroy the humanity, and only one group stands in the way of this cosmic jiggery-pokery, the Diogenes Club. Once led by the inimitable Mycroft Holmes, the Club, reputed to be filled with the most unclubbable men in all of England, stands ready to fight the good f ...more
Riju Ganguly
Jun 24, 2011 Riju Ganguly rated it it was amazing
This is the time when Kim Newman fans have their time under the sun/moon, as Da Man's new book becomes available, allowing us to read atleast one new story. In this collection we get the opprtunity to read total seven stories, which are:

1. "Gypsies in the Wood", a perfectly creepy novella that re-introduces us to Charles Beauregard and Katherine Reed.
2. "Richard Riddle, Boy Detective", a horror story told in Enid-Blyton's style, complete with ciphers (used in the cover of the book, as well).
Morgan
Feb 11, 2012 Morgan rated it it was amazing
I believe there are two ways of successfully writing genre fiction in this day and age, you either write for your world and put blinders on trying to block out anything that has come before, or you openly embrace the history and give the fans exactly what they want. The danger of the second strategy is that an author can come away looking like they are writing fanfic, their self-conscious quality can interfere with good storytelling, or the placating fan service yields a lazy dependence on trope ...more
Tarl
Oct 01, 2011 Tarl rated it really liked it
Shelves: steampunk
There is one thing I love about Kim's work, it's that he always adds in little easter eggs into it. Be it references to other works or his own (though in a different timeline, etc), it always is interesting to see the connection. In this series of stories he added a character from the Warhammer series about a vampire, which I thought was too cool.

Anyway, onto the book itself. Much like the book before this, this one collects a rather entertaining series of stories together. I enjoyed them all to
Karlo
Loved this book and the series it falls into from Kim Newman. I will happily buy any book Newman puts out because it always turns out to be worth my time.
Pól
Nov 23, 2012 Pól rated it it was amazing
I can't say enough about Newman's stuff, especially the Diogenes Club stories. Wonderful Wold Newton style use of historical and literary characters in some really fun pastiches. Definitely hits me where I live.
James Debruicker
Dec 04, 2010 James Debruicker rated it really liked it
See my other Diogenes Club review. This collection spans a greater period of time, and he has a Dramatis Personae and glossary in the back to make Spot The Reference easier. Still great, though.
Jeremiah Genest
Nov 06, 2007 Jeremiah Genest rated it really liked it
I have a fond spot in my heart for the stories of the Diogenes club, which I think is amongst Newman's best work. This volume, about 2/3rds I'd read ebfore, certainly didn't disappoint.
Fil
Mar 13, 2009 Fil rated it liked it
This book only gets better as you get into it though the first story was a tough read to get through.
Shannon Lewis
Shannon Lewis marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
JKK
JKK marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Nurse_clavell
Nurse_clavell rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2016
nlytmr
nlytmr marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Chris Koch
Chris Koch marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Mandy
Mandy marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Randy
Randy added it
Apr 03, 2016
Yvonne
Yvonne marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2016
Dave Bobak
Dave Bobak marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Derek Lang
Derek Lang marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
[Name Redacted]
[Name Redacted] marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Tony Entrekin
Tony Entrekin marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2016
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Alexandra Geary
Alexandra Geary rated it it was ok
Mar 08, 2016
  • Gaslight Arcanum: Uncanny Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Bookman Histories (The Bookman Histories, #1-3)
  • Mojo: Conjure Stories
  • Beyond the Door
  • The Monkey's Wedding and Other Stories
  • Voodoo in Haiti
  • Unnatural History (Pax Britannia, #1)
  • The End of the Line: An Anthology of Underground Horror
  • The Art of Arrow Cutting (The Art of Arrow Cutting, #1)
  • Haunter of the Ring & Other Tales
  • The Metatemporal Detective
  • Doctor Who: All-Consuming Fire
  • The Mammoth Book of Zombie Comics
  • The Wide, Carnivorous Sky and Other Monstrous Geographies
  • You Shall Never Know Security
  • The Haunter of the Dark
  • New Orleans Noir
  • The Devil in Amber (Lucifer Box, #2)
Note: This author also writes under the pseudonym of Jack Yeovil.
An expert on horror and sci-fi cinema (his books of film criticism include Nightmare Movies and Millennium Movies), Kim Newman's novels draw promiscuously on the tropes of horror, sci-fi and fantasy. He is complexly and irreverently referential; the Dracula sequence--Anno Dracula, The Bloody Red Baron and Dracula,Cha Cha Cha--not onl
More about Kim Newman...

The Diogenes Club (3 books)
  • The Man from the Diogenes Club