The Secret Files of the Diogenes Club

The Secret Files of the Diogenes Club (The Diogenes Club #2)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  11 reviews
From the 1860s to the present, these are the accounts of the Diogenes Club, whose agents solve crimes too strange for Britain's police, protecting the realm and this entire plane of existence from occult menaces, threats born in other dimensions, magical perfidy and the Deep Dark Deadly Ones. Kim Newman continues the series began in The Man From the Diogenes Club, revealin...more
Published October 17th 2007 by MonkeyBrain

c.o.lleen ± (... never stop fighting) ±
3 1/2 overall

A collection of Secret History stories by Kim Newman, the author of one of my favorite vampire novels ever (which is also an historical fiction): Anno Dracula.

This story takes us through the files of the Diogenes Club, the club founded by Sherlock's cleverer brother Mycroft. In the Sherlock Holmes stories, Mycroft is clever, but lazy. In these stories, Mycroft merely wishes to remain out of the public spotlight, since his Club deals with mysteries of a more occult nature - thus, the...more
Dan O'Hare
I really enjoyed this book, though I didn't think I would. Newman did a good job of pulling me into the world of these characters, spanning nearly a century easily, something I generally don't like. I'm not sure what kind of book this is, science fiction, fantasy, mystery, something in-between, but I would recomend it to anyone looking for something a little off the beaten path.
Mercurybard
A short story collection about London's least-known intelligence service. I'm not done with it yet, but so far, we've dealt with faeries and changelings, a merman imprisoned by religious fanatics, Charles Manson, and some nightmares from the Lovecraft mythos. I'm usually not a fan of short stories, but this collection intrigued me.
Frankie
I picked this book up based on reading another short story by Kim Newman (also about the Diogenes Club). This book follows an interesting set of characters with different (paranormal) powers, and kind of gives the background to the story I had originally read.
Riju Ganguly
This is the time when Kim Newman fans have their time under the sun/moon, as Da Man's new book becomes available, allowing us to read atleast one new story. In this collection we get the opprtunity to read total seven stories, which are:

1. "Gypsies in the Wood", a perfectly creepy novella that re-introduces us to Charles Beauregard and Katherine Reed.
2. "Richard Riddle, Boy Detective", a horror story told in Enid-Blyton's style, complete with ciphers (used in the cover of the book, as well).
3...more
Morgan
I believe there are two ways of successfully writing genre fiction in this day and age, you either write for your world and put blinders on trying to block out anything that has come before, or you openly embrace the history and give the fans exactly what they want. The danger of the second strategy is that an author can come away looking like they are writing fanfic, their self-conscious quality can interfere with good storytelling, or the placating fan service yields a lazy dependence on trope...more
Tarl
There is one thing I love about Kim's work, it's that he always adds in little easter eggs into it. Be it references to other works or his own (though in a different timeline, etc), it always is interesting to see the connection. In this series of stories he added a character from the Warhammer series about a vampire, which I thought was too cool.

Anyway, onto the book itself. Much like the book before this, this one collects a rather entertaining series of stories together. I enjoyed them all to...more
Pól
I can't say enough about Newman's stuff, especially the Diogenes Club stories. Wonderful Wold Newton style use of historical and literary characters in some really fun pastiches. Definitely hits me where I live.
James Debruicker
See my other Diogenes Club review. This collection spans a greater period of time, and he has a Dramatis Personae and glossary in the back to make Spot The Reference easier. Still great, though.
Jeremiah Genest
I have a fond spot in my heart for the stories of the Diogenes club, which I think is amongst Newman's best work. This volume, about 2/3rds I'd read ebfore, certainly didn't disappoint.
Fil
This book only gets better as you get into it though the first story was a tough read to get through.
Nancy Oakes
Nancy Oakes marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Brad Hendricks
Brad Hendricks marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Mark Rogers
Mark Rogers marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
John Smythe
John Smythe marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
Gareth
Gareth marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Imelda
Imelda marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Christian Partouns
Christian Partouns marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Miguel
Miguel marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
  • Alone Against Tomorrow: Stories of Alienation in Speculative Fiction
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Four
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Man From Hell
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Stalwart Companions
  • The Trial of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes Dynamite, #1)
  • Moriarty (Professor Moriarty, #3)
  • Extraordinary Engines: The Definitive Steampunk Anthology
  • Shoggoths in Bloom and other stories
Note: This author also writes under the pseudonym of Jack Yeovil.
An expert on horror and sci-fi cinema (his books of film criticism include Nightmare Movies and Millennium Movies), Kim Newman's novels draw promiscuously on the tropes of horror, sci-fi and fantasy. He is complexly and irreverently referential; the Dracula sequence--Anno Dracula, The Bloody Red Baron and Dracula,Cha Cha Cha--not onl...more
More about Kim Newman...
Anno Dracula (Anno Dracula, #1) Professor Moriarty: The Hound of the D'Urbervilles The Bloody Red Baron (Anno Dracula, #2) Judgment of Tears: Anno Dracula 1959 (Anno Dracula, #3) The Man from the Diogenes Club