Start by marking “The Secret Files of the Diogenes Club” as Want to Read:
The Secret Files of the Diogenes Club

The Secret Files of the Diogenes Club (The Diogenes Club #2)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  178 ratings  ·  12 reviews
From the 1860s to the present, these are the accounts of the Diogenes Club, whose agents solve crimes too strange for Britain's police, protecting the realm and this entire plane of existence from occult menaces, threats born in other dimensions, magical perfidy and the Deep Dark Deadly Ones. Kim Newman continues the series began in The Man From the Diogenes Club, revealin ...more
Published October 17th 2007 by MonkeyBrain

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Files of the Diogenes Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Files of the Diogenes Club

colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
3 1/2 overall

A collection of Secret History stories by Kim Newman, the author of one of my favorite vampire novels ever (which is also an historical fiction): Anno Dracula.

This story takes us through the files of the Diogenes Club, the club founded by Sherlock's cleverer brother Mycroft. In the Sherlock Holmes stories, Mycroft is clever, but lazy. In these stories, Mycroft merely wishes to remain out of the public spotlight, since his Club deals with mysteries of a more occult nature - thus, the
Dan O'Hare
I really enjoyed this book, though I didn't think I would. Newman did a good job of pulling me into the world of these characters, spanning nearly a century easily, something I generally don't like. I'm not sure what kind of book this is, science fiction, fantasy, mystery, something in-between, but I would recomend it to anyone looking for something a little off the beaten path.
Mercurybard
A short story collection about London's least-known intelligence service. I'm not done with it yet, but so far, we've dealt with faeries and changelings, a merman imprisoned by religious fanatics, Charles Manson, and some nightmares from the Lovecraft mythos. I'm usually not a fan of short stories, but this collection intrigued me.
Frankie
I picked this book up based on reading another short story by Kim Newman (also about the Diogenes Club). This book follows an interesting set of characters with different (paranormal) powers, and kind of gives the background to the story I had originally read.
Riju Ganguly
This is the time when Kim Newman fans have their time under the sun/moon, as Da Man's new book becomes available, allowing us to read atleast one new story. In this collection we get the opprtunity to read total seven stories, which are:

1. "Gypsies in the Wood", a perfectly creepy novella that re-introduces us to Charles Beauregard and Katherine Reed.
2. "Richard Riddle, Boy Detective", a horror story told in Enid-Blyton's style, complete with ciphers (used in the cover of the book, as well).
Morgan
I believe there are two ways of successfully writing genre fiction in this day and age, you either write for your world and put blinders on trying to block out anything that has come before, or you openly embrace the history and give the fans exactly what they want. The danger of the second strategy is that an author can come away looking like they are writing fanfic, their self-conscious quality can interfere with good storytelling, or the placating fan service yields a lazy dependence on trope ...more
Tarl
There is one thing I love about Kim's work, it's that he always adds in little easter eggs into it. Be it references to other works or his own (though in a different timeline, etc), it always is interesting to see the connection. In this series of stories he added a character from the Warhammer series about a vampire, which I thought was too cool.

Anyway, onto the book itself. Much like the book before this, this one collects a rather entertaining series of stories together. I enjoyed them all to
Karlo
Loved this book and the series it falls into from Kim Newman. I will happily buy any book Newman puts out because it always turns out to be worth my time.
Pól
I can't say enough about Newman's stuff, especially the Diogenes Club stories. Wonderful Wold Newton style use of historical and literary characters in some really fun pastiches. Definitely hits me where I live.
James Debruicker
See my other Diogenes Club review. This collection spans a greater period of time, and he has a Dramatis Personae and glossary in the back to make Spot The Reference easier. Still great, though.
Jeremiah Genest
I have a fond spot in my heart for the stories of the Diogenes club, which I think is amongst Newman's best work. This volume, about 2/3rds I'd read ebfore, certainly didn't disappoint.
Fil
This book only gets better as you get into it though the first story was a tough read to get through.
Bliss
Bliss marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Kris
Kris marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Rebecka
Rebecka marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Helen Browne
Helen Browne marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Shadowcthuhlu
Shadowcthuhlu marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Pat
Pat added it
Apr 01, 2015
Wendi
Wendi marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Karl Øen
Karl Øen marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Ymri
Ymri added it
Nicole R
Nicole R marked it as to-read
Inês
Inês marked it as to-read
Trinisse
Trinisse marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
  • Gaslight Arcanum: Uncanny Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Mojo: Conjure Stories
  • Voodoo in Haiti
  • The End of the Line: An Anthology of Underground Horror
  • The Bookman Histories (The Bookman Histories, #1-3)
  • The Haunter of the Dark
  • The Wide, Carnivorous Sky and Other Monstrous Geographies
  • New Orleans Noir
  • The Best Horror of the Year Volume Two
  • The Monkey's Wedding and Other Stories
  • Black Wings: New Tales of Lovecraftian Horror
  • Black Butterfly (Lucifer Box, #3)
  • Unnatural History (Pax Britannia, #1)
  • The Metatemporal Detective
  • The Art of Arrow Cutting (The Art of Arrow Cutting, #1)
  • All-Consuming Fire
  • The Mammoth Book of Zombie Comics
  • You Shall Never Know Security
Note: This author also writes under the pseudonym of Jack Yeovil.
An expert on horror and sci-fi cinema (his books of film criticism include Nightmare Movies and Millennium Movies), Kim Newman's novels draw promiscuously on the tropes of horror, sci-fi and fantasy. He is complexly and irreverently referential; the Dracula sequence--Anno Dracula, The Bloody Red Baron and Dracula,Cha Cha Cha--not onl
More about Kim Newman...

The Diogenes Club (3 books)
  • The Man from the Diogenes Club
  • Mysteries of the Diogenes Club
Anno Dracula (Anno Dracula, #1) Professor Moriarty: The Hound of the D'Urbervilles The Bloody Red Baron (Anno Dracula, #2) Judgment of Tears: Anno Dracula 1959 (Anno Dracula, #3) Johnny Alucard (Anno Dracula, #4)