Start by marking “Damn Good Advice (For People with Talent!): How To Unleash Your Creative Potential by America's Master Communicator, George Lois” as Want to Read:

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  1,133 ratings  ·  124 reviews
Damn Good Advice (For People With Talent!) is a look into the mind of one of America's most legendary creative thinkers, George Lois. Offering indispensle lessons, practical advice, facts, anecdotes and inspiration, this book is a timeless creative bible for all those looking to succeed in life, business and creativity. These are key lessons derived from the incomparle lif ...more
Published March 12th 2012 by Phaidon Press

To ask other readers questions about Damn Good Advice (For People with Talent!), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Damn Good Advice (For People with Talent!)

Steal Like an Artist by Austin KleonCreative Companion by SARKIdea Stormers by Bryan MattimoreThe Artist's Way by Julia CameronThe Creative License by Danny Gregory
Creative Inspiration
8th out of 11 books — 10 voters
The Tarnished Shooter by Charles JamesThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankA Distant Mirror by Barbara W. TuchmanGuns, Germs, and Steel by Jared DiamondRailonama by Anupama Sharma
Non-fiction - Something for Everyone
466th out of 848 books — 302 voters

More lists with this book...

Ahmad
While it says (For People with Talent), it is mainly focused on the "traditional advertising" world. Nevertheless, the writer has a great sense of doing things the right way.
Kyle
This is a short book packed with awesome tid bits about creativity and marketing. I read it cover to cover. At times, the book was so spot on and insightful that I slammed it shut with anxiety. Holy cow, this is so good it's scary. Right after I was done reading it, I pulled out a notepad and began shooting out ideas.
Tamara
I read this book while I was backpacking through Europe right after I finished 5 years of Architecture school. I was in a place where you realize you've been pushed into the real world and you barely know how to swim. You haven't figured anything out yet.
This book gave me 'Damn Good Advice' that I still go through at times when no one else can say the right thing. It's fresh and in-your-face. I loved how clear and to the point his writing style is. No BS, just like talking to the author in his l
Stephanie Marie
This book is a great motivator. It boasts a clean, fun design, it's easy to read (in one sitting or spread out over a week where you really need a kick in the pants), and is straightforward. George knows what he knows and that's all there is to it.

At first, I was thrown off by the numbered list format of the book-- I was expecting something more traditional-- but it was great. It made it very light and easily digestible. George's writing style is aggressive, in your face, and matter-of-fact-- s
Daniel White
Loved this book. Very inspirational. Crazy fonts and marvelous pictures. I hope more books get printed this!

George Lois tells us about his career. He says that success is:

1% inspiration
9% perspiration
90% justification

Reminded me of a book I read recently by Paul Arden about his career. Same great format and theme.
Jasia
A book I would HIGHLY recommend to anybody going into any creative field. Clear, specific, bold advice for making things happen in your career and feeling good about yourself every step of the way. Written by George Lois, who can only be described as the original Mad Man... He vehemently denies any connection to the show, but if you subtract the philandering, drinking in the workplace and other generally frowned-upon activities, some of the stories Lois tells could be right out of the T.V. show. ...more
Afnan Aldimasi
This is a GREAT book for readers interested in design and specifically advertising. However, it also contains worthy general advice. The writer's passion for his field is spilled all over the pages which provides a great inspiration for the reader. George Lois mentions his own experiences and the secrets to the success of many of his work. As for myself, My mind started thinking like advertiser and I started drafting ideas right away. I'm very glad I had purchased this book and I plan to read it ...more
David Martín
Sin duda alguna George Lois, es considerado uno de los mejores, si no es que el mejor publicista de el ultimo siglo.
¡Qué buen consejo! (Para gente con talento) no es nada más que muchos (120) consejos que nos da Lois, para ser un buen Publicista. nos narra estos consejos a lo largo de 178 paginas, (si no es que me equivoco).
No necesitas ser un publicista, o que estés estudiando esta carrera para leer este libro. solo tienes que tener la mente abierta lo que te pueda contar George a través de es
Janay
In 'Damn Good Advice',Lois is very honest (sometimes brutally), somewhat crass, and always humorous in sharing great advice, drawn from his successful tenure in advertising.

Some advice in the book tend to overlap a bit but such cases can be seen as reiteration; usually they apply to different circumstances.

In cases of uncertainty, one could easily seek out the book as one would a mentor. With advice from subjects such as generating ideas for ads to handling clients,you are guaranteed to find so
Gord
A no BS examination of creativity and how to unleash/master it. Lois is gruff, perhaps even rude at times, but when he knows what has to be done, he gets it done. I'd work for him.
Patrick Di Justo
I have a strange weakness: I'm attracted to the genre of "How To Be Creative" books. I don't know why -- they're all exactly the same, and they're all exactly useless.
Chadi Nanaa
Damn ! A great book !
Neil
I enjoyed this - there was plenty of opinion and some of it damn good.

The short take away is; creativity needs nurturing (build a resource - go to galleries, keep looking around you, question), exercise the skill, use it and regularly, believe in it - if you don't 100%, why should anyone else.
Refine, refine, refine....boil down how you communicate the idea, until it leaps out, clear and true.
Don't do brainstorm, "group-think" is a killer.

Being in adverting in the early days, in New York, post W
Robyn

I saw George Lois promoting this book on Jimmy Kimmel and bought it the next day. This never happens.

Apart from knowing it was Lois' new book and a collection of wisdom and advice gleaned over decades as a leader in the advertising industry, I didn't know what to expect. But…thing is if this is a collection of Lois' best advice how could I go wrong? The thing sells itself!

Damn Good Advice features 120 nuggets from Lois, which span the spectrum of his work in advertising. Each point follows a thr

Debra
Wow. George Lois is a hero in my book. He has lived by some pretty gutsy principles – I admire that and the fact that he has a shit list. He’s one of those from the breed I’d call "real men" (reference “Why men aren’t really men anymore” by Paul Hudson, Elite Daily).

Most creatives and agencies today fall short. Most of us play at being ad (wo)men without having the passion for being one, or we lose it along the way somehow. Hardcore is what we should be, in any chosen field or profession. And i
Miguel
If I were to rename this book, it would probably be "Damn Bad Advice (that is, in large part, based on nonsensical conjecture)". While George Lois is certainly a talented advertiser and author (the book is, if nothing else, entertaining) much of the advice offered in this book is nonsensical, and in some cases not even advice at all. I'm not sure there's a piece of advice in here that isn't already immediately apparent to anyone with any semblance of critical thinking skills. Of the 120 points i ...more
Loy Machedo
Loy Machedo's Book Review - Damn Good Advice by George Lois

I had no idea who George Lois was until I purchased Paul Arden's Phaidon books (Whatever You Think, Think the Opposite; It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be). Here is what I could google of him:

George Lois is an American art director, designer, and author.
Lois is perhaps best known for over 92 covers he designed for Esquire magazine from 1962 to 1972.
Lois is the only person inducted into all of the following: The Art D
Rowena Morais
Book Title : Damn Good Advice (for people with talent!) : How to unleash your creative potential with America's Master Communicator
Author : George Lois
Published by : Phaidon
Year of publication: 2012
ISBN: 978 0 7148 6348 1
Details : paperback
Price : RM35.90

This is a book by an advertising legend. He made the totally unknown Tommy Hilfiger immediately famous with just one ad. He has written nine other books, including George, Be Careful, his biography.

Visually appealing, boldness is his forte. With
Stephanie Piccino
I saw this in Urban Outfitters and flipped through it. It looked good. I got it for Christmas and read it in less than a day. This should the creative person's bible - it now is mine. There is tremendous advice about creating, selling, and working in the creative field. I love this book and will refer to it for inspiration...and will refer anyone who is remotely creative to read this book.
Namita Koshy
This book really opened my eyes to the value of advertising. George Lois is one of the most remarkable admen ever. His short crisp perspectives on creativity, marketing miracles, inspiration, ideas and making things happen, are priceless. I dare to say that this is a better read than any of ogilvy's books. If you love advertising and the business of ideas, get this book. Read it every 6 months.
Tiina
This book gives what it promises: good advice.

Since I don't live in the US, I cannot see everything that he claims - that his creations have changed the world, or lasted particularly long. I haven't seen them. This makes me doubt the other claims as well.

Of course, I buy many of the things completely, and hey, well delivered. Some things, neee.
Cassie Forsythe
i love his blunt rants and ego! george may be old-school but through decades, still the message must be positioned well in order for it to be maxed. using the righ channel alone won't do any good if the message is lame. So print, digital, social and what-not media... there is always something to learn frm the pass.
Niklas Eklund
Pure awesomeness! This book has character, whether you like that character will determine if you'll like this book or not. It's brutally honest, self centered, no holds barred and not afraid to be bias. Personally I loved this book, I couldn't get enough of it.
Rae Ganci Hammers
Famed ad man, George Lois, delivers his advice to aspiring creatives. While some of it was thought provoking and fresh, most I found to echo vaguely of advice I've heard elsewhere. The most inspiring parts were his antidotes about the truly creative and over-the-top things he did in the interest of "making the sale." Things that could only come from someone passionately invested in what they are doing. I also appreciated his perspective on advertising/design - that it should not always be demoni ...more
JDAZDesigns
Three stars because the content, which anyone over 30 should already know, is delivered in a great manner!

Three stars because the content should be known.

But thank goodness, the sense of humor and morals shines through.
Sophie
George Lois is an American art director, designer, and author. In Damn Good Advice , Lois offers a guide to creativity and success heavily influenced by his time spent working in advertising. While the book's advice heavily leans towards design work and advertising skills, there are pointers and advice that can benefit anyone working in a creative field.
Cassandra
I felt I was getting hit over the head with how wonderful Mr. Lois's career has been and how he got where he got. I wish it was marketed more as a memoir because that is what you are getting, a career highlight reel.
Angelica
One of the best and most to do the point books that I have ever read! Visually stirring and fast paced. Can someone please make a series about his life and I do not mean a comedic version of Madmen.
Blake
This is one of the best books I've ever read and I'm so proud to know so many people who embody the kind of advice and lifestyle Lois espouses. I have to much work to do to get to this level...
Shahla Khan
Although, this book is by an art professional and contains valuable advice for art professionals, I would say it makes sense for people of all professions. You can learn a lot from life experiences of legends like George Lois.
The short and ti the point advice is exquisite because of simplicity and clarity. One of the best books I have read this year.
  • It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be
  • Symbol
  • D&AD: The Copy Book
  • How to be a Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul
  • Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This: A Guide to Creating Great Ads
  • Breakthrough!: Proven Strategies to Overcome Creative Block and Spark Your Imagination
  • Type: A Visual History of Typefaces and Graphic Styles (Volume 2, 1901-1938)
  • Confessions of an Advertising Man
  • Designing for Growth: A Design Thinking Tool Kit for Managers
  • Creative Confidence: Unleashing the Creative Potential Within Us All
  • Designing for Emotion
  • The Shape of Design
  • The Creative Process Illustrated: How Advertising's Big Ideas Are Born
George Lois: The Big Idea What's the Big Idea?: How to Win with Outrageous Ideas (That Sell!) Art of Advertising. George Lois on Mass Communication George Lois: The Esquire Covers Sellebrity: My Angling and Tangling With Famous People