Damn Good Advice (For People with Talent!): How To Unleash Your Creative Potential by America's Master Communicator, George Lois

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  917 ratings  ·  106 reviews
Damn Good Advice (For People With Talent!) is a look into the mind of one of America's most legendary creative thinkers, George Lois. Offering indispensle lessons, practical advice, facts, anecdotes and inspiration, this book is a timeless creative bible for all those looking to succeed in life, business and creativity. These are key lessons derived from the incomparle lif...more
Published March 12th 2012 by Phaidon Press

To ask other readers questions about Damn Good Advice (For People with Talent!), please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Damn Good Advice (For People with Talent!)

Steal Like an Artist by Austin KleonCreative Companion by SARKThe Idea Stormers by Bryan MattimoreThe Artist's Way by Julia CameronThe Creative License by Danny Gregory
Creative Inspiration
8th out of 11 books — 10 voters
The Tarnished Shooter by Charles JamesThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankA Distant Mirror by Barbara W. TuchmanFrench Illusions by Linda Kovic-SkowGuns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond
Non-fiction - Something for Everyone
423rd out of 713 books — 251 voters

More lists with this book...

Ahmad
While it says (For People with Talent), it is mainly focused on the "traditional advertising" world. Nevertheless, the writer has a great sense of doing things the right way.
Kyle
This is a short book packed with awesome tid bits about creativity and marketing. I read it cover to cover. At times, the book was so spot on and insightful that I slammed it shut with anxiety. Holy cow, this is so good it's scary. Right after I was done reading it, I pulled out a notepad and began shooting out ideas.
Tamara
I read this book while I was backpacking through Europe right after I finished 5 years of Architecture school. I was in a place where you realize you've been pushed into the real world and you barely know how to swim. You haven't figured anything out yet.
This book gave me 'Damn Good Advice' that I still go through at times when no one else can say the right thing. It's fresh and in-your-face. I loved how clear and to the point his writing style is. No BS, just like talking to the author in his l...more
Stephanie Marie
This book is a great motivator. It boasts a clean, fun design, it's easy to read (in one sitting or spread out over a week where you really need a kick in the pants), and is straightforward. George knows what he knows and that's all there is to it.

At first, I was thrown off by the numbered list format of the book-- I was expecting something more traditional-- but it was great. It made it very light and easily digestible. George's writing style is aggressive, in your face, and matter-of-fact-- s...more
Jasia
A book I would HIGHLY recommend to anybody going into any creative field. Clear, specific, bold advice for making things happen in your career and feeling good about yourself every step of the way. Written by George Lois, who can only be described as the original Mad Man... He vehemently denies any connection to the show, but if you subtract the philandering, drinking in the workplace and other generally frowned-upon activities, some of the stories Lois tells could be right out of the T.V. show....more
Afnan Aldimasi
This is a GREAT book for readers interested in design and specifically advertising. However, it also contains worthy general advice. The writer's passion for his field is spilled all over the pages which provides a great inspiration for the reader. George Lois mentions his own experiences and the secrets to the success of many of his work. As for myself, My mind started thinking like advertiser and I started drafting ideas right away. I'm very glad I had purchased this book and I plan to read it...more
Gord
A no BS examination of creativity and how to unleash/master it. Lois is gruff, perhaps even rude at times, but when he knows what has to be done, he gets it done. I'd work for him.
Patrick DiJusto
I have a strange weakness: I'm attracted to the genre of "How To Be Creative" books. I don't know why -- they're all exactly the same, and they're all exactly useless.
Robyn

I saw George Lois promoting this book on Jimmy Kimmel and bought it the next day. This never happens.

Apart from knowing it was Lois' new book and a collection of wisdom and advice gleaned over decades as a leader in the advertising industry, I didn't know what to expect. But…thing is if this is a collection of Lois' best advice how could I go wrong? The thing sells itself!

Damn Good Advice features 120 nuggets from Lois, which span the spectrum of his work in advertising. Each point follows a thr

Debra
Wow. George Lois is a hero in my book. He has lived by some pretty gutsy principles – I admire that and the fact that he has a shit list. He’s one of those from the breed I’d call "real men" (reference “Why men aren’t really men anymore” by Paul Hudson, Elite Daily).

Most creatives and agencies today fall short. Most of us play at being ad (wo)men without having the passion for being one, or we lose it along the way somehow. Hardcore is what we should be, in any chosen field or profession. And i...more
Miguel
If I were to rename this book, it would probably be "Damn Bad Advice (that is, in large part, based on nonsensical conjecture)". While George Lois is certainly a talented advertiser and author (the book is, if nothing else, entertaining) much of the advice offered in this book is nonsensical, and in some cases not even advice at all. I'm not sure there's a piece of advice in here that isn't already immediately apparent to anyone with any semblance of critical thinking skills. Of the 120 points i...more
Loy Machedo
Loy Machedo's Book Review - Damn Good Advice by George Lois

I had no idea who George Lois was until I purchased Paul Arden's Phaidon books (Whatever You Think, Think the Opposite; It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be). Here is what I could google of him:

George Lois is an American art director, designer, and author.
Lois is perhaps best known for over 92 covers he designed for Esquire magazine from 1962 to 1972.
Lois is the only person inducted into all of the following: The Art D...more
Rowena Morais
Book Title : Damn Good Advice (for people with talent!) : How to unleash your creative potential with America's Master Communicator
Author : George Lois
Published by : Phaidon
Year of publication: 2012
ISBN: 978 0 7148 6348 1
Details : paperback
Price : RM35.90

This is a book by an advertising legend. He made the totally unknown Tommy Hilfiger immediately famous with just one ad. He has written nine other books, including George, Be Careful, his biography.

Visually appealing, boldness is his forte. With...more
Namita Koshy
This book really opened my eyes to the value of advertising. George Lois is one of the most remarkable admen ever. His short crisp perspectives on creativity, marketing miracles, inspiration, ideas and making things happen, are priceless. I dare to say that this is a better read than any of ogilvy's books. If you love advertising and the business of ideas, get this book. Read it every 6 months.
Niklas Eklund
Pure awesomeness! This book has character, whether you like that character will determine if you'll like this book or not. It's brutally honest, self centered, no holds barred and not afraid to be bias. Personally I loved this book, I couldn't get enough of it.
Rae Ganci Hammers
Famed ad man, George Lois, delivers his advice to aspiring creatives. While some of it was thought provoking and fresh, most I found to echo vaguely of advice I've heard elsewhere. The most inspiring parts were his antidotes about the truly creative and over-the-top things he did in the interest of "making the sale." Things that could only come from someone passionately invested in what they are doing. I also appreciated his perspective on advertising/design - that it should not always be demoni...more
Cassandra
I felt I was getting hit over the head with how wonderful Mr. Lois's career has been and how he got where he got. I wish it was marketed more as a memoir because that is what you are getting, a career highlight reel.
Blake
This is one of the best books I've ever read and I'm so proud to know so many people who embody the kind of advice and lifestyle Lois espouses. I have to much work to do to get to this level...
Shahla Khan
Although, this book is by an art professional and contains valuable advice for art professionals, I would say it makes sense for people of all professions. You can learn a lot from life experiences of legends like George Lois.
The short and ti the point advice is exquisite because of simplicity and clarity. One of the best books I have read this year.
Dearwassily
A quick read (fortunately). More for people who want to go into advertising or marketing (though perhaps all creative fields are advertising and marketing these days).
Amna_M_240526
Damn good advice basically consists of several advices and motivational stories. The stories and advices are interesting and made me 'woah!' at times.
Also, the writer's way is very straight to the point with an aggressive tone. Funny at times which made the book more interesting. I formerly read "It's not how good you are, it's how good you want to be' that had the same design and layout of this book, which is very creative, awesome and catchy!
It's the kind of book that you can pick, choose an...more
Lee Sargent
At the start of the book I didn't really care for the author but the ad-man certainly convinced me by the end and I took away some thought provoking ideas.
Todd
An amazing (and personally validating) book. If you consider yourself creative, a must-read!
Muhammed Furqan
Gem of a book, great advice for people in the creative industry.
Thomas Ortiz
I loved this book. It w as an easy read and really makes you think. There is some very good advice in this book and I really learned from it. The author uses a good format and some great stories from his life to make it interesting. Everyone should read this book.
Nourhan
A light book, that you can read on your way to work or during your work breaks to give you a boost.
Didn't add a lot to my knowledge, but it was interesting to dig into a life of an advertising man.
Here are few of my fave advices:
23. Never listen to music when you are trying to come up with a big idea
25. Reject group grope
26. Reject Analysis Paralysis
68. Picasso was right when he said "art is the lie that tells the truth
93. If you act like one of those lecherous TV Mad Men in your office, you wil...more
Thomas
Aug 31, 2012 Thomas added it
Just like it says...good advice, nicely illustrated, and not exclusive to the advertising set. It's style is high velocity, high confidence bordering on arrogant, self important, etc. But, the guy knows what he's talking about. If you want some kind of zen approach to advertising or whatever, this is not it. We live in the Age of Branding in no small part due to George Lois. Might as well get a look behind the curtain. He's a good teacher and, byt reading this simple book, we avoid having to act...more
  • It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be
  • Things I have learned in my life so far
  • Tested Advertising Methods
  • Say Everything: How Blogging Began, What It's Becoming, and Why It Matters
  • Information Graphics
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding: How to Build a Product or Service Into a World-Class Brand
  • 344 Questions: The Creative Person's Do-It-Yourself Guide to Insight, Survival, and Artistic Fulfillment
  • Show Your Work!: 10 Ways to Share Your Creativity and Get Discovered
  • Designing for Growth: A Design Thinking Tool Kit for Managers
George Lois: The Big Idea What's the Big Idea?: How to Win with Outrageous Ideas (That Sell!) Sellebrity: My Angling and Tangling With Famous People George Lois: The Esquire Covers Art of Advertising