Start by marking “Damn Good Advice (For People with Talent!): How To Unleash Your Creative Potential by America's Master Communicator, George Lois” as Want to Read:

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,925 Ratings  ·  194 Reviews
Damn Good Advice (For People With Talent!) is a look into the mind of one of America's most legendary creative thinkers, George Lois. Offering indispensle lessons, practical advice, facts, anecdotes and inspiration, this book is a timeless creative bible for all those looking to succeed in life, business and creativity. These are key lessons derived from the incomparle lif ...more
Published March 12th 2012 by Phaidon Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Damn Good Advice (For People with Talent!), please sign up.

Mansi Laus Deo Definitely! It will open your mind like an umbrella and give you the confidence to go the unconventional way.

Ahmad
Jan 06, 2013 Ahmad rated it it was ok
While it says (For People with Talent), it is mainly focused on the "traditional advertising" world. Nevertheless, the writer has a great sense of doing things the right way.
Miguel
May 06, 2013 Miguel rated it it was ok
If I were to rename this book, it would probably be "Damn Bad Advice (that is, in large part, based on nonsensical conjecture)". While George Lois is certainly a talented advertiser and author (the book is, if nothing else, entertaining) much of the advice offered in this book is nonsensical, and in some cases not even advice at all. I'm not sure there's a piece of advice in here that isn't already immediately apparent to anyone with any semblance of critical thinking skills. Of the 120 points i ...more
Kyle
Jun 14, 2012 Kyle rated it it was amazing
This is a short book packed with awesome tid bits about creativity and marketing. I read it cover to cover. At times, the book was so spot on and insightful that I slammed it shut with anxiety. Holy cow, this is so good it's scary. Right after I was done reading it, I pulled out a notepad and began shooting out ideas.
Stephanie Marie
Jan 02, 2013 Stephanie Marie rated it liked it
Shelves: design
This book is a great motivator. It boasts a clean, fun design, it's easy to read (in one sitting or spread out over a week where you really need a kick in the pants), and is straightforward. George knows what he knows and that's all there is to it.

At first, I was thrown off by the numbered list format of the book-- I was expecting something more traditional-- but it was great. It made it very light and easily digestible. George's writing style is aggressive, in your face, and matter-of-fact-- s
Tamara
Jan 25, 2014 Tamara rated it it was amazing
I read this book while I was backpacking through Europe right after I finished 5 years of Architecture school. I was in a place where you realize you've been pushed into the real world and you barely know how to swim. You haven't figured anything out yet.
This book gave me 'Damn Good Advice' that I still go through at times when no one else can say the right thing. It's fresh and in-your-face. I loved how clear and to the point his writing style is. No BS, just like talking to the author in his l
Keely
Feb 10, 2015 Keely rated it really liked it
Picked this up yesterday afternoon while in the library aimlessly looking for inspiration and ended up reading the whole thing. Lois shares his advice on creativity, hard work and big ideas, gleaned over a 50+-year career in advertising. He claims to take the show Mad Men as a personal insult, but it's hard not to be reminded of just a teensy little bit of Don Draper while reading Lois' thoughts on having absolute confidence in your work and selling your ideas. Anyway, it's a visually striking b ...more
Daniel White
Nov 13, 2014 Daniel White rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Very inspirational. Crazy fonts and marvelous pictures. I hope more books get printed this!

George Lois tells us about his career. He says that success is:

1% inspiration
9% perspiration
90% justification

Reminded me of a book I read recently by Paul Arden about his career. Same great format and theme.
Chadi Nanaa
Nov 14, 2014 Chadi Nanaa rated it it was amazing
Damn ! A great book !
Miranda
Jan 22, 2016 Miranda rated it did not like it
Not so "damn good". Most of the advice is either thinly veiled career boasting or something you should already know if you've progressed beyond the first year of marketing or design school. The book reads like a giant run-on sentence of "do more and do better" without actually giving insight into how to do this other than to "try". I've read more creative insight in a dry textbook, which is very disappointing because George Lois is talented and accomplished in his career.
There are many examples
Jasia
Jan 02, 2014 Jasia rated it it was amazing
A book I would HIGHLY recommend to anybody going into any creative field. Clear, specific, bold advice for making things happen in your career and feeling good about yourself every step of the way. Written by George Lois, who can only be described as the original Mad Man... He vehemently denies any connection to the show, but if you subtract the philandering, drinking in the workplace and other generally frowned-upon activities, some of the stories Lois tells could be right out of the T.V. show. ...more
Afnan Aldimasi
Aug 10, 2014 Afnan Aldimasi rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, 2013
This is a GREAT book for readers interested in design and specifically advertising. However, it also contains worthy general advice. The writer's passion for his field is spilled all over the pages which provides a great inspiration for the reader. George Lois mentions his own experiences and the secrets to the success of many of his work. As for myself, My mind started thinking like advertiser and I started drafting ideas right away. I'm very glad I had purchased this book and I plan to read it ...more
Emily
Mar 14, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it
The author of the book Damn Good Advice is Gorge Lois.This book is a non fiction.The genre is fact/advice.The length of the book is 120 pages and published in 2012.In this book there are numerous tips on how to become successful and also life lessons from Gorge Lois.A lot of the tips are funny in the way that he writes it. This book promises to "Unleash your creative potential". I chose to read this book because it looked like it would be funny by looking at the title and also I thought it could ...more
Sophie
Dec 19, 2014 Sophie rated it liked it
George Lois is an American art director, designer, and author. In Damn Good Advice , Lois offers a guide to creativity and success heavily influenced by his time spent working in advertising. While the book's advice heavily leans towards design work and advertising skills, there are pointers and advice that can benefit anyone working in a creative field.
Shog Al Mas
May 14, 2016 Shog Al Mas rated it really liked it
The book said it all!
Fa6amie
Sep 13, 2015 Fa6amie rated it liked it
This book was pretty good, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to because I couldn't relate to it. It was more targeted for people that could use their creativity at work; artists, marketing, graphic design, etc. It talked mostly about advertising & how to stand out with your ideas through creativity.
David Martín
Jan 12, 2015 David Martín rated it it was amazing
Sin duda alguna George Lois, es considerado uno de los mejores, si no es que el mejor publicista de el ultimo siglo.
¡Qué buen consejo! (Para gente con talento) no es nada más que muchos (120) consejos que nos da Lois, para ser un buen Publicista. nos narra estos consejos a lo largo de 178 paginas, (si no es que me equivoco).
No necesitas ser un publicista, o que estés estudiando esta carrera para leer este libro. solo tienes que tener la mente abierta lo que te pueda contar George a través de es
Janay
Aug 27, 2014 Janay rated it it was amazing
In 'Damn Good Advice',Lois is very honest (sometimes brutally), somewhat crass, and always humorous in sharing great advice, drawn from his successful tenure in advertising.

Some advice in the book tend to overlap a bit but such cases can be seen as reiteration; usually they apply to different circumstances.

In cases of uncertainty, one could easily seek out the book as one would a mentor. With advice from subjects such as generating ideas for ads to handling clients,you are guaranteed to find so
Gord
Sep 20, 2013 Gord rated it really liked it
A no BS examination of creativity and how to unleash/master it. Lois is gruff, perhaps even rude at times, but when he knows what has to be done, he gets it done. I'd work for him.
Patrick Di Justo
Jan 30, 2014 Patrick Di Justo rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
I have a strange weakness: I'm attracted to the genre of "How To Be Creative" books. I don't know why -- they're all exactly the same, and they're all exactly useless.
Sarthak Parajulee
When one of the greatest ad man and art director in the history of advertising brings out a book called "Damn Good Advice", hardly you can get your hands off it. George Lois is one of my big inspirations and this book gives a deeper understanding of his philosophy regarding the creative process that helped him yield years after years of great advertising.

When you're reading this book, it feels like George is shouting down on your face. So, yeah, it reads like a charm. I finished the whole book i
Hestia Istiviani
Sep 14, 2015 Hestia Istiviani rated it really liked it
I read in English but this review is written in Bahasa Indonesia

Terlepas dari apapun latar belakang pendidikanmu, aku rasa tidak ada salahnya kamu membaca buku ini. Ada banyak hal menarik yang bisa kamu ambil dari buku ini karena sebenarnya meskipun menggunakan cara penyampaian periklanan, semua saran Lois bisa diterapkan dalam kehidupan keseharian kita. Bahkan ia juga mengajarkan pembaca untuk melihat sesuati dari detil-detilnya. Sebuah proses berpikir kreatif yang unik.

Baca resensi lengkapnya
Jeremy
Jul 15, 2015 Jeremy rated it did not like it
Read the first 5 pages. Speed read the next 30. Stopped halfway through the book.

I stumbled upon this book after seeing it crop on on many "Books Designers Should Read" lists and gave it a shot. But as another reviewer mentioned, it's mostly written as advice for those in traditional advertising. I did my best to extrapolate the advice but struggled to stay engaged with the pithy, tweet-like structure of the content.

Maybe a good read for those in the advertising world or for those interested i
Wayne
Jan 24, 2016 Wayne rated it it was amazing
This book blew my mind! Even though George Lois is an Ad Man and Art Director and Creative Director, there is so much in the book that rang true with me in my career path. Sometimes you find that all you need is a little push to get your career going and get it on track or move up to the next step on the ladder. Or you find yourself getting bored in your monotonous daily routine. This book opened my eyes and can do the same for anyone that reads it. It'll change your life and the way you look at ...more
Mohsen
Sep 12, 2015 Mohsen rated it really liked it
I hate self-help books, but this one is honestly one of the most entertaining educational experiences that I've ever laid a hand on!
This gives straight to the face advice, that can simple motivate you to work better, and become the creative professional that you would want yourself to be.

However, the advice might be a little subjective. I appreciate everything that he says because it is probably true as it is powerful, but the chances of me being taken seriously after i threaten to kill myself
Neil
I enjoyed this - there was plenty of opinion and some of it damn good.

The short take away is; creativity needs nurturing (build a resource - go to galleries, keep looking around you, question), exercise the skill, use it and regularly, believe in it - if you don't 100%, why should anyone else.
Refine, refine, refine....boil down how you communicate the idea, until it leaps out, clear and true.
Don't do brainstorm, "group-think" is a killer.

Being in adverting in the early days, in New York, post W
Robyn
Mar 19, 2013 Robyn rated it really liked it

I saw George Lois promoting this book on Jimmy Kimmel and bought it the next day. This never happens.

Apart from knowing it was Lois' new book and a collection of wisdom and advice gleaned over decades as a leader in the advertising industry, I didn't know what to expect. But…thing is if this is a collection of Lois' best advice how could I go wrong? The thing sells itself!

Damn Good Advice features 120 nuggets from Lois, which span the spectrum of his work in advertising. Each point follows a thr

Debra
Jun 30, 2013 Debra rated it it was amazing
Wow. George Lois is a hero in my book. He has lived by some pretty gutsy principles – I admire that and the fact that he has a shit list. He’s one of those from the breed I’d call "real men" (reference “Why men aren’t really men anymore” by Paul Hudson, Elite Daily).

Most creatives and agencies today fall short. Most of us play at being ad (wo)men without having the passion for being one, or we lose it along the way somehow. Hardcore is what we should be, in any chosen field or profession. And i
Loy Machedo
Jul 10, 2013 Loy Machedo rated it liked it
Loy Machedo's Book Review - Damn Good Advice by George Lois

I had no idea who George Lois was until I purchased Paul Arden's Phaidon books (Whatever You Think, Think the Opposite; It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be). Here is what I could google of him:

George Lois is an American art director, designer, and author.
Lois is perhaps best known for over 92 covers he designed for Esquire magazine from 1962 to 1972.
Lois is the only person inducted into all of the following: The Art D
Rowena Morais
Feb 10, 2013 Rowena Morais rated it really liked it
Book Title : Damn Good Advice (for people with talent!) : How to unleash your creative potential with America's Master Communicator
Author : George Lois
Published by : Phaidon
Year of publication: 2012
ISBN: 978 0 7148 6348 1
Details : paperback
Price : RM35.90

This is a book by an advertising legend. He made the totally unknown Tommy Hilfiger immediately famous with just one ad. He has written nine other books, including George, Be Careful, his biography.

Visually appealing, boldness is his forte. With
AzharyIqhwan
May 25, 2015 AzharyIqhwan rated it it was ok
this is a good book, but for me it is not "that good" that makes you want to read it again and again. Honestly, i was expecting the advice would be more general, so no matter what is your profession, they (the advice) will motivate you. Most of the advice are about advertising and I don't find them interesting since i am not into that field. however, i (and i hope others too) still can use some of the advice to improve myself.

• How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer
  • Thoughts on Design
  • It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be
  • Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines
  • As Little Design as Possible
  • Symbol
  • Orbiting the Giant Hairball: A Corporate Fool's Guide to Surviving with Grace
  • How to be a Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul
  • Clients From Hell: A collection of anonymously-contributed client horror stories from designers
  • D&AD: The Copy Book
  • 101 contrarian Ideas About Advertising
  • The Shape of Design
  • Type: A Visual History of Typefaces and Graphic Styles (Volume 2, 1901-1938)
  • Cutting Edge Advertising: How to Create the World's Best for Brands in the 21st Century
  • Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services
  • Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This: A Guide to Creating Great Ads