Start by marking “Damn Good Advice (For People with Talent!): How To Unleash Your Creative Potential by America's Master Communicator, George Lois” as Want to Read:

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  2,134 Ratings  ·  207 Reviews
Damn Good Advice (For People With Talent!) is a look into the mind of one of America's most legendary creative thinkers, George Lois. Offering indispensle lessons, practical advice, facts, anecdotes and inspiration, this book is a timeless creative bible for all those looking to succeed in life, business and creativity. These are key lessons derived from the incomparle lif ...more
Published March 12th 2012 by Phaidon Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Damn Good Advice (For People with Talent!), please sign up.

Mansi Laus Deo Definitely! It will open your mind like an umbrella and give you the confidence to go the unconventional way.

Ahmad
Jan 06, 2013 Ahmad rated it it was ok
While it says (For People with Talent), it is mainly focused on the "traditional advertising" world. Nevertheless, the writer has a great sense of doing things the right way.
Miguel
May 06, 2013 Miguel rated it it was ok
If I were to rename this book, it would probably be "Damn Bad Advice (that is, in large part, based on nonsensical conjecture)". While George Lois is certainly a talented advertiser and author (the book is, if nothing else, entertaining) much of the advice offered in this book is nonsensical, and in some cases not even advice at all. I'm not sure there's a piece of advice in here that isn't already immediately apparent to anyone with any semblance of critical thinking skills. Of the 120 points i ...more
Kyle
Jun 14, 2012 Kyle rated it it was amazing
This is a short book packed with awesome tid bits about creativity and marketing. I read it cover to cover. At times, the book was so spot on and insightful that I slammed it shut with anxiety. Holy cow, this is so good it's scary. Right after I was done reading it, I pulled out a notepad and began shooting out ideas.
Stephanie Marie
Jan 02, 2013 Stephanie Marie rated it liked it
Shelves: design
This book is a great motivator. It boasts a clean, fun design, it's easy to read (in one sitting or spread out over a week where you really need a kick in the pants), and is straightforward. George knows what he knows and that's all there is to it.

At first, I was thrown off by the numbered list format of the book-- I was expecting something more traditional-- but it was great. It made it very light and easily digestible. George's writing style is aggressive, in your face, and matter-of-fact-- s
Tamara
Jan 25, 2014 Tamara rated it it was amazing
I read this book while I was backpacking through Europe right after I finished 5 years of Architecture school. I was in a place where you realize you've been pushed into the real world and you barely know how to swim. You haven't figured anything out yet.
This book gave me 'Damn Good Advice' that I still go through at times when no one else can say the right thing. It's fresh and in-your-face. I loved how clear and to the point his writing style is. No BS, just like talking to the author in his l
Daniel White
Nov 13, 2014 Daniel White rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Very inspirational. Crazy fonts and marvelous pictures. I hope more books get printed this!

George Lois tells us about his career. He says that success is:

1% inspiration
9% perspiration
90% justification

Reminded me of a book I read recently by Paul Arden about his career. Same great format and theme.
Chadi Nanaa
Nov 14, 2014 Chadi Nanaa rated it it was amazing
Damn ! A great book !
Keely
Feb 10, 2015 Keely rated it really liked it
Picked this up yesterday afternoon while in the library aimlessly looking for inspiration and ended up reading the whole thing. Lois shares his advice on creativity, hard work and big ideas, gleaned over a 50+-year career in advertising. He claims to take the show Mad Men as a personal insult, but it's hard not to be reminded of just a teensy little bit of Don Draper while reading Lois' thoughts on having absolute confidence in your work and selling your ideas. Anyway, it's a visually striking b ...more
Miranda
Jan 22, 2016 Miranda rated it did not like it
Not so "damn good". Most of the advice is either thinly veiled career boasting or something you should already know if you've progressed beyond the first year of marketing or design school. The book reads like a giant run-on sentence of "do more and do better" without actually giving insight into how to do this other than to "try". I've read more creative insight in a dry textbook, which is very disappointing because George Lois is talented and accomplished in his career.
There are many examples
Afnan Aldimasi
Aug 10, 2014 Afnan Aldimasi rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, 2013
This is a GREAT book for readers interested in design and specifically advertising. However, it also contains worthy general advice. The writer's passion for his field is spilled all over the pages which provides a great inspiration for the reader. George Lois mentions his own experiences and the secrets to the success of many of his work. As for myself, My mind started thinking like advertiser and I started drafting ideas right away. I'm very glad I had purchased this book and I plan to read it ...more
Jasia
Jan 02, 2014 Jasia rated it it was amazing
A book I would HIGHLY recommend to anybody going into any creative field. Clear, specific, bold advice for making things happen in your career and feeling good about yourself every step of the way. Written by George Lois, who can only be described as the original Mad Man... He vehemently denies any connection to the show, but if you subtract the philandering, drinking in the workplace and other generally frowned-upon activities, some of the stories Lois tells could be right out of the T.V. show. ...more
Sophie
Dec 19, 2014 Sophie rated it liked it
George Lois is an American art director, designer, and author. In Damn Good Advice , Lois offers a guide to creativity and success heavily influenced by his time spent working in advertising. While the book's advice heavily leans towards design work and advertising skills, there are pointers and advice that can benefit anyone working in a creative field.
Fa6amie
Sep 13, 2015 Fa6amie rated it liked it
This book was pretty good, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I wanted to because I couldn't relate to it. It was more targeted for people that could use their creativity at work; artists, marketing, graphic design, etc. It talked mostly about advertising & how to stand out with your ideas through creativity.
Gord
Sep 20, 2013 Gord rated it really liked it
A no BS examination of creativity and how to unleash/master it. Lois is gruff, perhaps even rude at times, but when he knows what has to be done, he gets it done. I'd work for him.
Patrick Justo
Jan 30, 2014 Patrick Justo rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
I have a strange weakness: I'm attracted to the genre of "How To Be Creative" books. I don't know why -- they're all exactly the same, and they're all exactly useless.
Shog Al Mas
May 14, 2016 Shog Al Mas rated it really liked it
The book said it all!
Anggia Widhi
Jun 14, 2015 Anggia Widhi rated it liked it
for people in the advertisement agency especially
Obi
Dec 08, 2016 Obi rated it liked it
Was the advice "Damn good"? No. But it was good. And the short chapters make it an easy-breezy read. George Lois likes to talk a lot about himself but that's fine, he's done some things worth talking about. I recommend it but don't go out of your way.
Dani
Jan 07, 2017 Dani rated it really liked it
I am a big fan of these books. I have been given this and 'It's not how good you are, it's how good you want to be' as gifts. Great quick reads for short journeys to inspire. I also like giving these books as gifts to fellow creatives and those in creative industries.
Carine Bender
Nov 20, 2016 Carine Bender rated it liked it
I did like the book but the three stars is just because there is nothing really great about it, it feels like you are just reading George Loui's life story and although you can learn a lot from that I wouldn't call it a damn good advice. It was an entertaining reading.
Claudia
Damn good book. Straightforward, with on point ideas for the creative field from someone who actually made it. Some things you already know but that you need to be reminded from time to time, as routine always kicks in.
Eliza
Dec 18, 2016 Eliza rated it it was amazing
Best book to bust any sort of issue with motivation, inspiration and direction.
Cheryl
Nov 20, 2016 Cheryl rated it liked it
While interesting, I don't think I was necessarily the target audience.
Maximilian Ruf
Dec 13, 2016 Maximilian Ruf rated it it was amazing
Perfect read to get an idea what "out of the box" actually could mean.
Haya
Oct 14, 2016 Haya rated it it was amazing
The book says it all. It has a way of unleashing one's inner creativity.
Debra
Jun 30, 2013 Debra rated it it was amazing
Wow. George Lois is a hero in my book. He has lived by some pretty gutsy principles – I admire that and the fact that he has a shit list. He’s one of those from the breed I’d call "real men" (reference “Why men aren’t really men anymore” by Paul Hudson, Elite Daily).

Most creatives and agencies today fall short. Most of us play at being ad (wo)men without having the passion for being one, or we lose it along the way somehow. Hardcore is what we should be, in any chosen field or profession. And i
Loy Machedo
Jul 10, 2013 Loy Machedo rated it liked it
Loy Machedo's Book Review - Damn Good Advice by George Lois

I had no idea who George Lois was until I purchased Paul Arden's Phaidon books (Whatever You Think, Think the Opposite; It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be). Here is what I could google of him:

George Lois is an American art director, designer, and author.
Lois is perhaps best known for over 92 covers he designed for Esquire magazine from 1962 to 1972.
Lois is the only person inducted into all of the following: The Art D
Rowena Morais
Feb 10, 2013 Rowena Morais rated it really liked it
Book Title : Damn Good Advice (for people with talent!) : How to unleash your creative potential with America's Master Communicator
Author : George Lois
Published by : Phaidon
Year of publication: 2012
ISBN: 978 0 7148 6348 1
Details : paperback
Price : RM35.90

This is a book by an advertising legend. He made the totally unknown Tommy Hilfiger immediately famous with just one ad. He has written nine other books, including George, Be Careful, his biography.

Visually appealing, boldness is his forte. With
Emily
Mar 14, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it
The author of the book Damn Good Advice is Gorge Lois.This book is a non fiction.The genre is fact/advice.The length of the book is 120 pages and published in 2012.In this book there are numerous tips on how to become successful and also life lessons from Gorge Lois.A lot of the tips are funny in the way that he writes it. This book promises to "Unleash your creative potential". I chose to read this book because it looked like it would be funny by looking at the title and also I thought it could ...more
Robyn
Mar 19, 2013 Robyn rated it really liked it

I saw George Lois promoting this book on Jimmy Kimmel and bought it the next day. This never happens.

Apart from knowing it was Lois' new book and a collection of wisdom and advice gleaned over decades as a leader in the advertising industry, I didn't know what to expect. But…thing is if this is a collection of Lois' best advice how could I go wrong? The thing sells itself!

Damn Good Advice features 120 nuggets from Lois, which span the spectrum of his work in advertising. Each point follows a thr

• How to Think Like a Great Graphic Designer
  • Thoughts on Design
  • It's Not How Good You Are, It's How Good You Want To Be
  • Graphic Artists Guild Handbook: Pricing & Ethical Guidelines
  • As Little Design as Possible
  • Symbol
  • Orbiting the Giant Hairball: A Corporate Fool's Guide to Surviving with Grace
  • How to be a Graphic Designer Without Losing Your Soul
  • Clients From Hell: A collection of anonymously-contributed client horror stories from designers
  • D&AD: The Copy Book
  • 101 contrarian Ideas About Advertising
  • The Shape of Design
  • Type: A Visual History of Typefaces and Graphic Styles (Volume 2, 1901-1938)
  • Cutting Edge Advertising: How to Create the World's Best for Brands in the 21st Century
  • Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services
  • Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This: A Guide to Creating Great Ads