Start by marking “The Gardens of Covington (Ladies of Covington, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Gardens of Covington (Ladies of Covington, #2)

The Gardens of Covington (Ladies of Covington #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  502 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Hannah, cool-headed and calm, battles to save their beloved hills from the rapacious development that has already ruined Loring Valley, only five minutes form Cove Road. Amelia, giddy with a newfound love, abandons the ladies and her photography to please her dashing new beau. And Grace is driven to prove she has an eye for business when she and her steady companion, Bob R ...more
Published May 19th 2002 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published April 30th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Gardens of Covington, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gardens of Covington

Claire
Aug 19, 2010 Claire rated it liked it
I feel like I can give the same review for all of the Covington books. I like them obviously because I can't seem to put them down once I've started and I always want to read the next in the series but...

What does the author have against men? I mean, I am all for women taking charge of their lives and being independent. Don't get me wrong. But it just seems like the author sort of belittles men in general as if they are expendable. Women need men and men need women- that's the bottom line. And w
Connie
Jan 29, 2014 Connie rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Visiting with the Ladies of Covington in Book 2 of the series by Joan Medlicott was enjoyable. This book introduced a few more neighbors of Cove Road, as well as shared events of Hannah, Amelia and Grace's lives in a small area of western North Carolina. I am looking forward to continuing this series.
Sandy
Oct 11, 2012 Sandy rated it really liked it
The three Covington books by Joan Medlicott are very sweet stories about three ladies in their 60s who meet at a boarding house where their families have left them to live out their later years. Good fortune results in the three being able to live together in their own home and share everyday joys and disappointments. Although very simple reads, they cover the tough issues of today, providing us a fresh, mature viewpoint.
Sheri
Feb 26, 2016 Sheri rated it liked it
The story continues. Hannah gets more involved with her gardening. Grace and Bob open a tea Shoppe and Amelia becomes quite the photographer. Here and there are stories sprinkled in about the ladies' immediate families. We are getting to know the locals more and they are more accepting of these three women who moved into the old farmhouse.
Pam
Aug 06, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it
I just reread this book. I really liked the Ladies of Covington and recommended it to my book club when I first read the series.

It's nice to read a book series about older women who take charge of their lives after spending most of their lives bowing to the men in their lives.

Marjorie DeAngelis
May 20, 2015 Marjorie DeAngelis rated it it was amazing
Joy. As a gardener, I was specially interested, as a senior I loved every twist and turn. The ladies are so very different, yet they empathize with each other in their love for each other, when they are hurt, puzzled, whatever! What a ride!

Nancy
Jan 05, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it
This is the second in a series of books about three older ladies who have moved in together as newcomers to a small town in South Carolina. The ladies have distinct personalities with strengths and flaws that interact but never destroy the bond that they've established. In this book, we see them becoming more involved with community affairs and acquainted with quirky individuals who seem to have been pigeon-holed and written-off by long-time residents. We also see a questionable romance and two ...more
Sharon
Jan 30, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it
If you enjoyed Jan Karon's Mitford series, I would suggest you read Joan Medlicott's series about the ladies who live in Covington, a fictitious town set in the Blue Ridge Mts. of NC. This is the second book in Medlicott's series.
Deelighted
Apr 02, 2016 Deelighted rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable series of books with well fleshed out, believable characters who are senior citizens.
Rita
Jul 13, 2009 Rita rated it really liked it
The Ladies of Covington are at it again. This book took a little longer to get into than the first one, but soon I was eager to see what they were up to next. Hannah is determined to save Cove Road from being developed into another condo development and resort. Amelia finds romance--but is it really? And Grace is there to advise and encourage them and all the new friends they meet in this wonderful town of Covington. What a fun book!
Donna
Jan 24, 2013 Donna rated it really liked it
I really like this book. The book is based in a fictional city of Covington, near Asheville. But she refers so often to real places in Asheville that I became so familiar with... it's like visiting Asheville every time I open the book.

This was the 2nd book in the series and I am really enjoying watching how the character develop, the stories about their lives develop.

Patricia Solla
Feb 17, 2010 Patricia Solla rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
This is the second book written by the author about three older women who start new adventures living in South Carolina. In the first book we found out how they left the adult home they were living in and moved to Covington. In this book we find out what they have been doing and how it's affected their lives. I like the characters and the storyline.
Teresa
Apr 30, 2016 Teresa rated it it was amazing
Just a nice read. I love the characters of this series...especially the ladies of Covington. They are each different...different gifts and talents, different goals and dreams, different personalities. But they blend together and create a lovely home and a strong friendship. Looking forward to the third book in this delightful series.
Jackie
Feb 10, 2012 Jackie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
Read the first book about how the ladies came to Covington and was anxious to read more about them. This one was not quite as good as the first but enjoyed that she showed that love occurs at any age. I am enthralled with idea of widows living together yet being independent and active.
Joanna
Feb 19, 2016 Joanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very pleasant book about 3 ladies in their 60s who have come to live in a small South Carolina town, their involvement with other local inhabitants and local issues, their loves, their relationships with each other and their children. A gentle novel, pleasant, tolerant.
Jean Perry
Jul 29, 2011 Jean Perry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
What a delightful read, but also thought provoking. These three women are so human and normal. They have interesting, not dramatically truamatic, lives. I could live in the farmhouse. All of the characters and events and locTions seem real. I'll continue the series
Fay Bassett
Apr 05, 2013 Fay Bassett rated it really liked it
The story of three older women who live together. They celebrate friendship, families and love. They share laughter and tears helping each other out with simple words of wisdom. A very enjoyable book. Looking forword to reading the first in this series and any others.
Ann
Jul 21, 2009 Ann rated it it was ok
This book took me back to my childhood living in a small town. It was about accepting strangers and being there for others in time of need. It is about friedships, relationships, love, passion, and commitment. I would recommend this for light reading.
Barbara Cook
Aug 08, 2013 Barbara Cook rated it liked it
3.5 This one dragged in the middle for me a little bit. I do enjoy the ladies though and the authors including "problems of life" and how they deal with them together.
Nancy
Apr 06, 2009 Nancy rated it liked it
The follow-up to The Ladies of Covington Send Their Love. Took me a while to get into it, but turned out to be a good read.
Judy Wise
Jul 11, 2011 Judy Wise rated it did not like it
Finally had to put this book away. I just could not get into it. At this time I need something a little faster reading
Gwen
Mar 13, 2009 Gwen added it
Another very satisfying book about modern mature women in very up-to-date situations and relationships. The second in the series.
Susan
a bit disappointing because I had hoped for a true garden novel. Oh well, might try her next one if I see it.
Donna Townsend
Oct 13, 2013 Donna Townsend rated it it was amazing
I went through a gardening stage a couple of years ago. it was very rewarding. enjoying the saga of these ladies.
Sandy
Apr 07, 2011 Sandy added it
Delightful. The ladies experience real life challenges as well as joys and growth.
Joann in tx
Jul 19, 2010 Joann in tx rated it it was amazing
enjoyed it and hope to get the remaining books in the series.
Chris
Apr 06, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pleasant read about strong, mature women and their journeys together.
Nancy Carty Lepri
Dec 30, 2010 Nancy Carty Lepri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful tale about friendship.
Lisa
Jul 08, 2008 Lisa marked it as to-read
Ladies of Covington series / book two
May Ellen
Jul 31, 2012 May Ellen rated it really liked it
Loved it !
  • The Spirit of Covington (Ladies of Covington, #4)
  • Friday's Daughter
  • The Dream
  • Life on Planet Mom: A Down-To-Earth Guide to Your Changing Relationships
  • To Honor and Trust (Bridal Veil Island, #3)
  • The Deer in the Wood
  • Dearest Dorothy, If Not Now, When? (Dearest Dorothy, #6)
  • Sweet Sanctuary
  • A Girl After God's Own Heart: A Tween Adventure with Jesus
  • Her Sister's Shadow

Ladies of Covington (10 books)
  • The Ladies of Covington Send Their Love (Ladies of Covington, #1)
  • From the Heart of Covington (Ladies of Covington, #3)
  • The Spirit of Covington (Ladies of Covington, #4)
  • At Home in Covington (Ladies of Covington, #5)
  • A Covington Christmas
  • Two Days After the Wedding (Ladies of Covington, #6)
  • An Unexpected Family (Ladies of Covington, #7)
  • Promises of Change  (Ladies of Covington, #8)
  • A Blue and Gray Christmas