Start by marking “Life Begins at Forty (Per Ardua #2)” as Want to Read:
Life Begins at Forty (Per Ardua #2)

Life Begins at Forty (Per Ardua #2)

After months of physiotherapy, Group Captain Jack Ratigan has regained some of the mobility lost in plane crash at the end of World War II. But six years later, he still requires the care of his cousin’s butler, Ifan—who is also Jack’s secret lover. In an era when homosexuality is an imprisonable offence, they have to maintain the utmost discretion or risk prosecution.

Inse
Published October 13th 2011 by Dreamspinner Press (first published October 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Life Begins at Forty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life Begins at Forty

Erastes
Dec 29, 2012 Erastes rated it it was ok
Shelves: gay-historical
OK. I had to work hard with this book and I took the effort because it’s pretty well written and it’s clear the author has talent. But there’s a but coming, you can tell, can’t you?

But.

It’s Torchwood fanfiction and it’s another one of those annoyingly done ones which have taken the merest cursory swipe of the cleaning rag to remove any serial numbers and frankly might as well not have bothered because anyone who has watched the programme and has any knowledge of the characters is going to spot i
Serena Yates
Oct 12, 2011 Serena Yates rated it liked it
Shelves: gay
Even though I didn't read the first book, I was able to follow the story in this second volume really well. There was enough background information to clue me in, and the plot sounded more intersting to me than the more war-based one in the first book. That is just my own personal preference, though, others may want to read the first volume to get the full picture of these two men's backgrounds.

I wasn't disappointed. Dealing with the aftermath of an injury in addition to hiding the true nature o
Jenre
Nov 02, 2011 Jenre rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, historicals, romance
This story follows on from the end of Per Ardua which I reviewed here. Jack is approaching his 40th birthday and his cousin Bronwen has plans for a big party. Jack and Ifan are horrified when they received a poison pen letter, which tells them that they will be exposed as 'sodomites', especially when Bronwen is injured by a stone which has been deliberately thrown through their door window. The two men know that they have been very careful in public not to show the true nature of their feelings, ...more
Trisha Harrington
Oct 31, 2012 Trisha Harrington rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, loved
Life Begins at Forty is the sequel to Per Ardua. It was another amazing book by Jessie Blackwell and I have to say the catch up with Jack and Ifan was good. Miss Blackwood does an amazing job with this story and the couple also. This book takes place just after the epilogue of Per Ardua and it shows the struggle of being gay in the 1940's/1950's. Again in this book I found myself unable to put down the book until I had it completed.
I still love both Jack and Ifan. The courage they showed in thi
Katisha
Katisha rated it it was amazing
Nov 10, 2011
Lada
Lada rated it it was ok
Nov 05, 2011
Izzie
Izzie rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2013
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2011
Tj
Tj marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2011
Maya
Maya marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2011
Sadonna
Sadonna marked it as to-read
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Kevin
Kevin added it
Oct 22, 2011
Gabi
Gabi marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2011
Cole Riann
Cole Riann marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2011
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful* marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2011
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2011
Shanna
Shanna added it
Jan 01, 2012
Kinga
Kinga marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2012
Pushubuu
Pushubuu marked it as to-read
May 11, 2012
Emilie
Emilie marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2012
Morgana
Morgana marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2012
Fiona
Fiona marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2013
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
May 18, 2013
Mel
Mel marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2013
FlibBityFLooB
FlibBityFLooB marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2013
Jimjgm
Jimjgm marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2013
Donna
Donna added it
Jan 15, 2014
Elisa Rolle
Elisa Rolle marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015

Per Ardua (2 books)
  • Per Ardua (Per Ardua #1)