Start by marking “Marshal of Hel Dorado (Fevered Hearts, #1)” as Want to Read:
Marshal of Hel Dorado (Fevered Hearts, #1)

Marshal of Hel Dorado (Fevered Hearts #1)

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  26 reviews
In the shadows of the Old West, that untamed land, live bands of outlaws and outsiders. In a time when fevers could fell whole towns, these few survivors are marked. Marked…and forever changed.

Sam Kane is the oldest brother, the steadfast son and the confident marshal. He’s never met a problem too hot to handle until a gang behind a string of robberies across the territory...more
Published October 10th 2011

To ask other readers questions about Marshal of Hel Dorado, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marshal of Hel Dorado

Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold by Ellen O'ConnellTexas Destiny by Lorraine HeathThe Texan's Wager by Jodi ThomasDark Warrior by Lenore WolfeSing My Name by Ellen O'Connell
Favorite Western/Cowboy Romance Novels
234th out of 429 books — 420 voters
Cowgirl Up and Ride by Lorelei JamesLong Hard Ride by Lorelei JamesRough, Raw, and Ready by Lorelei JamesShoulda Been a Cowboy by Lorelei JamesTied Up, Tied Down by Lorelei James
Best Cowboy/Western Romance
79th out of 238 books — 159 voters

More lists with this book...

Amber Rose
I normally do not read western genre. But I must say this one was not what I was expecting. I like how there is a little twist of paranormal with romance. It was quite good. No sex sense till almost the very end, I was hoping for it to happen sooner. But it was still good.
Drmgrl99
This is the first book from Heather Long I have read and I am very pleased to report that I will be reading more of her and this new Fevered Hearts series! I'm normally not a western genre reader so it took me a bit to get into the book and the old west feel, but once I got into the first chapter I was in and saddling up for the long haul.

As with any book there has to be some kind of twist and turn in it to keep it moving, but the turns and twists in this one were not expected at all. It starts...more
Lisa Benedict
A true old fashioned love story set in the old west. With a few twists and turns, this story has shapeshifters and magic to spare.
Marshal Kane catches Scarlett as she is exciting an empty bank vault. Except there was only one way in and one way out and since the Marshal was standing at the front door how did Scarlett and her gang enter and exit?
Scarlett while being a co-operative prisioner is all too happy to go with the sheriff, giving only the minimalist of information to the man. Deciding tha...more
Pam Godwin
The Fevered Hearts series' first book rides a mystical barrier between wild west and paranormal fantasy. The polished writing gives a high-level view of the challenges endured in nineteenth century American frontier life: disease, prostitution, banditry, range wars. Quanto's family of magical misfits suffers these toils in hiding, fearful of public reaction to their gifts. When their land is put up for auction, they become outlaws to keep it.

Their supposed adversaries, the dusty, rugged cowboys...more
Noel
When I started reading Heather Long's "Marshal of Hel Dorado" I thought it was a straight up Western Romance maybe with twist or two included. I am happy to report that due to the exciting storyline and paranormal elements, I could not put this book down until I reached the very last page!

Sam Kane is a member of the founding family of Dorado, Texas and the town Marshal. Dorado is a quiet town with few, if any, problems or rowdiness, which is exactly what Sam likes.

Scarlet Morning Star just want...more
Roxanne
Loved it. Great western romance with paranormal icing! Looking forward to next
Kati (Romancing Rakes For The Love of Romance)
***original review posted at Romancing Rakes***

What do you get when you put the X-Men and Captain Tightpants together? Scarlett Morning Star and Marshal Sam Kane, the hero and heroine of Marshal of Hel Dorado. Seriously, this book surprised the heck out of me. I read it on the first leg of my flight back to San Diego. I even tuned out all the screaming children because I wanted to finish this book before touching down in Vegas. That's how awesomely awesome it was.

Scarlett Morning Star wanted an...more
Niina
1850. Sam is the marshal of Dorado, and one of the Kane brothers, he’s in charge of keeping the peace. When the vault of his town is broken into and gold stolen he find only the redheaded vixen is his hands. While the others run away with the gold, some of the town people want the girl stringed up and hanged. Taking the girl, Scarlett, to the Kane family ranch for safe keeping until she can be judged doesn’t work the way Sam would like. Riding to the ranch with her awakes desires he thought he’d...more
Annie Slasher (Booked & Loaded)
This is an original review from http://bookedandloaded.com - I personally purchased this book.

Marshal of Hel Dorado is Heather Long's first book in her Fevered Hearts series. I truly devoured this story. Long pulled me into the cowboy world of Marshal Samuel Kane and his family. It scuked me into the past with such brilliant clarity, I could smell the horse sweat and hay. *sigh* It was a beautiful ride.

Marshal of Hel Dorado made me warm and fuzzy all over. With SO many great characters and a pl...more
Teresa
This book is a phenomenon: there is only one real sex scene between hero and heroine, and it's at about 92%...that's something I hate in romance novels. I usually like them to have sex at least when the book is half done. But I loved this book nonetheless!
The characters are wonderful, and I will immediately get the next book in the series...Heather Long seems to share my blond-guy-fetish, the Kane-Brothers are blond, Cody is blond...YAY!
The whole setting is the most authentic Western scenery I e...more
Sassy Moms Say Read Romance
What can I say, other than this is an amazing story. Heather Long filled it with so much, that it’s hard to pinpoint the best place to start with. Not only is this story, an amazing romance, but I would also categorize it as mystery, action, paranormal, passionate and heartwarming. You are cheering for the characters from the beginning. When I first began to read the story, I had a little bit of trouble getting through the first few pages, but that’s not Heather’s fault or does it take anything...more
The Smutty Kitty
As posted on The Smutty Kitty reviewed by Kinky Kitten

4 out of 5 Licks

It took me a bit to get into this one but I'm glad I stuck it through. I'm normally not into reading westerns but the paranormal aspect intrigued me. The heat between the 2 main characters Sam and Scarlett is tangible from the start. Her brothers and her were robbing the bank and she was the only one caught. To keep her safe from the towns people stringing her up Sam decides to take her to his family home, The Flying K.

Sam's t...more
Renee
Great story. Not a typical old west historical book. It has paranormal elements and shifter too. I liked it.
Drmgrl99

Tara Clegg
MY REVIEW COURTESY OF FALLEN ANGEL REVIEWS:

Marshal of Hel Dorado
Fevered Hearts 1

As marshal of the town of Dorado, Sam Kane is confident there is no problem he cannot solve. That all changes when he witnesses a bank robbery that defies all explanation. The gold is gone, the safe is still locked and the robbers have vanished, save one woman- Scarlett. Suddenly, Sam has his hands full keeping Scarlett safe from the townspeople who would see her hanged while solving the mystery behind the robbery....more
Romancing the Book
Reviewed By~Sherri
Review Copy Provided By~Author

When ruggedly handsome Marshal Sam Kane discovers Scarlett Morning Star and her brothers robbing his bank you quickly realize this is not going to be your typical western romance. Ms. Long weaves paranormal elements into the Wild West so gracefully that shape shifting, fire-starting and psychic ability naturally blend into the rough and tumble town of Hel Dorado.

Sam Kane and his brothers are quintessential cowboys; every bit the alpha-male with a...more
Joyfully Reviewed
Marshal Samuel Kane lays in wait for the bank robbers that have been hitting towns all around his town, Dorado. He never expected to catch one fiery woman red-handed. Her lips may be sealed but Sam intends to extract all of her secrets while saving her hide from a hanging. The town is anxious to string up the little vixen. In order to ensure proper legal protocol, and her safety, Sam whisks her off to the family ranch.

Scarlett Morning Star comes from a unique family. She and all of her brothers...more
Sara Miller
Pretty solid western romance with a touch of paranormal, this book has been likened to Young Guns meets X Men and I have to say that comparison is pretty close. I would have liked to see a little bit ore of the back story, to not only Scarlet and her family but for the hero's family as well. They are such rich characters that I think the author can do quite a bit getting us to follow along with not only the characters present day, but all of the days before we've joined them.
Leigh
Sam Kane is a lawman through and through. Scarlett Morning Star is s girl looking for adventure. What brings the together is her capture during the robbery of the Bank in Dorado!

This is the first book in the Fevered Hearts series and I personally love first stories! You get a little taste of what's to come, whose story you are looking forward too! In my experience Book 1 tends to sometimes spend more time introducing characters that are to come in subsequent books and not always focus on the MC'...more
Julianna
Love this new series of books. I read this first one in the anthology Sinfully Supernatural and immediately had to read the next one in the series, and haven't stopped yet.
Mary
I received a free copy of this book to read and review.

I really enjoyed this book. Ms. Long did an excellent job of setting up the story and creating believable characters. The setting of this story in the Texas Hill Country during the aftermath of the Civil War gave it a spectacular backdrop.

Sam and Scarlet's rocky road of romance is quite believable and entertaining. Scarlet's family members are wary of her getting involved with the marshal but Sam's family is eager and willing to take her in...more
Adriana Caceres
I must say at first I was a bit Leary of the story... I mean I understand completely having to set up the characters and the scene especially with a time piece like this, but I mustered on and have to say thoroughly enjoyed the entire book. The characters, all of them bring so much into the story Yes it's mostly about Sam and Scarlett, but it wouldn't work, they wouldn't work without the eclectic cast of brothers on both sides. It was a great book with everything a reader could ask for, adventur...more
karn
Don't normally read westerns set in 1800's but this one caught my attention from page one. Fantastic all the way through and waited with baited breath to see what was going to happen next. Great action and of course love, lust and something different along the way. Loved the twists and turns. An interesting and thoroughly enjoyable read- not a disappointing page in the whole book! There is a book 2, now on to finding out what mess the Kid is going to get into, because knowing him there will be a...more
Janis F
Marshal of Hel Dorado is the first book in Heather's Fevered Hearts series. Let me tell you, I'm not usually into Historical but this book I could NOT put down.

Marshal Sam Kane goes after a gang of bank robbers and falls in love with the beautiful redhead Scarlett Morning Star. The Morning Star family has a secret but love still finds a way.

If you enjoy a good western with a little paranormal thrown in, then you must pick up this book. You will not be disappointed.
Donna
Sam Kane is the Marshal who catches the fiery red head Scarlett Morning Star robbing the bank red handed. To keep her from being lynched by the townsfolk he takes her to his family’s ranch where he discovers that her temper isn't the only thing that heats up. I loved watching Scarlett grow and fell for the Kane and Morning Star brothers.
Tammera
I loved the way this book flowed it was beautifully written and I will be looking for the next in the series!
Susan Child
Susan Child marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Rajwamt
Rajwamt marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Kristy
Kristy marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
National bestselling author Heather Long likes long walks in the park, science fiction, superheroes, Marines, and men who aren’t douche bags. She writes snarky women tangled in romance as hot as Texas summertime. From paranormal historical westerns to contemporary military romance, Heather might switch genres, but one thing is true in all of her stories—the characters drive the books. When she’s n...more
More about Heather Long...
Some Like it Royal (Going Royal, #1) Once Her Man, Always Her Man (Always a Marine, #1; 1Night Stand, #99) Retreat Hell! She Just Got Here (1 Night Stand, Always a Marine, #2) A Marine and a Gentleman (Always a Marine, #9) Tell It To The Marine (1 Night Stand, Always A Marine, #3)