Start by marking “The Gift of Jazzy” as Want to Read:
The Gift of Jazzy

The Gift of Jazzy

After New York Post columnist Cindy Adams lost her husband Joey to cancer, finding companionship again was the last thing on her mind. But one day, a visit from a friend brought just that, in the form Cindy least expected: a tiny dog. Cindy Adams brings her famous wit, smarts and taste for celebrity gossip to a wry and touching story of the bond between a dog and its unlik ...more
Published February 14th 2004 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Gift of Jazzy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gift of Jazzy

Lisa Mendiaz
Feb 25, 2008 Lisa Mendiaz rated it it was amazing
Dogs are my passion and I couldn't put this book down. It' about a famous New York columnist, Cindy Adams who while grieving over the death of her husband has been gifted a puppy, whom she names Jazzy. Cindy can't even keep a plant alive and the thought of taking care of another living creature is daunting. Cindy knows every celebrity as she is a celebrity writer. The book tells many amuzing tales of her interviews many with Jazzy by her side. Every dog lover will be able to relate to the hijink ...more
Danny Housley
Feb 04, 2013 Danny Housley rated it really liked it
Great book, I see a lot of complaints about her dropping names and bragging. She's a gossip columnist (and one of the best) keep that in mind while reading.
Lisa Romansky
Aug 28, 2007 Lisa Romansky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoirs, fiction
This book is Cindy Adam's memoior about her first Yorkie that she got right after her husband died. It is about how he helped her get through the death of her husband, and about all the funny little tricks and antics and trouble that puppies/Yorkies get in to. As a Yorkie owner myself I loved this book.
Courtney
Jul 10, 2013 Courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute book about gossip columnist Cindy Adams' dog Jazzy and the love she has for him. It is apparent throughout the book that she loved her husband, then transfers that love to her dog. All dog lovers/parents can relate (except she is super rich and provides Jazzy with ravishing things). A perfect book for dogs lovers to read in bed with their dog children.
Hank Stuever
Apr 26, 2015 Hank Stuever rated it liked it
File under "books I read in the course of an assignment" (in this case writing a profile of Cindy Adams in March 2003 for the Washington Post.)
Jeannie
Sep 14, 2008 Jeannie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: dog lovers
This was such a cute read especially if you are a dog lover like me. Fast paced-I couldn't wait to find out what happened next. A fun and quick read.

Nichole Wallace
Nov 20, 2008 Nichole Wallace rated it it was amazing
Love this book!
Taylor
Jan 10, 2016 Taylor rated it it was ok
Cindy Adams is rude and pompous at times, but her story of unexpected love is genuine and heartwarming. I was expecting this book to be more about the dog than it was, but I found myself laughing out loud at some of Jazzy's antics. Many of the stories were obviously embellished (and there's a note stating that in the beginning), and I enjoyed the simpler stories of Jazzy causing trouble more than those that were clearly tweaked for humor's sake. There were also some weird tense changes, although ...more
Pamela
Dec 13, 2016 Pamela rated it it was ok
Cindy Adams is a well known gossip columnist for the NY Post. After the death of her husband of 40 years, friends gifted her with a tiny Yorkshire Terrier who she named Jazzy. She immediately fell in love, bringing him along almost everywhere with her. This book is about the famous people the author associates with and the trouble her puppy gets into at every turn. Number one, the chick has way too much money. Number two, she has absolutely no control over the animal, which was probably a total ...more
Stacey Lynn
Mar 20, 2010 Stacey Lynn rated it did not like it
This woman loves to brag about her wealth accumulated through a marriage of convenience and her high social status. I am an avid dog lover and have worked in the animal industry as a business owner and professional for the past 7 years. It makes me cringe when pet owners are ignorant as to what pets need to properly be cared for. I'm sure through the life of the dog, she learned, but so far this read has been nothing but her bragging about her Human-infested life and about how poor Jazzy who was ...more
Paula Beck
May 26, 2016 Paula Beck rated it liked it
Mixed Review: When I started this book, it was 5 stars. Laugh Out Loud. I thought of the friends that would love Cindy Adam's acerbic humor. I would have started the review: Not just a dog story, a story of love and mourning, celebrities and laughs. But then after a while, the author's voice began to grate on my nerves, and I just had to stop listening. I think it was too long. But listen to the beginning for sure!
Kathleen
Jun 25, 2008 Kathleen rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I always liked Cindy Adams when she did her gossip segment on WNBC in NYC with Sue Simmons. She was this crazy NY lady with big jewelry and a big mouth. I thought maybe this book would be funny, and since I was in the market for a light, summery beach read, this seemed like a good choice. But I got bored very quick reading about her and the dog.
Kathy McC
Mar 28, 2008 Kathy McC rated it liked it
Cute book for dog lovers. Not exciting prose, but it was entertaining. Adams, a columnist for the NY Post, writes about the com fort and love she garnered from a Yorkshire terrier after the death of her husband. She takes the dog everywhere with her and its antics make for fun reading.
Debra
Jan 19, 2014 Debra rated it did not like it
While I loved the stories about Jazzy and found myself laughing hysterically, by the time I finished the book I was sick of the name dropping so prevalent throughout....enough already....you know everyone who is someone but what of the dog....
Susan
May 01, 2011 Susan rated it did not like it
Awful. Read by the author with a strong NY accent like she was doing comedy routine in the Catskills, but it was very unfunny. Supposedly about how the tiny dog helps her when she is widowed, but it was too much about the author and not about the dog. I repeat, awful!
Zia
Oct 14, 2016 Zia rated it it was amazing
Sweetness
Emily
Jul 16, 2008 Emily rated it liked it
A must read for anyone with a Yorkie looking to normalize their situation. I don't think it is as funny as the author intended, but it is right on!
Kristy
Jun 08, 2010 Kristy rated it liked it
Cindy Adams tells the story of how her Yorkie, Jazzy, filled the void her husband left when he died.
Christopher
Dec 26, 2007 Christopher rated it it was amazing
An endearing story of a lonely lady and a sweet dog. A new relationship.
Sue Kozlowski
Aug 24, 2013 Sue Kozlowski rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
Non-fiction. The author is a NY Post columnist. Her husband dies and she gets a Yorkshire Terrier, "Jazzy" as a gift.
Cathy Houston
Feb 02, 2016 Cathy Houston rated it it was ok
lots of famous names dropped but basically just a crazy woman with a crazy dog
Haidee
Sep 04, 2008 Haidee rated it did not like it
I'm listening to this. Weird book.
Katie
Jan 16, 2011 Katie rated it it was ok
Quick read, but talked a lot about her famous connections. Only good if you have a yorkie probably.
Jenny
Mar 21, 2009 Jenny rated it liked it
This woman is totally obsessed with her little dog. An animal lovers non-fiction.
Linda
Aug 20, 2010 Linda rated it liked it
I too have fallen in love with tiny Yorkies and been a "Mom" to three of them.
Glenette
Apr 21, 2012 Glenette rated it liked it
There were parts of this book that were funny. There were other parts of this book where I forgot I was supposed to be reading about Jazzy, the dog.
Rachael
Aug 12, 2007 Rachael rated it it was amazing
A must read for any yorkie lover or dog lover in general.
Helen P
Helen P rated it really liked it
May 26, 2012
Johnnie Wallace
Johnnie Wallace rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2008
Patrice
Patrice rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2009