Start by marking “Absorbed” as Want to Read:
Absorbed

Absorbed

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  214 ratings  ·  56 reviews
When Violet finds a beautiful but mysterious gift on her front doorstep, her sometimes missing and always abusive boyfriend Mick is not pleased. How will this gift change both of their lives forever?

Absorbed is a 16 page short story you do NOT want to read to the kids.
Published October 5th 2011 by Blackbird (first published October 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Absorbed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Absorbed

Life is a Circus Run by a Platypus by Allison HawnHouse of Leaves by Mark Z. DanielewskiCoraline by Neil GaimanA Clockwork Orange by Anthony BurgessAlice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Bizarre books
36th out of 201 books — 236 voters
100 Unfortunate Days by Penelope CroweOnce upon a Road Trip by Angela N. BlountGatsby's Smile by Morana BlueThe Surgeon's Blade by Faith MortimerThe Assassins' Village by Faith Mortimer
Indie Chicks Cafe
14th out of 105 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

aobibliophile™
Change always comes bearing gifts. - Price Pritchett

Violet finds an exquisitely wrapped present left on her doorstep. the giver's identity remains a mystery. unwrapping the gift brings changes to Violet's life and to her relationship with her boyfriend Mike.
author Penelope Crowe's dark short story is a mesmerizing journey into a woman's psyche as she undergoes an eerie transformation.
Violet's tale is as hypnotic as it is chilling. at first, i looked at the mysterious gift as something symbolic o...more
Sandy Wolters
Book: Absorbed
Author: Penelope Crowe
Genre: Psychological Suspense, Psychological Horror, Thriller
Length: 16 Pages
Currently Available: Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Smashwords (all e-reader formats)

Great read for horror fans!

Violet gets a mysterious gift in a beautiful box left on her doorstep. Her on again, off again boyfriend, Mick, is not happy about this. Then again, I couldn't see that anything would really make Mick happy unless it was berating and abusing the one person that loved him, Violet....more
Marcia Carrington
ABSORBED is a short-story thriller about Violet, a woman pushed to the edge by a violent, psychotic boyfriend, and how an elaborate gift she finds on her doorstep one day triggers events in both her life, and that of her boyfriend's, which changes their lives irrevocably.

ABSORBED is a vivid, suspenseful adult story of a toxic personality who manages to maintain an air of sympathy for the reader throughout the course of the story. A story with punch, it is graphic without lingering too much on de...more
Heather Adkins
"Absorbed" is a Poe-esque tale that will get under your skin... Short in length, but not in content, this tale will make your skin crawl, as well as have you rooting for a character you're not so sure you should support. Crowe has crafted another fantastic piece of psychological thrill.
Christina
I have one simple and uneloquent word for this novella - "Wow."

I read this yesterday on the train ride home and was instantly engaged from the first paragraph. The novella starts off simple enough. Violet, a successful New York City woman in her own right, receives quite a regal-looking package on her front door. She's intrigued and starts going through her mental checklist of who it might be from. Her girlfriends? Nah, they're strapped for cash. Her boyfriend? Nah, he's an abusive SOB. Ultimat...more
Jenna Anderson
Short stories can be difficult to write. The author needs to provide the reader with enough info to get them interested and, in the end, make an impact. Tough.

Absorbed is roughly 188 Kindle locations once you subtract the intro and ending bits. I downloaded this one when it was offered as a freebie.

The main character is solid and the creepy necklace concept is such fun. My only complaint is I wish I had a little more build up regarding the men. More subtle abuse - less in your face. It would hav...more
Chamera
Wow. Amazing short story. I rarely give a short story this well a rating but Crowe's story was titillating and slightly chilling. Absorbed told the story of a woman who constantly found herself in abusive relationships, and the chilling change in her personality after mysteriously receiving an old but gorgeous necklace. The amount of thought put into this story and it's plot is phenomenal, especially considering the page length.

I'd recommend this to both teens and adults. The slight chill you ar...more
Susan
Author PENELOPE CROWE is at her best with ABSORBED, in this bizarre short story regarding jewelry, boyfriend issues, and something that lurks in the dark.

Who would have guessed?

I've read CROWE'S other works, such as 100 UNFORTUNATE DAYS, and this author never fails to entertain. I'm also a fan of her blog, As The Crowe Fiies.

I read this fabulous short story, ABSORBED, in about twenty minutes, and actually had to sit on my porch and give the story a good thought, since the ending was so unexpecte...more
D.G. Torrens
This short story had a Hitchcock like feel to it. As a fan of Hitchcock I was totally delighted, there is a subtlety to the darkness of the story that draws you right in and won't let you go. Violet receives an intriguing gift which is left on her doorstep. She has no idea where or who this gift has come from, but it becomes very clear that there is more to the beautiful gift than meets the eye... Not wanting to spoil the story for you, what I will say is this is well worth down loading. It's a...more
Melina Turner
Penelope Crowe has indeed shown ud a ski -crawling piece on a mysterious piece of jewellry and it has worked wonders.
i liked the idea, the characters build-up and the way the story sets.
However, ADVICE TO THE AUTHOR, it would've been interesting if the main character after seeing the photo with her necklace, did a background check on both the woman in the picture and the necklace. might've also made the book a tad longer and she might've found out who the sender and the mysterious artist was.

oth...more
Shelly Hammond
This short story is, in a word, brilliant. From the very first sentence I was hooked. The author really did a great job of not letting you know where the story was going until you needed to, which was excellent. You knew something was going to happen, you just didn't know exactly what or when.
This short story was masterfully done, extremely well written, and one that I would read over and over again. This was the first thing that I read by this author but I'd like to read more after reading this...more
Kevin Hammond
Picked this up and read it right away. this is really very clever and of all the kindle books ive read so far i dont know that any of them have covered this story. i wont give it away here but you really should read this one. it is a short story and it wont take you long but you get a good glimpse at the intelligent writing style of the author. im thinking that once you have read this you will be keeping an eye out for more of her work. i know i will. and that sums up how much i liked this one
Brooklyn Hudson
Absorbed is a fast read that leaves you wanting more. Crowe spins this short tale with a modern-day-Poe-feel. It's captivating and thought provoking; it triggered quite a bit of emotion and internal debate as I fell deeper into the story. I am a fan of Crowe's 100 Days and would encourage readers of Absorbed not to pass up Crowe's other works. Grab this short story and enjoy a new millennium twist on an old classic style page-turner - you won't be able to put it down.
Amy
Mar 04, 2013 Amy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013, kindle
With her short story Absorbed, Crowe has presented an emergence from co-dependence and psychological and physical abuse. The means to this growth can be perceived as supernatural (especially considering the protagonist's actions for ridding herself of the detrimental in her life), but I believe that it is effectively symbolic for finding and incorporating one's inner strength.
Melissa
I wish there was more of this story! A very dark short story about a woman who is drawn to abusive men and receives an amazing gift one day that changes her life. I don't want to say more and give anything away, but if you're looking for a quick read, Absorbed is worth the short time it takes, and perfect for Halloween time as it is a bit creepy and disturbing.
Margaret Radisich
Penelope Crowe has an amazing talent for writing the macabre. I was hooked from the start. The characters were well-developed, and what I thought would be a lovely romantic story from the beginning turned out to be the perfect tale of twisted revenge. I am looking forward to many more stories from this very talented author.
Mandy White
Wonderfully disturbing! A fast and gripping read that I found to be disturbing, creepy and satisfying. As a horror fan, these are all things that I enjoy in a story. It was my first taste of Penelope Crowe's work and I loved it. Looking forward to reading more from this talented writer.
Kristy Carey
I'm not a fan of dark stories. Its just me, I like a 'Happily Ever After' at the end of my stories. But this one intrigued me.

The subtle twists from what seems to be such a wonderful thing, into something much darker and more sinister helps to draw you into the piece and really makes you wonder just who you're supposed to be rooting for.

I enjoyed the link back to something historical, and the gift makes me think of an 'Artifact' from the show Warehouse 13. Looking back, I could almost expect to...more
Erik Gustafson
Chilling tale of a woman scorned one to many times and fate intervenes and sends her spiraling down into the grips of a powerful evil force. A force she is more than happy accept....not someone you would want to date! I really liked this one!!
MsBDiamondDiva1
This was a great short story from the beginning to the very end:-) I am so glad the main character started sticking up for herself; because abusive relationship are so not healthy!!...lol...At least in this case especially for the man-
James Jr.
I found the story to be quite entertaining and gripping. I enjoyed Violet's transformation as the gift she finds begins to assert its influence upon her. Well written and well paced. I am looking forward to checking out Crowe's other work.
Alyssa
I fully enjoyed reading this short story. It contains a dark edge that made me want to read more, even after I was done reading. Crowe does a great job creating skin crawling imagery that keeps you reading from beginning to end.
Deborah
A short dark tale that seems to creep into your skin. An enthralling short story the has a feel of Poe-uniqueness to it. Great story Penelope Crowe.
Taylor
Nice short read! Interesting & dark. Left me wanting more.
Tara
Very unique short story that is definitely worth reading.
Jen
Lanise Brown
I don't usually read horror stories; however, I made an exception when I found Penelope Crowe's Absorbed for free on Amazon. This sixteen page short horror story is dark, grisly, and its plot gives me goosebumps. Absorbed details the transformation of a somewhat timid woman named Violet as she becomes twisted by an unexpected gift.

Violet's gift is a necklace that begins to absorb her life completely. The necklace grafts into her neck, and changes her from being the queen of graphic design to slo...more
Yianna Yiannacou
Lily
A freebie that I picked up on Amazon.com, this was a short story with a 'Twilight Zone' kind of feel.

A mysterious, and exquisitely wrapped package appears on Violet's doorstep. Inside is a gorgeous and unusual necklace. No clue as to who the sender is. The note that came with it was cryptic and of no known meaning to Violet.

But the moment Violet puts the necklace on, something in her changes. Where she was one meek and (I'm sorry to say) somewhat pathetic when it came to her abusive boyfriend M...more
Milena
  • Crime Beat
  • The Indie Eclective: The Halloween Collection
  • Silver Bells
  • My Emily
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard, #2)
  • Hidden
Penelope Crowe was born in Venice on the forth of July, which meant nothing to anyone in Venice.

She was raised by the Queen's illegitimate sister Veronica who taught her how to put on make up and brew a delicious cup of coffee.

She slept at the cafe at night under the front window and wrote sad love songs until she met Jimmy Page and had his intitials tatooed under her finger.

She lived in Spain and...more
More about Penelope Crowe...
100 Unfortunate Days Memories of Mom and Dad Francine & the Super Pet Spy Bunny Dark Moon Presents: Vampires Coffin Hop: Death by Drive-In