Start by marking “How to Knit a Love Song” as Want to Read:
How to Knit a Love Song

How to Knit a Love Song (Cypress Hollow Yarn #1)

3.60  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,150 Ratings  ·  352 Reviews
Abigail is more than ready for a change when she inherits a cottage from her beloved mentor, knitting guru Eliza Carpenter. Leaving the oppressive city for the greener pastures of a small California beach town, she intends to turn her cozy little windfall into a knitting shop and spend her days spinning, designing, and purling. But shes not going to be welcomed with open a ...more
Audio
Published October 1st 2011 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published January 1st 2010)

Scarlet
Feb 01, 2012 Scarlet rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, abandoned
Can you say formulaic? From page 1, I could tell where this book was going. I was hoping for a little more knitting content, but after listening to more than half of the book, I finally gave up.

Where to start? Abigail is an impulsive idiot. Moves up to the cottage on a whim, buys alpacas and adopts a dog on a whim, decides to start a yarn shop on a whim. Most people who are this stupid in real life have to deal with natural consequences, but she just gets to blithely skate through it. As someone
Ann M.
Mar 06, 2010 Ann M. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First things first: Rachael Herron is a romance writer. (Go read this blog post http://www.yarnagogo.com/blog/2008/08... -- I'll wait for you to come back.) A smart, happy, proud romance writer. This is important to know because do romance novels have conventions? Yes, yes, they do. Do you know, more or less, how this is all going to sort itself out? You do. But boy is it a lot of fun getting to the end of the ride.

This is not merely a knitting-themed romance. It's one that's incredibly accurate
marie
Aug 25, 2011 marie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yvonne
Apr 19, 2010 Yvonne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I saw this book at B&N more than once over the last few weeks but wasn’t sure whether to give this new romance writer a try. Let me just say that I am so glad I picked up this book. This is honestly one of the best romance books I’ve read in a very long time. I know absolutely nothing about knitting but that was OK; this sweet romance is for everyone.
There’s the strong, determined heroine looking for a new start (Abigail), the handsome stubborn hero (Cade), interesting secondary characters,
Jennifer Johnson
Zoe
A charming but somewhat simple romance. The characters are basic and understandable, the hero alpha but ultimately humane. This is a nice story for knitters who like romance (the deceased character based on Elizabeth Zimmerman was delighful) and people who like new beginnings.
For a first book, it was pretty well done, but as most of the resolution and conflict was handled by BOTH of the characters internally, there were some missed opportunities. Writing Guru Virginia Kantra says something alon
Jeanne Berry
Jan 01, 2011 Jeanne Berry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: knitters, romance
This was a comfortable, easy-to-read love story with an element of suspense and a high level of intelligence and humor. It's much more sophisticated than what I tend to think of when I think "romance novel".

The main character (Abigail) and love interest (Cade) ring true; they are multi-dimensional and believable. Ms. Herron obviously fell in love with her characters and their stories. As a knitter and horsewoman myself, the fact that the novel centers around a sheep ranching cowboy and a knitwea
Tricia
Nov 08, 2010 Tricia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was awful. Maybe it's just not my genre but I don't know how people read this stuff. BY page 14 the two main characters, who hate each other, are describing one another like so: "That thick, shoulder-length brown hair the color of coffee, those strikingly beautiful blue eyes, that perfect mouth. And her body, all breasts and hips and curves and long legs, in proportions that guys don't usually see in real life. In any other situation , he'd be interested, all right."

UGH.

The story line is o
Natalia
Mar 26, 2013 Natalia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
WOW I should have done my research before starting this book - in audio no less. Romance novel, yes. Smutty love scene with WAY too much detail, yes. DANG! By the title (and the cover) I was not expecting a knitting story to go down the path it went; guess you really can't judge a book by it's cover. I had to stop reading it when he "rescued" her...can we say prince charming on a horse?!? So needless to say I will not be picking up this book again, nor any others like it. I like my novels with a ...more
Manda B
Mar 17, 2010 Manda B rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: knitters, romance fans
Shelves: knitting, own, 2010
So. Freaking. Good! I couldn't put it down! The knitting and spinning elements were very natural in the flow of the story. The suspense kept me hanging on to every last word. Of course, the chemistry between Abigail and Cade was undeniable.

The end seemed a tad rushed to me, but I can honestly say that it may have just been me reading quickly to find out what happens next. That said, this is a must-read for knitting and romance fans combined. I think this is a wonderful debut novel, and I can't w
Sylvia
Mar 04, 2010 Sylvia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even my husband liked this book! The scenes are vivid and engaging, the characters very real, and the suspense adds another dimension to what is predominantly a charming romance. I thoroughly enjoyed the knitting and spinning aspects, but there is way more to the story than textiles. Rachael's portrayal of a small ranching town is spot on. I love the way she works so much interesting detail and splendid humor into the story while maintaining the pace and flow of the plot. I can't wait to read th ...more
Andrea
** 2.5 stars **

How to Knit a Love Song was okay, fine, but I didn't love it, or even enjoy it that much. Abigail was a decent heroine, didn't annoy me as much as other readers. I liked that she was obsessed with yarn and creating beautiful objects with great yarn. She was way impulsive and prone to falling all over the place. Cade, on the other hand....

I could not stand the man. He was rude, judgment, prone to jump to stupid conclusions, and not above using another woman to hurt Abigail. I did
Lala Hulse
Oct 25, 2009 Lala Hulse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hands down the best romance novel I have ever read.
Fate's Lady
Oct 28, 2014 Fate's Lady rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
This novel was escapist, delightful, and especially fun for someone who loves to see those little nods to knitting and spinning, although the author was obviously very careful to keep the detail light to keep from bogging the story down. Excellent balance.

Was it formulaic? Absolutely! Was it predictable, contrived, and maybe even a little simplistic? Yeah, probably. Was it escapist and fluffy? Yup! It never purports to be anything else, and it does what it set out to do: provide a few hours of
Mary
Mar 11, 2010 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm fairly new to knitting so I don't possess the expertise needed to knit much more than a scarf but I love to read about knitting. How To Knit A Love Song is a romance about Abigail Durant, an accomplished knitter, and Cade MacArthur who owns a sheep ranch. She inherits a cottage (from her mentor Eliza) that happens to be in the middle of the sheep ranch run by the handsome Cade (nephew of Eliza). It's the set-up of all set-ups and you can almost hear Eliza laughing as Cade and Abigail begin t ...more
Megan
Nov 10, 2014 Megan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yeahhh, what kind of name is Cade? It was entertaining.. Got kind of ridiculous at the end.

*Spoiler alert*
Exploding tankers and a stalker taken care of with a car crash? Nah.

I think I'm done with the so-called romance genre, even though it was in the fiction section. It's just embarrassing to read, I feel bad for the author sometimes.

The ending was cliche and felt rushed.

I did like the knitting aspect of it as I am a knitter.

Heather Murphy
Jun 07, 2014 Heather Murphy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
rated R for racy. the plot sounded interesting and I probably would have rated it 3 stars (that is a good rating from me) if there weren't sex scenes and swear words. it was hard stop reading cause I wanted to find out what was going to happen. I rationalized that it may be improving my intimacy. but the strong deciding factor was that I would never want to jeopardize the ability for the Holy Spirit to be with me and for me to be able to recognize it's influence. so, although I didn't receive sp ...more
Dina London
Apr 26, 2014 Dina London rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a classic romance novel in the vein of Susan Elizabeth Phillips. Of course it was silly, slightly predictable, and a bit trite, but the writing was great, the characters endearing and it was very true to the genre. Of course, it also contained a knitter's dream life which didn't hurt, and Carrington MacDuffie was the perfect narrator. Looking forward to reading the other books in the series when I need a respite from more serious books.
Janeiowa
Feb 25, 2015 Janeiowa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Knitters will enjoy this story.

This is a wonderful HEA with lots to hold knitters attention. Abigail is a knitter who writes knitting books and patterns she devises. She inherits a cottage and some land on a ranch from the legend in the knitting world, Eliza Carpenter. Cade MacArthur, the sheep rancher who ran Eliza's sheep ranch inherited the rest of the ranch.
Ellen Black
I have read a few of the new knitting genre books, and I've enjoyed the other books that I've read. Not this one. This book was just your typical "love" story, where two people are attracted to each other, but for whatever reason, are really angry at each other, but do the whole dysfunctional dance until they end up in bed together, only to hate each other more, until they realize they really love each other and get married and have a baby! Boring!

Reading "How to Knit a Log Song" was like readin
Sep 21, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I thoroughly enjoyed the first 2/3 of the book. The characters were relatable and like-able. Unfortunately, the ending wasn't on par with the rest of the book. Perhaps I'm just tired of some of general conventions of many romance novels.

Why are the men allowed to be complete jerks? Then, suddenly, they "see the light" and all is well. The women accept them without question.... Does that really happen? Loving someone doesn't excuse their poor behavior. Also, the demise of the "bad guy" didn't sit
harley
Quick, cute read. Love the dog and the alpacas.
Dru
If you like to knit, or not, you will enjoy this book. Great characters all linked to Great Aunt Eliza who has recently passed away and is acting as a match-maker beyond the grave. Great characters, washboard abs and all, even the animals are fun to get to know. Fun read, and great bonus sweater pattern for knitting readers. Good story, except for Clara getting left out of the ending, but check the author's blog for the resolution of that issue. http://www.amazon.com/How-Knit-Love-S...
Sep 11, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014

How To Knit a Love Song was such an amazing read. I loved Abigail and Cade and oh their story is a great one. By the end you just feel so happy and full of love. Amazing.

Oh Abigail and Cade. This is definitely not a love at first sight story. Abigail shows up at Cade's house so full of hope and happy to have a chance to start again. Cade though is not at all happy to have her there, especially when he finds out what is in Eliza's will. Cade thought he would get everything after Eliza pa
Lara
Jul 12, 2014 Lara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
Suffered a bit of mental whiplash from this book. After having just read a number of smart, female-centric stories, returning to the "guy dislikes girl on sight but they're obviously made for each other" trope was a bit of a shocker. Not that there's anything wrong with this standard storyline, but it was weird for me to get back into this rut.

It's an enjoyable read, though at times it felt a little ... pat. The ending also seemed a bit rushed and ... convenient. I dislike when situations just "
Carrie
Apr 11, 2016 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much like Marian Keyes, Jojo Moyes, etc ... you think it's going to be light and fluffy but there's a darkness in there. Plus, author gets bonus points for being a NaNoWriMo participant.
Melinda
Jan 28, 2016 Melinda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: knitting, romance
I love knotting and romance and this novel combines the two. I really enjoyed watching Abigail and Cade get together. The descriptions of knotting and knittery community really made me want to knit something or hang out with my knittery crews more often. I actually started looking at sweater patterns and I'm definitely not a sweater knitter. Abigail was great and determined to achieve her dreams. Cade on the other hand has lots of issues that he refuses to face.

The only thing that I would change
Stefanie
Rachael Herron is so clever. A knitter who creates a book version of Elizabeth Zimmerman and centers character connections around a goddess of knitting for her series? Awesome!

I loved the development of the LYS and okay, as a knitter, all the talk about yarn, etc? Heaven to my eyes and ears + a romance? Fantastic of course.
Conny
May 24, 2015 Conny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, romance
Not a book I would recommend. I was in the mood for something entertaining, but this was just way overboard. The story was über-predictable, as my students would say. It was not only coated in sugar, but there was so much sugar that it was suffocating. Somehow I was hoping it would get better, but no such luck.
Joanna
Aug 30, 2015 Joanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Raczej nie gustuję w takich książkach ale za tą się zabrałam bo potrzebowałam jednorazówki. Rzeczywiście momentami jest zabawna, można się pośmiać, jednak jest spokojna - chyba tak ją mogę określić. Cade na początku mnie denerwował, był strasznym dupkiem, można było postawić się w jego sytuacji i po trosze zrozumieć jego reakcję, ale w dalszej części książki pokazywał kilka razy jeszcze gorsza stronę siebie przeplataną z tą dobrą. Abigail od początku zaklasyfikowała mi się jako "typowa naiwna" c ...more
Madison Mega-Mara...: #70 How to Knit a Love Song 1 2 Jul 31, 2014 09:31AM
  • Knit in Comfort
  • Knitting
  • Casting Spells (Sugar Maple, #1)
  • Casting Off
  • The Sweetgum Knit Lit Society (Sweetgum Knit #1)
  • Needles and Pearls (Jo Mackenzie, #2)
  • While My Pretty One Knits (A Black Sheep Knitting Mystery, #1)
  • Spinning Forward
  • (It's a Purl Thing) (Chicks with Sticks, #1)
  • Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter
  • It Itches: A Stash of Knitting Cartoons
  • Unravelled
  • The Knitter's Companion
  • Knit Fast, Die Young (Knitting Mysteries, #2)
  • Sock Innovation: Knitting Techniques & Patterns for One-Of-A-Kind Socks
  • Toe-Up Socks for Every Body: Adventurous Lace, Cables, and Colorwork from Wendy Knits
  • Sweater Quest: My Year of Knitting Dangerously
  • Yarn: Remembering the Way Home
Rachael Herron is the internationally bestselling author of the Cypress Hollow series (HarperCollins/Random House Australia) and of the memoir, A Life in Stitches (Chronicle). Her newest novel, Pack Up The Moon, will be available in March 2014 from Penguin (USA) and Random House Australia (NZ/AUST). Rachael received her MFA in writing from Mills College and is a 911 fire/medical dispatcher when sh ...more
More about Rachael Herron...

Cypress Hollow Yarn (5 books)
  • How to Knit a Heart Back Home (Cypress Hollow Yarn, #2)
  • Wishes and Stitches (Cypress Hollow Yarn #3)
  • Cora's Heart (A Cypress Hollow Yarn #4)
  • Fiona's Flame (Cypress Hollow Yarn #5)