Start by marking “Gus Was A Friendly Ghost” as Want to Read:
Gus Was A Friendly Ghost

Gus Was A Friendly Ghost (Gus the Ghost)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  275 ratings  ·  23 reviews
There was once a friendly ghost, by the name of Gus, who lived in an old house in the country. Mr. and Mrs. Scott and their twins, Susie and Sammy, lived there too during the summer. Then autumn came and the Scott family left. Which meant Gus had nothing to do but sit around. One day, during a walk, he met Mouse, who was cold and hungry. "Come spend the winter at my house! ...more
Published 1962

To ask other readers questions about Gus Was A Friendly Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gus Was A Friendly Ghost

Emily of New Moon by L.M. MontgomeryGone-Away Lake by Elizabeth EnrightThe Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan AikenBallet Shoes by Noel StreatfeildA Girl of the Limberlost by Gene Stratton-Porter
Forgotten Kids Books of Quality
107th out of 373 books — 139 voters
Little Bear by Else Holmelund MinarikBilly And Blaze by C.W. AndersonKey to the Treasure by Peggy ParishMike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel by Virginia Lee BurtonThe Ghost of Windy Hill by Clyde Robert Bulla
Weekly Reader Books
15th out of 54 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Oct 22, 2010 Kathryn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathryn by: Quasar--thank you
Gus loves the family that stays in his old house during the summers--but he gets lonely when they go away in the fall. He looks for a friend and finds one in an opinionated (and often rather grouchy) mouse. But, kind Gus finds places in the house for the mouse to sleep, and food for it to eat--despite the lady of the house having set out mothballs and newspapers to keep the mice away! They have a wonderful time together until the family comes home--and doesn't like mice! Will Gus find a way keep ...more
midnightfaerie
One of my absolute favorite books as a kid and I have no idea why. You can tell it's a little old school, especially when you're looking at the hair styles of the family that live in the house. But Gus is just so damn endearing even though he's a ghost. Now my kids love it too, especially my 5 yr old. Great addition to any collection.
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
Gus was a Friendly Ghost by Jane Thayer

This is another childhood favorite. I've had my copy since I was 3yo. My daughter continues to love it as well.

This is the story of Gus the Ghost. The homeowners don't believe in ghosts, but joke when they hear a noise, saying it was their ghost. He is sad when they leave for the winter.

He finds a mouse and lets him move in. They keep each other company. But mouse gets mad when the family comes back and Gus has to keep the peace.
Donna
It's a very cute story about a ghost who loves his family, who only lives there in the summer. He lets a mouse live there for the winter, but finally sets the mouse straight on his behavior when he tries to scare the family away.

I got this book from my grandmother when I was a teenager. It's one of the few things she gave me that was my dad's when he was little and it's nice to have a couple old books. It is not going to be a book in my classroom collection, when I teach since it is old and I d
Miri
Gus lives in a house with a family that doesn't believe in ghosts, he's happy there when the family is staying, but when they leave he's so lonely, so while the family is away he invites mouse to stay, but when the family comes home early, mouse is determined to scare them away. What's Gus to do?
Ray
I read this a long time ago in school. It was my favorite, can't remember why exactly but I do remember reading it several times and carrying it around. Recently I read a book to my daughter and this book fell from my subconscious... funny how the mind works.
Dawn Michelle

THIS was one of my favorite books when I was a kid. I LOVED it. And I read it, even as a teen until I lost the book. :-( A friend just bought it and posted about it and made me think of this book all over again. A really great children's book!!!
Asho
This was my mother's book when she was a child, and then it was mine, and now it belongs to my son. And, funnily enough, my husband had saved another Gus book (Gus and the Baby Ghost) from his childhood, so now my son has two Gus books.
The Gus books hold up well. The people in the illustrations look very 1960s, but that's charming, and the tale is timeless. This is is a good story about how to handle conflict when you have two good friends who don't get along with each other. Personally, I've a
Debbie Jo
Gus Was a Friendly Ghost was a favorite of mine growing up. Gus is ever so nice - he never scares the Scott family & he takes in Mouse. It takes him some time to finally set some rules for Mouse and things go back to normal in the Scott house. I really live Seymour Fleishman's style especially the endpapers and the cutaway of the house. I never knew anyone who had another house they lived in for the summer and used to wonder about that. Will find more Gus books to read. Another favorite were ...more
Jaime Contreras
This reminded me of Casper and my youth. It was heartwarming to read this story of a lonely ghost who just wants friends. it is a charmer of a book.
Cana
Mommy says: Both kids loved this book about a friendly ghost who lives in a kind family's summer home. Gus takes in a mouse for company during the lonely off season, but what happens when the family returns and the domestic routines are upset?

My kids (3yo & 5yo) enjoyed speculating about having a friendly ghost in our own house. In fact, they requested one for several days. Maybe Mom & Dad will engineer a visitor at Halloween ...

Overall, this old tale really captivated the kids' imagina
Julie
Another all-time fav! I love the illustrations - one that sticks out in my mind is of Gus eating biscuits with the mouse. For some reason I was always fascinated by those little biscuits...
Glenda
An endearing tale that gets kids chuckeling and eager to share the humor w/ grandma. I enjoyed hearing my granddaughter's laughter when she read this book to me.
Marian
As a kid, I loved this book like crazy. I'm pretty sure that if given long enough between 'new' books, my parents would find me re-reading this one over and over.
Cory B
Read that today. Thinking about when i was younger. This has been a strange day. But good book!
Maria
We read this book to my daughter every night!

.........on account of mice of course.
Kristi Bumpus
Another of my childhood favorites I am still thrilled to share with my Bunny.
Pepper
Love this one from my childhood & I re-read it every once in a while.
Stephanie Marshall
Oct 03, 2012 Stephanie Marshall rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Children
Good for children..fun Halloween reading.
Hannah capps
about a ghost that was friendly!!!!
Lori
One of the best kids books
Naberius
Vicki Bridgewater Sheehy
Vicki Bridgewater Sheehy marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2015
Jessica Kristen
Jessica Kristen marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
  • How Fletcher Was Hatched
  • Be Nice to Spiders
  • The House on East 88th Street
  • My Teacher Sleeps in School
  • Georgie (Georgie The Ghost, #1)
  • The Witch Next Door
  • Dem Bones
  • Miss Smith and the Haunted Library
  • Arthur's Honey Bear
Obituary from: Boston Globe, July 27, 2005

With the 87 children's books she wrote, Catherine Woolley delighted generations of young readers around the world with stories of children, animals, a friendly ghost, and mysterious happenings.

She was so prolific that her publisher told her to use a nom de plume for some books. She chose Jane Thayer, her grandmother'
More about Jane Thayer...

Gus the Ghost (8 books)
  • What's a Ghost Going to Do?
  • Gus Was A Christmas Ghost
  • Gus And The Baby Ghost
  • Gus was a Mexican Ghost
  • Gus Was A Gorgeous Ghost
  • Gus Was a Real Dumb Ghost
  • Gus Loved His Happy Home
The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy (Reading Rainbow Book) Gus And The Baby Ghost The Popcorn Dragon The Blueberry Pie Elf Part -Time Dog