Unacceptable Risk

Unacceptable Risk

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  25 reviews
"She may learn to live for love if vengeance doesn t kill her first. "

Plix spends her lonely, gritty life trying to solve the mysteries her father left behind. Armed with a variety of cybernetic enhancements and a talent for getting into places she shouldn t be, she searches for clues to his murder and who s responsible for poisoning her city.

Waking up on a street corner w...more
Unknown Binding, 113 pages
Published December 1st 2011 by Samhain Publishing

Jeanne
Jan 03, 2012 Jeanne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci fi and romance fans
Unacceptable Risk opens with a kind of electronic poetry that is reminiscent of William Gibson's Neuromancer. I do not make that comparison lightly. Jeanette Grey grounds this story in a tangible dystopian future world where every aspect of life, even people's bodies, are saturated with technology. Unlike a lot of other sci fi writers Grey allows the reader to experience this futuristic world and new human experience without bogging us down with buckets loads of exposition. Instead she skillful...more
AnnaLund
May 14, 2013 AnnaLund rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci-fi, romance, strong women
No spoilers here.
I loved this dark story, with its gritty world and hardcore woman MC. It took only a few pages for me to completely give in to whatever the author handed me—the voice rang so true, so fast, I bought all the tech and all the world-building at face value, as is, at once. That is quite a feat.

To FINALLY read of a strong woman lead character is for me truly a form of catharsis, to say the least. I love how she had a job to do, but was still woman all the way, without ever falling i...more
GraceSweetSpotBookBlog
Intriguing Sci-Fi Romance

In a technologically-advanced, futuristic world where humans can get cybernetic enhancements done to their bodies, Plix is a woman on a mission! Every time she gets injured or damaged while pursuing her mission, she turns to the only person who she trusts to put her back together, Edison. He is also the man she refuses to open her heart to, that is until she pushes herself beyond extreme limits and can no longer deny her feelings for him.

As a science geek who is not too...more
Susi
The first time I saw this cover I was already intrigued- then I read the blurb and I was sold. I have a soft spot for science fiction romance and I couldn’t wait to dive into this world. In Unaccepteable Risk we meet Plix a mysterious woman living a world rather different from ours. In her world humans are able to enhance not only their body but also their mind. There are ways to become stronger, faster or to turn yourself into a living and breathing surveillance system- the latter is what Plix...more
Traci
Is it enough of a review to say that I would like to read more of this? Is that enough of a recommendation for you? I would be happy if we got, say, 3-4 more books, perhaps prequels? I would love to hear more about Plix's implants: the way the technology is seamlessly worked into the characters is fascinating. (also I now want an ocular implant. yes.) Shades of Gibson and Stephenson, but with, frankly, a more interesting story. (sorry guys.)

I find myself a SuperFanGirl of Jeanette Grey. I hope I...more
Secretly Reading
Damn fine novella! This sci-fi story has a kick-ass heroine with a tender hero. Sure the sexuality is PG-13 but the plot is so tight and the heroine so compelling it didn't need to be x-rated to hold my attention. In fact, I could see this as movie. Well done!
Carolyn (Book Chick City)
Reviewed by Laura for www.BookChickCity.com - 7/10 on the blog.

Plix is a woman whose has dedicated her whole life to seeking vengeance, determined to get to the bottom of her father's death. She's had her body upgraded with computer components to enable her to be the best she can be.

Pippa Jay
The Good:
This is a sad but sweet story, with a dark, gritty edge, that made my heart ache for the two central characters. Plix isn't the usual kick-ass heroine - she's quietly but irrepressibly determined, tolerating huge amounts of pain and grief to fulfil a goal, denying herself anything remotely like a normal life. Edison is geeky but strong, and while Plix's blind stubborness drives him to despair, he still does his best to help her even as it carves out his heart every time. Their struggle...more
Laura Summers
Reviewed for www.bookchickcity.com

Waking up battered in a gutter, she has no memory of how she got there, and she seeks the one person she know can help her - Edison. Edison is a tuner, who specialises in 'tuning' human computer upgrades. He's been patching Plix up for years, bu...more
Ellie
Unacceptable Risk by Jeanette Grey
Grade: C+

“Maybe it was the feeling that, even though she couldn’t remember how, she’d won and lost, all at once. But still somehow.... someway.... she didn’t feel like she could lose anymore.”

Plix, aka Alice Doyle, has devoted her entire life to finishing her late father’s research and taking down the man and company they believe are responsible for her mother’s death. Plix is so determined to take down Lucien Vicker and his company SynDate that she has gone so...more
Nicole
Review originally posted here; http://thebookpushers.com/2012/02/17/...

Publisher: Samhain
Publish Date: Out Now!
How I got this book: eARC from author

I’ve long been a fan of science fiction romance, and with the arrival of more cyberpunk stories from Samhain, I was excited to get the chance to read new and interesting worlds that were so different from the ones I already loved.

Plix has one goal in life: continue in her father’s footsteps and find a way to bring down the company SynDate – the ones...more
Marlene
Unacceptable Risk by Jeanette Grey is a terrific read. It's gritty, dark and almost has an urban fantasy feel to it in some ways, because there's a mystery to be solved. But it's not urban fantasy. Oh no. This is science fiction romance. Oh yes. A little cyberpunk, a little post-apocalypse, and absolutely, positively SFR.

Plix returns to consciousness the way she always does, battered, bruised and broken in an alley, surrounded by the scents of her own blood and burnt circuitry, half-blind with p...more
Kerry  sullivan
Wow this little book was an intense ride that kept me reading way past my bedtime. I could not put it down, it was complex with out being to confusing and was thrilling to the last. The story is told from Plix's point of view and it workes really well. The world painted by the author is vivid but dark but still very believable, I could see Plix's world and felt her pain. Even thou this is a novella there is plenty of depth to the character and i have to admit I there was something very likeable...more
MsKathy
I was totally blown away by Unacceptable Risk.

"So now you know" was the only line I marked, although it wasn't the only line I loved. It was the line that made me turn my ereader off and quietly sob -- in the middle of a flight.

This book is great if you're a geek, but even if you're not, the techno aspects were easily accessible and understandable.

The pacing and tension were built to perfection, and my love for Plix and Edison cannot be over-stated. The two characters are the focus of the book...more
Kimberley Ball
I initially got this book not really knowing what it was going to be about. As I started reading I realized it was a little more techno that I would normally read. I kept coming back to it though because of the strong characters that Jeanette created in Plix and Edison. I loved seeing their relationship blossom on the page and am left wanting more... Something tells me that Plix is not the type to just walk quietly into the sunset and I am sure that she would find more causes to get behind. Only...more
Guilty Pleasures
I love Sci-fi and I love romance, so Jeanette Grey’s Unacceptable Risk is a book I looked forward to reading, and I was not disappointed at all. Plix is a young woman who has had a number of cyborg type enhancements made to her body. Everytime she is injured, and it happens a lot, a new augmentation is installed, sometimes surgically, sometimes chemically.

To read Cameron's entire review please visit
PepperP0t (ireadthatbook.com)
I accept this dangerous assignment

This short futuristic sci-fi novella is the perfect mind mint. We get just enough story as we meet Plix in a very compromising position as she is evaluating her exact position and condition. Delving farther into it you find a spin on the normal romantic entanglement with Edison as Plix unravels a startling government cover-up.

I wished there was more but I did like what I got here.
Steph
The one thing I would say against this book: it was too short! It seemed like she was forever being fixed up which is all well and good as Edison was awesome too but it seemed like really there wasn't much story going on, it all seemed to just end. I enjoyed it while it lasted though!
Kate Sherwood
I liked this.

I admit I skimmed some of the computer/tech stuff - so I'm not sure if it didn't really make sense just because I wasn't reading all of it or whether it was actually a bit sketchy. But, whatever, the story was still good without it!
Stacy

I really enjoyed this story. Though short, it gave an interesting taste of a future in which people are augmented by technology and can immerse themselves in it, and the potential of using it for good.
Mrs Condit & Friends Read Books
I enjoyed this book and recommend it to fans of science fiction, space romance, and a story of attraction between two people who have to overcome roadblocks to their HEA.
Jamie
I love Jeanette's writing! It has everything,passion, mystery, suspense, love, family, just amazing! I did wish it was longer though...maybe there will be more to come.
Angela
Wonderful story, but I wish it was more fleshed out. The sparsity fit with the setting, though.
Jill
I wanna be this bad ass someday. Yes I really do.
Racheal
Racheal marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
LiteraryLover
LiteraryLover marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Intricacy Alterite
Intricacy Alterite marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Romance Blogger E...: ebook giveaway of science fiction romance 1 6 Dec 18, 2011 04:38PM
Take What You Want Heart and Soul Letting Go When It's Right A Gift of Trust