The Awakened Mage

The Awakened Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker #2)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  8,847 ratings  ·  310 reviews
"The evil foretold has risen ... and we are all that stands between it and the end."

Asher has come a long way for a fisherman's son. Together with his friend Prince Gar, he has defended their kingdom against its bitterest enemy, but at great cost.

Now, the evil mage Morg is preparing for his most deadly assault. Desperate, trapped in a broken body, Morg has little time and...more
Published December 1st 2011 by Orbit (first published December 14th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Awakened Mage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Awakened Mage

Mark
My review of Book 1 admired the story-telling and the page turning nature of its narrative, though was slightly disappointed by the (admittedly comforting) safeness of its tale. The (erm) cliffhanging ending, however, left me interested in the tale’s outcome, so I was not too upset at taking on the slightly larger second volume.

However because of the book’s nature, following on from Volume 1, there are points that I’m going to have to develop.

MINOR SPOILERS FOLLOW.

The second volume starts just b...more
Blodeuedd Finland
First, this is book 2 of course there are gonna be spoilers from book 1, duh.

Book 1 ended with a bang, for a book that is pretty light then that was sure an evil ending. She killed almost the entire royal family, only prince Gar was left standing. Yes evil indeed. So that is where the book starts. What on earth will happen now? Prince Gar recently found his magic. But can he keep the weather in check? Can he keep his keep stupid Lord Jarralt away from the throne? Can Ashe be safe as others arou...more
Mike (the Paladin)
I finished this a couple of days ago and am just now sitting down to review it. I was greatly taken with and even somewhat surprised by the first book in this duology. From the synopsis I thought it would not be the "type" book I generally like. In some ways it wasn't/isn't but it's written (in my opinion) exceptionally well. I was drawn in and wanted to follow the story.

Here I have a slight caveat about the second book. It's still well written, it's still a good story and I still give it 4 star...more
Nikki
I give up I give up.

I was still willing, at the end of The Innocent Mage, to see this through. I love Gar. I kind of loved some of the more minor characters too (Matt, who seemed about the only person with sense sometimes; Darran, because he's not always nice but he's so loyal to Gar). But god I can't stand Asher anymore, I don't care about Dathne, and if Morg launched into the greatest hits of EvilMcEvilPerson laughs, I wouldn't be surprised. And the pacing, aaarghhh. And I started being able t...more
Paxnirvana
*already feeling the need to gnaw own leg off*

...this isn't getting any better is it? *sigh*
Dollfaise
The Innocent Mage wasn't a bad read but a vast majority of it was filler. It was a nice way to introduce the cast but it drug on for a rather long time before actually getting to the "meat" of the book. The Awakened Mage feels the same way. It drags on for so long, in fact, that over halfway through the book I began to wonder if there would be a third installment simply because I couldn't imagine this book wrapping up in time. I was shocked when I realized that this is, indeed, the end of this p...more
Aaron Negoba
While an improvement from the first half of the story, this book is still not that rewarding. The buddy relationship between the main characters is first strained and then torn apart for most of the book. The Mage finally gets his magic (how can you go through an entire book titled "The Innocent Mage" without the character in question ever using magic or even knowing he can?), but loses his humor. Asher's humor and friendship to the common people gets stripped away while his surliness and pride...more
Tora
When I finished the previous book, The Innocent Mage, I had enjoyed it enough to eagerly seek out this one. But by the end of this book, I no longer cared about the characters or what happened to them or their country, and finished it only because I hate leaving books unfinished and as I was listening to the audio version, I was able to do productive things like cook and wash dishes while I finished, so it didn't feel like a complete waste of time.

The protagonist has come into his power, and spe...more
Dawn
This progressed a little slowly for me.. Maybe that had a little to do with the fact that I read half of it, then went on vacation and didn't pick it back up for over a week, and am just now finishing it... But I don't think that was all of it. Book one ended in a huge cliffhanger, and I expected book two to be a nonstop fast paced progression to the conclusion. Instead, not much happened until the last few chapters, the rest was just set up for the final battle. People going here and there, tal...more
Dan
It would have gotten two stars like the first book of the series, but honestly, the ending aggrivated and frustrated me like few books have ever done. The ending to this book feels like Miller was at the publisher's deadline, and just needed to submit something. There are loose ends that don't get resolved, the big finale was stale and just ends almost abrubtly. The worst possible event that comes to pass, has almost no effect. It was just a terrible, terrible ending. I don't think I've ever rea...more
Liviu
The final book of the duology is much weaker than the debut degenerating into run of the mill "big bad lord" taking over, almost winning, but tripped at the last moment by the hero saved by his loyal friends and the villain's blind spots...

Still a page turner so 2 stars for what is a very mediocre finish to the series that started so well in Innocent Mage.
Melanie
I read the first part of this series pretty much exactly three years ago and have only just now got around to reading this. Not because I didn't have it - I received them as a present as a set - but because I just plain couldn't bring myself to do it. I'd already pushed through 500 pages of nothingness and I wasn't looking forward to another 600 pages of the same. But, it was a present so I had to, right?

And I've got to say, I enjoyed this one a lot more than its predecessor. Because stuff final...more
Glitterfairy
Oct 11, 2008 Glitterfairy rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No-one
Shelves: fantasy
Apr 14, 2009 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYBODY! :D
it is AWESOME!!! i could not put it down!!!! from the begining to end, its fast and keeps u wanting more. i cant even explain how sucked into this u get. i almost killed myself when i had 2 put it down for homework. uhhh, i dont wanna give any spoilers but its really hard!! the prophecy truly begins here, asher gets an unpleasant surprise. Gar gets disapointed, uses Asher and causes him to get arrested and ready to get beheaded. morg is just as evil as ever, causes more pain then ever and manipu...more
Sharon
Lucas
What a turn about from the first book. After the first 200 pages, this book was utter drivel. The characters totally fell apart and constantly acted in ways that I disagreed with. I'm not usually one for spotting inconsistencies in books, but this one was littered with them. In one scene the characters can't leave on a journey at night for fear of attracting attention with their lights. They leave following morning only to travel throughout the day and then light torches. gah. In another scene i...more
Amery Xu
After reading "The Innocent Mage" and finding it to be a superb book, I was excited to read "The Awakened Mage". Although still a good book in its own right, the book proved to be somewhat disappointing. The book's pace was much slower. The event with Glospottle was never mentioned clearly or elaborated yet it is always there, lurking. It later ends up being an important moment for Asher and even a pivotal point in the land's history. It is likewise that similar events are never given any real l...more
Katrina Ly
i honestly don't know what to say...

the ending was so unexpected, so abrupt, so...sad. i mean, don't get me wrong! the storytelling, the way the book was written, the development of the characters was superb that there's nowt i can fault it with! but still, i really really wished this story had ended differently.

anyways, thats just my opinion.

p.s. even though i didn't like how the story ended, i guess it was a realistic ending. i mean, you can't have war without true, terrible, heart-wrenching...more
Shaney Kelly
Book spoilers.

I read the Awakened Mage straight after the Innocent Mage, where the book carried on straight where the first one finished.
I thoroughly enjoyed the book, although the pace of the book seemed odd to me, after such a finale in the first book, but continuing the 'domestic' pace in the second until part four. I didn't feel the urgency that I feel should have been there (for example, when Gar finds his family dead, his magic diminishes etc). However, I did enjoy that slow political pa...more
Gareth Otton
The thing about a story that is as slowly told as this, is that it serves to build a lot of tension. The glacial pace of this book and it's predecessor just managed to ratchet that tension up to impossible highs and whilst that's a good thing in some ways, it also means that there needs to be a climax that is worthy enough of that ratcheting tension in order to let it all out.

Sadly that isn't what happened here.

After reading the Innocent Mage I was very aware of how slowly the story was progre...more
Laurel Narizny
Joshua Romero
Tyrel Smith
It was written decently and is an easy read.

I just got tired of the endless pages of whining, regretting choices, being afraid to make them, hating others for their choices and being angry with your own. etc etc etc. way too long and full of drivel. When the plot was interesting it was good and made you want to read more but I got fed up and drudged on reading it til the end just because I didn't want to leave it finish.
Latharia
This book came to a crashing end in the last 4 pages of the book. A bit too rushed for my tastes & too "pat" of an ending. Not that I am one for drawn out melodrama, but it left me feeling rather empty. Some people died, some did not ... but I didn't feel like it was with much ceremony or meaning! There were many loose ends that I feel could've been dealt with better, but I liked the story overall, so I give it 3 stars.
Ben Babcock
I’ve mentioned, once in a while, how David Eddings’ Belgariad was my gateway into fantasy. I read Papa Tolkien first, but it was the impressive heft of the first three Belgariad books in a single omnibus that ignited my Grade 7 mind with a thirst for more tales of wizards and magic and intrigue. I soon after started reading A Song of Ice and Fire. (I developed some nice upper body strength from lifting those tomes.)

The thing is, it’s marvellous that fantasy like Eddings’ books exists, because it...more
Becca R.G.
Erik and Beth are no longer allowed to lend me books except over break. I was up until 1am with this one, and would have stayed up another hour to finish it if I didn't know I needed to pack this morning. Very dark, but wonderfully so. I also like that it doesn't shrink away from the sacrifices the characters make, but doesn't well in sorrow too much (well, sometimes).
Katie
A fun read but a little anti-climactic. The beginning of the book dragged on a bit, the first one ended with such tension, all the conflict seemed set up and you were ready for the other shoe to drop and then you had to wait far too long for crap to hit the fan. Kind of predictable once the scene was set but I didn't mind that aspect so much.
Joy
Since I have it checked out on my weekly library run I might as well finish the story. Half of these two books, which make up the story, could have been edited out and made into one stand along decent novel.

Ending weak after all that build-up. Evil too easily defeated, with a too easy spell.
Erin Boyington
With his entire family dead, magic-less Prince Gar must assume his role as weather worker of Lur, unaware of the coming storm and the man destined to stop it: his best friend, the lowly fisherman Asher.

Three words from this fan of epic fantasy: too damn slow. The mourning for the dead king, queen, and bratty Princess Fayne takes up a full third of the story, contraposed with the evil magician Morg's struggle for life inside of a broken body.

More interestingly, there is also a growing romance bet...more
Tessa Dior
A great follow-up, though a tad dissapointing. I didn't think romance woud make it's way into the Kingmaker Kingbreaker series but I was wrong! It was a pleasent surprise though. If you loved the first one like I did, then you'll like this sequal.
Goodreads Librari...: Num pages and other info 2 18 Apr 03, 2013 07:11PM
  • Stormlord Rising (Watergivers, #2)
  • Dark Lady's Chosen (Chronicles of the Necromancer, #4)
  • Wizard Squared (Rogue Agent, #3)
  • Voice of the Gods (Age of the Five, #3)
  • Traitors' Gate (Crossroads, #3)
  • The Uncrowned King (King Rolen's Kin, #2)
  • Beyond the Shadows (Night Angel, #3)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. Please see this thread for more details.

Also writes as "K.E. Mills"

Lord, do you really want to know?

Oh, all right.

I was born in Vancouver, Canada, and came to Australia with my parents when I was 2. I think. Dad’s an Aussie, Mum’s English, go figure. Talk about Fate and Destiny. But three passports come in hand...more
More about Karen Miller...
The Innocent Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #1) Empress (Godspeaker Trilogy #1) The Reluctant Mage (The Fisherman's Children, #2) The Prodigal Mage (The Fisherman's Children, #1) Hammer of God (Godspeaker Trilogy, #3)