Start by marking “The Ghost Sitter” as Want to Read:
The Ghost Sitter

The Ghost Sitter

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  328 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Charlotte is looking forward to spending the summer in her new home-she has her own bedroom, a nearby pool, a friendly neighbor, and there's a big block party coming up. Then her little brother suddenly starts asking for his new friend, "Susie." Is someone else playing with him? Someone only he can see? Soon Charlotte realizes that her all-too-normal house is haunted-by th ...more
Published September 16th 2002 by Puffin (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost Sitter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghost Sitter

Jade
This book was AWESOME!!! I absolutly loved it!!! It heled me obsorbed the whole time I was reading it!!! It gives you a sort of understanding, and you always have some very strong emotion, not matter what emotion it is. I love this book. It is one of the best books that I have ever read!!! You need to read it!!!
Debrarian
Teresa
What makes this different from the usual ghost story is the attitude of the characters, and the focus on the GHOST's experience of being ghostly. The main LIVING character, Charlotte, doesn't really want to be involved, but she feels sorry for Susie, the ghost who has been haunting Charlotte's new home for the last 50 years, and tries to help her accept that she's dead. Susie doesn't understand why everyone ignores her and where her famiy has gone. She plays with (in effect babysits) the various ...more
Mirrani
As a collector of books who have won awards or nominations, I was excited to find an Edgar Allan Poe Finalist among the books on clearance at a local bookstore's closing sale. I picked it up without hesitation and without otherwise looking through it. When I got home and read the back I began to worry. "What if you were a ghost - and didn't know it? - Charlotte is looking forward to a great summer in her new home, even though she has to take care of her little brother, Brandon. She has her own b ...more
Samantha O
I just finished reading Ghost Sitter. It was a great book. Out of 10, I would probably give it a 9. I gave it a nine because in the beginning I was a little lost, I mean they were throwing you all these characters to you in one time which was a little bit difficult to understand. This is a story about a girl named Susie who has had a terrible accident, and she is haunting the house. Little kids can see her, and she babysit babies. She has to focus, in order for children to see and hear her. My f ...more
Rachel Brokaw
I do not remember a bunch about this book, but I feel like it was one of the more emotional children's books that I read. It was a book for more entertainment purposes, but it could still be a great book to recommend a student read. I chose this book because it was more vintage/historically related and if that's a genre that a student enjoys it would be a great book for them to try out.
I picked this book up on a whim in the school library. I was in the mood for a ghost.

This book surpassed my expectations. It wasn't a scary ghost story. Instead it's a touching tale of promises, death, and love. It's reassuring about death, a topic difficult to understand.

I truly loved this story. I need to check out other books by this author.
Andrea
This was a well-crafted story about love and loyalty. It also goes into the sprit world and paranormal area in an appropriate way for 8-12 year olds. My only issues - if any - which is not the fault of the author - is that it is a bit dated. Also, there is a bit of convenient events or actions which I found difficult to believe, but considering its juv fiction - it really was acceptable even on that part. On the up sided it is a well written story using a ghost as a creative vehicle for growth a ...more
Dancingchickens
This book was awesome! I loved the ending where the ghost reunited with her sister that she hadn't seen for 50 years
Amy516
this book is about this girl who moves into a new house, but she starts hearing and seeing strange things, it turnes out to be a ten year old girl ghost! Overall this book was okay, i would of liked it better if it was more advanced and longer because i read it in one day. Peni R. Griffin is a good author, one because this book is in one of my favorite gere, two she made this book for both little kids and older kids like me (even if i prefer more advanced books) the books charecters also each ha ...more
Megan
I forgot how much I loved reading about Susie. I remembered most of the story once I was reading it. This one definitely takes me back to my childhood because I loved reading ghost stories like this one. I'm glad I decided to read it again real quick. It's a good quick read, especially when you need it to start a challenge you've joined lol. I hope that Susie's story lives on with other children. It's a good one.
Skye
this book was entertaining. It is about a girl who died from a firecracker explosion on one fourth of july and her little sister can see her as a ghost and she tells her never to leeave. so the ghost stays and she meets a girl who moves into her house and she resolves the unfinished buisness the ghost had while helping the girl with her baby brother, hence the name "the ghost sitter"
Leisly
I think it is a wonderful book to read. It teaches you to appreciate the people that you have now because when you lose them, you lose them forever.It is about a girl named Susie that died at age 12 and 50 years had pasted and she has not moved out of the blue house.Until a new family comes to live there. A secret will be discovered....
Makenzie
This book is short but a really good read. If you ever are looking for a short book to read, this is the one. It is about a girls who moves into a house and finds out it is haunted by a girl who doesnt even know she is dea. It sort of sounds scary but it is not scary at all. Great book for kids.
Saeeun Ahn
Ten year old Susie has waited for her parents and sister to come back. Each new family who moves into her home seems not to notice her, except for the young children. Susit loves children and she even likes baby sitting. Charlotte is having a great summer. Someone seems to baby sit her brother.
Brenda
A great, but not too scary, ghost story for kids. I give it a 3.5, but I'm sure my students would give it a 4 or 5!
Ross Bussell
The Ghost Sitter is a good book for kids to read. It's not that difficult, but has a neat story that is shrouded in mystery, plus, everybody loves a good ghost story. This isn't a classic, but it is a good kid's book.
Jesse Sattler
This book was very well thought out and suspenseful. After Charlotte saw her grandma float and go through a wall; she knew that she was in for a crazy summer. Also, it's a good book for people who like mystery.
Bloodstream
I love this book it is really good. I got it at a used book store and expected it to be bad but it turns out it is a really good book. If you have not read this book you should.
Carolyn Ferguson
This book was good but I also felt that is was slightly predictable and I struggled keeping my attention on it. I would still try to read it again in the future.
Barb
Sweet non-scary ghost story about a ghost who takes care of the children who live in her house, until one finally discovers why the ghost child is still there.
Milton Cubicle
shocking book about a woman who has a fetish for raping ghosts. she's a sick and twisted quadroplegic bitch! and she's out to get some ectoplasm....
Melanie
This book was OK. Interesting premise, but I just never felt connected to any of the characters and the plot semeed far fetched to me.
Theadora
So sad:/ At some point I was a tad confused, but in the end it was settled. Really good for teaching children that fireworks are dangerous.
Matt
Jun 25, 2012 Matt added it
Teacher read this too us in 4th grade. I remember liking it for some reason, it's been bugging my conscience of late, so I looked it up.
Emma
Jul 16, 2008 Emma rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like paranormal mysteries :-)
Recommended to Emma by: I think my library teacher did...
This was a good ghost story. I kinda got bored in some parts but I loved the plot and everything. Nice job Peni Griffin.
Elizabeth
Pretty good read, good children's read, not too scary. However, not one you'll pick up and read a lot over and over.
Aundrea O'Connor
I read this when I was younger and found it difficult to put down. Will read it soon again :)
Jenna
This was a cool read when i was younger. It had just the right amount of mystery in it.
Heather
2004 William Allen White award winner. Rating courtesy of 8-year-old me.
  • The Quest of the Warrior Sheep (The Warrior Sheep, #1)
  • The Black Paw
  • Free Baseball
  • Seven Strange and Ghostly Tales
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Ghosts: Tales to Haunt You
  • The Old Willis Place
  • My Rotten Life (Nathan Abercrombie, Accidental Zombie, #1)
  • Jade Green
  • Popular Clone: The Clone Chronicles #1
  • Earthquake Terror
  • Gallows Hill
  • The Ghost and Mrs. Hobbs
  • I, Amber Brown (Amber Brown, #8)
  • Ask the Bones: Scary Stories from Around the World
  • The Boy Who Saved Baseball (Cruz de la Cruz, #2)
  • A Bundle of Trouble: A Rebecca Mystery
  • Wenny Has Wings
  • Return to Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #5)
11,000 Years Lost Switching Well Treasure Bird A Dig in Time The Music Thief