Start by marking “The Ghost Sitter” as Want to Read:
The Ghost Sitter

The Ghost Sitter

Charlotte is looking forward to spending the summer in her new home-she has her own bedroom, a nearby pool, a friendly neighbor, and there's a big block party coming up. Then her little brother suddenly starts asking for his new friend, "Susie." Is someone else playing with him? Someone only he can see? Soon Charlotte realizes that her all-too-normal house is haunted-by th ...more
Published September 16th 2002 by Puffin (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost Sitter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghost Sitter

Teresa
Sep 05, 2016 Teresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, scary
What makes this different from the usual ghost story is the attitude of the characters, and the focus on the GHOST's experience of being ghostly. The main LIVING character, Charlotte, doesn't really want to be involved, but she feels sorry for Susie, the ghost who has been haunting Charlotte's new home for the last 50 years, and tries to help her accept that she's dead. Susie doesn't understand why everyone ignores her and where her family has gone. She plays with (in effect babysits) the variou ...more
Jade
Jun 02, 2008 Jade rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was AWESOME!!! I absolutly loved it!!! It heled me obsorbed the whole time I was reading it!!! It gives you a sort of understanding, and you always have some very strong emotion, not matter what emotion it is. I love this book. It is one of the best books that I have ever read!!! You need to read it!!!
Debrarian
Apr 23, 2009 Debrarian rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-fic
Kayla
Apr 13, 2015 Kayla rated it it was amazing
I read this a LONG time ago in school and remember it as one of my favorite books growing up--even though it did really freak me out!
Mirrani
Apr 22, 2012 Mirrani rated it really liked it
As a collector of books who have won awards or nominations, I was excited to find an Edgar Allan Poe Finalist among the books on clearance at a local bookstore's closing sale. I picked it up without hesitation and without otherwise looking through it. When I got home and read the back I began to worry. "What if you were a ghost - and didn't know it? - Charlotte is looking forward to a great summer in her new home, even though she has to take care of her little brother, Brandon. She has her own b ...more
Samantha O
May 03, 2011 Samantha O rated it really liked it
I just finished reading Ghost Sitter. It was a great book. Out of 10, I would probably give it a 9. I gave it a nine because in the beginning I was a little lost, I mean they were throwing you all these characters to you in one time which was a little bit difficult to understand. This is a story about a girl named Susie who has had a terrible accident, and she is haunting the house. Little kids can see her, and she babysit babies. She has to focus, in order for children to see and hear her. My f ...more
Andrea
Mar 06, 2011 Andrea rated it liked it
Shelves: mg-fiction, 2011
This was a well-crafted story about love and loyalty. It also goes into the sprit world and paranormal area in an appropriate way for 8-12 year olds. My only issues - if any - which is not the fault of the author - is that it is a bit dated. Also, there is a bit of convenient events or actions which I found difficult to believe, but considering its juv fiction - it really was acceptable even on that part. On the up sided it is a well written story using a ghost as a creative vehicle for growth a ...more
Amy516
Dec 11, 2008 Amy516 rated it it was ok
this book is about this girl who moves into a new house, but she starts hearing and seeing strange things, it turnes out to be a ten year old girl ghost! Overall this book was okay, i would of liked it better if it was more advanced and longer because i read it in one day. Peni R. Griffin is a good author, one because this book is in one of my favorite gere, two she made this book for both little kids and older kids like me (even if i prefer more advanced books) the books charecters also each ha ...more
Tanya
The Ghost Sitter is a children's book about a young girl named Charlotte who moves into a new house with her family, only to discover that it's haunted. Susie, the ghost, doesn't seem to know she's dead and Charlotte wants to help her move on.
The book isn't spooky at all so it's great for young readers. It uses the usual ghost clichés (cold spots, disembodied voices, only being seen by children/pets), but they work well for the story since the main character is only 12.
It wraps up nicely and has
Hannah Johstono
Apr 30, 2015 Hannah Johstono rated it did not like it
Shelves: reading-4050
I did not like this book at all. It was honestly one of the weirdest books I read. It gave me the chills because it was not a scary ghost story. It was about a family who moved into a house that their youngest daughter and son came in contact with a child ghost. Later on they tried to get the young girl ghost into the light. It was different that's for sure. If anyone likes a ghost story, this book would be great for you.
Megan
I forgot how much I loved reading about Susie. I remembered most of the story once I was reading it. This one definitely takes me back to my childhood because I loved reading ghost stories like this one. I'm glad I decided to read it again real quick. It's a good quick read, especially when you need it to start a challenge you've joined lol. I hope that Susie's story lives on with other children. It's a good one.
Skye
Feb 25, 2013 Skye rated it it was amazing
this book was entertaining. It is about a girl who died from a firecracker explosion on one fourth of july and her little sister can see her as a ghost and she tells her never to leeave. so the ghost stays and she meets a girl who moves into her house and she resolves the unfinished buisness the ghost had while helping the girl with her baby brother, hence the name "the ghost sitter"
Leisly
Jun 18, 2012 Leisly rated it it was amazing
I think it is a wonderful book to read. It teaches you to appreciate the people that you have now because when you lose them, you lose them forever.It is about a girl named Susie that died at age 12 and 50 years had pasted and she has not moved out of the blue house.Until a new family comes to live there. A secret will be discovered....
Rachel Brokaw
Sep 22, 2014 Rachel Brokaw rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
I do not remember a bunch about this book, but I feel like it was one of the more emotional children's books that I read. It was a book for more entertainment purposes, but it could still be a great book to recommend a student read. I chose this book because it was more vintage/historically related and if that's a genre that a student enjoys it would be a great book for them to try out.
Feb 13, 2014 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, texas
I picked this book up on a whim in the school library. I was in the mood for a ghost.

This book surpassed my expectations. It wasn't a scary ghost story. Instead it's a touching tale of promises, death, and love. It's reassuring about death, a topic difficult to understand.

I truly loved this story. I need to check out other books by this author.
Makenzie
Jan 24, 2009 Makenzie rated it it was amazing
This book is short but a really good read. If you ever are looking for a short book to read, this is the one. It is about a girls who moves into a house and finds out it is haunted by a girl who doesnt even know she is dea. It sort of sounds scary but it is not scary at all. Great book for kids.
Saeeun Ahn
Aug 29, 2010 Saeeun Ahn rated it it was amazing
Ten year old Susie has waited for her parents and sister to come back. Each new family who moves into her home seems not to notice her, except for the young children. Susit loves children and she even likes baby sitting. Charlotte is having a great summer. Someone seems to baby sit her brother.
Jesse Sattler
Nov 04, 2013 Jesse Sattler rated it liked it
This book was very well thought out and suspenseful. After Charlotte saw her grandma float and go through a wall; she knew that she was in for a crazy summer. Also, it's a good book for people who like mystery.
Ross Bussell
The Ghost Sitter is a good book for kids to read. It's not that difficult, but has a neat story that is shrouded in mystery, plus, everybody loves a good ghost story. This isn't a classic, but it is a good kid's book.
Estela
Aug 13, 2015 Estela rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing . Susie is my favorite character. My 2nd favorite character is Gloria. Peni R. Griffin is an awesome writer. The Ghost Sitter is now my favorite book. When I finished this book I thought it was the greatest book in the entire world ! !!!
Barb
Jun 07, 2009 Barb rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-gs
Sweet non-scary ghost story about a ghost who takes care of the children who live in her house, until one finally discovers why the ghost child is still there.
Brenda
May 20, 2014 Brenda rated it really liked it
Shelves: child-lit
A great, but not too scary, ghost story for kids. I give it a 3.5, but I'm sure my students would give it a 4 or 5!
Bloodstream
Mar 30, 2013 Bloodstream rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ghost-stories
I love this book it is really good. I got it at a used book store and expected it to be bad but it turns out it is a really good book. If you have not read this book you should.
Matt
Jun 25, 2012 Matt added it
Teacher read this too us in 4th grade. I remember liking it for some reason, it's been bugging my conscience of late, so I looked it up.
Emma
Jul 16, 2008 Emma rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like paranormal mysteries :-)
Recommended to Emma by: I think my library teacher did...
This was a good ghost story. I kinda got bored in some parts but I loved the plot and everything. Nice job Peni Griffin.
Melanie
Nov 04, 2011 Melanie rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-fiction
This book was OK. Interesting premise, but I just never felt connected to any of the characters and the plot semeed far fetched to me.
Carolyn Ferguson
Nov 21, 2013 Carolyn Ferguson rated it liked it
This book was good but I also felt that is was slightly predictable and I struggled keeping my attention on it. I would still try to read it again in the future.
Corrie
Jun 17, 2016 Corrie rated it really liked it
Just finished reading this book, absolutely brilliant!! Such a good read and would suggest anyone that needs a little pick me up to read it!
Milton Cubicle
Mar 08, 2010 Milton Cubicle rated it it was amazing
shocking book about a woman who has a fetish for raping ghosts. she's a sick and twisted quadroplegic bitch! and she's out to get some ectoplasm....
Theadora
Oct 20, 2014 Theadora rated it it was ok
So sad:/ At some point I was a tad confused, but in the end it was settled. Really good for teaching children that fireworks are dangerous.
  • Carlotta's Kittens (Cat Pack #3)
  • Bruce Coville's Book of Ghosts: Tales to Haunt You
  • Seven Strange and Ghostly Tales
  • The Black Paw (Spy Mice, #1)
  • The Blue Ghost
  • The Old Willis Place
  • Ghost of a Hanged Man
  • Out of the Dark
  • The Quest of the Warrior Sheep (The Warrior Sheep, #1)
  • The Ghost's Grave
  • Voices after Midnight
  • The Ghost of Fossil Glen
  • Free Baseball
  • Ghost Cadet
  • The Wicked, Wicked Ladies in the Haunted House
  • Among the Dolls
  • The Ghosts
  • My Rotten Life (Nathan Abercrombie, Accidental Zombie, #1)