Start by marking “The Second Jungle Book” as Want to Read:
The Second Jungle Book

The Second Jungle Book

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,200 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Large Format for easy reading. Works from the well known British author and poet and creator of 'The Jungle Book'
Published November 3rd 2006 by Doubleday (first published 1895)

To ask other readers questions about The Second Jungle Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Jungle Book

Ivanhoe by Walter ScottMcGuffey Series by William Holmes McGuffeyMcguffey's Eclectic Second Reader by William Holmes McGuffeyDo and Dare by Horatio Alger Jr.McGuffey's Fifth Eclectic Reader by William Holmes McGuffey
Robinson Curriculum Books
27th out of 71 books — 3 voters
Table 21 by T. Rafael CiminoUnearthly by Cynthia Hand90 Miles to Freedom by K.C. HiltonThe Wise Man's Fear by Patrick RothfussDeath Drop by Sean Allen
Great Reads Of 2011 So Far
56th out of 116 books — 76 voters

More lists with this book...

Darwin8u
Sequels, especially YA sequels, seem destined to drop in quality. The first book sold well and was popular. There is a demand, I imagine, from fans and publishers to repeat a proven recipe. But the author's heart isn't in it. It sells, but sucks.

This is not that sequel. Sting once bragged that he could "shit a pop song". I'm thinking Kipling could do the same with a short story. There just wasn't much drop in the quality and content from Jungle Book to the Second Jungle Book. So, in my mind, I
Abby
For anyone who has loved the Mowgli stories of The Jungle Book, this sequel is a must-read. Mowgli has grown from being the little Man Cub to being Master of the Jungle; he is well on his way to becoming a man. Included are the stories of Mowgli destoying a village, fighting the wild red dogs, and finding an ancient treasure. Also, we have the stories of an old Brahmin holy man, a man-eating crocodile, and (as out of place as Kotick the White Seal in the first volume) an Inuit seal hunter.
Mowgli
Julia Brumfield
I have always enjoyed the Wal-Mart Classics while I wish these would come back out but that is a wish for something else. My sister was able to send me these copies so I have been trying to read them - reading the other short stories then moving onto the Mowgli stories all at the same time.

Before I actually start my review I would like to make mention of something that may be of interest to some others who may want to shake things up for these stories. While I was trying to figure out how to pr
Drew Graham
The saga of Mowgli the Man-cub continues in this second volume of tales of the Jungle. Details of Mowgli's life in and out of the man village are revealed, as well as stories of other creatures and their interactions with each other and with the men they can never seem to understand.

This was another mixed bag of stories, some interesting, some not quite as. I loved getting more details about Mowgli's interaction with those in the man village (including hints to his true heritage), and how he gre
Clinton King
I first read these short stories a couple of years ago, but I just recently read some of them to my children. I enjoy them, but there were some complaints about how slow some of the stories seemed to move. If you liked the first Jungle Book, (which is still in print; this one isn't) you'll like this book, as well. Incidentally, the contrast between the Mowgli featured in most of the stories in this book and the Mowgli of Disney fame is even starker that it was in the first collection. In these s ...more
Amy
I stayed up until 3am to read this book, I think that is a fairly good indicator. What was a disappointment was some of the chapters not about Mowgli. In the first Jungle Book each other story was as amazing as the other, but this time, especially the one about the diplomat, I found myself unable to engage with the story and it was written in such a way it was trying to read. But once the Mowgli stories begun again I got engrossed with it. So I guess it is still an amazing book but with a couple ...more
B. Zedan
Jul 22, 2008 B. Zedan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone, really
If you time it correctly, both Jungle Books can hit you perfectly at just the right age. I think that's how they were for me as a kid. The first is a great adventure story, and the second is a level up, sadder and about growing up and everything. I need to make two detours here, the first regarding why I needed to re-read it.
About a year ago, this tree I loved was cut down. I'm kind of weird about plants, comes from growing up a loner with a well-wooded acre to play in. Anyway, I get in a fit ab
Raj
The Second Jungle Book contains several stories of the jungle and beyond, as well as finishing the story of the Man Cub, Mowgli over several hops. The end of the first Jungle Book saw Mowgli return to the jungle after a bad experience in a local village, and this describes some of his further adventures, now as master of the jungle. The final story here, The Spring Running which the book itself describes as "the last of the Mowgli stories" had me blubbing at the end. It describes the change that ...more
Russell
The overarching story is the transition of Mowgli from a teenager, a Lost Boy to borrow from Barrie, to beginning of what it means to be a man.

Kipling's prose is pure magic. Even though they are of the Jungle, woven together with the Jungle, the lessons of the stories are timeless.

The stories set outside of Mowgli and his Jungle delighted me as much as Mowgli's. Of course, the core is centered around Mowgli. The last two stories are bittersweet, for they are about endings and changes. All the
Dan
Having read The Jungle Booksome time ago, I thought it was about time I read the sequel. It's certainly a development from the first and sees Mowgli as a teenager being used to death and the way of the Jungle. There's quite a focus on humans in this one and it is clear from the start that Mowgli is destined to return to live with his kind and this ending is brilliantly done. It's heartfelt and Mowgli isn't sure what he is doing is right but his friends in the Jungle tell him it is.

There's also a
Renée Damstra
Heerlijk boek weer. Neemt me helemaal mee. Er zat 1 verhaal tussen wat me wat minder deed, ben alweer vergeten welke, de rest was supergoed. De gedichtjes sla ik ook over maar dat heeft er ook mee van doen dat mijn niveau van Engels niet zodanig is dat ik die goed kan volgen. Verder: met eenvoudige taal sterk beeldend en wat ik ook heel knap vindt, met karakters, zeker voor wat betreft Mowgli die ondanks de typering wat ongrijpbaar blijven. En ook heel knap vind ik het gevoel van Kipling voor di ...more
Angelo Giardini
O Segundo Livro da Selva é um livro de contos do Rudyard Kipling, escrito sobre os mesmos temas por ele já abordados no primeiro Livro da Selva (ou Livro da Jângal). Aqui, mais uma vez, reaparece o personagem de Mowgli, o menino-lobo (nesta edição portuguesa, infelizmente, chamado de Máugli). Cinco dos oito contos lidam com novas aventuras de Mowgli, enquanto os três outros tratam de temas diversos, mas sempre ligados aos animais e à natureza.

Kipling escreve esses contos com poesia e imaginação,
Wahyu Nurasman
jujur aja saya lupa terbitan mana yang saya baca. tapi buku ini yah..seperti tipikal buku lainnya lah.. hahahaha...

baca sendiri aja. saya nemu buku ini "nyelip" di buku titipan saya soalnya.
Carolyn
Loved every bit of it. Will never forgive Disney for ruining it.
Andrew
I didn't like this as much as the first. This book brings to an end the story Mowgli, other adventures are narrated and study in deep his relationship with the race of men. Note that here is no longer the baby of the previous book, but a young man in search of his place in the world. There are other stories that feature the animals, some settle in the jungle, others in different places. It's definitely a worthy conclusion of the main story, about of Mowgli, but begins to be a bit boring, maybe b ...more
Nick
Life in the Second Jungle Book has grown much darker than in the first. Mowgli has become a teenager, and a good deal of the fun of childhood evaporates (like it does for all teens). He has to come to terms with death in the jungle and his relationship to the rest of mankind. As such, Book 2 is more appropriate reading for teens, if it's not too old-fashioned for them. Too bad if it is, because the writing is extraordinary -- as most of Kipling is -- and his love for India, its jungles and its a ...more
Poko
Muy enredoso
Andy
I started this shortly after the first collection though got sidetracked midway (real books held sway over my kindle). Despite the interruption, I actually preferred this volume, primarily for the predominance of stories about Mowgli though I also appreciated the darker and older situations encountered.

The stories are touching and somewhat melancholy as Mowgli faces up to aging, power struggles and the changes therein. The writing is again fantastic, the environment vivid and alive. Well recomm
Hez Bohin
I really enjoyed the Mowgli stories in both the first Jungle Book and in this book. They are poignant, interesting, and insightful. However, I am disappointed that there were so few Mowgli stories in these two books. Out of the fifteen, or so, short stories, only seven or eight of them were about Mowgli and the jungle. The end of this book was terribly sad, to me, and it only left me unsatisfied, wishing that Kipling had written more about Mowgli's fascinating tale.
Brian
While I don't think it was as good as the first Jungle Book, it's still a highly compelling read and gives tremendous amounts of insight into the mind of a late 19th-century imperialist. I've learned a lot from reading these, and I assume that they'll stick with me for a long time.

For my full review, check out my column "Culling The Classics" over on LitReactor.com.
Daysy Martinez
I thought this book was a good read. The author did a great job describing the characters. It contains many stories that are really interesting. Something to keep in mind when reading this book is that the chapters do not really connect with each other. I didn't like how some chapters didn't relate to each other because it would get confusing to read. I would recommend this book to children and adults. Overall I would give this book a rating of 3 stars.
Alfred Prill
This is imagery and writing combining to paint a jungle filled with creatures of character that pull you into a place we knew as children...when our imagination took us where our mortal souls could not tread

I love the jungle books, I read them to my daughter and help her understand the roles each character plays. The jungle books are good stories which provide deeper meaning as we read and re-read them throughout our lives.
Justin
I would have to say it was at least as good as the first one. It still has the stories that aren't Mowgli-centric. One took place in Canada with some Inuits which I found quite good actually.

You see a lot of growth in Mowgli and also see him return again to the man village a couple times.

It was a fun read.
Clarissa
I didn't like this as much ad the first. True Mowgli is older so the tales were much darker. I think my main problem was there should've been more Mowgli stories. To me that's what The Jungle Book is. Not the other stories. & the last of the Mowgli stories left me feeling disappointed & flat.

Murph Hutson
Excellent!!! I love the Disney cartoon, but **SPOILER** this is nothing like it. In fact, the character of Kaa is majorly mistreated and slandered in the Disney version. He is, in fact, awesome and a great friend to Mowgli. I would love to see a film adaptation that is true to the book.
Sofia Gonçalves
In this second jungle book, we can rey, read more about Maugli, as he is growing. Actually, all of the characters passes throught an aging process. Althought it has less India magic, I can say I liked more this book, because of the adventures of Maugli, and the jungles Law. :)

Oz Barton
I nearly cried when it was over, because it was over.

I didn't much care for "The Undertakers" (satisfying end, but what irritating characters!) and even less so for "Quiquern" (even overlooking the racism, it's just not a very good story). The rest of it is pure gold, all of it.
Matt
Sequels seems to always disappoint me, and this was no exception. A touching goodbye at the end of the book between Mowgli and Kaa, Baloo, Bagheera, and one of Mowgli's wolf brothers knocked this up from a two star review at the last second. A literary buzzer beater.
Maria
A boy raised by wolves. It's an urban legend, really. But not necessarily a contemporary one. In 1893, Rudyard Kipling brought this legend to life with the publishing of The Jungle Book.

We're probably all familiar with the basic story. Mowgli, a h
Alissa
A great storey for children that can be enjoyed by adults. This is a continuation of the life of Mowgli, the young orphan boy who was raised by wolfs. There are many adventures with his lovable animal friends & life lessons as he learns the Laws of the jungle.
  • A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
  • The Art of Fact: A Historical Anthology of Literary Journalism
  • Sylvie and Bruno Concluded
  • Poetical Works
  • A Whisper in the Dark
  • Faeries (Magical Worlds of Fantasy)
  • Bambi's Children
  • The Unabridged Mark Twain
  • Men of Iron
  • If I Were You
Awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1907 "in consideration of the power of observation, originality of imagination, virility of ideas and remarkable talent for narration which characterize the creations of this world-famous author."

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudyard_...
More about Rudyard Kipling...
The Jungle Books The Jungle Book Just So Stories Kim Captains Courageous