Start by marking “The Unlikely Missionary: From Pew-Warmer to Poverty-Fighter” as Want to Read:
The Unlikely Missionary: From Pew-Warmer to Poverty-Fighter

The Unlikely Missionary: From Pew-Warmer to Poverty-Fighter

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  7 reviews
What does it take to break away from the kind of lukewarm faith that binds so many well-meaning Christians in the church today? When Jesus called the Twelve, He called them to a revolutionary life. Those first disciples of Christ had an experience that changed them forever, and turning back to mediocrity simply wasn’t an option.

How can you discover life with that same kind
Published October 10th 2011 by BibleDude Press (first published October 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Unlikely Missionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unlikely Missionary

The Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoOm Chanting and Meditation by Amit RayThe Power of Now by Eckhart TolleA New Earth by Eckhart TolleGazing Into the Eternal by Belsebuub
Best Spiritual Books
212th out of 586 books — 591 voters
FROM BUDDHA TO JESUS by Steve CioccolantiHumility by C.J. MahaneyRadical by David PlattWhy Pro-Life? by Randy AlcornCity of God by Augustine of Hippo
Christian Engagement in Culture
22nd out of 115 books — 40 voters

More lists with this book...

Cristiane Ferreira
The book is about Dan King's experience, as the title suggests, from being an observer to becoming a life changer.

He tells us how he first connected to Five Talents (a christian organization that works with microfinance to help poor communities) through a blog post, and how that contact became an opportunity to travel to Africa to teach business classes to the clients of Five Talents in Kenya and Uganda.

He tells us about his contact with two different cultures, the experiences he had with the c
Crystal
Every single word of this book was worth reading. This isn’t your typical book recalling someone’s first mission trip. The stories are powerful and the transformation in Dan’s heart is incredible, but this book offers so much more. It offers each one of us the chance to really pray about how God is calling us to serve and then to move into action on that calling.

My favorite part of the book is the PRAXIS at the end of each chapter. Taking his own personal experiences, Dan challenges us to have s
Gobnait
Dan King is a good man with a good heart. That being said, this book was, in my opinion, only somewhere between ok and pretty good. It just didn't live up to my expectations. I was disappointed that a book written by a chaplain didn't really talk much about God, church, or attempting to convert others to Christianity. Most of the book covered their poverty and his guilt that our country is so blessed.
Victoria
This was a short book about a man who was writing up posts on his blog about poverty and ended up being asked to be a part of an organization for a short-term missions trip. He was to give a micro-loan presentation to people in Uganda & Kenya who wanted to have help for their small businesses. I felt in a way like I was reading a few blog entries when reading this book as there were some pictures and links to youtube videos and more on it. It was pretty simple and got the point across. It wa ...more
Melanie Wendt
I loved this book. Being able to see how someones experience on their first missions trip was. It was encouraging and helpful to remind me about how awesome God is and how he opens our hearts for service and our minds to the things going on in the world. Excited for where God will take me when it comes to missions work.
Amanda
Jan 12, 2014 Amanda added it
My thoughts

it was a good short read. I liked that this book was a different outlook on how to help end the cycle of poverty while using your gifts abd talents. not only overseas,but in your own community.
Seth Goldsmith
Just a normal type guy describing how his life was completely changed because of a mission trip.
Dotty Strickland
Dotty Strickland marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Connine Daniels
Connine Daniels is currently reading it
Apr 27, 2015
Clyde Pharr
Clyde Pharr is currently reading it
Apr 24, 2015
Jess
Jess added it
Apr 15, 2015
Greg.joliegmail.com
Greg.joliegmail.com marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Tasha
Tasha marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Rosanna Brubacker
Rosanna Brubacker marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Shelby
Shelby marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Tina Bretsch bing
Tina Bretsch bing marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Jenthevideogirl
Jenthevideogirl marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
Krista Burdine
Krista Burdine marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Sadie
Sadie marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Debra Patton
Debra Patton marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Shelly Willhoite
Shelly Willhoite marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Willing To Review...: reviews for "the unlikely missionary" 1 7 Nov 02, 2013 12:05PM
Christ-follower. husband. father. training development guru. school of ministry and missions instructor. social media editor for thehighcalling.org. blogger at bibledude.net. co-founder and media director for the activistfaith.org movement. social media coordinator for helponenow.org. blogging and social media consultant at fistbumpmedia.com. lover of sour patch kids.
More about Dan King...
Paul's Letter to the Philippians (BibleDude Community Commentary Series)

“I wondered whether we’ve become a society that needs to be connected by our branded ‘badges of honor’. Is this what we do in order to help us feel like a community?” 0 likes
“What would it be like if we flooded third-world nations with teachers instead of plain-old financial support?” 0 likes