Start by marking “The Unlikely Missionary: From Pew-Warmer to Poverty-Fighter” as Want to Read:
The Unlikely Missionary: From Pew-Warmer to Poverty-Fighter

The Unlikely Missionary: From Pew-Warmer to Poverty-Fighter

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  50 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
At some point in their life, most Christians have walked through the doors of their church on Sunday morning and wondered what it really means to live a Christian life. Unfortunately, few ever do more than warm a pew on Sunday and try to be a "good person" throughout the week. But the reality is...

Jesus called us to change the world... starting with 'the least of these.'
Published October 10th 2011 by BibleDude Press (first published October 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Unlikely Missionary, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unlikely Missionary

The Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoThe Power of Now by Eckhart TolleOm Chanting and Meditation by Amit RayA New Earth by Eckhart TolleSiddhartha by Hermann Hesse
Best Spiritual Books
239th out of 704 books — 747 voters
Blood River by Tim ButcherThings Fall Apart by Chinua AchebeThe Poisonwood Bible by Barbara KingsolverHalf of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi AdichieHeart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
Africa
455th out of 1,152 books — 1,195 voters

More lists with this book...

Cris Ferreira
Nov 09, 2011 Cris Ferreira rated it it was amazing
The book is about Dan King's experience, as the title suggests, from being an observer to becoming a life changer.

He tells us how he first connected to Five Talents (a christian organization that works with microfinance to help poor communities) through a blog post, and how that contact became an opportunity to travel to Africa to teach business classes to the clients of Five Talents in Kenya and Uganda.

He tells us about his contact with two different cultures, the experiences he had with the c
Crystal
Nov 08, 2011 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
Every single word of this book was worth reading. This isn’t your typical book recalling someone’s first mission trip. The stories are powerful and the transformation in Dan’s heart is incredible, but this book offers so much more. It offers each one of us the chance to really pray about how God is calling us to serve and then to move into action on that calling.

My favorite part of the book is the PRAXIS at the end of each chapter. Taking his own personal experiences, Dan challenges us to have s
Victoria
Apr 15, 2013 Victoria rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
This was a short book about a man who was writing up posts on his blog about poverty and ended up being asked to be a part of an organization for a short-term missions trip. He was to give a micro-loan presentation to people in Uganda & Kenya who wanted to have help for their small businesses. I felt in a way like I was reading a few blog entries when reading this book as there were some pictures and links to youtube videos and more on it. It was pretty simple and got the point across. It wa ...more
Melanie Wendt
Mar 30, 2015 Melanie Wendt rated it really liked it
I loved this book. Being able to see how someones experience on their first missions trip was. It was encouraging and helpful to remind me about how awesome God is and how he opens our hearts for service and our minds to the things going on in the world. Excited for where God will take me when it comes to missions work.
Jasper
Mar 29, 2016 Jasper rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
LOVED this book. I experienced many of the same sentiments on my first trip to Africa!
Amanda
Jan 12, 2014 Amanda added it
My thoughts

it was a good short read. I liked that this book was a different outlook on how to help end the cycle of poverty while using your gifts abd talents. not only overseas,but in your own community.
Seth Goldsmith
Aug 17, 2013 Seth Goldsmith rated it really liked it
Just a normal type guy describing how his life was completely changed because of a mission trip.
Dawn Rood
Dawn Rood rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Fiona Cher Yiq Hsin
Fiona Cher Yiq Hsin marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
shawna scribben
shawna scribben rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Brent Earwicker
Brent Earwicker marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2016
Gwen
Gwen marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016
Olivia
Olivia added it
Feb 20, 2016
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Niki Roberts
Niki Roberts rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Lib
Lib marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Hoss
Hoss marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Dave
Dave rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2016
Stephanie Clarke
Stephanie Clarke marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2016
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Kelly Middlebrook
Kelly Middlebrook rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
gregory m brown
gregory m brown marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Susie
Susie rated it it was ok
Feb 27, 2016
Amanda Betts
Amanda Betts marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Darien
Darien marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Sharon Gray
Sharon Gray marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Willing To Review...: reviews for "the unlikely missionary" 1 7 Nov 02, 2013 12:05PM
Christ-follower. husband. father. training development guru. school of ministry and missions instructor. social media editor for thehighcalling.org. blogger at bibledude.net. co-founder and media director for the activistfaith.org movement. social media coordinator for helponenow.org. blogging and social media consultant at fistbumpmedia.com. lover of sour patch kids.
More about Dan King...

“I wondered whether we’ve become a society that needs to be connected by our branded ‘badges of honor’. Is this what we do in order to help us feel like a community?” 0 likes
“What would it be like if we flooded third-world nations with teachers instead of plain-old financial support?” 0 likes