The Unlikely Missionary: From Pew-Warmer to Poverty-Fighter

The Unlikely Missionary: From Pew-Warmer to Poverty-Fighter

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  6 reviews
What does it take to break away from the kind of lukewarm faith that binds so many well-meaning Christians in the church today? When Jesus called the Twelve, He called them to a revolutionary life. Those first disciples of Christ had an experience that changed them forever, and turning back to mediocrity simply wasn’t an option.

How can you discover life with that same kind...more
Published October 10th 2011 by BibleDude Press (first published October 9th 2011)

The Alchemist by Paulo CoelhoA New Earth by Eckhart TolleGazing Into the Eternal by BelsebuubThe Power of Now by Eckhart TolleOm Chanting and Meditation by Amit Ray
Best Spiritual Books
169th out of 482 books — 458 voters
FROM BUDDHA TO JESUS by Steve CioccolantiHumility by C.J. MahaneyRadical by David PlattWhy Pro-Life? by Randy AlcornCity of God by Augustine of Hippo
Christian Engagement in Culture
22nd out of 113 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Cristiane Ferreira
The book is about Dan King's experience, as the title suggests, from being an observer to becoming a life changer.

He tells us how he first connected to Five Talents (a christian organization that works with microfinance to help poor communities) through a blog post, and how that contact became an opportunity to travel to Africa to teach business classes to the clients of Five Talents in Kenya and Uganda.

He tells us about his contact with two different cultures, the experiences he had with the c...more
Crystal
Every single word of this book was worth reading. This isn’t your typical book recalling someone’s first mission trip. The stories are powerful and the transformation in Dan’s heart is incredible, but this book offers so much more. It offers each one of us the chance to really pray about how God is calling us to serve and then to move into action on that calling.

My favorite part of the book is the PRAXIS at the end of each chapter. Taking his own personal experiences, Dan challenges us to have s...more
Gobnait
Dan King is a good man with a good heart. That being said, this book was, in my opinion, only somewhere between ok and pretty good. It just didn't live up to my expectations. I was disappointed that a book written by a chaplain didn't really talk much about God, church, or attempting to convert others to Christianity. Most of the book covered their poverty and his guilt that our country is so blessed.
Victoria
This was a short book about a man who was writing up posts on his blog about poverty and ended up being asked to be a part of an organization for a short-term missions trip. He was to give a micro-loan presentation to people in Uganda & Kenya who wanted to have help for their small businesses. I felt in a way like I was reading a few blog entries when reading this book as there were some pictures and links to youtube videos and more on it. It was pretty simple and got the point across. It wa...more
Amanda
Jan 12, 2014 Amanda added it
My thoughts

it was a good short read. I liked that this book was a different outlook on how to help end the cycle of poverty while using your gifts abd talents. not only overseas,but in your own community.
Seth Goldsmith
Just a normal type guy describing how his life was completely changed because of a mission trip.
Laura Dallas
Laura Dallas marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Katie Nelson
Katie Nelson marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Jennifer Kodanko
Jennifer Kodanko marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Aimee Moore
Aimee Moore marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Lydia
Lydia marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Codi
Codi marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Sara Anderson
Sara Anderson marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
David Taylor
David Taylor marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Jennifer Palubicki
Jennifer Palubicki marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Sandro_ii
Sandro_ii marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Brooke Sears
Brooke Sears marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Heather Salvatore
Heather Salvatore marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Sheila Wilkinson
Sheila Wilkinson marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Caitlin
Caitlin marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Mark Perkins
Mark Perkins marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Willing To Review...: reviews for "the unlikely missionary" 1 7 Nov 02, 2013 12:05PM
Christ-follower. husband. father. training development guru. school of ministry and missions instructor. social media editor for thehighcalling.org. blogger at bibledude.net. co-founder and media director for the activistfaith.org movement. social media coordinator for helponenow.org. blogging and social media consultant at fistbumpmedia.com. lover of sour patch kids.
More about Dan King...
Paul's Letter to the Philippians (BibleDude Community Commentary Series)

“I wondered whether we’ve become a society that needs to be connected by our branded ‘badges of honor’. Is this what we do in order to help us feel like a community?” 0 likes
“What would it be like if we flooded third-world nations with teachers instead of plain-old financial support?” 0 likes