Start by marking “With and Without Class” as Want to Read:
With and Without Class

With and Without Class

Short stories blending science fiction, fantasy and satire. Fourteen stories that refuse to be pigeon-holed. From the edges of the known Universe, to the microscopic limits of a Petri dish, to a yuppie's post-apocalyptic bachelor pad, be prepared to imagine new worlds and new ideas.

Misplaced characters find themselves in the strangest dilemmas. Can a ghost find his revenge
Published by Poetics Press (first published April 2nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about With and Without Class, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With and Without Class

Richard
A weird assortment of tales, mostly horror, but also displaying the author's irrepressible sense of humor. Stories take place in various settings, from Petri dishes, to small town hovels, to the edge of the universe. And, um, stuff happens, if you know what I mean.

Some stories (featuring a few of David's wackier scenarios) were reprinted from Not from Concentrate, possibly to lighten the mood a little.

Fleming has a lot of knowledge about human nature. Some of his small town characters feel like
David Fleming
Oct 11, 2011 David Fleming rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Of course I'm biased because I wrote it.
Zakirrah BookBlogger
DO YOU WANT TO WIN A SIGNED PAPERBACK
Need more people entering!!

ENTER HERE-->>http://zakirrahsbookblog.blogspot.co....
Tabitha
Jan 07, 2013 Tabitha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
3.5-4 stars
Collections of short stories are like a drug to me, and 'With and Without Class' offered up some pretty good shit. XD
First, a couple of stories I really loved, 'A Blind Date for Bonkers', 'Soulmate Divorce' and 'Talent Police.'
'Blind Date' was so deliciously weird and fast-paced I couldn't get enough. The ever-contracting slang set against ever-growing relationship problems made me giggle the whole way through. I suppose if I was that tiny I wouldn't want to deal with the BS either.
O
Charlie Kravetz
Jul 14, 2013 Charlie Kravetz rated it really liked it
This review is for the Kindle edition ebook.

An eclectic mix of short stories, some are great, some are not, well worth reading.

This is a book of stories. The only common theme is horror. Some of the stories are very good. I did not enjoy every story, but I was happy to have a mix to read. It is very nice to have something different once in a while. The fact that this is a mix means most of us will find a few stories we really like, even though there will be a few we do not like mixed in.

I really
Melissa Robitille
Jan 05, 2013 Melissa Robitille rated it liked it
The book, as a whole, was fairly well done. Several stories are disjointed, but interesting if you enjoy a story that makes you wonder what recreational drugs the author was partaking of while writing. Other stories are little gems. As an editor, I found the typos to consist of largely forgivable oversights, but mixing up 'their', 'there' and 'they're' irritates me deeply and threw me right out of more than one story that was otherwise quite good.

I recommend anyone who deals poorly with made-up
Evie
Dec 20, 2014 Evie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I want this and I want it now.
*adds to gift card spending list*
Dita
Jan 27, 2015 Dita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review and others can be also found on A Lazy Squirrel's Reading Guide.

Overall, the collection was okay. I can’t say I loved it, but it had some stories that I liked, while some really dragged for me.

My favourite was the one about the couple getting a divorce. I'm neither married nor a divorcee, but something still struck me there. I'd say because the divorce wasn't the main point of that story.

Some of the stories were quite bonkers. Especially the one called A Blind Date for Bonkers ;)

Mos
Nanette Tredoux
Feb 09, 2015 Nanette Tredoux rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an advance copy of this book from NetGalley for the purpose of reviewing it.

What an extravagantly versatile imagination David Fleming has. The choice of themes and settings for these short stories are literally mind-boggling - such a variety. With each story, the reader is immersed in a different world, and it may take you a while to judge whether you are supposed to experience it as real or not. Some of the stories are set in alternate realities, and some are truly bizarre, some are
Sheldon Wiebe
With and Without Class is a collection of a baker's dozen of David Wallace Fleming's short stories - plus an excerpt from a novel.

Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

The stories rage from science fiction to fantasy to horror and every permutation of those genres. The best way I can think of to describe them is to say that they are definitely peculiar.

Whether dealing with soulmates who seek a divorce in the afterlife, or a digital world in which citizens who try to artificially enhance their looks, intellig
Caroline
I received this through Goodreads Giveaways
This is an assortment of short stories predominantly about science fiction and horror quite an eclectic mix.Some of the stories were a lot better than others.I really did not like "A blind date for bonkers" and if they had all been like that ,I would not have been able to finish the book!
The stories are very clever as the plot of each one becomes clear very quickly and some of them are very short,only a few pages long.Some of the stories I would have l
S.E. Anderson
Tamara!
Nov 27, 2013 Tamara! rated it it was amazing
Surrealistically bizarre, at times disturbing, all of them entertaining. Twists, turns, giggles, oh my's, oh YEA this was a fun collection! My favorite was Zombie Clown Western. Some I re-read, they were too entertaining to want to stop. The Magic-Fiver was one of those. I give this book an over all WOW! Great human insight put into incredible situations/ideas and did I mention how much I liked this book! WOW!
Marilyn Stanley
Apr 07, 2015 Marilyn Stanley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although horror stories are not my favourite reading material, I enjoyed this book - mostly because it was fourteen little stories that I could read one or two at a time and then put the book down and think about what I had read. I must say this author has quite the imagination but I guess that's what it takes to be a good write.

I highly recommend his book.
Mary
Aug 09, 2015 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With and Without Class is a collection of 14 very different stories. I liked the idea of being able to put the book down at any point and pick it back up read another short story. The collection of stories are funny, very weird, entertaining and quite creative. Thanks to Goodreads, it was worth the read!
Vlada
Feb 12, 2015 Vlada rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received "With and Without Class" for free through Goodreads First Reads*

This book kept me company on my way to and back from work this week and my trips definitely weren't boring. It is a collection of extravagant, peculiar, weird, funny and entertaining stories. Some of them I liked less, they were a bit confusing, some I liked more. My personal favorite is "The Natural Celebrity".
Rita
Jul 23, 2015 Rita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won the book through Goodreads. Some stories were really good but others not so much. That's why it took me a while to finish it. However, I think the author's writing is marvelous so I will wait for a novel!
Darleine
Jun 23, 2012 Darleine rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing book!!! Loved it! :D
Nwe Mon
Dec 12, 2014 Nwe Mon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an amazing book!
Bethany
Jan 02, 2016 Bethany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm struggling between two stars and three stars here. In fact, I'm struggling to simply pull my thoughts together on how I feel about this collection.

THE GOOD
• Creativity.
If this collection of short stories is anything, it's creative. Most have a sci-fi/futuristic/alternate world sort of theme to them. There's a lot of variety in the worlds and situations created by the author.

• Some strong stories. Some of these stories were really, really good. You just wanted more of the worlds and characte
Lauren
Jan 19, 2015 Lauren rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway.

This is a book of 13 short stories supposedly based on fantasy, horror and science fiction. Personally I'm not sure what genre I would put these short stories in, they definitely were those of the real world, but some I would just class as strange and not really science fiction/fantasy like. For example a story about a stool competition doesn't really fall into those categories.

It wasn't a particularly large book yet it took me a while to finish. I j
S.E. Anderson
An interesting collection of tales, though a little disjointed. I rather enjoyed the creative storytelling, though I feel like the stories themselves were too short to offer any connection with the reader. As of such, there was no resolution, or if there was, it fell flat. I would have like to see the author expand on some of the worlds he created. Some stories through really caught my heart - A Blind Date for Bonkers will always stick with me! - while others really did not interest me. It was d ...more
Neil
This short story collection is a scattershot mix of different genres, ideas, humour, satire, thriller, weird romance, jumping from one to the other. There are some real gems, in particular "Soulmate Divorce" and "Talent Police". I also like "Perfection of the Mind" a lot. There are a few that drag it down though, "Electric Comedian left me cold, "A Blind Date for Bonkers just annoyed me. Overall however, this is a collection worth diving into.
Allan
May 22, 2016 Allan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now this is a amazing set of stories. I like it when I really get into a authors writing style. Not only do I like his humor but the man can sure write a horror story. Soulmate divorce is amazing. I normally don't really like short stories and even look for how many pages is in a book before I buy it. All I can say is this collection has changed my mind. Some short story collections might be amazing. This one is!!!!
Sherry
Jan 29, 2017 Sherry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A group of very creative science fiction/fantasy short stories. Overall I would have to say I enjoyed all the stories, however some left me a little short as I either didn't understand the ending or missed the entire plot. A blind date for bonkers was probably my favorite story in the group- that one would give Dr. Seuss a run for his money! Fun book and easy reading - a good reads give away, thanks.
Emily
Jul 13, 2015 Emily rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I liked this book. Many of the short stories have the potential to be independent novels and I enjoyed most of them. Although, I have to say that there are some (very few) grammar mistakes and some of the stories were hard to follow. Overall, it is a good book filled with short stories that have the potential to become their own novels.
Lisa Lucas
Won in goodreads giveaway 12-29-14, received 01/12/2015. Review to follow
Natalie
Jan 18, 2013 Natalie rated it did not like it
couldn't get past the 2nd chapter. I tried
Cheyenne  Edgington
Cheyenne Edgington rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2013
Bizarro Fiction: Bizarro and SF Short Story Collection - Giveaway 1 18 Dec 28, 2012 08:16AM
  • The Oblivion Room: Stories of Violation
  • Shenanigans!
  • Crawl
  • The Infinite Battle
  • Voltaire's Excellent Adventure: The Broken Boarder
  • Creepy Christmas
  • Joe Vampire (Joe Vampire, #1)
  • Findesferas
  • Swarm (Book #1)
  • The Garden of Good and Evil Pancakes
  • Fistful of Reefer (Lost DMB Files #17)
  • Engraved on the Eye
  • Blue Into The Rip (Into The Rip #1)
  • Here Be Monsters: An Anthology of Monster Tales
  • A Postmodern Belch
  • A Very Coco Christmas (Prequel Short Story) (Coco Pinchard Series)
  • The Troll Garden: Short Stories
  • Understories
David writes satire and humor within a variety of genres. He writes the kind of stories that he'd like to see written and wants to give readers something special and reflective of the exciting times in which we live.

His short stories have appeared in Out of the Gutter, Escape Velocity and the Bizarro Press.Check out his poems at davidwallacefleming.com
More about David Wallace Fleming...