Start by marking “My Secret Life” as Want to Read:
My Secret Life

My Secret Life

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  27 ratings  ·  6 reviews
In this non-fiction story of struggle and grief, 'My Secret Life: A Memoir of Bulimia' details one teenager’s battle with Bulimia Nervosa. After two years of misery and depravity, Leanne Waters explores the development of her illness and looks closely at the psychological bedrock of this ambiguous disease. It is a first-hand account of a secret world that lurks behind clos ...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Maverick House

To ask other readers questions about My Secret Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Secret Life

Chris Thrall
I found this book to be exceptional, for so many reasons it's hard to express in this short piece.

Leanne's writing style is up there with the best - descriptive, articulate and richly metaphorical; the recall of her experience so detailed - as only the memory of someone who has been through extreme trauma can be.

Leanne takes you through the phases of bulimia, from the socio-psychological foundations of this condition - for example, the bullying at school - to the `fasting', `binging', `purging'
Marta
I got this book from the Goodreads giveaway and I have to admit that the first chapters were hard for me to go through. It was a bit like being lost in someone else's mind and not being able to follow through. I guess this is the result of Waters perfectly being able to paint on paper what was inside of her mind which at times can be hard to understand for someone who hasn't experienced what she went through.
I liked the second half of the book more and at that point it was hard for me to put it
Eva Brennan

Touched me as it's so wonderfully written.
Spook Harrison
Apr 24, 2014 Spook Harrison rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Spook by: Amazon
Shelves: memoirs
This book was a breath of fresh air after the past two (poor) memoirs I read. I loved Waters' ability to bring you into the drama of her life and her mind while at the same time retaining her somewhat formal voice. I loved it. I found her words very easy to relate to, and her account of the illness comprehensive. Very worth reading.
Jessica
This book got a little slow in the middle and again towards the end but over-all was well written. A sad story though and another book that makes me wish there were no bullies in the world.
Aahitagni Mukherjee
unnecessarily vulgar.no sensuality.sterotype eroticism.I got that on Goodreads as a 'Lolita'-type novel.but it's in no way comparable to 'lolita'.
اسية
اسية marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Camilla
Camilla marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Vampire Fruit
Vampire Fruit marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Hiroshi Miya
Hiroshi Miya marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Jon
Jon added it
Nov 19, 2014
Genoa
Genoa marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Lima
Lima marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Abigail
Abigail marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Sheryl
Sheryl marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Rachael Steil
Rachael Steil marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Thestralschwarz
Thestralschwarz is currently reading it
Apr 26, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Suzanne
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
  • Diary of an Exercise Addict
  • Restricted: A Novel of Half-Truths
  • Insatiable: A Young Mother's Struggle with Anorexia
  • Inside Out: Portrait of an Eating Disorder
  • Going Hungry: Writers on Desire, Self-Denial, and Overcoming Anorexia
  • Slim to None: A Journey Through the Wasteland of Anorexia Treatment
  • Losing It
  • The Mirror Lied: One Woman's 25-Year Struggle with Bulimia, Anorexia, Diet Pill Addiction, Laxative Abuse and Cutting.
  • More Than You Can Chew
  • The Stone Girl
  • Good Girls Do Swallow: The Darkly Comic True Story of How One Woman Stopped Hating Her Body
  • My Sister's Bones
  • Life Without Ed: How One Woman Declared Independence from Her Eating Disorder and How You Can Too
  • thinandbeautiful.com
  • The Hooker's Daughter
  • The Anorexia Diaries: A Mother and Daughter's Triumph Over Teenage Eating Disorders
  • Next to Nothing: A Firsthand Account of One Teenager's Experience with an Eating Disorder
  • Becoming Anna
Leanne Waters is an Irish writer and award-winning journalist in her early twenties. She studied English Literature at University College Dublin where she also worked as the Features Editor in the UCD University Observer and won the award for Journalism relating to Mental Health and Suicide Prevention at the 2011 National Student Media Awards. She has just been accepted for the MA course in Litera ...more
More about Leanne Waters...

“The barriers we face in life are so often the ones we create in our minds. As a child I couldn’t open that wooden gate because my body prevented me from doing so. As a teenager it seemed I couldn’t open that door because my mind held me hostage. The world that waited beyond it now was no longer one of safety or escape. Instead, I knew every time that I opened that door, it would be to a life of psychological insecurity and emotional entrapment. She - that cerebral leech who clung to all my thoughts - convinced me of this fact. Only with her could I find and maintain an asylum of mental armour” 12 likes
“My body had never felt so small or so fragile. In one sense, it was a moment of ecstasy and I was comforted with soft, almost compassionate, encouragement.

"Delicate," she said. The word imprinted on me like the cold before it. I was weak and going numb, but I was delicate. This is what I had wanted. I wanted to lose weight and retain some ounce of delicacy to resemble that of the spider-figured women I had seen in all those flashing images. Suddenly, the lack of strength displayed by my body was counterbalanced with a surging lease of mental satisfaction and might. As I lay in bed, buried under all my layers of clothes and bed sheets, the warmth still could not reach me. It was too late for that now and I didn’t care. I just wanted to sleep, basking in my success and enduring the cold until I could finally slip into a forgetful slumber.”
6 likes