Awakening (The Watchers, #1)

Awakening (The Watchers Trilogy #1)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  4,322 ratings  ·  427 reviews
Alone in snowy, remote Whistler village, Ana tries to build a new life since losing her parents. With a cozy condo, a sweet-faced bulldog and an evening job to leave the days free for the slopes, life slips into a great routine. If only she could shake the guilt for not remembering anything about her parents and banish the night terrors that haunt her every dream.
On a whi...more
Published September 27th 2011 by Purely Persistent

To ask other readers questions about Awakening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awakening

Prince of Wolves by Quinn LoftisUnEnchanted by Chanda HahnThe Fallen Star by Jessica SorensenHollowland by Amanda HockingThe Mind Readers by Lori Brighton
FREE Ebooks For Teens
6th out of 427 books — 801 voters
A Shade of Vampire by Bella ForrestStarshine by G.S. JennsenFarsighted by Emlyn ChandTell Me You Want Me by Amelia JamesA Demon Made Me Do It by Penelope King
Best of Little-Known Authors
13th out of 3,217 books — 3,097 voters

More lists with this book...

Giselle
EDIT NOTE 2/10/2012: I was told the author edited her books and improved the dialogue / added contractions etc. Take this in consideration when you read my review.

Ana has felt lonely her whole life - or what she remembers of it. Living the simple life and working at a local pub, she meets this family who makes her feel very strange and, for some reason, seems very familiar. She soon realizes they are not what they seem, and neither is she.

When I first started Awakening I was really drawn to th...more
Criss

This review may have some spoilers.

I read a lot of good reviews on this book. This review is not one of those. I stopped reading around page 85 and can't force myself to read any further.

First let's talk about the good thing. The idea is good. Children of good fallen angels watching over human kind. I even liked the idea behind some, I guess u can call it, reincarnating into a normal life to be found again by the families and reintroduced. Not a bad story.

The bad...the writing... The story doe...more
Kristen
Okay, I want to preface this with the fact that I have not finished this book. I am about 20% in, but the book is just so boring and dialogue so bad that I can't continue.

I was really hoping to get into the PLOT of the story and perhaps that would save the book for me - help me push through the rest of it. But 20% in and I have NO IDEA what the plot is. Other than her having some strange dreams.

The characters are not easy to grab hold of in this book. Everything feels so forced and juvenile tha...more
Annika Paxman
Awakening was certainly intriguing at first, and I still believe that that idea of the story itself has potential. With Ana alone in the world and suddenly being thrown into a world she never remembers and a family she has no recollection of. Unfortunately, the story quickly began to drag for me. Ana's constant musing about how blissfully wonderful her new family is quickly became redundant and tiresome as well as the "too perfect" interactions of the family members.

The most frustrating for me...more
H.Lee
Ana lives a lonely life. She only has one friend and no family to speak of. One night while working in the pub, a group of mysterious strangers turn her world upside down and what she finds is everything she has ever dreamed of, but at what cost?
This book really took me by surprise. I was not sure how much I would like it, but it turned out to be so much better than I had imagined!

The Family

I loved the fact that Ana had finally gotten the family that she deserved. I really enjoyed the times when...more
Maddi at megamad4books
So the story line is the typical angel story, she's an angel but she doesn't know and then she sees her soulmate and finds out who she really is and discovers her missing family. So here's the problem -

1. the whole book just doesn't seem at all genuine. The whole time Ana is being confronted with these extremely weird facts that would turn her world upside down but she remains completely casual about the whole thing. She should have seemed at least a little bit freaked out when suddenly a gorge...more
Melody McBride
Ugh. I can't even tell you how bad this book was. I didn't finish it, and I can count on one hand how many books I haven't read all the way through.

First were all the grammatical errors. Maybe it's because it was on my Kindle or something, but man. Spellings were off, indenting new paragraphs was off, ending sentences with the wrong punctuation... yeah. Not impressed. This girl must not have gotten an editor.

And then there was the main character. She was just so sickeningly sweet it made me want...more
Jessica
I honestly just didn't like this book at all. The characters are hollow, and the plot line weak. The love story was unconvincing, and I almost felt like I had missed a book- you know, the one describing how and why they love each other? All the interesting points felt like they were stuck there on purpose, with nothing but filler in between. It just didn't flow very well. I got a little over 50% done before I gave up on it. It's VERY young adult, in spite of the ages of the characters... (immort...more
Darkfallen
I would say that this is more of a 3.5 stars. I really wish Goodreads would give in and add the half star option. Lol

Ana has spent her whole life alone. She lost her family so young that she doesn't really remember them or what it's like to have a family period. Always feeling a bit hollow inside and having trouble ever trusting anyone enough to get close to them has left her not really having many friends. In fact since she moved to the quiet ski town of Whistle she has only made one "kinda" fr...more
Cari
This was .99 on the Nook Color, but I'm hesitant to suggest it even for a fun read. The beginning was fine - interesting concept, girl who has no family/connections and meets a strange family. However, the book spiraled down quickly - there were few action scenes, and those that existed were resolved quickly and with little conflict (with the exception of one scene at the end.)

Athen was much too perfect to be realistic. The controlling aspect of his nature (watching her, telling her not to leave...more
Melody
Honestly this book strted out with promise it opened with a great dream sequence that really set some pace for action and mystery then enters the "strangers at the bar" and to be completely honest it went down hill REALLY fast!! How does an intreverted, semi paranoid loaner go to a love sick puppy following this guy and his family EVERYWHERE with no hesitation?? And what gets me the most is she knows hes keeping things from him and shes all good with that even though every thought process she ha...more
Maria
OK, this was only a 2 because the concept is so intriguing. If not for that, this was a solid 1 star book.

First, the good:
-Unique concept (girl with no family finds out she's actually a Fallen Angel/Good Demon)
-The setup for the next in the series was pretty decent, but could have used some work.
-It was free for my Kindle app.

That's all I've got for the good. Now for the not-so-good:
-I know the character is supposed to be young, 20 or there about, but she was more whiney than Bella Swan on her w...more
Erika
Title: The Awakening
Author: Karice Bolton
Publisher: Purely Persistent
Number of Pages: 320
Date of Release: September 27th, 2011
Summary From Goodreads:

Danielle (Bookwhoreblog) Perez
This novel follows a woman named Ana on her path of falling in love with what appears to be a stranger named Athen. As Ana gets to know Athen she soon learns they have known each other forever, and have already been in love before. Ana and Athen are children of the fallen angels, and together they must get Ana fully awakened in order to continue saving people from sin. This is book 1 in The Watchers Trilogy and I have to say it is a good opening book, but I am more excited about the follow up bo...more
Tt (Never Ending Stories Book Blog)
Rating: 4.5

For starters I received this book from the author Karice Bolton as a read to review. It was really nice of her to take the time out and actually send me the printed copy and to also sign it for me as well which was a real treat! :)

My synopsis: (view spoiler)...more
Pamela
This book was painful to get through. I kept hoping it would get better, but it just let too many things unexplained (like "phasing" of fallen white demons is such a critical part of the story, but it's never really explained, how it works or what the "awakening" process actually is). It was just a really muddled, convoluted story with gaping holes that really require explanation for the reader to understand.

I agree a previous reviewer that the romance was really unbelievable, the chemistry seem...more
Tara
I love Awakening for the very reason I've read that some people don't like it and that is the detail. I've always preferred books where the author takes the time to describe the little things. For instance, when Ana is dogsledding I loved it! I've never been, but I feel like I've done it now. The snow on the ground, icicles on the trees, all things that I think added to the story, were described beautifully. I was completely immersed in the lives of these characters and I think a lot of that had...more
Diayll
Mar 02, 2012 Diayll rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Books with Angels and Demons, Paranormal Romance, Urban Fantasy
Shelves: read-by-heather
Originally Reviewed at: Mother/Gamer/Writer
Rating: 5 out of 5 Controllers
Review Source: Author
Reviewer: Heather

Awakening is the first part of The Watcher’s Trilogy where we meet a young woman named Ana. She works as a waitress in a resort town, but has no knowledge of her past accept a handful of newspaper clippings. Ana is frequented with disturbing nightmares that haunt her, no, torment her to no end. She knows not why these dreams occur until Athen enters into her life.

Athen, nor his family,...more
Happyreads
Awakening was a wonderful first intro into the trilogy. I loved the idea of memory loss, long lost loves reuniting, and the quietly building battles erupting here and there throughout the story. I LOVED the sweetness between Athen and Ana. The author wrote with great detail, which is something that I really appreciate in a book. There were a few times that it slowed the story down, but it would pick up again and I would plop back in their world. Learning about Ana’s history and watching the supp...more
Vicky (Books, Biscuits, and Tea)
My original review was posted at http://www.booksbiscuitsandtea.com/20...

All in all, Awakening was a good read and an interesting start of a new trilogy. What made me interested in the story in the first place was its mysteriousness, the fact that Ana (the main character) meets this guy but she feels like she already knows him. I was looking forward to finding out what happened and in this respect, the story didn't disappoint me.

What I like about this book most was the fact that Ana asks the exa...more
Emily
This book was not bad, but I was a little disappointed with the lack of action and adventure. I liked that the paranormal aspect was not the current norm (as in this book is not about vampires and werewolves). However, the book bordered on the romance novel line a little too much for me, I wanted to know more about the battle between dark and light and started to get annoyed with the romance.

About half way through the book, I had to push myself to keep reading because the story just didn’t hold...more
Once Upon
Ana is alone in life and lives in a small village with her adorable bulldog Matilda. She has constant night terrors and doesn't know what to do about it. Then while working in a small pub some customers come in that change her life. She finally feels like she belongs somewhere and she is alive in life. Ana meets Athen and family. Let me just say Athen is adorable and I love everything about him, he is slightly secretive, but for the good of Ana. Hes a very chivalrous man, and the way they show i...more
Home. Love. Books.
To read this review and more like it please check out my site www.ufreviews.com

So unfortunately I haven't been able to read nearly as much as a like, so for that reason alone I was excited to get back to reading with this book. And what's more is I always like a tale about fallen angels, there are so many different takes on the concept it's so much fun to try and figure out how the author envisions their characters.

The basic plot of this book centers mainly around Ana and Athen. Ana is a white d...more
Krystal
Ana has no memory of her past, but when she meets a certain family, she feels a strong connection. When Ana learns bits and pieces of her past, a whole world opens up for her. The Nephilim is a mystery that the reader will enjoy learning about and creates a backdrop for a unique plot the reader will love getting into. Ana doesn't seem to have a lot of love in her life until Athen. Athen sweeps her off of her feet and doesn't set her back down on Earth. Their romance is cute and sweet, the reader...more
Jenn
Hmmm being the first of the series I thought it was more about character building. I think so many words were used to describe the surroundings rather thAn feelings. I found that each scene didn't feel as engaging as it could've been. The love they have for each other I know is great but I didnt feel it.

And there could have been a deeper reason for Athen to make Ana wait for their much awaited love making than just because he wanted it to be later rather than sooner. Maybe he was waiting for so...more
Kayla Eklund
I loved Awakening. At first, I thought it was going to be a Twilight copycat. I couldn’t have been more wrong. It was nothing like Twilight, which is a good thing. Awakening is about a woman named Ana. She works at Grizzly Pub as a waitress. One night, Athen and his family come into the pub. She is immediately attracted to them but can’t figure out why. The plot was great. It kept me turning pages until the very end. I was definitely surprised by what Athen and his family revealed to Ana. It was...more
Kathleen
I found this book very slow paced & I have to admit that this is another one that I just didn't have the desire to finish although I made it well past the half way mark. The prose is very repetitive with not really much happening in the story line. The dialogue between the characters sounds very juvenile...the number of times the main character started a sentence with "Huh" really drove me crazy! This was a very disappointing read. The synopsis intrigued me and this could have been a good bo...more
Erin
I use to not want to admit that I read YA fiction sometimes. It's books like this though that remind me why I like these books so much. It didn't take a long time to read, and it was entertaining. A lot of the time that is exactly what I'm looking for. I didn't want to put this book down.

I did not notice any of the editing problems I saw mentioned in other reviews so either I just wasn't paying good enough attention or the author has done some updating.

As of the date I'm writing this review (3...more
Antoinette
I received this book from the author through the goodreads book giveaway. So thank you to the author:) I have to say that for a first book this is really good. I love the idea and the twist she has put on fallen angels. It is different than the typical boy meets girl books which I liked. I look forward to reading the next book. This book could be enjoyed by teenagers and adults.
Eileen
The story has an interesting premise and, I think, some potential. And I liked the characters, for the most part. That having been said, I was so frustrated reading this book.

For one thing, the author needs a thesaurus. I told a friend that I could make a drinking game out of reading this book and take a sip of wine every time the words "incredible", "amazing", or "gorgeous" were used; I'd be drunk within the first 30 pages. It started to grate.

Dialogue needed some help. Yes, some of it was true...more
What do you think of Karice Bolton's Awakening? 7 33 Mar 16, 2013 02:19PM
Book Giveaways: Awakening by Karice Bolton 1 9 Nov 28, 2011 06:07PM
Book Giveaways: Awakening by Karice Bolton 1 5 Nov 28, 2011 06:04PM
Creative Reviews: The Watchers Trilogy: Awakening -YA UF/Par Rom Review Request 33 44 Nov 25, 2011 08:51PM
  • Earth (Elemental, #1)
  • Birthrights (The Awakening Trilogy #1)
  • Marked (Soul Guardians, #1)
  • Sojourner (Sojourner, #1)
  • Raven (The Raven Saga, #1)
  • Night Marchers (Night Marchers, #1)
  • Become (Desolation, #1)
  • The Fate of Destiny (Fates, #1)
  • Meeting Destiny (Destiny, #1)
  • Sacred Bloodlines (The Sacred Guardians, #1)
  • Bound (Arelia LaRue, #1)
  • A Chance for Charity (The Immortal Ones, #1)
  • Meant to Be (The Saving Angels, #1)
  • Glimpse (Zellie Wells, #1)
  • Coexist (Keegan's Chronicles, #1)
  • Tempest (Destroyers, #1)
  • Starfire Angels (Starfire Angels: Dark Angel Chronicles, #1)
  • Twin Souls (Twin Souls, #1)
Karice Bolton is a Young Adult/New Adult author living in the Pacific Northwest.

Titles include:

RecruitZ
AlibiZ - Coming Soon

The Camp

The Watchers Trilogy
Taken Novella (A Watchers prequel)
Awakening (Book 1)
Legions (Book 2)
Cataclysm(Book...more
More about Karice Bolton...
Legions (The Watchers, #2) Cataclysm (The Watchers, #3) Lonely Souls (Witch Avenue, #1) Beyond Control (Beyond Love, #1) Altered Souls (Witch Avenue, #2)

“Is my timing impeccable or what?” 8 likes
“I didn’t know what the future or the past held for me, but I was truly invigorated.” 3 likes