Start by marking “Are You a Cow?” as Want to Read:
Are You a Cow?

Are You a Cow?

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  728 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Embrace identity with this brand-new board book from the beloved and bestselling Sandra Boynton!

Are you a COW?
Are you a DOG?
Are you a DUCK?
Are you a FROG?
A clever chicken narrates a playful inquiry in this charming and hilarious story perfect for Boynton fans new and old. As readers answer the chicken’s questions, they’ll gain animal recognition skills as well as an imp
Board Book, 16 pages
Published May 1st 2012 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about Are You a Cow?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Are You a Cow?

The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Moo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra Boynton
Books for two-year-old children
44th out of 276 books — 218 voters
Life is a Circus Run by a Platypus by Allison HawnGo the Fuck to Sleep by Adam MansbachAll My Friends Are Dead by Avery MonsenF U, Penguin by Matthew GasteierAnother Bullshit Night in Suck City by Nick Flynn
Books that just have cool titles
63rd out of 310 books — 106 voters

More lists with this book...

Sara!
Jun 24, 2012 Sara! rated it it was amazing
One of the most epic books of our generation.
Rarely does an author come along who so thoroughly captures the hearts, minds, and souls of her time that there is no possible way to go back.
Life is forever altered by this brilliant prose.

Jennifer Ferrell
Apr 28, 2015 Jennifer Ferrell rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up quite certain that I was not, in fact, a cow. I mean, I have my days but I know better than to call myself a bovine. The book not only helped me and the friend I shared the book with decide that we were not cows but eliminated a whole zoo's worth of other species too. A page turner and one I highly recommend for anyone confused about what they are.
midnightfaerie
Jun 26, 2013 midnightfaerie rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
I, myself, love Sandra Boynton, but my kids seem to get bored easily with her. I think many of her illustrations that I love, look alike to the kids and so it's hard to distinguish between the books, even with content. This one they remembered because of the animal sounds I made to accompany the pictures. Overall a cute book, but not one we'll read again.
Modboy
Jan 25, 2013 Modboy rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Aunt Joan for Eliza.
I wasn't really impressed. Most of Boynton's books have a whimsical, lyrical quality but this one doesn't. Although toddlers can certainly relate to the word "No" it's not really something I necessary want them repeating over and over again as the book does.
mbright
Jan 22, 2015 mbright rated it did not like it
I'm not a penguin upside-down. I'm a full grown man reading this garbage.
Rachael
Jul 15, 2014 Rachael rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1kbbk
Everyone strongly suggests Boynton books when you're looking for books for babies or toddlers, but I think it's time I realize that they are not for us. This is the 4th one we've checked out and I still feel like I must be reading the wrongs ones. The illustrations remind me of greeting cards and the animals are so hard to distinguish from each other that my son is bored by them too. The text in some of the other books we've read contains charming rhymes but there are so many better books out th ...more
Theresa Love
Jul 23, 2013 Theresa Love rated it liked it
Poised with his beak opened wide, a bossy chicken demands your attention as soon as you open the book.

"Hey! I’m a chicken. Yes, it’s true. Tell me! Tell me! What are you?"

Boynton cleverly introduces a different animal on each page. This question and answer format will help your little ones with animal recognition and encourages feedback. The questions appear in regular sized type and the answers are in a tiny font, which guarantees a high low rhythmic sound.

"Are you a cow? No. Are you a dog? No.
Chantale Pard
Sep 02, 2014 Chantale Pard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, board-books
This book is extra special to me because I bought the personalized copy for my niece, so it's called "Are You An Ava?" at their house, and includes a few pictures of her, too. It's chewed up but quite well loved,and was well worth the (high) expense! A book they'll definitely keep forever, like an old well-loved blankie. As with all of Boynton's books, the illustrations are adorable and the rhymes and beats are spot on and fun.
Erin
Aug 22, 2012 Erin rated it liked it
Repetition is the name of the game for toddlers. And what better word to repeat than their favorite - no (parents read: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! NONONO!).

This isn't the cleverest of Sandra Boynton's books, nor is it particularly rhymey, but it does include her signature bright, fun animal characters and some playful teasing. The chicken narrator asks a series of questions - are you a dog? are you a cow? - that are easy to follow for toddlers and gives them the opportunity to respond. My 2-year-ol
Robert Beveridge
Aug 21, 2013 Robert Beveridge rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished, cle-pub-lib
Sandra Boynton, Are You a Cow? (Simon and Schuster, 2012)

I'm not sure I can, or need to, give you any more of a recommendation than this. The bean, an inveterate Boynton fanatic, has never asked me to read a Boynton book more than once in a row until tonight. Are You a Cow? Got read three full times before I was allowed to put it down. If that doesn't qualify as the Bean Stamp of Approval, I don't know what does. From my perspective, it's a rather slight thing, but fun to read and just as adept
Meg McGregor
Apr 01, 2014 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
A great book to introduce the idea of identity and uniqueness to your little ones!
Fun text and whimsical drawings make this book one your little one will laugh and laugh at and want to hear over and over again!
Katherine Cowley
Jun 24, 2012 Katherine Cowley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, humor
This is THE book to read to your baby/toddler once she has learned to say the word "No," because she will love to read along.

Each page of the book has fun, standard Boynton illustrations of animals, with a question: "Are you a cow?" "Are you a lamb?" etc. And then the answer, of course, is "No." I only had to read the book once and my 16-month daughter caught on--now she reads half of it for me. I say, "Are you a duck?" pointing at the picture, and she says "no!" On some animals she says, "NO,
Aletheia Ubben
Sep 28, 2015 Aletheia Ubben rated it really liked it
Sandra Boynton strikes me as irrepressibly random and good-humored. Her books are great fun for adults to read to their little people, which enriches the experience on both sides. This is no exception.
Meredith
May 25, 2016 Meredith rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Sandra Boynton is the best. This book is super cute, and the parents loved it. The babies didn't really care so much, but they mostly never care about the book, so it works out.
Purple Iris
Dec 29, 2015 Purple Iris rated it did not like it
Very disappointed in this one. Hippos Go Berserk! is one of my favorites!
Leslie
Dec 02, 2015 Leslie rated it it was amazing
Reading this book with my son has developed into a very cute routine. We can do it without the book now, as it's pretty easy text to remember. He just loves this book and so do I!
Troy
Dec 06, 2014 Troy rated it really liked it
Another great book that engages the reader/toddler. I enjoy my daughter reactions to the questions. It also tries to build self worth and talking about how special being you is.
Michelle Gray
Rose just smiled while we read this one! I definitely want to copy and enlarge the pages so I can use this in my family story Time!

Theme: animals
Joy
Mar 25, 2015 Joy rated it liked it
This is a deilghtful little board book where the author asks if you are various animals. My four year old is fond of it recently.
Amanda
Jun 17, 2015 Amanda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: toddler
I love Sandra Boynton. I love the smooth colors she uses and her illustrations. Sawyer likes to help me "read" this one.
Katie Gonzalez
Dec 25, 2014 Katie Gonzalez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
I'm going to love reading this to my toddlers and young preschool.
Alicia
Feb 18, 2016 Alicia rated it really liked it
And this is how Noelle learned how to say "no"......
Sherri Anderson
Great book for any preschooler!
Miranda Geurin
May 14, 2016 Miranda Geurin rated it it was amazing
one of the cutest books ever
Ruth Ann
Mar 31, 2015 Ruth Ann rated it really liked it
Very cute - who are you?
Heidi
Perfect book to read to a little one. The Q&A will engage them, as will Boynton illustrations. This could work very well in a toddler storytime. Of course, it's in board book format which wouldn't work well in a large group, but there are still possibilities.

10/14/13: Perfect for the young ones I'm getting in Movement storytime. Even though the board book is small, the crowd isn't huge and I'm standing--so making sure everyone sees it isn't too hard.
Joanne
Dec 10, 2012 Joanne rated it it was amazing
Perfect for about age 2-3. Asks in verse whether or not the child is a particular animal throughout the book. I field-tested it with a sunny two-year-old, who looked at me with wide eyes as I read, and answered solemnly, "No" to each page.

Me: "Are you a cow?"
Two-year-old: "No." (With the clear subtext of, "Who IS this crazy lady?" until he caught on to the game.)

I was snorting aloud by the end. So of course we read it again.
Jack
Aug 06, 2015 Jack added it
Read tally: 3 as of 8/6/15
Drew Graham
Jun 16, 2015 Drew Graham rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
What are you? Probably not a cow or a duck or a hippo if you're reading this book.

Time for another string of Sandra Boynton book reviews! This one is nice and short (the book and the review), and is already a big hit with The Boy. It has a lot of fun animals in quick succession, and he likes saying "YOU" at the end. It's not one of her top best, but it was a good library find.
Lindsey
Jan 29, 2013 Lindsey rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, kid1, baby
Another great entry by Boynton. This one is a bit short without the bouncing rhymes of her other works. Has the trademark illustrations and a nice message about being you. Very appropriate for toddlers who will enjoy the back and forth dialogue of "are you a..." and "no!".
  • Yawn
  • You Are My Cupcake
  • This Little Chick
  • Bunny My Honey
  • All of Baby, Nose to Toes
Sandra Keith Boynton is a popular American humorist, songwriter, children's author and illustrator. Boynton has written and illustrated more than forty books for both children and adults, as well as over four thousand greeting cards, and four music albums. Although she does not license her characters to be redrawn or adapted, she has herself designed—for various companies—calendars, wallpaper, bed ...more
More about Sandra Boynton...