Start by marking “The Animal Bridegroom” as Want to Read:
The Animal Bridegroom

The Animal Bridegroom

4.47 of 5 stars 4.47  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Playing with genre and form, this poetry collection evokes afantastical dream world asmyth intersects with reality inverse.Themes ofrole reversal, shape-shifting, and gender-bending occur throughout, giving a feminist edge to this collection of poemsrepletewith dark humor—as well as an unexpected ending. Whether running with the wolves, or sleeping with them, the poet uses ...more
Published January 1st 2007 by Tightrope Books, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Animal Bridegroom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Animal Bridegroom

Michèle
I could present _The Animal Bridegroom_ as Fairy tales revisited with a twist, but it would not be enough. Sandra's poetry is never boring, always fleet on its feet, as a sprite vanishing in the woods.

So I will pluck a few of my favorites and put them, not into tigh boxes with lid attached, but on loosely separates piles that any breeze can shatter.

Fairy tale revisited: The Swan maiden's tale (sad), Chaos theory, The Gretel papers (very moving)

Humor: After the flood, A Daughter's a Daughter

St
Tone
Jul 09, 2010 Tone rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
After I finished The Animal Bridegroom I figured that there had to be something wrong because I liked it.

Poetry and I don't get along. I don't read epic fantasy anymore because of all the damn poems. That's probably why I don't like elves, because every time one showed up in the Lord of the Rings it turned into a spam.

But I understood and liked every poem in this book and I never had to read one twice. And that, to me, makes this the best book of poetry out there.
Cameo
I only enjoy a handful of poets, but this one astonished me from the first moment I read the few poems the author put on her website [http://sandrakasturi.com/]. Her poems are witty and reminicent of fairytales, love stories, and the saturday morning cartoons we watched when we were small.

This is highly recommended to everyone- take a look at her poems on her site- if you like them even a little, you should try her book.
Gemma Files
Sandra Kasturi's poetry is the very definition of mythic--she both riffs off existing stories from every culture and creates her own. Her voice is intimate yet declarative, as smoky and relentless on the page as it is in person. Gorgeous stuff.
Miriam
Nov 11, 2012 Miriam marked it as to-read
Recommended to Miriam by: Michael Stewart
Shelves: poetry, library-lack
The Burning Woman

Listen!
You can hear her pale voice
from within the conflagration.
It always speaks truth.
It always lies.
She crackles like marrow-bone
when she walks.
Her eyes and mouth open
and burn like magnesium.
She is a contrary Gorgon;
everything she looks at
is forced into frenzied life.
If you are very lucky
and can run after her
until she catches you,
you can put her in a canning jar
to hold in the air:

a blaze of fireflies
to light the darkness.
Meghan
Jan 19, 2008 Meghan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: poetry lovers, Neil Gaiman fans, fairytale fans
One of the most marvelous collections of poetry from a contemporary writer. I wish this wasn't her only book! Kasturi's poems are full of whimsy and a sense of the surreal, yet remain deeply emotionally affecting. This book rarely leaves my bedside table, so often do I find myself picking it up to reread a piece.

My favorite: The Stars As Seen From Alberta.
Lara
I really enjoyed this wee volume of Canadian poetry. You can read a short post I wrote for PopMatters, here. I love that the forward is by Neil Gaiman for this book.
Elizabeth
A fantastic collection of fairytale poetry.

Deb, I'm making James buy this for me and then I'll lend it to you, cause you'll love it!
Sandra Kasturi
Feb 23, 2010 Sandra Kasturi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
I think it's a pretty good book. : )
Orion Zangara
Orion Zangara marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2014
Beth
Beth added it
Apr 22, 2014
Elsa María
Elsa María marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Kristen Smith
Kristen Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
L. Alexandra
L. Alexandra marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Kaitlin
Kaitlin marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
Kath
Kath marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2013
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2013
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2013
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2013
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Author of The Animal Bridegroom (Tightrope Books; introduction by Neil Gaiman). Co-Publisher of ChiZine Publications. Co-organizer of the Toronto SpecFic Colloquium and the Chiaroscuro Reading Series. Founder of the CZP/Rannu Fund for Writers of Speculative Literature. Co-editor (with Halli Villegas) of the yearly series Imaginarium: Best Canadian Speculative Writing. Founding member of the Algonq ...more
More about Sandra Kasturi...
Imaginarium 2012: The Best Canadian Speculative Writing Come Late to the Love of Birds Imaginarium: The Best Canadian Speculative Writing The Stars as Seen from This Particular Angle of Night: An Anthology of Speculative Verse Wind and Glass