Start by marking “Somebody Else: Arthur Rimbaud in Africa 1880-91” as Want to Read:
Somebody Else: Arthur Rimbaud in Africa 1880-91

Somebody Else: Arthur Rimbaud in Africa 1880-91

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  82 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
At the age of twenty-five, Arthur Rimbaud—the infamous author of A Season in Hell, the pioneer of modernism, the lover and destroyer of Verlaine, the "hoodlum poet" celebrated a century later by Bob Dylan and Jim Morrison—turned his back on poetry, France, and fame, for a life of wandering in East Africa.

In this compelling biography, Charles Nicholl pieces together the sha
Published May 15th 1999 by University Of Chicago Press (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Somebody Else, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Somebody Else

AC
Apr 18, 2014 AC rated it liked it

A brilliant child and a poetic genius, Rimbaud was a true prodigy who flared incandescently ("plus libre que les plus libres", as Verlaine said of him) for literally but half a decade (1870-1875), before burning himself out in a luminous epiphany of sexual and poetic debauchery.

Whereupon, after a few years of wandering about Europe (often on foot), he hurled himself, in what Nicholl calls "a sort of doomed existential adventure", into the very ends of the earth -- the desert wastes of
John
May 14, 2014 John rated it really liked it
A very interesting book, I would say. It's a mix of biographical narrative through which Nicholl interweaves reflections on the possibility of realizing a "complete and accurate" biography of anyone as well as bits and pieces of a memoir of his research and the writing of this particular volume. I find this sort of biographical work highly satisfying if for no other reason than than it forces the reader to confront and acknowledge a very simple fact - that a biography that pretends to "objectivi ...more
G
Jan 09, 2015 G rated it really liked it
Nicholl produces much information and perspective on Arthur Rimbaud's later years based on what seems to be scarce, dubious, and otherwise limited (letters to mother and sister, 19th century business information tech, etc.) primary sources.

One trouble with this, on my reading, was the license Nicholl took (maybe less than a dozen times in the text) to embellish with a kind of giddy speculation and sentimentality. While it certainly seems natural? reasonable? absolutely expected? to interpret la
Zuberino
Simply magnificent. Nicholl is a brilliant writer, a tenacious investigator, and a sensitive interpreter of Rimbaud's life and works. The 200 pages that recreate Rimbaud's African years are frequently revelatory and always evocative in their details. This is literary biography of the highest calibre: perceptive, insightful, sympathetic and, yes, personal. The final pages soar off into a kind of doomed poetry that Arthur himself would have appreciated. A wonderful book.
Tony Glover
Jan 31, 2015 Tony Glover rated it really liked it
Charles Nicholl shapes often quite sparse material into such a readable form. His book about the murder of Christopher Marlowe, The Reckoning, is one of my favourite books. This book, Somebody Else, is about the last years of French poet Arthur Rimbaud. He had given up literature and gone to Africa to earn money.
Though this is a very enjoyable read, the personality of Rimbaud is hard to embrace - he's truculent, careless of his friends and seems driven by a incessant desire to keep moving. Rimb
Eddie Watkins
Oct 09, 2014 Eddie Watkins rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
Charles Nicholl is my favorite investigative biographer/historian, not that I really know that many. He loves to pick a juicy but ambiguous subject and then do some serious figurative & literal leg-work to fill in the story's gaps with plausible speculation. As a stylist he is exceedingly sensitive and at times while reading his books my eyes will drop into a particular description of something so minor yet so lovingly executed that flickers of heightened perceptions will smolder in my brain ...more
Denis Lejeune
Jan 20, 2016 Denis Lejeune rated it it was amazing
Awesome achievement of a book. Superb sense of place and a great musing on a side (and time) of Rimbaud that is never explored or dealt at length with.

I will definitely re-read it one day.
DoctorM
Jul 10, 2010 DoctorM rated it really liked it
Everyone remembers Rimbaud the punk poet, and every black-clad teen in the last fifty years has had a copy of "Season in Hell" there on the nightstand. Chas. Nicholl gives us Rimbaud the quarry foreman, the disappointed photographer, the gunrunner, the gaunt expat with the Abyssinian housekeeper/concubine, the merchant with a keen eye for cutting costs. "Somebody Else" is that long, forgotten second act of Rimbaud's life--- the boy from Charleville who disavowed his past (Verlaine, poetry, bohem ...more
Electric-guitar
Jul 27, 2016 Electric-guitar rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Absolutely NOT
Recommended to Electric-guitar by: Myself
Shelves: biography, history, poetry
I purchased this biography after seen the film Total Eclipse Total Eclipse (film) with Paul Verlaine (David Thewlis) and Arthur Rimbaud (Leonardo DiCaprio).

I was looking forward to the read. I stopped reading when I got to page 30. I absolutely could not stand the fact that this book had so much French words/sentences/phrases. And the style of writing, it did not agree with me. I developed a headache.
Steve
Nov 28, 2011 Steve rated it liked it
Read a bit like a puzzle trying to be solved, enjoyable and certainly alot of effort put into the research. I was interested in the day to day life, Rimbo's favourite meal for eg., which was a bit sketchy.
Nathalie
Jan 12, 2009 Nathalie rated it liked it
What becomes of Rimbaud when he abandons poetry? It's not pretty AT ALL, as this incredibly well researched and fascinating book proves.
dominique
dominique marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Derek Leedy
Derek Leedy marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Damián Bonet
Damián Bonet marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2016
Byron
Byron marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
eclat
eclat marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Jonathan Williams
Jonathan Williams marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Zuzanna
Zuzanna marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Kristina
Kristina rated it it was ok
May 29, 2016
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Chester
Chester marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
César Acevedo
César Acevedo is currently reading it
Feb 11, 2016
Marco Sán Sán
Marco Sán Sán marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Kris
Kris rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Karina
Karina marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2015
Blake Phoenix
Blake Phoenix marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2015