Start by marking “Opal Moonbaby” as Want to Read:
Opal Moonbaby

Opal Moonbaby

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Martha's decided friends are stupid. Especially if they're anything like Colette and Chloe. She never wants another friend. Ever.

But it's the first day of the summer holidays, and there's not that much to do... until she spots a strange little furry creature who leads her to Opal Moonbaby. Opal's been sent down from her planet on a mission: to work out what on earth people...more
Published January 1st 2012 by Orion Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Opal Moonbaby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Opal Moonbaby

Serendipity Reviews
Who can resist this delightful, quirky, entertaining book which brings new words and phrases to our vocabulary, such as scoff capsules, hydrophones, swimbats and fantariums. Opal Moonbaby is one of the most charming children's books that I have read in a long time. It definitely had an old school feel about it, reminding me of the classics from my childhood.

As soon as Opal stepped out of her spaceship I found her adorable. Her zany and vibrant behaviour would brighten anyone's life. I found mys...more
Beth Kemp
This warm and quirky book will appeal to many girls, whilst avoiding some of the more obvious girliness that is sometimes seen on the shelves for this age group (and which puts off my 8yo; I'm sure there are others like her).

Martha is a brilliantly written character: easy to relate to and well-rounded. What's impressive and effective about this debut is that the other characters are also efficiently drawn and clearly differentiated. Martha and her brother are good kids, shown through their conce...more
LH Johnson
Opal Moonbaby reads a little like Pippi Longstocking meets Dodie Smith (I was very much reminded of I Capture the Castleand The Starlight Barking for example) with a sprinkle of Jacqueline Wilson-esque social commentary thrown in for good measure.

I really enjoyed this. It's got a certain almost old-fashioned charm to it that makes you fall for Opal and Martha and root for them to become friends. It feels like a modern day fairy tale / sci-fi spin on something like the Famous Five - and that's q...more
Book Angel Emma
Guest Review by Seren Year 5

I really liked that this story was about a girl who comes to Earth wanting to make a friend. So cute. The alien girl is called Opal Moonbaby, in her attempt to make a friend she gets stuck in some really funny situations.

I giggled my way through this book and really looked forward to reading time before bed as I knew I could read more of this brilliant story. My favorite part was when Opal kept talking about Mr Tickle Bump (you have to read it lol). My favorite chara...more
Tara
Good book. Do not judge by front cover!
Victoria
A heartwarming story of friendship that transcends all ages. Most people know the feeling of falling out with friends or when a new student changes the dynamics of a friendship group - especially as chidren. Maudie Smith has conveyed those feelings beautifully in this 9 year old character and with a large dose of humour and imagination - every little girl will love Opal Moonbaby!
A delightful, fanciful read that my 10-year brought to me and said "Mom, you need to read this". Opal Moonbaby is a visitor from another planet who befreinds a young Earth girl. It is fun to read how Opal tries to understand Earth life.
Maitha
CUte fantasy book for preteens. I'm sure my girl will like it. It talks about losing friends and making new ones, even if they are quirky. It was a fun read.
t4truffles
It is really funny how Opal doesn't know anything about Earth.
I also like Garnet, her mingle (special pet for aliens)
Tjala
Apr 12, 2012 Tjala rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: maia
Recommended to Tjala by: Michelle
A cute little book, that is funny at times annd just plain weird at otheers!
Keyla
hate friends lol
Kelly HamsterLibrarian
Kelly HamsterLibrarian marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Tulip17
Tulip17 marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Nevey Badr
Nevey Badr marked it as to-read
May 08, 2013
Piers
Piers marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2013
Nisha Khatnani
Nisha Khatnani marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2013