Start by marking “Rumors of Water: Thoughts on Creativity & Writing” as Want to Read:
Rumors of Water: Thoughts on Creativity & Writing

Rumors of Water: Thoughts on Creativity & Writing

An Annie Dillard-style writing book that follows the writer's life as much as her philosophy about creativity and writing. Aspiring and accomplished writers will find a place to breathe, in both the memoir-stories and tips that seamlessly address major aspects of creative life-from inspiration to individual voice; from helpful habits, networking and publishing, to reasons ...more
Published August 28th 2011 by T.S. Poetry Press

To ask other readers questions about Rumors of Water, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rumors of Water

Joy Lenton
May 03, 2016 Joy Lenton rated it really liked it
If you enjoy memoir and tips on writing, then this book offers both in a way that blends life and art seamlessly. I found the memoir style gently inviting and the helpful hints about writing were ones I could easily assimilate for future use. The author shares her family life and activities, mainly around meals, outings, nature, and the challenges and joys of home schooling.
We witness her nurturing seeds of creativity in her daughters, much as she tends to the plants in her garden plot. They're
A friend of mine recommended this book to me. It's a publish-as-it's-ordered book, which made me think it was going to come to me as a mimeographed chapbook or something. But it's a regular, good old, bound book. At first, I was put off a bit. The author reflects on her experiences with her children and relates them to writing (I believe she's mainly a poet). Sort of like object lessons for children in the middle of a church service. You bring in some pedestrian object to show the children, such ...more
Oct 13, 2011 Deanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The author weaves in her wisdom and advice on writing while engaging the reader in her life---especially her life with her girls. She teaches by doing what she is teaching. Is that not the best way to learn? Even if you don't write with same voice as the author, I think anyone who writes will agree with most of her insights and enjoy her creativity in sharing them. I personally enjoyed the stories of her interactions with her girls---the way she teaches them as they live their lives. A book to p ...more
Aug 01, 2012 Lexanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All writers and artists.
Shelves: writing, favorites
This is such a lovely book. It doesn't "teach" in the way a classroom teacher would expect. Steps and rules and rights and wrongs. As a classroom teacher, I believe we need to break of these confining boxes. We need to read books such as "Rumors of Water" to experience what real writing is and how we can obtain joy from place our words on a page.

L.L. Barkat is a poet and her words inspire. She shares all. It is they way we should write.
Jan 24, 2012 Tim rated it really liked it
Rumors of Water is a gentle book on writing, offering the author's short chapters reflecting on "home educating" her two girls as writers and how these experiences inform the larger creative process and the nature of writing. No hidden mysteries just a book that is simple and enjoyable to read and, in the end, wise.
Jan 15, 2013 Erin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry-poetics
I love this book. It's one that's on my re-read lists. Barkat has a way of writing that is just...yes, yes, yes. Some of it may be due to her relationship with poetry. Another part of it may be her thoughts on God, family, and her role as a writer.
Dec 20, 2011 Luanne rated it liked it
A woman who is a writer and home schools her children writes some lessons on writing and life. Some very good parts, a little bit on the light side for me as far as content goes.
JoDee Luna
Jul 25, 2014 JoDee Luna rated it it was amazing
L.L. Barkat will stir up your desire for spiritual things. A great read if you are wanting to go deeper with God.
Apr 28, 2012 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
See my review at Englewood Review of Books
Jan 04, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful and Deep, though seemingly simple to read. I thoroughly enjoyed each short chapter.
Recommend for those who are attempting to find their creativity.
Mar 24, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So much wisdom, but written efficiently and poetically. So good.
Amy Young
Jun 04, 2012 Amy Young rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful. Poetic. Helpful.
May 25, 2013 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely lovely.
Emily Echols
Emily Echols marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Sandy Cathcart
Sandy Cathcart rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Melissa Poulin
Melissa Poulin marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Katie rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Lana marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Marissa marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Cheryl Shireman
Cheryl Shireman marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Corinne rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
BeckyTalbot marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Bria Moore
Bria Moore marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Michele marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Gail marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Debbie Teashon
Debbie Teashon rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Caring for Words in a Culture of Lies
  • At the Still Point: A Literary Guide to Prayer in Ordinary Time
  • Before We Get Started: A Practical Memoir of the Writer's Life
  • The Memoir Project: A Thoroughly Non-Standardized Text for Writing & Life
  • Writing True: The Art and Craft of Creative Nonfiction
  • The Situation and the Story: The Art of Personal Narrative
  • Reluctant Pilgrim: A Moody, Somewhat Self-Indulgent Introvert's Search for Spiritual Community
  • Year of Plenty: One Suburban Family, Four Rules, and 365 Days of Homegrown Adventure in Pursuit of Christian Living
  • Tell It Slant: Writing and Shaping Creative Nonfiction
  • We Are Not Alone: The Writer's Guide to Social Media
  • Soil and Sacrament: Four Seasons Among the Keepers of the Earth
  • Your Life as Story
  • Sweet Heaven When I Die: Faith, Faithlessness, and the Country In Between
  • Mastering Creative Anxiety: 24 Lessons for Writers, Painters, Musicians, and Actors from America's Foremost Creativity Coach
  • Breath for the Bones: Art, Imagination, and Spirit: Reflections on Creativity and Faith
  • Nine Gates: Entering the Mind of Poetry
  • Pray, Write, Grow: Cultivating Prayer and Writing Together
  • Writing to Wake the Soul: Opening the Sacred Conversation Within
Managing Editor of Tweetspeak Poetry. Staff writer for The Curator.

Loves tea, chocolate, Neruda, and naps.
More about L.L. Barkat...

“Writing starts with living.” 12 likes