Start by marking “Touch and Go” as Want to Read:
Touch and Go

Touch and Go

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  106 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
To escape an addiction, a young blind man in California steps into a station wagon with his friends and their foster kids to deliver a handmade casket to a dying grandfather in Florida. As they battle their way across the southern half of the nation, this rag-tag American family falls prey to love and lies, greed and violence, crime and Katrina.
With a voice reminiscent of
Published October 1st 2011 by Unbridled Books (first published August 27th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Touch and Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Touch and Go

Maggie
Dec 29, 2011 Maggie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by Nodine's debut novel Touch and Go. I love a story with a strong, first-person narrator and this novel did not disappoint. Touch and Go starts out as a road trip story, full of unlikely characters and wonderful episodes along the way, but it differs in that the narrator, Kevin, is blind. I was afraid that this would somehow limit the story, but have no fear--Nodine's descriptions are rich and detailed in a way that is new and different. Like many road trip stories, t ...more
Jenn Ravey
A blind man and recovering addict, his two sponsors, and a couple foster kids + a road trip to the Gulf in hurricane season with a coffin riding on top of the station wagon= chaos.

Ok, a few notes to start with. Kevin is the blind man. Isa and Patrick are his sponsors. Devon and Ray are the foster kids. Isa's father is ill, and Patrick has a hand-hewn casket for him. They load everyone in the car and bump along on the way to Florida. They are a family of sorts, but each is on shaky ground, leavin
Lori
Nov 23, 2011 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From publisher

Read 11/17/11 - 11/23/11
4 Stars - Strongly Recommended
Pgs: 342
Publisher: Unbridled Books

Be prepared to see the world through the eyes of a blind man. Touch and Go, by debut novelist Thad Nodine, is a multi-cultural, non-traditional masterpiece that will worm its way into every reader's heart.

Kevin, an ex-addict who was blinded in a freak accident as a child, narrates the journey he makes across country with his quirky sponsor family - Isa, Patrick, and their two foster kids Devon a
Monique Hodgkinson
At times it was hard to tell where this book was going and then other times the insights aroundthis dysfunctional family were well done.. There were moments of brilliance with the sensitivity and insights about interactions between characters. But there were also moments that the characters were too stereotypical and canned, including the suprise circumstances at the end. But I did get swept up in the drama. For a first novel, it is a good start and it will be interesting where this local writer ...more
Corinne
May 24, 2013 Corinne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: norcal-writers
Touch and Go was good, although it could have used a little bit more work with pacing, especially at the end. I have deep respect for an author who writes a novel in first person point of view from the perspective of a blind narrator. Nodine really set up a challenge for himself, as the narrator, Kevin, cannot see, so his form of showing and not telling comes through describing the feel of things, the sounds, the smells. While Nodine handled this very well, there were times that I felt his hyper ...more
Linnet
May 09, 2015 Linnet rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
They're an interesting family. Isa and Patrick are married. They met in rehab and fell in love they also met Kevin there. He's blind, injured in a horrendous childhood accident. And there are two foster children, Devon, 16 and African American and little Ray. This family is traveling from LA to Florida to visit Isa's father. How could they not have adventures on the way?
Jules Vilmur
Jan 29, 2012 Jules Vilmur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I taught a writing class, I would use the first chapter of "Touch And Go" as an example of a brilliant set-up, precisely what every story needs. On the weight of that first chapter, I had high hopes for the novel and yet, I didn't expect it to take me to the places it did or deliver above and beyond the promise of those first few words. A really beautiful book.

Lee
Apr 19, 2012 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Humor, compassion, characters that come alive and stay with you. Writing that conjures up a sense of place - creating powerful images. Genuine insights into the human condition. And a story that rolls across the country taking the reader on a wonderful ride. Helluva' fine book.
Shawn
Jan 27, 2012 Shawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really a good book written from the perspective of a blind man as their "family" travels from California to Florida by car. The description and narrative was really well done. I would like to think that many of you would enjoy this book.
Stephanie Godley
I really liked the story line but at times the book dragged and kind of lost me. But it was different from my "usual" and I enjoyed that and the characters. Some of it felt a little forced, but a good story line.
Julia
Sep 13, 2013 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a story that tries to cover too much: blindness, addiction, foster care, odyssey, Hurricane Katrina, love and loss, etc., etc.
Sue
Jan 06, 2013 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really random storyline but fun to read. Interesting perspective as as descriptions are from the viewpoint of a character who is blind.
Charlie
Started slow, but I liked it.
Rebecca
This book really could have been a must-read - the type of book you'd walk away from thinking, "Wow." Unfortunately, as a first novel it feels underdeveloped and a little rough around the edges; despite its strong start, it stumbles in the end and struggles with pacing and lack of real resolution toward the end.

>Touch and Go< is, at its heart, a road-trip book about a rag-tag family going cross country to deliver a coffin to the dying father of one of the group, in a very >As I Lay Dyin
Kristy
Jan 28, 2012 Kristy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nodine's debut novel is about a thrown-together family of a blind ex-junkie, the married couple he met in rehab, and the couple's two foster children on a road trip from California to Florida to visit a dying father. I ended up liking this one way more than I thought I would, mostly due to the unique narration by the blind character, Kevin. Having all the other characters, flashbacks and continuing action described only through sound, touch, and smell sounds a little gimmicky, but is really effe ...more
Jill Robbertze
I enjoyed this novel. A story that reminded me a bit of one of my favourite movies, "Little Miss Sunshine"....a bunch of offbeat characters that make up a family on a mission. I give this book 3.5 stars.
Erin
Apr 23, 2013 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great story of an unlikely group of people in interesting circumstances. I enjoyed the twists and turns and development of the characters. I was fortunate enough to hear the author speak on a few occasions regarding his story and process which added to my experience...I hope he follows through with plans to continue with some of these characters in future novels!
Davina
Oct 09, 2012 Davina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
'Touch and Go' is a great book. It was easy to read and keeps your attention. It's enjoyable and helped me to see life through very different perspectives.
Misti Pittman
Misti Pittman marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2016
Stacey Falls
Stacey Falls rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Cher
Cher marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
James
James marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Vex
Vex marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Joy Banzon
Joy Banzon marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Frankie Paige
Frankie Paige rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2016
Laura rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Fixing My Gaze: A Scientist's Journey into Seeing in Three Dimensions
  • Brains: How They Seem to Work
  • Reprobate: A Katla Novel (Amsterdam Assassin, #1)
  • The Laurel's Kitchen Bread Book: A Guide to Whole-Grain Breadmaking
  • Fashion: A Very Short Introduction
  • Find Your Focus Zone: An Effective New Plan to Defeat Distraction and Overload
  • Where Do Nudists Keep Their Hankies?: ... and Other Naughty Questions You Always Wanted Answered
  • The Petite Advantage Diet: Achieve That Long, Lean Look. The Specialized Plan for Women 5'4" and Under.
  • Style on a Shoestring
  • Curious Folks Ask: 162 Real Answers on Amazing Inventions, Fascinating Products, and Medical Mysteries
  • Autism: A Very Short Introduction
  • Moon Over Madeline Island
  • Branded Beauty: How Marketing Changed the Way We Look
  • Playing It by Heart: Taking Care of Yourself No Matter What
  • Looks: Why They Matter More Than You Ever Imagined
  • Wear This, Toss That!: Hundreds of Fashion and Beauty Swaps That Save Your Looks, Save Your Budget, and Save You Time
  • Hurty Feelings
  • 101 Foods That Could Save Your Life
Thad Nodine grew up in Florida and now lives in Santa Cruz. His fiction and nonfiction have appeared in many magazines. Touch and Go, which won the Dana Award for the Novel, is his first novel.
More about Thad Nodine...