Touch and Go

Touch and Go

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  14 reviews
To escape an addiction, a young blind man in California steps into a station wagon with his friends and their foster kids to deliver a handmade casket to a dying grandfather in Florida. As they battle their way across the southern half of the nation, this rag-tag American family falls prey to love and lies, greed and violence, crime and Katrina.
With a voice reminiscent of...more
Published October 1st 2011 by Unbridled Books (first published August 27th 2011)

Maggie
I was pleasantly surprised by Nodine's debut novel Touch and Go. I love a story with a strong, first-person narrator and this novel did not disappoint. Touch and Go starts out as a road trip story, full of unlikely characters and wonderful episodes along the way, but it differs in that the narrator, Kevin, is blind. I was afraid that this would somehow limit the story, but have no fear--Nodine's descriptions are rich and detailed in a way that is new and different. Like many road trip stories, t...more
Jenn Ravey
A blind man and recovering addict, his two sponsors, and a couple foster kids + a road trip to the Gulf in hurricane season with a coffin riding on top of the station wagon= chaos.

Ok, a few notes to start with. Kevin is the blind man. Isa and Patrick are his sponsors. Devon and Ray are the foster kids. Isa's father is ill, and Patrick has a hand-hewn casket for him. They load everyone in the car and bump along on the way to Florida. They are a family of sorts, but each is on shaky ground, leavin...more
Rebecca
This book really could have been a must-read - the type of book you'd walk away from thinking, "Wow." Unfortunately, as a first novel it feels underdeveloped and a little rough around the edges; despite its strong start, it stumbles in the end and struggles with pacing and lack of real resolution toward the end.

>Touch and Go< is, at its heart, a road-trip book about a rag-tag family going cross country to deliver a coffin to the dying father of one of the group, in a very >As I Lay Dying<...more
Lori
From publisher

Read 11/17/11 - 11/23/11
4 Stars - Strongly Recommended
Pgs: 342
Publisher: Unbridled Books

Be prepared to see the world through the eyes of a blind man. Touch and Go, by debut novelist Thad Nodine, is a multi-cultural, non-traditional masterpiece that will worm its way into every reader's heart.

Kevin, an ex-addict who was blinded in a freak accident as a child, narrates the journey he makes across country with his quirky sponsor family - Isa, Patrick, and their two foster kids Devon a...more
Kristy
Nodine's debut novel is about a thrown-together family of a blind ex-junkie, the married couple he met in rehab, and the couple's two foster children on a road trip from California to Florida to visit a dying father. I ended up liking this one way more than I thought I would, mostly due to the unique narration by the blind character, Kevin. Having all the other characters, flashbacks and continuing action described only through sound, touch, and smell sounds a little gimmicky, but is really effe...more
Corinne
Touch and Go was good, although it could have used a little bit more work with pacing, especially at the end. I have deep respect for an author who writes a novel in first person point of view from the perspective of a blind narrator. Nodine really set up a challenge for himself, as the narrator, Kevin, cannot see, so his form of showing and not telling comes through describing the feel of things, the sounds, the smells. While Nodine handled this very well, there were times that I felt his hyper...more
Erin
This was a great story of an unlikely group of people in interesting circumstances. I enjoyed the twists and turns and development of the characters. I was fortunate enough to hear the author speak on a few occasions regarding his story and process which added to my experience...I hope he follows through with plans to continue with some of these characters in future novels!
Jules
If I taught a writing class, I would use the first chapter of "Touch And Go" as an example of a brilliant set-up, precisely what every story needs. On the weight of that first chapter, I had high hopes for the novel and yet, I didn't expect it to take me to the places it did or deliver above and beyond the promise of those first few words. A really beautiful book.

Lee
Humor, compassion, characters that come alive and stay with you. Writing that conjures up a sense of place - creating powerful images. Genuine insights into the human condition. And a story that rolls across the country taking the reader on a wonderful ride. Helluva' fine book.
Shawn
Really a good book written from the perspective of a blind man as their "family" travels from California to Florida by car. The description and narrative was really well done. I would like to think that many of you would enjoy this book.
Stephanie Godley
I really liked the story line but at times the book dragged and kind of lost me. But it was different from my "usual" and I enjoyed that and the characters. Some of it felt a little forced, but a good story line.
Davina
'Touch and Go' is a great book. It was easy to read and keeps your attention. It's enjoyable and helped me to see life through very different perspectives.
Julia
It is a story that tries to cover too much: blindness, addiction, foster care, odyssey, Hurricane Katrina, love and loss, etc., etc.
Sue
Really random storyline but fun to read. Interesting perspective as as descriptions are from the viewpoint of a character who is blind.
Charlie
Started slow, but I liked it.
Patty Sandifer-Baskin
Patty Sandifer-Baskin marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Jill Robbertze
Jill Robbertze is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2014
Jill Jolliff
Jill Jolliff marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Stephanie Konrade
Stephanie Konrade marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Nayantara
Nayantara marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Beapmm
Beapmm marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Victoria Darkins
Victoria Darkins marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Lisa Morrow
Lisa Morrow marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Leesa
Leesa marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Katy Ancelet
Katy Ancelet marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Thad Nodine grew up in Florida and now lives in Santa Cruz. His fiction and nonfiction have appeared in many magazines. Touch and Go, which won the Dana Award for the Novel, is his first novel.
More about Thad Nodine...