Start by marking “God Gave Us You” as Want to Read:
God Gave Us You

God Gave Us You (God Gave Us)

4.47  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,062 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
When a charming polar bear cub climbs into bed one night, she asks her Mama a very important question--one that little "human cubs" often wonder about, too: "Where did I come from?"

Published September 19th 2000 by WaterBrook

To ask other readers questions about God Gave Us You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God Gave Us You

Dustin
Jan 16, 2013 Dustin rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any parent or soon-to-be parent.

My wife, Tanya, and I picked this out together to read to Carter. It was the second book we acquired for our little guy, the first being Goodnight Moon.

Anyway, we'd been rather lax at reading to him, so we did just that last night. As Tanya held him, his eyes and rapt attention never left me as I read it aloud. It is an experience I hope to never forget; not due to the story (which is very similar to ours, BTW,) but simply for the once-in-a-lifetime experience, the bond shared between the thre
Jolene
Jul 22, 2011 Jolene rated it it was amazing
“Where did I come from?” An innocent question with a complex answer. In God Gave Us You, Little Cub asks this question of her Mama who replies that “God Gave Us You.” Mama goes on to explain that Little Cub was in her tummy, how they prepared for Little Cub's arrival, and how happy they were when Little Cub finally arrived. Colorful illustrations illustrate the classic theme that children are a precious gift from God.

God Gave Us You, written by Lisa Tawn Bergren and illustrated by Laura J. Bryan
Darcy Leech
Jan 09, 2016 Darcy Leech rated it it was amazing
An excellent story for monotheistic parents, this book helps capture the miracle of life, what happens to a mother's belly as a child grows, and the value in the birth of a child. This book sparks great conversations and builds a confidence grounded in the child's value to God. This is one of the cutest ways to make your child feel loved with 0% spoiling. I will admit that I would change the "she" in the story to a "he" to read to my son. I wanted him to identify how special the cub was to how s ...more
Melissa Roach
Oct 24, 2011 Melissa Roach rated it it was amazing
Description:

As Mama bear tucks her youngest cub under the quilts, she gently, tenderly, and reassuringly communicates the message loving parents everywhere (bears and non-bears alike) want their little ones to hear: "We wanted you very, very much, and we are so very glad because--"God gave us you."

Perfect for bedtime,
Delia
Jul 29, 2011 Delia rated it it was amazing
Absolutely delightful! What a wonderful way to answer the inevitable question that every child eventually asks: Where did I come from?

This sturdy children’s board book offers a beautifully illustrated story about a young bear cub who presents that very question to her mother. Mama’s wise, thoughtful answers are sure to build self-esteem and confidence in young listeners and/or readers, as each reply to Little Cub’s numerous queries reinforce the overall answer: You are a treasured gift from God.
Kitty Honeycutt
Jun 13, 2011 Kitty Honeycutt rated it it was amazing
LISA TAWN BERGREN'S "GOD GAVE US YOU" (A REVIEW)

This was a beautiful little book meant for ages 0 to 5 years. The story employs the theme of a family of polar bears telling their young cub how she came to be and why they were so blessed by God to have her. A definite must read for any family with children of this age. The illustrations are beautiful and the story is simply adorable.

-Kitty Bullard / Great Minds Think Aloud Book Club

Read more: http://www.greatmindsthinkaloud.probo...
Jill Marks
Mar 26, 2015 Jill Marks rated it liked it
Shelves: multicultural
God Gave Us You is a story about a polar bear who is asking his mom and dad where he came from. His mom is explaining to him that he was given to them by God. Mom and Dad were all alone and so they asked God for a baby. And "God gave us you." This book goes through the cycle of having a baby - how mom gets bigger and bigger until one day the baby comes. This book would be a good way to introduce the idea of where babies come from with a religious background. The illustrations go along well with ...more
Heather
Jan 01, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing
God Gave Us You is a sweet, touching story. My three-year-old LOVES it and thinks the bears are absolute adorable. (She says “Awwww!” when looking at the pictures.) This book offers a very sweet story to help parents of the really young give a great answer to the “Where did I come from?” question. I have told my oldest that God gave her to us, and she accepted that. And now, I have the cutest storybook to help tell my youngest the exact same thing. It is a very precious, touching story that I wi ...more
Sheri Salatin
Aug 27, 2011 Sheri Salatin rated it really liked it
God Gave Us You is an illustrated board book perfect for children ages 1-3 years. It is a short story about a baby polar bear asking the question, "Mama, where did I come from?"

"From God," Her mother answered. "Your papa and I were alone and we wanted a baby."

"And you got me?" Little Cub asked, her voice muffled by the covers.

"Yes, my special child. God gave us you."

The pictures are colorful and engaging for young minds and the story is very sweet. It drives home the point that children come fro
Tori
Sep 28, 2011 Tori rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian, children-s
This is the second book I have reviewed written by Lisa Tawn Bergren and I am now officially a faithful fan of hers. This is an amazing children's book. The illustrations were done by Laura J. Bryant and they are amazing as well. Here's a bit of a description about the book:

A baby polar bear cub climbs into bed and asks her Mama Bear where she came from. The Mama bear tells her how much she was wanted and how much they love her. Then she lovingly responds "God gave us you" She then goes on to e
Kaylea
Feb 13, 2012 Kaylea rated it liked it
Small (15 pages) but adorable, Lisa Tawn Bergren and Laura J. Bryant have created a beautiful board book (and series) revolving around a little bear and her quest to know things.

God Gave Us You, is designed to answer Little Cub's question, "Where Did I Come From."

The book provides a sweet, yet honest way to tell a child how they were born - through the eyes of Little Cub and her folks.

It's definitely a book for birth parents - since Little Cub "grows" inside of mommy's tummy. In fact, Bergren sa
Lynn  Davidson
Oct 21, 2013 Lynn Davidson rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
God Gave Us You is a richly illustrated board book with artwork that depicts the tenderness between parents and their baby. This book is just the right size for small hands. Its sentiment is comforting and clearly stated for a child to understand.

As mother bear is tucking her little cub into bed one night, she is asked the question most children ask at some time, “Where did I come from?” Mother Bear answers, “From God”, and then goes into just enough detail to settle the question without it bein
Margaret Chind
When I found out that this board book was coming my way I was full of pure delight! What perfect timing too as it is here just in time for AppleBlossom's second birthday! A great addition to her shelf and a great way to talk more about her little sister who should arrive within the next few weeks... I love Lisa's Christian Historical Fiction for adults, and I'm learning to love her Young Adult series too (in my TBR pile...). It is without explaination needed to say that I also have come to love ...more
Emma
May 04, 2015 Emma rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-2015
This is not a children's book for those that don't wish to "indoctrinate" their children. It should be obvious from the title, but this is a religious book.

Anyway, we are a pretty deeply religious family and so we loved this sweet little book about our children being gifts right from God. I think there are a couple more books in this series, probably one that specifically deals with expecting a new sibling. Regardless, this was still a great jumping off point to talk to my son about new babies.
Jul 28, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. First off, it glorifies God as being the One who gives a child to its parents and shows how He answers specific prayers. Each page of the story closely paralleled how God answered our prayers for a daughter and brought her into the world. We started reading it to her at 3 months, but hope she will come to appreciate the story even more as she gets older and grows in comprehension.
Wendycarlson3
Sep 22, 2014 Wendycarlson3 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet book about a baby polar bear cub going through her "why" stage, asking her Mommy questions about where she came from and about being born. Most of Mommy's answers were simply "because God gave us you". There are 2 more books in this series that are just as sweet and helpful in answering those infamous "why" questions.
Danielle Mccoy
Jul 03, 2016 Danielle Mccoy rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
It's a good beginning to answering the question "Where did I come from?" if they came from their mothers tummy. Which only about a third of my "kids" do and not all of them have an us. So it's not practical for all the children I work with. It is sweet and has a great message that God gave us you.
Kymberly
Feb 27, 2014 Kymberly rated it it was amazing
Be prepared to cry!
A great read for your child and a good way to help answer the question "where did I come from?"
A very cute story where a young cub asks his mom where he came from and the mama bear explains her pregnancy and birth of her cub (in a kid friendly way of course) I just love this story!
Melissa Rheinlander
Aug 27, 2011 Melissa Rheinlander rated it it was amazing
This book is completely adorable!! The illustrations are absolutely beautiful! This story is so well written and easy for a child to understand. It also uniquely tells the story of creation in a way that the little "human cubs" can understand and not get confused by all the adult language that goes along with this topic. It also takes the awkwardness away if your child is asking questions about where babies come from... no fretting over what to say or how to explain it. This is such a loving sto ...more
Lindsay Wilcox
Oct 14, 2015 Lindsay Wilcox rated it it was amazing
I think this is one of the books I sent to my godson for his birthday. I can't quite remember, and it didn't occur to me to log it in Goodreads at the time! I'm pretty sure I picked this over "On the Night You Were Born," though.
Kristen
Dec 16, 2014 Kristen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
This is a really sweet board book to read to your little ones. The book is a bit small to keep my 3 month old's attention, but the story is sweet. Would be a perfect gift for a baptism.
Sammie
Jun 13, 2016 Sammie rated it it was amazing
I read this book to my toddlers often and they LOVE it. It gently shepherd them in the Christian faith and is beautifully written. We also adore the illustrations.
Robert
Baby bear asks his mother where he came from. Mother bear explains that God gave him to her. Baby bear kept asking why questions about his birth. The answer always incorporated God's gift.

The illustrations in this are very soft and tender, just as the text is.
****
Fritz selected this as tonight's bedtime story. He kept thinking I was making fun of the story title when I read the repetitious line throughout the story. After tucking him in, I peaked in. He looked at me. I told him I loved him becau
Micah Carter
Jun 03, 2014 Micah Carter rated it it was amazing
This is such a cute story!One of my favorties!So sweet!
Mckinley
May 23, 2014 Mckinley rated it liked it
Shelves: picture, religious, baby, bear
I would have liked this much more if the illustrations weren't animals.
Mymcbooks
Aug 09, 2011 Mymcbooks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read several books by Lisa Tawn Bergren and this would bring tears to your eyes. Just like any child, little Cub wanted to know where she came from. And her mother replied, “From God”, without going into full detail on how babies are made. Explaining that little Cub is a gift from God; she shared how excited they both were to be parents, praying for a healthy and strong cub. This book was beautifully illustrated by Laura J Bryant. This is an excellent book and will make a great gift for M ...more
Matt Anderson
A really nice book with a really nice message.
Danette
A sweet touching read.
Kimberly
Dec 22, 2015 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-favorites
This was a sweet story. A mother and father polar bear tell their child the story of his birth and let him know how special he is to them. The kids wanted me to read it to them every night that we had it.
  • Wherever You Are My Love Will Find You
  • A You're Adorable
  • You Can Do It, Sam
  • You Are My I Love You
  • You Are My Miracle
  • It's Time to Sleep, My Love
  • Bubbles, Bubbles (Sesame Beginnings)
  • Daddy Kisses
  • Snuggle Up Sleepy Ones
  • Let Me Hold You Longer
  • If I Could Keep You Little...
  • The Bumpy Little Pumpkin
  • Someday
  • Old Bear and His Cub
  • Bears on Chairs
  • Where Is Baby's Pumpkin?
  • The Berenstain Bears Say Their Prayers
  • I Love You As Big As the World
About

Lisa Tawn Bergren is the best-selling, award-winning author of over 40 books, with more than 2.5 million copies sold. She recently finished a teen series called Remnants (SEASON OF WONDER, SEASON OF FIRE, and SEASON OF GLORY). She's also written the River of Time Series (WATERFALL, CASCADE, TORRENT, BOURNE & TRIBUTARY, DELUGE) and The Grand Tour Series (GLAMOROUS ILLUSIONS, GRAVE CONSEQUE
More about Lisa Tawn Bergren...

God Gave Us (9 books)