Topaz

Topaz

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  2,550 ratings  ·  64 reviews
On the eve of the Cuban Missile Crisis, American and French intelligence agents are plunged into a maze of Cold War intrigue

In Paris, 1962, French intelligence chief André Devereaux and NATO intelligence chief Michael Nordstrom have uncovered Soviet plans to ship nuclear arms to Cuba. But when Devereaux reports his findings and nobody acts—and he is targeted in an assassin...more
Published September 27th 2011 by Open Road Media (first published 1967)

To ask other readers questions about Topaz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Topaz

Dave
I remember Leon Uris as a very good novelist. His Mila18 in the early sixties introduced me to the horrors of Nazi anti-semitism. Although I forgot the story line years ago, the general viewpoint Uris provided has colored my attitudes ever since. I don't recall reading any other Uris novels until a few weeks ago when I picked up Topaz. I first thought I was simply getting a fictionalized version of the Cuban missile crisis. I was okay with that, but I was generally familiar with the circumstance...more
Carol
This is my third Leon Uris book and I am never disappointed. This takes the reader into the world of post WWII espionage. As with the his other books, Uris does a lot of back stories on the characters. When I read the summary of this book it stated it was about the Cuban Missile Crisis. But it really it is more about espionage between the US, France, Cuba and Russia. How did the information on the missiles reach our government, who were the people who collected and moved the information. I could...more
John
This is a very interesting book on a variety of levels. The story line sits around and wanders back and forth through the history of the Cuban Missile Crisis. But while Uris does a decent job of reconstructing the basic facts which finally led to the showdown between Russia and the Kennedy Administration, he also gives the reader great insight into why there consistently seems to be so much tension between France and the United States. He does this in numerous ways starting before WWII and after...more
David
What was the worst part of this book? The one-dimensionally cliche spy-novel characters? The unrelenting misogyny? The wistful yearning for the Batista days in Cuba? It's no accident, I guess, that even as a Uris reader I have never heard of this book. EXODUS, sadly, seems to have been the exception, rather than the rule. To believe these characters, the only greater threat to mankind than Communism is women, and how horrible they are that they dare to express their unhappiness when their men ha...more
Ahmad
عنوان: توپاز؛ اثر: لئون اوریس؛ ترجمه: سیروس پزشک؛‌ مشخصات نشر: تهران، امیرکبیر، ۱۳۴۹، در ۳۵۲ ص، موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان آمریکایی – قرن 20 م
رمان است اما حوادثی که نویسنده در آن به تصویر کشیده واقعی هستند، کانال سوئز و ... ا. ش
Linda
Mr. Uris is an excellent author. I read this book several years ago, and technique, mechanics, grammar were excellent. His earlier books are better than the later books, in my opinion. Still, I am sorry that he is not alive to write more books.

Mr. Uris is one author that I read and re-read. Louisa May Alcott being the other. He has such great ability to address hot spot topics. The troubles in Ireland, mental illness, the homeless Jews, TVA are but a few. My favorite Uris book is THE HAJ. The bo...more
Janice
This novel focuses on French-American relations leading up to the Cuban missile crisis. The details describing intelligence gathering were interesting, but this novel shows its age and feels very dated in a number of ways. Portrayals of females and male-female relationships are male fantasies. The women live to please men. The book is also very "Rah, rah America" to the point of being jingoistic, especially in Uris's portrayal of some of the foreign characters. For instance, the Russian defector...more
Kim
Beautiful writing! While this book is older than I am - yep, true - the novel is a great read today. The novel deals with timeless concepts set in a (then) contemporary setting. It was pretty interesting to read how word choices, acceptable phrases, cultural norms, etc. have changed since this was written. Look forward to reading more of his work!
Ted Compton
A Cold War spy tale from the unambiguous 60’s featuring a Long Island airport named Idlewild and a restaurant described, with a straight face, as camp. Including a Russian defector, fiery Cubans, unhappy wives, and the French, naturellement. And other exotica. Straight, goes down smooth.

Nicholle
A globetrotting Cold War-era spy yarn that doesn't quite stand the test of time. There is a lot of foundation building to reveal a Soviet spy ring infiltrating France as well as Cuban missile crisis maneuvering. There is a lot of ground to cover and the story gets bogged down. I give it a thumbs up for interesting story locales- Havana, D.C., Paris, London, Spain, Algeria, Denmark, and for insight into the French perspective on post WWII politics. The most engaging part of the book for me was th...more
Maudie
First read this in the early 1970's and, as I grew older with hopefully a better understanding of history, decided I needed to read it again. Mr. Uris you did not disappoint with either read.
Jeff Crosby
This is an engrossing cold war tale that reflects its time and place. While the ending is somewhat ambiguous, the politics are not. Uris wrote a novel that was harshly critical of French politics and actions in the 1960s. His fictional president of France was a thinly veiled Charles de Gaulle.

Built against the backdrop of the Cuban missile crisis, this novel is essentially a mole hunt within French security forces. While it doesn't contain of the classic elements as defined a few years later in...more
Nancy
Favorite line: "I was going to make a dramatic exit by spitting in your face but it's a waste of good spittle."

Why can't the world just get along?
Gerald
Leon Uris is masterful author. Topaz weaves a terrific tale of suspense and intrigue which both underlies and incorporates the factual circumstances surrounding the Cuban Missile Crisis. A French patriot, serving in the #2 position in the French Embassy in Washington, helps thwart a Communist conspiracy and infiltration of the very highest levels of the French government and at the same time playing an integral role in obtaining information of the nefarious activities of the Soviets in Cuba.

I mo...more
D
I read quite some time ago, but I recall enjoying it.
Barbara
I was a Leon Uris fan when I was young and I am still a fan now at 67.
Amy
Not one of Uris's best, but an okay read.
Doubledf99.99
not to bad. 1960's thriller, the Cuban Missile crisis, with the a French spy taking a lead role.
Surreysmum
[These notes were made in 1981:]. A thriller in the "secret-agents-run-the-world" category. Central character is a Frenchman whose chief loyalty is to the Americans, and his wife/mistress/daughter are all part of the plot. A step above Harold Robbins in that we're not subjected to soft-core sex scenes, but it still didn't grab me in the way that QBVII did, perhaps because the subject matter (spy rings, etc.), although equally sensationalistic, is less humanized.
Mark A.
Great read. Very entertaining. It was difficult to put the book down.
Håvard Bjørnelv
Under hele den kalde krigen var det en egen sjanger innen krim og spenning som var svært populær, nemlig spionromanen. Topaz er etter min mening blant det ypperste for denne gruppen. Handlingen i Topaz spinner rundt Cuba-krisa på begynnelsen av 60-tallet og framstår som en fantastisk dog troverdig rekonstruksjon av hvordan det k u n n e foregått. Leon Uris har lenge vært en av mine favorittforfattere og Topaz styrker den oppfatninga. Anbefalt! :-)
Noa
In my mind, this book didn't share the great literary heights of Uris's other workd, like Mila 18 or QB VII. It was a fun and somewhat informational book, but it pretty much ended there.

What really ruined the book for me was when, at some point in the book (won't say when) Leon Uris mentions HIMSELF as the teller of the tale, (I don't remember the exact quote, but it was something like: [I:] am a rather corny author, but with a future.)
Armin Hennig
As a spy novel the book is embarrassing, if you have seen 13 days you wonder how little history is in this book.
Read it after Mitla Pass, which told a lot about the ups an downs of his first marriage 30 years later or so.
In Topas Uris wrote the end of his marriage somehow in real time, he was divorced in 1968, the book was finishid 1967 and his hero Deveraux is also a philandering husband with at least one great love on the side.
Judy
I love reading stories that shed light on a time or place in history that I know little about. and from that perspective, it held my attention ... mostly. I felt that most of the characters were fairly two dimensional and had a hard time caring about them.

the story dragged here and there, lost in endless descriptions that seemed to give little cookie to the plot our the character
Jan Derksen

Niemand, zelfs geen der topfiguren, wist van het bestaan van Topaz. De president der Verenigde Staten was woedend en ontzet over wat hij hoorde. Hij schreef eigenhandig een uiterst vertrouwelijke brief aan de president van Frankrijk. Binnen een uur was een speciale koerier aan boord van een razen...

more...
Holly
an old book I found while cleaning out the parent's house. It deals with the events leading up to the Cuban Missle Crisis. Very interesting. Spy stuff from the early 1960's! With the recent Russian Spy ring exposed in the news it made the book timely. It also explores America's relationship with France going back to WW II.
Joey
I'm not sure why I choose to go through with reading such difficult books, except that maybe it reminds me of being in college. This was not a bad book, but it was incredibly hard to get through. Andre was a sympathetic character but there were whole chapters about his life I just didknn not need to know.
Tracey
Very dated but it held my interest.
Becca
It wasn't one of my favorites, but I've enjoyed every Leon Uris book so far so that isn't that great of a complaint. It's an interesting look at the relationship b/w the States, Russia, France and Cuba after the Bay of Pigs. Quite sad I have so few of his books left to read....
Dutch
This is a Cold War-era spy novel and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Just when you think you know who might be the mole, the author surprises you. How refreshing! On another note, this book attempts to shed light on why the French are so bitter and misunderstood.
  • Before the Fact
  • Marnie
  • The House of Dr. Edwardes
  • The Prize
  • Vertigo (NFT/BFI Film Classics)
  • The Hope (The Hope and the Glory, #1)
  • Caribbean
  • Eating Fire: Selected Poetry 1965-1995
  • The Lodger
  • The Most Wanted
19708
Leon Marcus Uris (August 3, 1924 - June 21, 2003) was an American novelist, known for his historical fiction and the deep research that went into his novels. His two bestselling books were Exodus, published in 1958, and Trinity, in 1976.

Leon Uris was born in Baltimore, Maryland, the son of Jewish-American parents Wolf William and Anna (Blumberg) Uris. His father, a Polish-born immigrant, was a pa...more
More about Leon Uris...
 Exodus QB VII Mila 18 Trinity The Haj

“Pride is a fool's fortress” 10 likes
“Nordstrom.” “Would you care for some tea or a brandy?” “No .... Nicole, I know” 0 likes