Start by marking “The Wheel of Time: The Shamans of Mexico Their Thoughts About Life Death & the Universe” as Want to Read:

The Wheel of Time: The Shamans of Mexico Their Thoughts About Life Death & the Universe (The Teachings of Don Juan #11)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  692 ratings  ·  26 reviews
World-renowned bestselling author Carlos Castaneda's Selection of his wrtings on the shamans of ancient Mexico.

Originally drawn to Yaqui Indian spiritual leader don Juan Matus for his knowledge of mind-altering plants, bestselling author Carlos Castaneda soon immersed himself in the sorcerer’s magical world entirely. Ten years after his first encounter with the s
paper, 304 pages
Published January 1st 2001 by Washington Square Press (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Wheel of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wheel of Time

The Garden by Robin Craig ClarkBabaji and the 18 Siddha Kriya Yoga Tradition by Marshall GovindanI am Harmony, A Book About Babaji by Radhe ShyamYeshua's Yoga by Kimberly Beyer-NelsonChildren Books by Ruthz S.B.
Books for Mastery
17th out of 18 books — 8 voters
The Power of Now by Eckhart TolleThe Way Of The Superior Man by David DeidaThe Fountainhead by Ayn RandPracticing the Power of Now by Eckhart TolleStillness Speaks by Eckhart Tolle
RSD
41st out of 45 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

David
A friend of mine has been telling me about soul journeying and I was looking for a book that had some incite into shamanism. This book contains cryptic but very quotable and intriguing snippets of wisdom. Carlos Castaneda learned them throughout his life from his own journeys guided by Don Juan Marquis and Florinda Matus. As someone who has never read anything by Carlos Castaneda this was not a good place to start- it is filled with the outcomes but missing the story so it is hard to absorb. It ...more
Terry
Many years ago I enjoyed Castaneda's Don Juan and I was interested in how I would now find the author's later works. This is a book of quotes from his earlier works and there are some very good ones, especially the role death plays while contemplating life. Basically, Castenada's mentor has led him through a path that initially made use of psychotropic plants and later showed that drugs are not necessary to understand that time is a useful illusion and that detachment is on the road to enlighten ...more
CD
I distinctly remember purchasing this one while traveling (not tripping please note!) in Missouri. It was marked down and I read most of it one week while at a trade show.

[ June 2011

Another box of books has been reopened for cleaning, sorting, and reevaluation and lo and behold, many of the collected works of Carlos Castaneda are part of the contents.

Many years have gone but I remember this author and his works vividly. [Now don't get any ideas as to an allusion I may or may not be making] At s
Danijel Brestovac
Kolo časa

str.36- občutek pomembnosti naredi človeka težkega, okornega in plitvega. Bojevnik pa mora biti lahek in gibljiv.

Str. 40- bojevnik si nikoli ne beli glave zavoljo svojega strahu. Namesto tega raje misli na čudež videnja toka energije! Vse ostalo je načičkanost, nepomembna načičkanost.

Str. 56- bojevnik prevzame odgovornost za svoja dejanja, tudi za najbolj preprost med njimi. Običajni človek izvede, kar se mu plete po glavi, ne da bi pri tem sprejel kako odgovornost.

Str. 91- bojevnik je
David
I was first introduced to Castaneda’s work two years ago, when my dad found two books for me to read from his college days - The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge and A Separate Reality. Rarely does my father actually pick up a book, so I knew this one was going to be pretty good. The first of Castaneda’s twelve-book series, The Teachings of Don Juan, dragged me into his narrative quickly. I recommend it to everyone I know, and have both of my personal copies circulating through my ...more
Sabrina Ali
While a quick read, these Shamanic quotes were grounded in gendered perspective which I find alienating. They seemed to be a collection of 'shoulds' and included a fear of death. Not recommended.
Alissa Ruppert
This book is full of quotes from the books he previously wrote.

Some quotes that really made me think are...

“If his spirit is distorted he should simply fix it—purge it, make it perfect—because there is no other task in our entire lives which is more worthwhile…To seek the perfection of the warrior’s spirit is the only task worthy of our temporariness, our manhood.”

But, what is perfect? What is worthwhile? These are all just words... how can we truly express what and who we are suppose to be with
Stephie Jane Rexroth
Much needed truth, wisdom, perspective
Derabette
The book includes some very interesting points of view that are worth considering. But it is VERY difficult to understand and to "swallow" as it icludes quotes from Carlos Castañeda's different works. I recommend it to everyone who is interested in spirituality but don't start with this one if you are at the beginning of your "mental journey".
Luke

Basically a collection of quotations from Castaneda's preceding books. Perfect for picking up and opening to a random page, and though it definitely helps to have read the actual books the quotations are taken from, I feel like the thoughts are universal and basic enough in their language to offer plenty to someone unfamiliar with his work.

Bryon Medina
Jan 22, 2008 Bryon Medina rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Serious Casteneda readers.
This book is a collection of quotes from Don Juan, culled from Carlos Castanedas' first eight books. There is some powerful stuff in this book, so it's worth having around, but the quotes take on much more meaning in the context of the stories they came from. If you like this book, read the Teachings of Don Juan and work back from there.
Alfred
I didn't like it. it's my first Carlos Castaneda book and I've heard good things about him. sadly I can't agree. maybe I chose the wrong book to read from him. book is full of quotes from his other books which I expected was going to motivate me to read more about him but it made the opposite effect
Lisa
Collection of quotes and commentaries by Castaneda about his apprenticeship with shaman don Juan Matus. Fascinating and enlightening, a highly recommended read, especially to those who appreciate books about culture/spirituality.
karlito delacasa
Tout le monde peut voir, cependant chacun préfère oublier ce qu'il voit.

Le pire qui puisse nous arriver est de devoir mourir, et comme tel est déjà notre destin immuable, nous libres; ceux qui ont tout perdu n'ont plus rien à craindre.
Darshan
This embodies the Essence or "cores" of the Energy Transmission (Shaktipat) of the Masters of Ancient Mexico. This type of Knowledge is indespensible, preparing and empowering one for the unavoidable encounter with the "unknown"...
Cheryl
Personally I have no concern with whether these books are fiction or non-fiction, I found them to be good friends. Some very enjoyable tricks learned in the choices I makes when interacting with my environment.
Walter Alini
Es un resumen de frases y citas de los libros anteriores de Carlos Castaneda, y de su "formación" como Chamán. Interesante repaso para los que los hayan leido, buen spoiler para aquellos que no.
Ian
I was introduced to Carlos Casteneda by a friend. This book is a book of quotes, arising from Castaneda's time spent with the Mexican Shaman's. I found it an enjoyable read.
Tom Mueller
Quotes from the teachings of Shamans. Their lives are based on an alternate cognitive reality that can barely be perceived by denizens of Western Culture.
Russ
Over the years I have read every book.
This book is a collection of the general knowledge and philosophy of the first 6 books. I read it once a year.
sharad
Nov 10, 2014 sharad rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Gwen Zimmerman
A brilliant selection of quotations from Castañeda's previous eight books which outline the key concepts of a shaman's path.
Sean Quinn
Quotes gathered from each of the books Castaneda has written. Some condensed wisdom for the masses...
Micmoc
Jun 29, 2008 Micmoc rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who are searching a Churchless spirituality
A book I would like my son could read when he is 18 years old.
William
The author repackages the essential points from his previous books.
Robert Barton
Neat book, but have to read the others for context.
Jose
great mystic book about the Mexcian shamans.
Dm
Feb 19, 2008 Dm added it
Fernando
Fernando marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Christian
Christian marked it as to-read
May 25, 2015
  • Sorcerer's Apprentice: My Life with Carlos Castaneda
  • The Teachings of Don Carlos: Practical Applications of the Works of Carlos Castaneda
  • The Witch's Dream: A Healer's Way of Knowledge
  • The "God" Part of the Brain: A Scientific Interpretation of Human Spirituality and God
  • The Sorcerer's Crossing: A Woman's Journey
  • Ramakrishna and His Disciples
  • The Invisible Landscape: Mind, Hallucinogens & the I Ching
  • The Enlightened Mind: An Anthology of Sacred Prose
  • Radiance: Experiencing Divine Presence
  • Entering the Circle: Ancient Secrets of Siberian Wisdom Discovered by a Russian Psychiatrist
  • Weaving the Visions: New Patterns in Feminist Spirituality
  • The Cosmic Serpent: DNA and the Origins of Knowledge
Carlos Castaneda (December 25, 1925 – April 27, 1998) was a Peruvian-born American author. Immigration records for Carlos Cesar Arana Castaneda indicate that he was born on December 25, 1925 in Cajamarca, Perú. Records show that his surname was given by his mother Susana Castañeda Navoa. His father was Cesar Arana Burungaray. His surname appears with the ñ in many Hispanic dictionaries, even thoug ...more
More about Carlos Castaneda...

The Teachings of Don Juan (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge
  • Fire from Within
  • Power of Silence
  • The Art of Dreaming
  • Magical Passes: The Practical Wisdom of the Shamans of Ancient Mexico
The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge A Separate Reality Journey to Ixtlan Tales of Power The Art of Dreaming

“The internal dialogue is what grounds people in the daily world. The world is such and such or so and so, only because we talk to ourselves about its being such and such and so and so. The passageway into the world of shamans opens up after the warrior has learned to shut off his internal dialogue” 24 likes
“The average man is either victorious or defeated and, depending on that, he becomes a persecutor or a victim. These two conditions are prevalent as long as one does not see. Seeing dispels the illusion of victory, or defeat, or suffering.” 0 likes