Start by marking “Tiger of Talmare (Frontiers of Love, #1)” as Want to Read:
Tiger of Talmare (Frontiers of Love, #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

Tiger of Talmare (Frontiers of Love #1)

Novella: 29300 words

Melissa Stark will take on just about any job as long as the price is right. But this particular job she would gladly take on for free because Captain Zachary Knight has been a thorn in her side ever since she stole his starship ten years ago.

Back then he was a genuine hero and poster boy for the army's hybrid breeding program. Now things have changed.
Published September 8th 2011 (first published January 8th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Tiger of Talmare, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tiger of Talmare

Trish
Sep 29, 2011 Trish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: paranormal, space opera, romance, suspense
I won this book to review from ARC from librarything. I thought this was a super sweet story and would have loved to have more of it. The story begins with the herione encountering the hero as she and a group of women make a hasty escape from a possible horrible future. The women will stop at nothing for a better life. Melissa Stark becomes the leader of the gang of distinct different identities of women that spend their time in a stolen starship pirating from others. The cast of women are hilar ...more
Netanella
"Tiger of Talmare" is novella-length futuristic romance with interesting characters that I'd love to read more about. Our eponymous "Tiger" is Zachary, a hybrid human-tiger who's fallen on bad times and is captured by female pirate Melissa, who'd stolen his spacecraft years ago. Poor Zach can't catch a break. Melissa pretends to be a bad-ass pirate of an all-female crew, but really, she's got a soft spot for the supposed criminal.

As Zach charms his way into the crew's good graces, the storyline
Laz the Sailor
May 04, 2012 Laz the Sailor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, smut
This story had the potential to be great, but it fell into some of the classic traps. There were some colloquialisms that were from today, not the future. The sexual tension was not over played, but Kindle says that the first serious sex was a 70% through, which is too long for me.
One specific annoyance was the repeated mention of Tiger's prodigious proportions, yet the heroine takes it all in one stroke, despite being abstinent for 10 years.
The futuristic world was fine, with enough detail to u
Spynonu
Nov 07, 2011 Spynonu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zach loses his ship to a female pirate Captain. He spends the next ten years dogging Captain Mel and her crew of female misfits trying without success to get his ship back.

Then by some perfect twist of fate he finds himself coming out of cryosleep on board the very ship that was stolen from him with the wicked pirate female intent on turning him over to some baddies for ransom money.

What ensues is humorous exchanges between the enamored Zach and Captain Mel with regular backup from the female si
Jamie
Nov 10, 2011 Jamie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was an ok read. I liked the premise. I really liked the female characters. It was short, I felt like there was a lot left out ... there could have been more details. I was not a fan of the dialogue at all ... and there's a lot of it. It is a nice idea for a sci-fi romance though.
Hannah
Feb 10, 2012 Hannah marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Dumb plot. Dumber characters. Awful writing.
Laura Greenwood

Title: Tiger of Talmare
Series: Frontiers of Love (#1)
Author: Nina Croft
From: Amazon
Genre: Sci-fi, Romance, Space Opera
Release Date: 9th September 2011
Challenges: 2016 Read the Books You Buy, Summer COYER 2016
Links: Goodreads - Amazon
Synopsis (from Goodreads): Melissa Stark will take on just about any job as long as the price is right. But this particular job she would gladly take on for free because Captain Zachary Knight has been a thorn in her side
Kristiej
Oct 30, 2011 Kristiej rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since this was one of the freebies at Kindle, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. So I was pleased that I found this to be quite a quick enjoyable read. The author packed quite a good story in a small package. Mel – short for Melissa, in escaping a brothel where she had been forced to live for many years, stole her spacecraft, the Revenge ten years earlier from Zach Knight, the product of a breeding program, making him mostly human with a little bit of tiger thrown in.

Mel and her all female crew
Sadie Forsythe
Feb 04, 2013 Sadie Forsythe rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-lendable
This was a fun, steamy little read and I almost gave it 4 stars. I really did enjoy it. It's well written, had a number of laugh out loud moments, and a couple yummy scenes. But then I started thinking about everything it didn't have. At 109 pages it is admittedly a novella, not a novel. But it should still have a whole story, shouldn't it? This feels like someone took a larger space opera - about a honourable captain who encounters a nefarious plan to take over the galaxy involving telepathic f ...more
Siren's Song
Sep 16, 2011 Siren's Song rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Nina Croft has completely changed my view of Space Operas. Tiger of Talmare is loaded with action, snark, heat, and a budding relationship that was destined in my opinion. The characters completely enraptured me. Mel, our rough and tumble heroine who has put up with more crap than anybody should ever have to, is a survivor who has managed to maintain her compassion to those she cares about. I like that about her. She's hard with a heart.

Zach, our sexy tig
Debra Johnson
Dec 21, 2016 Debra Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nina-croft
Tiger of Talmare (Frontiers of Love, #1) by Nina Croft
A Sci-fi Paranormal Adventure Romance.
I Loved it.
Well written and flows smoothly. Very funny, sexy, adventurous. Plenty of suspense and action that keep you invested in the story.
Both Tiger (Captain Zachary Knight) and Melissa Stark are great characters and VERY interesting. Nina Croft doesn't leave it at that though! She makes all her characters interesting and brings them into play, which adds depth and layers to the story.
A stand alon
Stephanie Wolf
May 06, 2012 Stephanie Wolf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
A group of men-hating women, led by Melissa Stark, take over a ship owned by Captain Zachary Knight.

Ten years later, during which time the ladies have become pirates, are to deliver a “package” to Sanderson. The package is Zach, and Sanderson wants him because he wants to eliminate him for what he knows about Sanderson trying to rule.

The ladies start to believe Zach and his story about how he is innocent and has been framed. But how do you deliver Zach and collect the much needed money and still
Kelly
Oct 28, 2011 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You guys know I'm a mood reader, right? As in, I choose my books based on the mood I'm in. Well, I was in the mood for some sexy, naughty sci-fi so I picked up this book. To be honest, I could have gone with more sex, but I was still pleased with the book overall. A lot of that had to do with Zach and his idiotic plan to seduce his way out of his problems. Well, that and when he got caught with his hands down his pants. I find that sort of stuff funny.

Spaceships, genetically engineered beings, t
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Okay, perhaps I'm overly sensitive but this should've been novel-sized instead of a novella. Maybe then I would've enjoyed this more because 1) the insta-love I couldn't accept especially since 2) the female protagonist had in the past been raped on a daily basis for over a year, ten years before she tangos with the man, the first she'd come close to since then, she would fall for. Although it was approached in a considerate way I was still uncomfortable and not quite believing she would so easi ...more
Brutally Honest
Look at that, a sci-fi romance without annoying asshole macho guys! It was extremely gratifying to see the heroine stick up for herself throughout the entire book and not give in like a simpering wet rag within two pages. Also, the hero had a healthy dose of not taking himself too seriously, which is the main problem with romance guys. I could only give it three stars due to shortness and the general silliness of the story. I mean, they knew reach other for maybe a full week by the end of the st ...more
Carolyn F.
This book started out way slow to the point where I took about 3 weeks to get back to it. Then about halfway through I finally started liking it.

Mel stole Zach's ship and 10 years later as a pirate she steals his cryo-encased body to be disposed of. The cryotube breaks and it's either thaw him out or let him die. Since it's deliver him alive she lets him live and she finds out she's attracted to him. After the initial flirting/double entendre conversation, I started liking the way they interacte
Georgeanna
Oct 02, 2011 Georgeanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun, sexy, sassy, science fiction, paranormal, mystery, romance. It all adds up to Nina Croft's terrific new book 'Tiger of Talmare'. I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading, but I was sucked right into the story from the beginning. The dialog was great and, at times, I laughed out loud. The love scenes weren't overdone, and no one changed character and got all sappy. The women are feisty and smart, and Zach is yummy and funny. What more could anyone want? Well, maybe another story f ...more
peachbird76
I really enjoyed this book. I got it for free so I enjoyed it even more because of that. lol

The book was quite short and I would have loved it to be a bit longer.

The bantering between the H and h was very good. I thoroughly enjoyed their interactions with each other.

The story held my interest all the way through and left me wanting more.

The sex scenes weren't that plentiful and it took awhile to get to the first one. It was ok but didn't really sizzle.

All in all I would recommend this book. It w
Lyndsey
I have to say that my actual rating was 3.5 but unfortunately I can't put that on here and didn't think it deserved 4 stars. Overall it was a good story but it felt like something I had read before. Not that I had, mind you, but there wasn't anything surprising about what was happening or how things would come to a close. It was just missing... something. I don't know. Anyways, not a bad read during your spare time. Happy reading.
Susan
Oct 17, 2011 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been a fan of scifi space operas since I was a teenager and read Heinlein's Podkayne of Mars. In Tiger of Talmare, the heroine charts her own destiny, unlike poor Poddy. I enjoyed the role reversal of a kickass female pirate with an all-female crew. As with other reviewers, I read this novella in one sitting, LOLing at times too. It was a fun, enjoyable read, with characters that one wanted to succeed. I would definitely read more by Nina Croft.
Elizabeth
Mar 10, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My only problem with this story, it was too short. Anyone who is a fan of Joss Whedon will love this book. And if you're not then you are missing one hell of an adventure story. Excellent story and great characters made for a super book. I can't wait to read more by this author. Great job and an excellent way to spend an afternoon on the sun.
Pete
May 18, 2012 Pete rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Strong female characters, over confident male shut down, steamy sex and Sci-Fi. This was a short book, and I am definately going for more Nina Croft. I loved the intrigue of mind-reading and use of poisons. What fun!
Larry B Gray
Nov 06, 2011 Larry B Gray rated it really liked it
Very good story and easy to follow and read. The charactors and plot left me wanting to read more of their adventures.

This story does have adult content and as such I recommend it to an adult audience. Very good book.
Vivian
Nov 02, 2011 Vivian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-pn, sci-fi
Snarky humor space opera with an all female crew and their genetically bred prisoner. The interactions remind me of the original "Star Wars" with the sarcasm and underplayed violence. Mel stands in as Han Solo and Tiger channels Princess Leia.
Kerr
Oct 19, 2012 Kerr rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-deleted
Another great idea but lacking in delivery. All happened a bit fast and was little development
AnnaM
Nov 18, 2012 AnnaM rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-sfrs, sfr
I enjoyed this story and the characters. There was some humor, some heat and some action. I liked the main characters and thought they had good chemistry.

Altogther it was a fun read.
Lisa
Jul 28, 2012 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story, kind of predictable. I hope Frontiers of Love #2 is better.
LadyCroft86
Dec 29, 2011 LadyCroft86 rated it liked it
Shelves: on-my-kindle
Entertaining but pretty short, I would have liked more story but it was still an ok read.
Cora
May 23, 2013 Cora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Much funnier than I'd thought it would be. Sadly, it was too short for me, but at least there wasn't an asstastic cliffie.
Dona
Oct 15, 2012 Dona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Wish it was possible to give half stars. This is better than a 3, but not really a 4. 3.5 is the right score in MHO.

It's a fun little novella that doesn't take it's self too seriously.
  • No Quarter (Bounty, #1)
  • Tyger,  Tyger, Burning Bryght (Orion, #1)
  • Thief (Fringe, #1)
  • Anja's Star (Outer Settlement Agency, #1)
  • Brianna (Celestial Passions, #1)
  • Nyssa's Guardian (More Than Male, #1)
  • Accepting The Impossible (Guide to Armageddon #1.0)
  • Love Lust (Vegas ParaRealm, #1)
  • Her Cyborg Awakes (Diaspora Worlds, #1)
  • Claim Me
  • Elfbitten (Taryn Malloy Fantasy, #1)
  • Dual Abduction (Alien Abduction, #3)
  • Replicant (The Kithran Regenesis, #2)
  • Spice ‘n’ Solace (Galactic Alliance #1)
  • Tor (Werewolf Fight League #1)
  • Grogoch (Bedtime Stories, #2)
  • Believe In the Magic (Shifting Magic, #1)
  • Fortune's Hero (Soldiers of Fortune, #1)
Growing up in the cold, wet, north of England, Nina Croft spent a lot of time dreaming of faraway sunnier places and ponies. When she discovered both, along with a whole load of other things, could be found between the covers of a book, her life changed forever.

Later, she headed south, picked up the perfect husband along the way, and together they volunteered to work in Africa. There they discover
More about Nina Croft...