Start by marking “Tide of Souls” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Tide of Souls

Simon Bestwick

Tide of Souls (Tomes of the Dead)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  9 reviews
IT'S NOT JUST THE WATERS RISING...
Flash floods devastate Britain. But the terror is just starting, as an army of the living dead emerge from the waters to hunt down the survivors. For Katja, after a year held captive by a brutal vice ring, it's a constant fight to stay alive, but also a chance to win her freedom.
McTarn, an ex-soldier haunted by his past, is press-ganged in
Published September 16th 2011 by Rebellion Publishing Ltd (first published July 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Tide of Souls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tide of Souls

John McNee
At this point I suppose we should all be over zombies. Over recent years we've been bombarded with them in every form from every possible angle. Is there any new way of tackling the zombie apocalypse that would make it interesting again? In 'Tide of Souls', Simon Bestwick changes things up in a way that at first seems fairly (for lack of a better word) 'shallow'.

The cities are quickly flooding and out of the depths rise the green-eyed armies of the undead. So the few survivors must contend with
Richard Wright
I've been reading Simon's short fiction for over a decade, have watched him progress fantastically as an author, and was very impressed with his novella 'The Narrows' in the We Fade to Grey antho earlier this year. Tide of Souls is the first novel-length piece of work of his I've tried, written for a range of unconnected zombie books published by Abaddon Books. I enjoyed it very much, though I'm struggling to find much original in zombie fiction these days, no matter how good they might be in th ...more
Kim Dallaire
This story is told in three perspectives as the story unfolds, first a civilian, then military, then scientific. I was sad to leave each narrator behind, but each was as good as the last. This book brings an interesting twist to zombies, zombies not only created from the drowning victims of the melting ice caps, but also having a sort of hive mind controlled by... Can't tell, it's too good. Honestly one of the best, most claustrophobic zombie books I have ever read.
Whispering_kage
It started out good and I loved the charaters the only thing that annoyed me was the hint of romance btwn two of the characters only to have the female fall for someone else. The concept for the zomibes was a new and welcomed idea. The ending though, for me, was seriously lacking.
^_^,
Paul Hollis
this is what zombies and horror should be,scary and fun with characters you care about.
Mark
The world is slowly being flooded but it’s not the water level you need to worry about, it’s the glowing-green-eyed monsters within. This is the debut novel from Simon Bestwick (point of interest - I have known Simon for the best part of 10 years now and admire his writing greatly), part of Abbadon’s ‘Tomes Of The Dead’ series and is exceptionally assured. And, as with most of Mr Bestwick’s output, exceptionally well written.

Loosely broken into three parts - Katja, McTarn and Stiles - this tell
Thee_ron_clark
With the melting of the icecaps comes world wide flooding... and flesh eating zombies. Yes folks. You read that correctly, zombies and floods.

Anyway, Simon Bestwick brings you three main characters who become intertwined as the population of the planet seeks refuge from rapidly rising waters and the undead. I don't know. Maybe this is how Waterworld came to be. Skip that last thought. Strike bad sci-fi from your mind.

A former soldier finds himself reactivated, a white slavery prostitute finally
Jenevieve
Interesting take on zombies. The world gets flooded and the zombies rise from the depths, controlled by the sea. After thousands of years of people dying in horror and rage, those memories have imprinted on the sea and given it a sentience of sorts but one that only has those emotions. Can anyone figure out a way to stop it before the entire human race is wiped out?

I felt it took a long while to get really established and the majority of the interesting stuff happened in the second half. The fir
Smith
I was entertained. It has some gruesome bits. I guess the ending was a bit corny, but overall it kept me reading.
Peter Centorcelli
Peter Centorcelli marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Mickenzie Jensen
Mickenzie Jensen marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Shana Soto
Shana Soto marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Shania
Shania marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2014
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Lee Cooke
Lee Cooke marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Neil
Neil marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Jackylina Ketterman
Jackylina Ketterman marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Kim Rox
Kim Rox marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
Carol
Carol added it
Dec 19, 2013
Stephen Dymarcik
Stephen Dymarcik marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2013
Gianfranco Mancini
Gianfranco Mancini marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2013
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Faceless Let's Drink To The Dead Pictures of the Dark A Hazy Shade of Winter Angels Of The Silences