Start by marking “The Portal” as Want to Read:
The Portal

The Portal

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  117 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Vivian Carmichael has been hiding in the mountains for over a year now. Far from cell towers and video cameras, she's finally found a safe place to raise her four-year old son, Cody. Until the night he crawls into bed and whispers two words that fill her with terror.

"Daddy's home."

Running for her life now, she horrified to learn that her estranged husband is not quite huma
Published October 10th 2011 by Black Opal Books (first published October 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Portal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Portal

Blu
Originally published on Not Now...Mommy's Reading

The Portal by Christopher Allan Poe starts with a bang and doesn't let up! It's non-stop action with every turn of the page. Vivian Carmichael is on the run from her estranged husband who's went from merely dangerous to downright demonic. Thrown into the mix is a hired hitman who has served the Carmichael family for years and law enforcement agents - it's hard to tell the good guys from the bad guys in this terrifying thriller.

Vivian is the type o
Erin
I received this book as a Goodreads First Read.

The Portal is a very fast paced, action packed story. From the very first page the action starts and it doesn't stop until the book ends.

Vivian and her son Cody have been in hiding for a year when he climbs into bed and whispers the words Vivian fears the most, "Daddy's home". Vivian is now fighting for her and Cody's lives when she finds out she may be in over her head. Jarrod, her ex, isn't quite human anymore and Cody isn't quite himself. What is
Hazel Dixon-Cooper
Christopher Allan Poe rarely lets his readers take a breath. When he does, you'd better gulp it in quickly because he slams the air out of you on the very next page. THE PORTAL is part thriller, part paranormal-horror show, and all page-turning excitement. Poe's debut novel delivers on its promise of how far a mother will go to protect her child, and how far evil will go to get what it wants. I can't wait to read more books from fiction's newest Prince of Darkness.
K.H. LeMoyne
Oct 14, 2011 K.H. LeMoyne rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: readers who love Stephen King and Dean Koontz
Wonderful story. Fans of Stephen King and Dean Koontz will really enjoy this tale. The plot moves so fast it's hard to catch one's breath, but the twists and turns keep coming and you are never quite sure where this will end. I read the book straight through because there was just no good place to stop and put it down!
Sara
This was a book I had won from Goodreads as part of the First Reads program. The title and the description made it sound interesting, so I was eager to check it out. It ended up being ok. The writing style was choppy for my taste. A couple of times I had to read back a couple paragraphs to make sure I didn't miss anything because the transition from one thought or conversation to another was too quick. The premise was interesting, if a bit disturbing and gory (killer children's toys, little kids ...more
Joy
I won this book on Goodreads.

Wow! After the first page, you won't take a breath. The story takes off at a flat-out run and doesn't stop. Christopher Allan Poe does an amazing job keeping you on the edge of your seat. Weird and twisted, I loved it all!

I searched to see what else Christopher Allan Poe wrote and found nothing. Is this possible that this is his first novel? Impossible! It is written like a vetern. Probably the most suspenseful book I've ever read!!

If you like Dean Koontz and John Sa
Christine Hughes
Absolutely fantastic! Christopher Allan Poe's novel The Portal is one of the best two-thumbs-up, edge-of-your-seat paranormal thrillers I've read in a long time. From the first few pages, I knew I was hooked. High-stakes are presented in a whirlwind of tense immediate action right from the get-go. But it's not all creepy, keep-you-up-at-night thrills. In the middle of everything is the very real love between a mother and son that is absolutely relatable and believable. Definitely pick up this bo ...more
Bonnie Hill
A mother and a child in danger. A "daddy" with something desperately gone wrong. A place called Codyland, where "ashes, ashes, all fall down" is the theme of the day. And an ominous Mr. Vincent. Add Christopher Allan Poe's strong characters and killer pace, and you have a debut paranormal thriller that's sure to keep you turning pages all night long. This woman fighting to save her child is so skillfully drawn that she could have been in the same room with me. A scary, wonderful read.
Josh
Poe definitely has a unique style. The Portal was a heart pounder from the very first page. Clear and to the point. Great character development without beating the reader over the head with backstory. Well done!
Brandi Hitt
A heart pounding read, from page one until the end. The Portal keeps you guessing, with plenty of twists and turns. I loved it!
Dione Sage
Received a free copy through Goodreads Giveaways on May 28, 2012.

The Portal by Christopher Allan Poe is a thriller that takes off from the beginning of the book and doesn’t let up till the very end. This book is about Vivian Carmichael and her son Cody that are desperately trying to escape her husband Jarrod and the monster that he has become. There is however an even bigger threat to Cody that Vivian did not anticipate at first. Cody has an imaginary friend named Mr. Vincent and he wants Cody t
A. Sweeny
I bought this book a while ago despite it not falling into the genres that I normally read. And of course as soon as I picked it up I never put it down; that is until I was done at 4AM!
Christopher Allan Poe has a way with words and a natural talent in keeping the reader completely enthralled in this superbly suspenseful scary tale. The pace was perfect!

The plot is interesting and mysterious with well-developed characters that are realistic enough to fit in our normal lives. Although bloody at t
Aki
Aug 09, 2013 Aki rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: gave-up
Honestly, just because someone's related to Edgar Allan Poe, does not a genius make. Hell there are people who aren't fond of the original Poe's work.

This book...I couldn't make heads or tails of what was going on. And that's not said in a good way. I like being pleasantly surprised and kept on my toes, but this was so disjointed and convoluted that I wondered if the author suffered a blow to the head while composing it.

And I would expect an adult or teenager to know the difference between human
Carl Sr.
Christopher Allan Poe's, The Portal, was money well spent. Rarely does a book have enough suspense to propel me forward through the pages as this book did. I would put it on par with a Lee Child book.
Janelle
Fantastic, really sucked me in quickly and held me until the end! Very exciting edge of your seat stuff. I wish the descriptions of the characters were more detailed so I could picture them. My only criticism.
Kelly
Crreeeeppy! That pretty much sums up this exciting new author's book. Christopher Allan Poe knows how to write an action-packed thriller! Creepy toys, small children, sinister creatures and violence all converge in "The Portal".

I do not like horror movies or scary books, but I managed to make it through this one, as long as it was daylight. (I know-I'm a wimp). This book brings forth paranormal creatures and happenings in such a way that you must keep reading it just to find out what happens. T
Heather Williams
From page one, I couldn't put this book down. I haven't ridden an emotional roller coaster like that in a while. Christopher Allan Poe will knock the wind out of you, and won't even give you time to catch your breath before he does it again. This is a must read for anyone who loves a good thriller! Be prepared to dedicate a solid few hours of time to reading though, because you will want to read it cover to cover. I will be thinking about every sinister twist this book took for days to come. I c ...more
Stacy
I really liked this book. I could totally see it being made into a movie. It reminded me a bit of Stephen King. It was a little far fetched at times but that is to be expected in a horror book.
Craig
I would actually give The Portal 3 1/2 stars. The action was fast paced and the story was a quick read. I just wish the characters were developed more. So much back story was left out. Plus, a lot of the dramatic shifts felt a bit too abrupt. There was no real lead up to them.

Overall the story was a good first story. I would recommend it to fans of short horror stories based on video games (like the resident evil books) where the characters aren't as important.
Linda
This seems to be more of a sci-fi book instead of a mystery. One of the characters turns into a monster that can crawl on the ceiling (kind of like spiderman). A child has an imaginary playmate who is not really a playmate but the book doesn't come right out and explain who (or what) Mister Vincent really is. The book ends with the note that this is the end of book one so maybe book two will be more explanatory.
Alexis Wallace
Feb 05, 2012 Alexis Wallace rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of paranormal, thrillers, mysteries
Recommended to Alexis by: I won it in goodreads giveaway
This book had non-stop action from chapter one. Lots of blood and gore. Keeps you guessing, what kind of monster is this? At the end, it said 'end of book one.' Hopefully, if there is a book two, we will see more character development, and backstory, which this story is missing......this seems to have been done purposefully, to keep the intrigue for book two. All in all, an entertaining book.
Jeane
If you would have told me that the book was going to take such a dark twist at the end after reading the first half of the book I wouldn't have believed you. Good book over all, definitely a horror novel in my opinion which is not usually my cup of tea.
Jenn
A paranormal thriller. A nice break from the romances I've been reading.

This was a quick read, I read it in under a day. The story line kept the story going, and it kept me wanting more. So I read it all, couldn't put it down.
Eric Henson
A fast paced and well written Paranormal Thriller. If you're a fan of Dean Koontz-- THE PORTAL is for you. I definitely recommend reading this. No question, I'm looking forward to what Poe puts out in the future.
Jeanine
This is a can't-put-it-down book! I read it from beginning to end in a matter of hours. I'm looking forward to the next installment. Excellent story.
Michael Robertson
This book is pretty dope. It gets right to the point and it held my interest. I would recommend to anyone that likes King or Koontz.
Bethica
Really great scary story but was lacking in alot of description. Was really hard to hold my interest.
Teena
Did get and keep my attention. The little boy did get creep me out a bit too
  • Ghost Island
  • Brodmaw Bay
  • The Atheist's Daughter
  • My Dead Friend Sarah
  • Redemption
  • The Puppet Maker's Bones  (Death's Order, #1)
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Vol. 2 (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, #2)
  • Death, Be Not Proud
  • The Ruined City (The Veiled Isles Trilogy, #2)
  • Vampires and Vampirism
  • Waking the Dreamer
  • The Hooker's Daughter
  • One Little Speck
  • Not Before Bed (1st edition)
  • Blood and Sunlight: A Maryland Vampire Story