Start by marking “Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 3: 511 Kinderheim (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #3)” as Want to Read:
Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 3: 511 Kinderheim (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #3)

Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 3: 511 Kinderheim (Naoki Urasawa's Monster #3)

4.4  ·  Rating Details ·  1,541 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
An ice-cold killer is on the loose, and brilliant Dr. Kenzo Tenma is the only one who can stop him! Conspiracies, serial murders, and a scathing indictment of hospital politics are all masterfully woven together in this compelling manga thriller.

Tenma's on the run!! A wanted man, he's the prime suspect for the serial killings he's trying to stop. But he still manages to ed
Published June 20th 2006 by Viz Media (first published March 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 3

Van Reese
Feb 10, 2016 Van Reese rated it really liked it
Thrilling and intense action. I had to stay up past my bedtime to finish.
Becky
Feb 08, 2016 Becky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-i-read
Another fun fast read of Dr. Tenma's silly to have checked out one at a time from the library
Beela
Mar 05, 2017 Beela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
Hang on a second.... what do you mean they all fought to death...excuse me?!?!?!
Ashly Lynn
Sep 19, 2016 Ashly Lynn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of the first volumes.
Recommended to Ashly by: Love this series.
Synopsis

Dr. Tenma is from Japan but is working as a brain surgeon in Germany. He’s all set up for a promotion and to marry the head chairman of the hospital’s daughter. That is, everything seems to be going well until he decides to save the life of a young child instead of the right elite politician he’s supposed to be saving. Tenma’s career is already on a downhill spiral after disobeying orders and going against the underlying unfair politics of the hospital, but the consequences become far
Anna Kļaviņa
Dr Tenma is on the run, he is being suspect for murders he didn't commit! He saves a child from abusing foster parent and two people lives. He also learns about an orphanage, 511 Kinderheim where experiments on children happened and where little Johan was put in.
Don't you think Inspector Stockinger (Karl Markovics) would be perfect Inspector Lunge?
Katya
Jun 15, 2011 Katya rated it really liked it
Oooh, this is getting delightfully fucked up!
Kelly Mahaney
Oct 15, 2016 Kelly Mahaney rated it really liked it
Enjoying this series of graphic novels.
Diandra Fernandes
Está ficando mais sombrio e violento, já dá para ter uma ideia da origem e o motivo parcial de Johan ser o que é. Não entendo porque Tenma não se disfarça, todos o reconhecem. Gostei de Dieter.
Hud-c
Kristen
Tentative rating-- either 8.5/10 or 9/10
DUDE. This series just keeps getting better and better. I was really skeptical as it began, but it's really hit its stride. SO much happened this volume. There was a good deal of action, the plot got more complex, we got some new characters, and even more awesome stuff.

(view spoiler)
Jason
Nov 30, 2009 Jason rated it really liked it
(Combo review of vol.s 1-3)

Dr. Tenma is one of the finest neurosurgeons in Germany and his career is on its way up in a big way. Until, that is, he makes the ill-fated decision to operate on a young boy who has been shot instead of the mayor of Dusseldorf. He thought it was the right decision because the child arrived first, but his bastard of a boss thinks otherwise, and Tenma's career is effectively ruined....until, that is, the head of the hospital dies and Tenma gets his job. Turns out the m
Laras
Jan 27, 2017 Laras rated it really liked it
So far, up to Vol. 3, this has been a captivating read. A truly page turner that has a thrilling storyline, exciting plot, and is surprisingly not void of emotions--there are some depictions of warm and touching relationship between people.

In Vol.2, we start to see the scope of Johan's connection and his capability of influencing people. What's really interesting is the way he works by not only inflicting fears but also charming his victims. And in Vol. 3 there's story about his past that glimps
Jimmy
Aug 07, 2014 Jimmy rated it it was amazing
This is the continuation of the Monster Manga series. Once you start reading the first volume, you can’t put it down! With each volume the plot gets thicker and the suspense increases. I loved how the story takes place over different part of Europe; there is a feel that this is “Jason Borne” in Manga form! I thought it was also neat to see how this was originally in Japanese but the author and the artist gave great attention to detail concerning Europe, it’s “look,” the specific city and locatio ...more
Mike
Mar 05, 2012 Mike rated it it was amazing
Monster is a carefully constructed thriller that builds with each passing chapter. It really must be read from the beginning.

This is a fantastic volume featuring three multi-chapter tales that are kind of "side stories" but don't feel like it. Everything along Tenma's journey always relates back to his pursuit of Johan and/or revealing important details about our main characters and their personalities. The secondary characters are incredibly well developed and make quite an impression even when
quinnster
Jul 05, 2014 quinnster rated it it was amazing
After sitting on my shelf and renewing them twice from the library I finally started reading these (after stopping at volume two and not reading much of anything) again. I ended up tearing through them in a couple of days because I needed to know what happened!

The story flows so nicely. You're caught in this twilight time. It's not a tv show, it's not a novel, it's both. The suspense is definitely edge-of-your-seat and with each cliffhanger ending you automatically start reaching for the next vo
Justin
Jul 26, 2016 Justin rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
More of a character study than the earlier volumes, this installment of Monster may be slower-paced, but it still presents an interesting series of events. We get a feel for just how far Tenma's notoriety has spread, as well as a greater look into Johan's past and how it's connected to events in East Germany before the wall fell. We also get a new, recurring (presumably) character added to the cast, but I'm really not sure how he's going to fit in in the long run. However, given the quality of t ...more
Brad
Apr 01, 2015 Brad rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, mystery
Deep backstory now as a natural consequence of the good doctor's snooping in east germany, and now we're getting into the really creepy shit and imagery that is so uniquely japanese. You know, a little kid with a delighted smile sitting on a throne at the top of the stairs at an orphanage, watching how he had convinced 50 kids in an orphanage to rip each other apart. Classy stuff. Quite sick, but tastefully done. If such a thing can be done, of course.
We as readers were given the courtesy to see
Mikael Kuoppala
Jul 25, 2011 Mikael Kuoppala rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is the strongest volume yet. The contrivance that was a bit too apparent in the first two volumes is gone and the plot gets expanded by a big notch. A story about a brain surgeon looking for a serial killer who he saved and feels responsibility over is amplified by a chilling dimension of political thriller. Human experiments and terrorism get connected to the case, and as the plotting and characterization is as excellent as always, excellence ensues.
নাজমুল হাসান
The ending to the volume was a bit cliche, still it was good enough to get 4 stars. This one gives more background on the Monster's childhood and upbringing. Still his past is shrouded in mystery, but now the Doctor knows where he got the training needed to develop himself into the Monster he is now. Also the Doctor gets a companion that might pull him back from going astray if he loses to the human urge of hatred.
Robert Beveridge
Jun 19, 2008 Robert Beveridge rated it really liked it
Naoki Urasawa, Monster: 511 Kinderheim (ViZ, 1995)

Urasawa takes a minor break from the plot here (though it does advance in a few scenes) and has Tenma discovering, and then delving into, Johan's origins. Fascinating stuff, if a touch contrived (and far too light on detail). Tenma also picks up an obligatory adorable sidekick here. Fun, as usual. ***
Nicolas Ronvel
Un tome plaisant à lire, avec des chapitres qui font avancer l'intrigue (dont une partie des origines de Monster), et d'autres, plus calmes, plus coulants, qui construisent les personnages.

Reste toujours ce décalage dans le dessin de certains personnages, mais ça se lit toujours bien, et c'est très bien mené.
Sara
Apr 28, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, seinen
Big revelations are made about the past of our villain. Inspector Lunge's home life is shown. He's basically the male version of Sarah Lund, only less endearing and more creepy. Tenma gains a sidekick who happens to have a past with similarities to that of the villain.
Joevarian
Aug 06, 2011 Joevarian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arts
When you find yourself interested in psychoanalysis, this manga is for you. The best of psychological thriller manga for me. This mangaka really knows how to build up our curiosity which makes this manga quite amazing.
Kate Mowery
Feb 23, 2011 Kate Mowery rated it really liked it
Finally managed to get my hands on and read the majorly elusive volume three of this series. Major revelations revealed. It's great. Not sure why it's so impossible to find and all the others are readily available.
Diana Lynn
Jan 19, 2015 Diana Lynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Loving it...I get a bit of a Death Note vibe mixed with the game Heavy Rain. Both of which I love and I just can't wait to see where the story goes from here. 8/10.
Amy
Dec 31, 2008 Amy rated it it was amazing
I really like those moments Tenma has with little kids...

Suzydumeur
Jul 29, 2011 Suzydumeur rated it it was amazing
Chéri ? Quand est-ce que tu achètes la suite ???
Nia
Feb 10, 2009 Nia rated it really liked it
Shelves: komik, urasawa-naoki
Adakah seorang dokter sehebat Tenma, yang mengobati luka dengan staples dan mengoperasi tumor otak dengan gergaji....?
andrew
Jan 29, 2014 andrew rated it liked it
I am questioning continuing for the first time, but not seriously. This felt like a massive filler.
Jana
Dec 21, 2010 Jana rated it liked it
I think I will take a break from the series, though I DO like the story. The person who recommended them to me (my son) read them all in a short period. I don't seem able to do that.
  • Mushishi, Vol. 2
  • Adolf : A Tale of the Twentieth Century
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 6 (Eden: It's an Endless World, #6)
  • Gantz/5
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Vol. 2 (Ōoku: The Inner Chambers / 大奥, #2)
  • Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, Volume 3 (Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad, #3)
  • Blame!, Vol. 9
  • Vagabond Vol. 32
  • Saikano: The Last Love Song on This Little Planet, Vol. 03
  • Twin Spica, Volume: 04
  • The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Volume 3
Urasawa Naoki (浦沢 直樹) is a Japanese mangaka. He is perhaps best known for Monster (which drew praise from Junot Díaz, the 2008 Pulitzer Prize winner) and 20th Century Boys.

Urasawa's work often concentrates on intricate plotting, interweaving narratives, a deep focus on character development and psychological complexity. Urasawa has won the Shogakukan Manga Award, the Japan Media Arts Festival exc
More about Naoki Urasawa...

Naoki Urasawa's Monster (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 1: Herr Dr. Tenma (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #1)
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 2: Surprise Party (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #2)
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 4: Ayse's Friend (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #4)
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 5: After the Carnival (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #5)
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 6: The Secret Woods (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #6)
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 7: Richard (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #7)
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 8: My Nameless Hero (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #8)
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 9: A Nameless Monster (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #9)
  • Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 10: Picnic (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #10)
  • Naoki Urasawa Präsentiert: Monster, Band 11: Toter Winkel (Naoki Urasawa's Monster, #11)