Start by marking “Second Ring of Power” as Want to Read:
Second Ring of Power

Second Ring of Power (The Teachings of Don Juan #5)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,497 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
ENTER THE SORCERESS!

Back from the abyss, Castaneda encounter his greatest test on the journey towards impeccability and freedom: to outwit and overpower the sorcery of Doña Soledad, herself transformed from a defeated and meaningless life to a warrior, a hunter and a "stalker of power."

Now the combat will begin. Now the journey will continue. Till the last danger is faced.
Published April 1st 1991 by Washington Square Press (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Second Ring of Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Ring of Power

Brian
Nov 04, 2009 Brian rated it it was amazing
I continue to wonder if Castaneda's books are fact or fiction.
David
May 07, 2013 David is currently reading it
started reading again, soledads a bitch yo
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Second Ring of Power (The Teachings of Don Juan #5), Carlos Castaneda
اگر با آثار کاستاندا آشنایی ندارید، لازم میدانم توضیح دهم که: این کتاب (دومین حلقه ی قدرت) پنجمین کتاب از مجموعه ی ده کتاب است که کارلوس کاستاندا در طول عمر خود به نوشتن آنها اقدام نمود برای آشنایی با جهان بینی ای که او تلاش در بیان آن در این مجموعه ی آثار را داشته و در زمان خود (دهه های هفتاد تا نود قرن گذشته) بسیار مورد بحث و جنجال در میان روشنفکران معاصر بویژه در دنیای غرب قرار گرفت، بایستی از خوانش نخستین کتاب آغاز و ب
Christa
Aug 18, 2009 Christa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 50-book-08
Drawing the threads closer from all the previous books and stepping up into his role as the Nagual, Carlos's outdone himself. I couldn't read this book awhile back, and then the other day I was able to pick it up and start blasting through. Amazing. The rhythm of questioning is more obvious to me now and the pace of questioning skeptic/apprentice/intuitive sorcerer is even clearer. Great read.
Anastasia
Aug 27, 2013 Anastasia rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-books
I read this book within two days because i couldn't put it down! In order to understand it, it's a must to read the last previous books or else you will be lost! It gets somewhat complicated, but if you've read the previous books you can comprehend it pretty well, this book also deserves at least two reads because you'll be able to find different answers all the time. Once you begin comprehending you will finally be addicted to the writings of Carlos, his descriptions are so thorough. It paints ...more
Douglas Mackenzie
Jun 06, 2013 Douglas Mackenzie rated it it was amazing
probably my favourite castanada book.
as a kid, this series of books fell into my hands and i avidly devoured them all, each one taking me more into the magical world of Don Juan and Sorcery..
The first of the series that deals with the female sorcerors of the lineage, and details explicitly some of their rituals and powers, all tied up in a series of inner and outer world adventures that transports my imagination to the frightening and magical rural world of mexico.
reading it now, it still has
Greg Guma
Mar 18, 2016 Greg Guma rated it really liked it
The Warrior's Path: Carlos Castaneda began to write about sorcery and power during graduate school at the University of California. His first book, The Teachings of Don Juan, described his experiences with hallucinogenic power plants and introduced a new shaman to millions of readers.

Over the next decade he produced three more reports, focusing on the nature of power and changes in his own world view. The fourth book, Tales of Power, felt like the last. After all, the student-author completed hi
Jake
May 24, 2015 Jake rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unfinished
Unfinished. This is book 5 in a series. Had I been given the first in the series, my opinion may have been different. Carlos, (now deceased) should have been courteous enough to label his books instead of call his 5th book "The Second Ring of Power." I could have adapted to reading the second in a series or have gone to a used book store and bought book one, but I'm not going back FOUR books to read this one.

Also, his character's narration seemed a little silly for me. I don't know, maybe it is
CD
Jun 18, 2011 CD rated it it was ok
June 2011

Another box of books has been reopened for cleaning, sorting, and reevaluation and lo and behold, many of the collected works of Carlos Castaneda are part of the contents.

Many years have gone but I remember this author and his works vividly. [Now don't get any ideas as to an allusion I may or may not be making] At some point I stopped purchasing more in the series and put them away. There's a 'blur' factor as I recall that happens with these stories of the metaphysical and magical journ
Wiser
Aug 15, 2008 Wiser rated it did not like it
SUCKS!
Sternej
Jun 15, 2012 Sternej rated it it was ok
The fifth book in the series and so far the least satifying. here's why.
A well balanced Castaneda book has the following elements/styles
1) Dialog and teachings about the Sorcerer's belief system (questioning also to refine understadning)
2) Journeys / vision quests Travel to places for the purposes of exercising some of the teachings, preparation for the same
3) Magic - Surreal expierences from other realities that are percieved through discipline or use of Power plants (although that seems to end
Dawn Buffham-Bates
Enter Dona Soledad, La Gorda, Josefina, Lidia and Rosa. This is the first time that the 'sisters' and Pablito's mother have featured heavily in the series. Having been mentored by Don Juan and Genaro, they, along with Pablito, Nestor and Benigno (The Genaros) are all now ready to take things to an all new level with Carlos.

Having had time to think about his teachings from Don Juan and read his copious amount of notes taken during his time with Don Juan, Carlos is now ready to take a leap of fai
Don Pintor
Apr 09, 2016 Don Pintor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Se puso buena la cosa. Una vez que empecé, no pude soltar el libro. Tiene muy buen ritmo, profundiza en los personajes y aporta muchas imágenes interesantes. Es el mejor logrado de los 5 que he leido, justo antes de Relatos de Poder. Me entusiasma que la calidad de la escritura de Castaneda va subiendo con cada tomo. Ojalá así sigan creciendo los demás libros.
Sep 15, 2007 Laura rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Pagans
Shelves: witchynonfiction
I am going to give the same review to all the Carlos Castaneda books I read in that series, simply because they are all outstanding. I was lucky to come across Castaneda very early on my magickal path. My spells and rituals have always relied on the power of intent, and I have found no better education on how to focus your intent than in this series of books. Back then (1994) they were classifed as nonfiction. Lately, they say they are fiction. All I know is much of what is in these books works. ...more
Budd Turner
Reread after 30 years. Better this time.
Maksims Trivaškevičs
Mar 25, 2014 Maksims Trivaškevičs rated it it was amazing
A work of psychodelic genius.
Patrick
Jul 15, 2011 Patrick rated it it was amazing
Castaneda was a graduate student studying Anthropology and was doing his thesis on Mexican Shaman and their use of regional plants and herbs to induce psychotropic effects in an attempt to cure people of various illnesses. Castaneda starts off with a scientist view, as a skeptic and later is blown away by what happens to him, which then becomes his life long pursuits. If you plan on reading these books, start with the Yaqui Way of Life, which is the first book and be prepared to be engrossed in ...more
Mahjepe
Jan 27, 2016 Mahjepe rated it did not like it
Fiction Not Faction
David Gordon
Feb 15, 2014 David Gordon rated it it was amazing
I will reread this
Simar
Jul 29, 2011 Simar added it
It's just been getting better and better and better! This is by far Castaneda's most fast-paced book. Less of note-taking, a whole of of female energy, one week of madness, no time for confusion, the warrior's most vivid entry into the nagual, tricks and risks that would make don Juan and don Genaro proud of their apprentices. Read it sitting in a remote village in the Himalayas with the wind howling from morning to night, and eagles circling around the ridges. It's time for the Eagle's Nest.
Stephen
Jan 11, 2015 Stephen rated it really liked it
I could hardly put the book down, but I only have limited time to read.
May Santiago
Sep 21, 2007 May Santiago rated it it was amazing
I started reading the Carlos Casteneda books when I was a young teenager. I read them all except for this last one and finally 30 years later finished it and it almost seems appropriate to have waited and to fully comprehend Casteneda's journey through other worlds that exist simultaneously as we exist. As a youngster this book opened all doors to possibility above and beyond our everyday lives.
Danny
Apr 10, 2008 Danny rated it really liked it

Not my favorite of his. Carlos goes back to Mexico a while after his apprenticeship ends and finds that Don Juan left behind other apprentices that he apparently knows nothing about.

His interactions with his cohorts always annoy me. Still entertaining and worth the read, although it shakes up the whole 'world vision' he'd created in his previous books.
Ivinela Samuilova
Nov 04, 2013 Ivinela Samuilova rated it it was amazing
All books of Carlos Castaneda are very important to me. He (and his Don Juan), Vadim Zeland - writer from Russia, quantum physicist and Alexey Bachev - an unusual psychologist from Bulgaria, protagonist of my book Life Can Be a Miracle have shaped my way of thinking, perceiving, experiencing the reality. Very grateful for showing me the miraculous way of living!!!!
Nicole Diamond
Apr 30, 2016 Nicole Diamond rated it did not like it
If it has one star I liked it a lot
If it has two stars I liked it a lot and would recommend it
If it has three stars I really really liked it a lot
If it has four stars I insist you read it
If it has five stars it was life changing
Cheryl
Jun 19, 2011 Cheryl added it
Personally I have no concern with whether these books are fiction or non-fiction, I found them to be good friends. Some very enjoyable tricks learned in the choices I makes when interacting with my environment.
Mark
Oct 28, 2012 Mark rated it it was amazing
"Second Ring of Power" is another example of Castaneda's superb storytelling talent and one of his best. Action and total comittment are paramount to full self-realization, not arm-chair theorizing.
Russell
Such a great book to read in these times. We do forget that spirituality does not mean there is a god.
Víctor Tejeda
Jul 22, 2013 Víctor Tejeda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No es el mejor de la serie pero es un libro necesario en el universo de Carlos Castaneda.
Shokufeh شکوفه  Kavani کاوانی
کارلوس کاستاندا در زمانیکه سخت محتاج راهنما بودیم ؛ دستمان را گرفت....
storyline 4 21 Aug 04, 2012 11:12AM
  • The Teachings of Don Carlos: Practical Applications of the Works of Carlos Castaneda
  • The Witch's Dream: A Healer's Way of Knowledge
  • The Sorcerer's Crossing: A Woman's Journey
  • Sorcerer's Apprentice: My Life with Carlos Castaneda
  • The Center of the Cyclone: Looking into Inner Space
  • The Varieties of Psychedelic Experience
  • When the Impossible Happens: Adventures in Non-ordinary Realities
  • Singing to the Plants: A Guide to Mestizo Shamanism in the Upper Amazon
  • Entering the Circle: Ancient Secrets of Siberian Wisdom Discovered by a Russian Psychiatrist
  • In Search of the Miraculous: Fragments of an Unknown Teaching
  • Return of the Bird Tribes
  • Soul Retrieval: Mending the Fragmented Self
  • The Sevenfold Journey: Reclaiming Mind, Body and Spirit Through the Chakras
  • Zia Summer
  • The Secret Science: For the Physical and Spiritual Transformation of Man (Hermetic Philosophy, Book 1)
  • Views from the Real World: Early Talks Moscow Essentuki Tiflis Berlin London Paris NY Chicago as Recollecte
  • The Way of the Shaman
  • The Long Trip: A Prehistory of Psychedelia
Carlos Castaneda (December 25, 1925 – April 27, 1998) was a Peruvian-born American author. Immigration records for Carlos Cesar Arana Castaneda indicate that he was born on December 25, 1925 in Cajamarca, Perú. Records show that his surname was given by his mother Susana Castañeda Navoa. His father was Cesar Arana Burungaray. His surname appears with the ñ in many Hispanic dictionaries, even thoug ...more
More about Carlos Castaneda...

The Teachings of Don Juan (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge
  • Fire from Within
  • Power of Silence
  • The Art of Dreaming
  • Magical Passes: The Practical Wisdom of the Shamans of Ancient Mexico
  • The Wheel of Time: The Shamans of Mexico Their Thoughts About Life Death & the Universe

“The hardest thing in the world is for a warrior to let others be.” 15 likes
“...that was the way human beings are; they love to be told what to do, but they love even more to fight and not do what they are told, and thus they get entangled in hating the one who told them in the first place.” 13 likes