Start by marking “Black Butler, Vol. 09 (Black Butler, #9)” as Want to Read:
Black Butler, Vol. 09 (Black Butler, #9)

Black Butler, Vol. 09 (Black Butler #9)

4.54 of 5 stars 4.54  ·  rating details  ·  4,004 ratings  ·  91 reviews
Earl Ciel Phantomhive’s quietude is interrupted as Queen Victoria’s very own butlers commandeer Phantomhive Manor for a lavish banquet sanctioned by Her Majesty. Preparations for such an event are quick work in the hands of Sebastian, the house’s most able butler, but corralling the eminent guests may prove to be rather more of a challenge. For this dinner party is anythin ...more
Published April 24th 2012 by Yen Press (first published June 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Black Butler, Vol. 09, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Butler, Vol. 09

Rose
Hi again, Black Butler. I'm not sure what kind of relationship this is. I mean, I'm committed to you. I do plan to read you until your writers decide to end it between us but you're just so meh at the moment. You had a few volumes that were fun and that made me want to read the next one immediately. The last few volumes... let's just not talk about them. I don't want to fight, you know, also, if I think about your last few volumes too much I will Zzz away because honestly: so boring. I liked vol ...more
Vanessa
Black Butler is a jack of all trades when it comes to manga. It's only been around for going on six years, but in that time it has factored in several tropey-as-all-hell plots: a food tournament, a circus, a locked room murder mystery, a sinking ship infested with zombies, and now a mysterious boarding school. Volume 9 is set squarely in the murder mystery arc, and it's not too bad, to be honest.

The manga starts off with Ciel being paid a visit by Charles Grey and Charles Phipps, Queen Victoria'
Chivitouille

Esta historia es un completo punto y aparte de lo sucedido anteriormente, esta claro que después de lo acontecido los secretarios personales y mayordomos de la reina estarán más pendientes de lo que haga Ciel.
Y son estos quienes tienen una entrada que rompe con la tranquilidad de la mansión, ocasión ideal para ver que uno de ellos, Charles Grey, tiene unas habilidades asombrosas comparables con las de Sebastián o Agni, el cual tanto por su entrada, como por su personalidad me ha resultado intere
Yvensong
A dark and stormy night, a locked-room mystery, an opera singer named Irene and and writer named Arthur are just some of the teasers in this new story arc.

This felt slow to me compared to the last few volumes, and I probably should have taken a brief break between the last one and this one. It was also not as creepy and disturbing as the last story arc.

As in previous story arcs, characters that were only briefly seen or met at the end of the last volume bring about the inciting incident that st
Cornerofmadness
Sakura Yue Michaelis
This volume was amazing! Especially after the one with the Circus, the Baron and the creepiness... Or is it because I stopped reading the manga for so long? Anyway, this volume reminded me of And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie: a group of person locked in a mansion, and then mysterious murders began to happen. And that they have to remain together, to avoid the murders and at the same time, to prevent the murderer to act.

There are new characters, such as the Charles (whom, so far, I am
Ladiibbug
#9 Black Butler series - Manga

This locked room mystery wasn't as interesting and fun as the other books. I wouldn't want to miss one page, though.
Sara
Nandayi Kokonya
This arc was simply masterful!! I read it in one sitting through and through! By the time I finished it the sun had already risen, my eyes were swollen but I was one very gratified reader!! Toboso Yana sensei definitely brought her absolute best to this one. I felt like I was reading a great Victorian England murder mystery! Not to mention a very celebrated murder mystery writer cleverly made a cameo in this arc. Ohh, my Victorian England murder mystery loving self's muscles were tingling with e ...more
Gigi
this volume is reminding me a lot of agatha Christie' s novel And Then There Were None but that's mainly because of the same mystery plot that is widely used in a series to find fun ways of portraying the characters we like: 1.someone unknowingly dies on a stormy night in a place that is practically isolated from the outside world 2.realisation of the killer being one of the guests or people around at the time. (somehow they all end up in this same room in this moment) 3. after some time passes, ...more
MissAnnThrope
17 January 2013

Black Butler, Vol. 9 has surprised me yet again. This series gets darker and more mysterious with every volume, and I am loving it! I love, love, love the dinner murder mystery plot. It felt like a manga version of Clue or an Agatha Christie story.

I get giddy every time Yana Toboso weaves in a real historical figure into the storyline. For all of you history buffs, look forward to cameo appearances from several important figures. My particular favorite was the professor who trul

This is, without a doubt, the best volume I’ve read of this series thus far. it’s sort of like Clue in that it’s a mystery murder. I was completely riveted the whole time and the ending left me needing more.

Some new characters are introduced for the dinner party, but Lau reappears, quick-witted as ever. The servants and Sebastian are there too, so there are plenty of familiar faces. I really loved the introduction to the writer that Ci
Dani
As we enter the next arc, the plot thickens! This time it's a murder mystery; when a guest is murdered, everyone is trapped within the Phantomhive manor... likely with the culprit. Ciel is the only one without an alibi, but even with him under observation, the situation continues to escalate. This new arc is deliciously dark and once again proves that this series is more than it first appears.

The main strength of this volume is the dramatic irony. (At least, I think it can still be dramatic iron
*Miss Fame*
Dang!! A dinner murder mystery scenario! I was pretty excited about this and how much fun it could be, but really

(view spoiler)

I noticed that Ciel is getting bigger and is looking
Judy (Geeky Reading)
~4-4.5/5
[Taken from my blog: http://geekyreading.blogspot.com/2012... ]

Oh my God I love this series so much. After the circus arc, because of how much I loved it (and, yea, I'm still upset about it), I wasn’t sure if whatever was next would be as good. And even when I first started this volume and found out that it was going to be a mystery plot, I wasn’t sure if it would be good, but it was. It’s still amazing and I love it.
I’m just kind of impressed by the fact that this series is still so goo
Heather
After the last arc that saw the revelations of some of the major characters, this new arc is almost refreshing in a way. It's a simple, yet classic, tale of murder with many new characters with different personalities locked in a house together until the storm passes or everyone dies. Sounds a little like "Big Brother" or "Survivor" but with beautiful art. Black Butler is known for the occasional supernatural element, but for Toboso to take a step back and play on the idea of a normal murder mys ...more
Kaitlin
This is definitely becoming one of my new favourite series. This is also the first time I've rated a volume 5 stars.

This volume contained part one of a good ol' murder mystery: A dark stormy night! The guests cut off from the outside world! Gruesome murders! Paranoia! Unexplainable events! Wild Theories!

A tiresome cliché of a storyline but Yana Toboso breathed new life into it. She definitely gave it a satirical twist, with the characters even commenting on how stereotypical the situation was a
Nina at Death Books and Tea
Review: So, the circus troupe are storming Phantomhive Manor. Luckily, the servants are around to take care of things. Meanwhile, Sebastian and Ciel bring the circus arc to a close. Volume seven left with the toupe planning to invade the manor. Volume 8 starts with this actually happens. And then the three servents...they...yeah.
Character development definitely happens. Well, not so much development, more like seeing the side of these characters that we’ve never seen before. We get Finny beating
Danielle
Volume 9 of Black Butler kicks off a new story arc. This time Earl Ceil Phantomhive and his demon butler Sebastian find themselves in a murder mystery reminiscent of Sherlock Holmes and Clue. There are some new characters introduced but don't get to attached because there's a killer on the loose who's slowly picking off the dinner party guests.

As always I'm in love with Yana Toboso's art. I'm not a huge murder mystery fan, but I enjoyed this more than the last book in the circus arc. On to volum
Sam
This volume finds the Phantomhive manor playing host to a lavish banquet for a number of important guests but events quickly take a turn for the worse as some of the guests find themselves murdered. As the remaining guests find themselves trapped as a storm batters the manor and even the strongest characters find themselves on the receiving end of the murderer's sights.
Holly Letson
I had read all around this volume, since the library seemed to order later volumes first. So, having read V10-V12 beforehand, I already knew what happened afterward. The novelty was lost on me. But, I was still happy to read it, thanks to Decatur Public Library.
--------------------
If you like mystery novels (or even mangas like *Detective Conan*), then give this series a chance.
Fernanda Malvido
i'm loving so so much this manga... i can't even!
i loved that this volume centers it's story plot around mistery and murder, the Sherlock Holmes mistery type which i love. There were many parts in the volume in which i was shocked and surpriced to the point i wanted to read more and more.
Miranda
This little party seems to have gotten interesting, hasn't it?

I must say that I love this story arc, even if the whole 'one of us must be the murderer since all of us are still in the mansion' thing is kind of an overused idea. But I technically enjoy all of the story arcs since I just love Black Butler in general. I can't say there was a single part of this volume that had me thinking "Blahblah *skips like 2 pages* Now let's get to the interesting part." Because I've been known for doing that w
Llc
La típica noche de misterio con asesinato y tormenta inclusive se vuelve especial gracias a los personajes carismáticos de Yana. Veamos cómo continúa esta parte de la trama. Hay un nombre que fue mencionado pero todavía no apareció. Seguramente juegue un papel interesante.
Kayla
Murder and mystery and mischief, oh my! Just another day at the Phantomhive Manor...Well until people start getting murdered...(view spoiler)
Reeva
Contains Spoilers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ciel's first little party at his mannor and it turns into a full on murder scene. The first to die was the perverted old man, next the young man who was to inherit a company, then.... Sebastian. Of course, we no Sebastian didn't die. It is called the Black Butler after all. Sebastian knew that he was going to be "killed". He ordered the servants to do stuff for the next daay because he already knew what would happen. Poor Ciel, they first thought he was the killer..
Rena
Jeez, I haven't updated reviews in a while. I am pretty sure this is the start of the murder mystery arc. Which turns into a real mind boggling story. I did enjoy this thoroughly.
Brett
Simply one hell of a book

This intention of black Butler fascinates my intentions overall was amazing and simply one hell of a black Butler book
Marie Graßhoff
Der Manga wird nie mein Lieblingsmanga sein, aber dieser hier hat mir bisher am besten von allen gefallen, glaube ich. Die Perspektive aus der Sicht des armen Autoren ist ja echt super - ich mag den Kerl wirklich total. Und nun dieser Kriminalfall. Okay, ich muss gestehen, dass ich mir denken kann, was dahinter steckt (und Sebastian soll tot sein? Bitte, der ist doch unsterblich! :D), aber Ciels Reaktion auf Sebs Tod war trotzdem einmalig. Wie er auf die arme Leiche eingeprügelt hat, Mensch ... ...more
BubbleTea734
  • Pandora Hearts, Vol. 09
  • Blue exorcist, Tome 5
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. 12: Poker (D.Gray-man, #12)
  • The Betrayal Knows My Name, Volume 2
Yana Toboso (枢 やな Toboso Yana) is a female Japanese manga artist born in Warabi, Saitama Prefecture, Japan and currently resides in Yokohama. She is best known for Black Butler (黒執事 Kuroshitsuji), a popular shonen manga series.

She has also written yaoi under the pen name Yanao Rock (簗緒ろく).

Appearance
Yana Toboso draws herself as a devil with a black body and horns, a white head, and a pointed tail.
More about Yana Toboso...

Black Butler (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 1 (Black Butler, #1)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 2 (Black Butler, #2)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 3 (Black Butler, #3)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 4 (Black Butler, #4)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 5 (Black Butler, #5)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 6 (Black Butler, #6)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 7 (Black Butler, #7)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 8 (Black Butler, #8)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 10 (Black Butler, #10)
  • Black Butler, Vol. 11 (Black Butler, #11)
Black Butler, Vol. 1 (Black Butler, #1) Black Butler, Vol. 3 (Black Butler, #3) Black Butler, Vol. 2 (Black Butler, #2) Black Butler, Vol. 4 (Black Butler, #4) Black Butler, Vol. 6 (Black Butler, #6)