Start by marking “Rameau's Nephew and First Satire” as Want to Read:
Rameau's Nephew and First Satire

Rameau's Nephew and First Satire

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  54 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Diderot's dialogue begins with a chance encounter in a Paris cafe between two acquaintances. Their talk ranges broadly across art, music, education, and the contemporary scene. This translation also includes the related work, 'First Satire'."
Published November 9th 2006 by Oxford University Press, UK (first published January 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Rameau's Nephew and First Satire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rameau's Nephew and First Satire

Justin Evans
Why would someone like Diderot, who could presumably have published a record of his own bowel movements and had at least a few people read all about it, decide not to publish a fairly amusing, often insightful text like RN, that clearly required a lot of work?

One reason might be that it's kind of a mess, which is fitting, since the Nephew himself is kind of a mess, but the other reviews on goodreads suggest that it doesn't add much to the reading experience.

Or, maybe Diderot was a bit worried
MJ Nicholls
Some editions lump this with D’Alembert’s Dream, others with “other works”—helpful!—but this Oxford Classics edition includes First Satire (some eleven pages). As the one-star rating makes plain, me no likey. Rameau’s Nephew is a rambling conversation between ‘ME’ and ‘HIM’ that feels like an indulgence, written very much for Diderot’s cultural circle, and a very dry run for Jacques the Fatalist. The bantering leans towards the philosophical, and far from being a philistine, I don’t read philoso ...more
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
Before I became a regular here at goodreads.com I used to while away my internet hours at chessgames.com. There, we discussed, watched and analyzed great chess games, some of them even while being played live in different parts of the world. But as in other social sites conversations among kibitzers were inevitable. And this was where the arresting beauty of chess was, to me, somehow neutralized: when the chess players began to talk (electronically).

I had thought this is a new phenomenon in this
Rahul
Book deals with subjects of great intellectual profundity and at the same time, too paltry to be written in a book. Though, book could to some readers such as myself, appear quite complex in structure and subjectivity due to no resemblance whatsoever in nativity, culture, interests, time period of what book seems to depict, but is worth a read after all. It was written in periods, when ample stress for entertainment, patronization, nationalism was laid on delicate fine arts, such as music, art, ...more
Nikolay Nikiforov
Оказывается, "достоевщина" была изобретена не Достоевским, а совсем другим автором, и на сто лет раньше. Разговоры про особенности французской оперы 18-го века сегодня вряд ли кому-либо могут быть понятны, но в остальном чтение увлекательное.
Daniel
Great book, I highly recommend the read.
dameolga
I read Rameau's Nephew in around six hours, and I could only do so because it was less of a philosophical feeling book than one of interesting, amusing, and insightful observations. This book is probably one of the more entertaining books I had to read for my Enlightenment and Critics class.
Philip Lane
Not really my cup of tea. A dialogue between two French men which seemed mostly about what it takes to be a good musician. Loads of references to artists and performers who I was not familiar with. Felt very dated. One or two pithy comments but hardly a weighty tome in ny view.
Lee
Read most of this. Started fiery-like but fizzled for me thanks maybe in part to holiday distractions.
Fill
Fill added it
Jul 28, 2015
Darren
Darren is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2015
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Yussef Sabat
Yussef Sabat marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Simon
Simon marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Stephen Bauer
Stephen Bauer marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2015
Avashni Dass
Avashni Dass marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Joshua Tapp
Joshua Tapp marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
-- marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Michael Giaccio
Michael Giaccio marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Daryn
Daryn added it
Apr 13, 2015
J.
J. marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Denis Diderot (October 5, 1713 – July 31, 1784) was a French philosopher, art critic, and writer. He was a prominent persona during the Enlightenment and is best known for serving as co-founder and chief editor of and contributor to the Encyclopédie.
Diderot also contributed to literature, notably with Jacques le fataliste et son maître (Jacques the Fatalist and his Master), which emulated Laurence
More about Denis Diderot...
Jacques the Fatalist The Nun Rameau's Nephew / D'Alembert's Dream Le neveu de Rameau Supplément au Voyage de Bougainville