The Price of the Stars

The Price of the Stars (Mageworlds #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  735 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Freebooter at heart, spacer by trade, Beka Rosselin-Metadi doesn't want to hear about how her father whose rugged generalship held back the Mageworlds -- or her highborn mother whose leadership has held the galaxy together since. Beka pilots spacecraft -- as far from her famous family as possible.Then Beka's mother is assassinated on the Senate floor, and her father offers...more
Published October 15th 1992 by Tor Science Fiction (first published October 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Price of the Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Price of the Stars

Margaret
So far, this is a series of seven (with, I think, a possibility of more). I would strongly recommend reading them in order, even though publication order doesn't match the internal chronological order; many secrets will be spoiled if you read out of publication order. This is a loose review of the series to date.

The first three -- The Price of the Stars, Starpilot's Grave, and By Honor Betray'd -- go together to tell the story of Beka Rosselin-Metadi, estranged from her family until her powerful...more
Paul
I read a very enthusiastic review of this series on a popular web site. Something in the review gave me the impression Debra Doyle was breaking new ground with these Mageworlds stories. Much of the science fiction I've read lately has been derivative, so I thought I'd try The Price of the Stars, the first book of the Mageworlds series. I'm disappointed to say there's nothing new here. What I read is essentially a Star Wars knockoff, a swashbuckling pirate story set in space. Only with less sex a...more
Jim
this is the first book in a fun space adventure that is now up to 6 or 7 books, several of which are prequels. Two civilizations are at war & the heroine is the rebellious daughter of the leaders of one civilization. A little corny, but a lot of interesting ideas & non stop action.
Mary JL
Jun 15, 2014 Mary JL rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science fiction/adventure fans
Recommended to Mary JL by: Found while browsing
Shelves: main-sf-fantasy
Beka Rosselin-Metadi did not want the Iron Crown of Lost Entibor to be placed on her head, ever. She had seen the burdens politics placed on her mother. So, she fled her home in Galcen to enjoy the free life of a spaceship pilot.

But now, she is seeking those who hired the killers who assassinated her mother, The Domina, on the Senate floor. Her father will be searching , too, of course--but he is very well known due to his exploits in the MageWars. Beka is relatively unknown--so hopefully it wil...more
Sherwood Smith
Margaret's review reminded me I hadn't added this series to my list. I love space opera, and this series is right there in my top favorites. It's got everything--action, humor, twists you see coming and look forward to, then there are the twists that you don't see coming, that cause you to go back and reread the series with a drastic change of perspective. There is even time travel, beautifully handled.
Linn
Sadly, some books do not survive the rosy glow of first reading. I read this series when I was in high school and recently asked my mother to send them to me so I could re-read them. I can recognize what I enjoyed about them, but reading them now, I didn't find them nearly as compelling as I did then. I found the story one-dimensional and the characters wooden. Hopefully the rest of the series adds some dimension to the characters, but I'm disappointed that I'm disappointed.

Admittedly, I finishe...more
Leslie
After reading the reviews for this book, I went to my local used bookstore and found it sitting on a shelf. I decided then and there to give it a try and bought it. I was pleasantly surprised and found myself immersed in Debra Doyle's futuristic world from the first page.

(I made sure to go to the bookshop the next week and I was lucky to find the rest of the series. Yay me!)

Great sci-fi! Very recommended.
Adobe
This is Star Wars fanfiction, and I mean that in the best possible sense: the copyrighted details have been changed, but the same heart beats here.
Li
A version originally posted at my blog: http://bookdaze.wordpress.com/2013/07...

*************************

Firstly, it’s space opera. It’s a sub-genre I love (and I kind of feel that it’s seen as the non-trendy thing nowadays with very few new releases) so I’m thrilled that I discovered this series. There’s full-on adventure and non-stop action as Beka, her siblings, and their companions race around the galaxy and try to stay alive while figuring out who the bad guys are and getting their revenge....more
Theo opening paragraphs to this book are amazing.
Ruth
It's a frequent lament among my sci-fi inclined siblings that The Price of the Stars will probably never have a movie. As space opera goes, the first 3-4 books of the Mageworlds series are our go-to recommendation. Price of the Stars sets the stage cinematically, presenting an engaging cast of characters without bogging down with politics or technicalities (or romance). Almost invariably written off by readers as a "Star Wars ripoff," the Mageworlds suffers only for having been published two dec...more
Lindsay Stares
Premise: Beka Rosselin-Metadi has no interest in being part of her famous family. She’s a brilliant spaceship pilot, and she’s happy working the trading lanes. But when her politician mother is assassinated, she’ll have to get interested in the politics of the galaxy. It’s the only way to stay alive, and bring her mother’s killers to justice.

I wanted some solid space action, and I got it! This book started a little slow for me, but it picked up. For one thing, apparently I didn’t read the back c...more
Gary
This book really hit all thrusters with me. It's a space opera, but with elements of "magic" thrown in. It's got humans and aliens, fast spaceships, betrayal, wholesale slaughter, fist fights, humor, hopeless situations, metaphysical battles, hidden identities, callous disregard for life, intrigue, blood, kidnapping, and probably a dozen more things I could type if I had a mind to. Oh, and a little sliver of romance, too. :)

Beka Rosselin-Metadi is the daughter of the Domina of Entibor, and she f...more
beppy
synopsis:
beka's mother has died, and she is now the leader of her people. her father offers her his ship if she will find the names of the people who wanted her mother dead and provide them to him. on one of her stops, beka is saved from an assassination by a man she calls professor. he tells her that there is a hit out on her and that it won't stop until she is dead, so she and the professor stage her death. along the way to finding answers, beka picks up some more crew members: her brother ari...more
Nancy
Anna
Beka Rosselin-Metadi is the youngest child of a powerful politician and the head of the galaxy's military forces, both of whom were responsible for essentially saving the universe at some point predating The Price of the Stars. Given the weight of all that prestige, and the fact that she is slated to inherit her mother's title as ruler of a now-dead planet, it's little surprise that Beka left town as soon as possible to become a freewheeling starship pilot. However, after her mother is assassina...more
Tracy
With the release of the series in ebook format, I revisited it. I read it for the first time when it was published (more years than I care to think about - wasn't I *just* a teenager last week?) and it was just as fun on the reread. It feels like nothing so much as a post-Star Wars AU, with all the space opera that implies. (and faked deaths, alter egos and girls disguised as deadly male assassins for hire - plus technomagic!)

This is the first of a proper trilogy, with 4 other books set as prequ...more
Samaya Young
I bought this book on a lark, really. I was scouring the sci-fi section of the 2nd hand bookstore out of habit more than anything when it sorta drew me. I don't often by books written in collaborations, so for the longest time I hesitated to even open it. Once I did, it took me one chapter to get hooked.
I liked the independent female protagonist and the fact that she thrived splendidly in a man dominated world. It is rare to come upon, especially when your main diet is romance novels.
Reading The...more
Lucy
I'll admit it: the Mageworlds series is a pretty blatant rip-off of Star Wars in many ways, mostly in the whole Adept/Mage thing which just can't read as anything but Jedi/Sith to me, as much as I'd like to say otherwise.

That said? I have always enjoyed the series. Once I got over my "haha, Star Wars I see you there", it was easy for me to be drawn into the book. I /liked/ Beka and her siblings, Ari and Owen. I adored Nyls Jessan. I was fond of Llannat and the Professor. It was easy to like the...more
Andrew
(Re-read)

I picked this trilogy up at least a decade ago, but it didn't leave much of an impression. Figured I'd go through it again. Conclusion: it's a pleasant but lightweight space-opera (unsubtly "Star Wars less stupid") which I will probably have forgotten again in another decade.

Good points: the authors know both medical practice and how life *really* works in the military. (Sure, it's a very U.S. Navy sort of far-future starship military, but if Battlestar Galactica can be functionally ide...more
Anna
I'd forgotten how much I like this series, this was probably my fourth or fifth re-read, and I'm really glad my copies survived all my moves and book purges.
Kari Chapman
I enjoyed this book pretty much from the beginning. The introductions of all the various characters were typically full of excitement and most of the left me wanting to know more about the characters. However, it was also a bit overwhelming - lots of people met fairly quickly and a lot of references to places, events, species and various magics with little explanation. It almost felt like this was the second series in a world. Eventually that settled down and I was able to place everyone and eve...more
Fietspomp
7.5 Number of story lines. Missed second part was looking for it for some time.
Larry
If you like Space Opera spiced with staff-wielding magic users then you won't be dissapointed with "The Price of the Stars". I suppose enough time has gone by to say that Mageworlds is inspired by Star Wars rather than just writing it off as a derivative work. I cheated and looked ahead to the synopsis of the remaining volumes and I'm intrigued about the larger story arc of this series. The good guys look like they're going to take a pasting before (or if) they emerge triumphant. Worth a read.
Ifurita
Probably my favorite space opera of all time. It has intensely likable characters, superbly written action scenes, and a plot that slowly becomes more intricate and layered than you would first expect.
Let me make it clear: I worship Beka. I love her attitude and her fearless and her combination of toughness and human weakness. I also love the way the series keeps throwing you unexpected curve balls until everything you think you knew is completely turned on its head.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Feb 25, 2011 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides marked it as decided-not-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Snail in Danger (Sid) by: mentioned in the What's the Name of that Book? group
Shelves: science-fiction
It started out all right, but I kept getting distracted by the fact that the characters almost all thought of themselves by their full names (and not just in their introduction scenes). And when your last name is Rosselin-Metadi that's a bit much. Also it just wasn't keeping my interest. (And it probably doesn't help that I was spoiled for the events of later novels in the series.)
Talkswithwind
This is space opera! This is not hard science-fiction at all, it's an adventure. For those who like adventures in space, but tire of long-winded expositions about how this nifty weapons system is really nifty, this is a very friendly series.

This first book sets up the rest of the Mageworlds series. It doesn't stand alone well at all, but the craft is pretty good.
Nathaniel Sanders
This book is a great example of using much when a little would do. In this case, the setting jumps from protagonist to protagonist to antagonist and back again when most of these characters are nearby or actually WITH the main (and only truly interesting) person. Add a fun yet simplistic plot and all the hopping about just serves to bog down the interstellar fun.
Adrith Bicchieri
Apr 14, 2008 Adrith Bicchieri rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: science-fiction fans
Shelves: pop-fiction
This is one of those books that I revisit again and again. If I am in a mood for an epic space story, this is the one I pick up. The writing is good, the characterization and plot development grab my interest and don't let it go until I've finished the series. I've read this book so much it's starting to come apart.
Melissa
Fun space opera with a bit of magic thrown in. Like Elizabeth Moon's sf books, but not quite as deep in the characters. Also the plot was a a bit revenge focused. But still much better written and better characters than the Honor Harrington books. Good enough that I'm going to look for the next one.
  • DarkShip Thieves
  • The Outback Stars (The Outback Stars #1)
  • Code of Conduct (Jani Kilian Chronicles, #1)
  • Peacekeeper (Major Ariane Kedros, #1)
  • Fledgling (Theo Waitley, #1; Liaden Universe, #12)
  • A Thousand Words for Stranger (Trade Pact Universe, #1)
  • Turning Point (Sholan Alliance, #1)
  • The Timegod (Timegod's World, #1)
  • The Phoenix in Flight (Exordium, #1)
  • The Better Part of Valor (Confederation #2)
  • Stardoc (Stardoc, #1)
  • Golden Witchbreed
  • Sassinak (Planet Pirates, #1)
  • Audacious (Kris Longknife, #5)
  • City of Pearl (Wess'har Wars, #1)
  • The Gate Of Ivory (Ivory #1)
  • Caliphate
  • Mutineers' Moon (Dahak, #1)
aka Nicholas Adams (with James D. Macdonald), Martin Delrio, Robyn Tallis (with James D. Macdonald)

Debra Doyle has a doctorate in English literature. Together, she and James Macdonald have written numerous sf/f books. They live in Colebrook, New Hampshire.

Series:
* Mageworlds
* Circle of Magic
* Bad Blood

Series contributed to:
* Tom Swift IV
* Robert Silverberg's Time Tours
* Daniel M Pinkwater's Melvi...more
More about Debra Doyle...
School of Wizardry (Circle of Magic # 1) Starpilot's Grave (Mageworlds, #2) By Honor Betray'd (Mageworlds, Book 3) Secret of the Tower (Circle of Magic #2) The Gathering Flame