The Spirit of Catholicism

The Spirit of Catholicism

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The Spirit of Catholicism is a brilliant and widely influential reflection on the fundamental nature of the Catholic faith and the Catholic Church. First appearing in 1924, this is a truly pioneering work of Catholic theology, one that had a major influence on subsequent theology.
Published November 1st 1997 by The Crossroad Publishing Company (first published 1924)

To ask other readers questions about The Spirit of Catholicism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Spirit of Catholicism

Catechism of the Catholic Church by The Catholic ChurchConfessions by Augustine of HippoOrthodoxy by G.K. ChestertonThe Imitation of Christ by Thomas à KempisMere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
Books that explain the Catholic faith
87th out of 136 books — 31 voters
The Imitation of Christ by Thomas à KempisCatechism of the Catholic Church by The Catholic ChurchMere Christianity by C.S. LewisStory of a Soul by Thérèse de LisieuxThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
Books for Catholics
185th out of 360 books — 86 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeff Miller
I had recently read Roots of the Reformation by Fr. Karl Adam who was a German Catholic theologian. I had heard many good things about this book and found it very insightful and an excellent read. Thus I moved on to another book of his The Spirit Of Catholicism.

This was unbelievably good with a unique viewpoint. As a general canvas of the Church and her doctrines while it has some apologetic tone to it, mostly it has a theological viewpoint that looks at the Church on a deeper level. It was one...more
Erik
Tour de force. I can see why this is on so many lists of Catholic books to read. This reads like a standard, although not of beliefs like the Catechism, but as the title plainly says, of the spirit of Catholicism, that is, how and why to live as a disciple of Christ. It is not a quick or "fun" read, but I got it from the library three times so I could digest it in my own time. This is a book I should buy.

Recommended by James Schall in Another Sort of Learning, Bibliography.

Included in the "Catho...more
Jed Park
Excellent explanation and exploration of the Catholic faith. Adam is charitable to other faiths without capitulating in matters of doctrine. Very highly recommended.
Michael
Super good read. It moves through grasping a view of Catholic Christianity. It helps the reader to see Catholicity from within, as one should view stained glass windows. I'll be re-reading this soon. A classic for understanding Catholic Christianity.
William
It is dated now.
Raymond
Raymond is currently reading it
Aug 07, 2014
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Charlie
Charlie marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Cindy Taylor
Cindy Taylor marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2014
Becca
Becca added it
Jul 17, 2014
Laura Martin
Laura Martin marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Elisabeth Alster
Elisabeth Alster marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2014
Todd Seiler
Todd Seiler marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Kim Reinhard
Kim Reinhard marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Jess
Jess marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Scott
Scott added it
Apr 18, 2014
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Seth Bobbink
Seth Bobbink marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Micaela Lewis
Micaela Lewis marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Albert Root
Albert Root marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Joyce
Joyce added it
Feb 11, 2014
Ashli
Ashli marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Karl Borromäus Adam was a German Catholic theologian of the early 20th century.

Adam was born in Bavaria in 1876. He attended the Philosophical and Theological Seminary at Regensburg and was ordained in 1900. Adam spent the next two years doing parish work. Adam received his doctorate at the University of Munich in 1904.

In 1915, he became a professor of theology in Munich. Two years later, he accep...more
More about Karl Adam...
Roots of the Reformation The Son of God One and Holy Christ Our Brother Christ of Faith