Start by marking “The Dress (Everyday Magic, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dress (Everyday Magic, #1)

The Dress (Everyday Magic #1)

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  752 ratings  ·  92 reviews
Meet Ella and her mother Fabbia Moreno who arrive in York, one cold January day, to set up their vintage dress shop.

The flamboyant Fabbia wants to sell beautiful dresses to nice people and move on from her difficult past. Ella just wants to fit in. But not everyone is on their side.

Will Fabbia overcome the prejudices she encounters? What's the dark secret she's hiding? And
Published September 24th 2011 by Ruby Slippers Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Dress, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dress

The Finishing Touches by Hester BrownePrincess for Hire by Lindsey LeavittShe's So Dead to Us by Kieran ScottPearl by Jo KnowlesRebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins
Pearls on the Cover
14th out of 68 books — 4 voters
Jane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëBloodlines by Lindsay Anne KendalAtonement by Ian McEwanBrave New World by Aldous HuxleyBeowulf by Unknown
Grey Daze
367th out of 487 books — 99 voters

More lists with this book...

The Dress is a short candy that makes you enjoy and taste it like a sweet. It reminds a little bit to Chocolat, with the same magic and the same nice characters. The most important thing in this romance is not what happens but how Sophie Nicholls tells the story.

Kel (Bookworm)
It was different, at times I forgot that it wasn't based in history. The characters really drew me in and I couldn't wait to see what was going to happen next. I would love to read more about Ella and her mother Fabbia. Made me want to check all my clothes to see if there were any words stitched into the seams.
Well, this book was simply beautiful, I loved everything about it. Nicholls' writing style was wonderfully clear and easy to read, the story was compelling and the future for the characters of Fabbia and Ella looks bright - there seems to be so much more to explore with them.

The story is set in York, and the character of Fabbia is a dress maker. The way that Nicholls writes about and describes the dresses and garments is beautiful. This really hit a chord with me, as in the past year I've begun
Lilac Wolf
From Lilac Wolf and Stuff

This cover caught my eye, it's so classy. And you know how much I love chic-lit. It's not without it romantic moments, but that's not the driver of this tale. This story is centered around Ella and her mother Fabbia. Fabbia is originally from Iran and Ella is the daughter of Fabbia and her Italian husband, Enzo.

Enzo died many years ago, so he isn't in the story. Fabbia and Ella begin this tale in York where they arrive to open a vintage shop. It's Fabbia's dream, but she
Eustacia Tan
When I got this ebook from Ms Sophie (Librarything Giveaway), I was told that "there's a little surprise waiting for you in the pages of The Dress." Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed. In Chapter 10, a character Lady Eustacia Beddowes is introduced! How psyched was I? Very! My name is rare enough that it's hard to find it mentioned in a book. Plus, I become a "Lady".

But I'm sure no one is going to rush out and get it just because my name is there, so here's my hones opinion: even if my name
I was expecting something bigger. I don't know why; this is the second book by Sophie Nicholls I've read. The ending did not connect with the rest of the book. Perhaps it was meant to be understated, but? It was disappointing. The book itself had rich details and I enjoyed it, but then, somewhere towards the end, nothing connected, and... I feel like I'm waiting for the real ending.

Thought about it a few more minutes, and decided that there were too many loose ends. Why was Eustacia's letter int
A.B. Shepherd
Three and 3/4 stars for this one.

Sophie Nicholls was kind enough to send me this book to read and review. Thank you Sophie!

The Dress starts out as a sweet, gentle story of a vibrant, exotic mum who opens a vintage dress shop, and her self-conscious teen-aged daughter - the new kid in town who is having trouble figuring out where she fits in. The first half of the story continues in this vein as we get to know Fabbia and Ella. Enjoyable reading.

About half way through things take a slightly darker
Andrea Stoeckel
"...attach one story to another, one word to another. And that’s how I’ll make this beginning. Now that I’m so much older and a mother myself, I can see that what I’m making here – my story, the story of Mamma and me - is a story that belongs to all of us, if it belongs to anyone. You only need to stop for a moment, lift your arms over your head – there, that’s right, just like that – and allow the rustle of it, the soft gatherings of it, to settle over your body, just so. And now it’s your stor ...more
I really want a shop like this to browse around and more than anything I want inspirational words secretly sewn into the seams of my clothes.

Amazon lumps this book in the Romance category which is a huge injustice as it is much more than that.I'd love to read more about Fabbia's earlier life in both Iran and Paris.
Aunty Janet
I loved this story. Beautiful descriptions of fabrics, vintage clothes, great characters and a sprinkle of magic. The story somehow suited my mood and I was sorry when it ended. I look forward to reading more by this gifted author.
Being Italian, I was annoyed by the misuse and misspelling of the many italian words in the text...I know this is a detail, but in Italian you wouldn't talk or write like that and I found it confusing and inaccurate, disrupting the rythm of the novel.
Aside from this, the book is just so full of unfulfilled promises....I thought it sort of Chocolat, but found it so dull instead!
The story itself is carried on in an erratic, random way and even though some parts are really vibrant and poetic, one l
Meredith Morrison
This was a very charming book, I really enjoyed it! I will definately be reading the spin-off series when it comes out!
A dress-making version of Chocolat. Light, frothy, the perfect book to see me through a cold.
Feb 04, 2012 Jencey/ rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Stacy, Ashley, Angela, Sarah Pekkanen, Tara
This book is Sophie’s second book. Have you ever wanted to play dress up? Or do you just like clothes from the vintage stores?

Ella and her mother Fabbia have moved many times throughout her childhood. They are moving again to the new store in York. Ella secretly hopes that this will be the last move. Fabbia is full of hope for their new location.

They settle into York England in a storefront off the square. The store includes an apartment over the top of the store. Fabbia is known as a b
Gwyneth Stewart
The best 99 cents I ever spent (kindle edition). Fabbia Moreno moves to York to open a dress shop, selling vintage clothing, and vintage inspired originals. She is hoping to build a better life for herself and her teen-age daughter Ella. But there are a lot of secrets standing in the way of their achieving a normal live. The biggest secret is that Fabbia, in spite of her Italian name, is really Iranian, and very afraid of people finding out the truth about her, especially in a post 9/11 world. A ...more
I liked this book, would have given it 3 1/2 stars but I can't The book was a nice read for those who really love vintage clothing and women's fiction, no real romance going on here. A touch of magic. A story about a woman and her daughter who are constantly changing their lives and pulling up stakes and moving to new locales until sommething happens that makes the daughter finally demand an explanation and demands not to move this time. They have really set up a nice life and living and the wom ...more
Nov 18, 2011 Nada rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: r-lt
Review first published on my blog:

The Dress is the story of mother and daughter Fabbia and Ella Moreno. The story is told as they settle into York, and Fabbia runs her own shop of vintage clothing. The book hints at so much more in their story. It makes many references to the "Old Country" and Fabbia's memories of her childhood. It makes many references to Fabbia and Ella having the gift to see "the signals" in the world about situations, emotions, and pe
Taps into current trends for vintage clothes and also phenomena such as BNP and paranoia about Arabs or people from Middle Eastern countries - whichever country it is.
An interesting concept in the book was the use of charms through words that could influence the wearer of the clothes - to good effect - to make them more confident or happy or... sometimes a physical object might be sewn into a seam somewhere also to enhance the effect.
The story was gently told but many social ills are introduced
I absolutely adored this book. I was initially unsure as to whether or not I'd like it - based on the description of the book, it wasn't something I'd usually read. I really only started it because I had gotten it for free, and I was looking for something short to read. Generally, I like my stories to be epic tales filled with heroes and magic, princesses needing to be rescued, that sort of thing. But occasionally, a book so utterly based in the real world will find its way through, bringing wit ...more
Kathleen Jones
Of course, as it implies in the title, ‘It all began with a dress....’ This is an unashamedly romantic novel - romantic in the best sense - not really a love story, but a novel that has a deep belief in the intrinsic goodness of individuals, that ‘all manner of things will come to good’ in the end. It’s also a coming of age story, about a young girl of mixed heritage, whose life so far has been nomadic, finding out who she is and where she belongs.

But it was the writing, rather than the plot su
Gizella Tóth
Meglehetősen érdekes könyv, benyomásaim vegyesek.

Nem hasonlít azokhoz a romantikusokhoz, amelyeket olvasni szoktam. Sokkal lassabb folyású, szépirodalmibb. Mivel én a pergős, cselekménnyel teli történeteket szeretem, az első két harmadot néhol unalmasnak találtam. Fabbia és Ella elmélkedéseit, lelki életüket, visszaemlékezéseiket élveztem, a régi ruhák leírásainál - legyenek bármilyen szépen megfolmazottak - nyögvenyelősen haladtam. A vintage stílus kedvelőinek viszont igazi ínyenc csemege ez a
Charlotte English
This is an unusual book, and I kept changing my mind about it. The beginning was quite slow, and it took me some time to get into the story. I then read the second half very fast. I disliked the increase in drama as the book went on, but the ending charmed me again.

The story focuses primarily on the attempts of Fabbia Moreno and her daughter Ella to build a new life in York. I love the city of York, so I enjoyed that element of the setting. Fabbia has a number of secrets which are hinted at thr
A beautiful novel set in York telling the tale of Fabbia , her daughter Ella , their vintage dress shop and their struggle to fit in due to Fabbia being an immigrant . The story flows seamlessly with wonderful descriptions of dresses and fabric and just a little bit of magic . Reading other reviews people have liked it to Chocolat , and there is a similarity with the mother / daughter theme but this a story in its own right and one not to miss.
My Review: This was a enjoyable read. I loved the touches of mystic that Fabbia weaves into her life. The thought of a little bit of magic sewn into the hidden areas of the clothes she sells was a great touch. Loved the history behind the clothes and the glimpses of her childhood in the old country. The daughters character wasn’t something I really enjoyed and the ending left something to be desired. I give this book 3 stars.
Oct 08, 2012 Deb rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
In a day and age where much of the world is wary of anyone middle-eastern and is ready to paint them with a brush that reads 'terrorist'...

This book is a wonderful story of a widow and her daughter who are just trying to fit in and make their way in the world.

Fabbia moves with her daughter to York where she opens a shop where she sells vintage clothing accessories and does a great deal of sewing as well. The fabric 'speaks' to her, telling her what it wants to be.

The two face challenges in being
Mar 21, 2013 Peggy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
Set in a vintage clothing shop in York, England, "The Dress" centers around widowed Fabbia Moreno and her teenaged daughter, Ella. Fabbia, an accomplished seamstress with a mysterious past, creates new and adapts vintage clothing for the ladies of York. Sewing is not her only skill - Fabbia knows how to make these women feel beautiful, as well. There is a hint of magic in the garments Fabbia works - whether real or perceived. This is also a coming-of-age story about Ella who, at fifteen, has man ...more
Jean Gill
A whiff of 'Chocolat', set in York, with some past horror that makes immigrant mother Fabbia afraid to stay in one place, or let her daughter integrate. Fabbia runs a vintage clothes shop and the dress-making imagery is beautifully worked into the story. Young Ella is the main character and her coming of age convinced me. It is easy to warm to her problems as an outsider, to her gullibility with the bitchy friend, and to her dawning feelings of more-than-friendship for the likeable Billy.

The boo
Jodie Downes
I didn't finish this book. In fact, I didn't even make it to half way through. I just could not get into it. I kept waiting for something fun to happen, maybe I just missed out, but it bored the heck out of me and it was a chore to have to go back to it. I figured I'll try again another time so watch this space...
Shaina Salisbury-abbs
Fabbio and Ella move to York to open a vintage clothing shop and infuse peoples lives with everyday magic. In the seams and linings of those remarkable garments is not only a story to tell but is also a little bit of magic to make just what you buy yours. Though there are many stories, one focuses in on this dress. Beautiful but seemingly hidden amoungst the more decandent flock. Metaphor for secrets and a past that one can not longer out run, or just a bit of a fairytale that crawls through you ...more
  • Small Kindnesses
  • The Love Market
  • Protector (Anniversary of the Veil, Book 1)
  • Dark Corners
  • Deadly Memories
  • Shadow of Reality (An Elizabeth & Richard Mystery #1)
  • Grimm End
  • Full Circle
  • Condemn Me Not
  • The Witches of West Shore (Broken Shell Island, #1)
  • The Fortune Quilt
  • Homesong
  • The Loyal Heart
  • The Selkie Spell (Seal Island Trilogy #1)
  • Take A Deep Breath
  • Don't You Forget About Me
  • The Lady Astronomer
Sophie Nicholls is a best-selling author and an award-winning poet based in York in the North of England.

She teaches Creative Writing at Teesside University and runs the Word Sauce online programmes for people who long to write or to write more.

More about Sophie Nicholls...

Everyday Magic (2 books)
  • The Dream (Everyday Magic, #2)
Ruby Slippers The Dream (Everyday Magic, #2) 37 Photographs The Glass (Everyday Magic Trilogy, #3) Refugee

“When the world seems to shine like you've had too much wine, that's amore…” 0 likes
“When you dance down the street with a cloud at your feet, you're in lu-uurve…When you walk down in a dream but you know you're not dreaming, signore…” 0 likes