Start by marking “Gone Girl” as Want to Read:

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

Gone Girl

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,398,639 Ratings  ·  116,218 Reviews
Grca badge winner
On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne's fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick's clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn't doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and ...more
Published June 5th 2012 by Crown Publishers (first published May 24th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Gone Girl, please sign up.

A I think it actually is very appropriate despite what some might say. It introduces important topics that are serious and need to be understood. The…moreI think it actually is very appropriate despite what some might say. It introduces important topics that are serious and need to be understood. The thing is, all you parents out there don't seem to understand that all the things you think you've sheltered teens from you really haven't. If you think your 8th grade kid isn't swearing when they leave your presence, you're dead wrong. All teenagers are overly exposed to mature topics such as cursing and sex as well as others. I beleive those who say this book isn't for mature teens is severely underestimating all teenagers and their capacity for understanding and knowledge. I myself am only 14 and have read and completely understood the book. I've recommeneded this book to several of my friends and they've all understood and enjoyed it. We may act like it, but we aren't all as foolish and naive as some believe us to be. (less)
Miranda Personally, I wouldn't use the word palpable. It wasn't as dark as her other two books. I am one of the few that believe Gone Girl to be highly…morePersonally, I wouldn't use the word palpable. It wasn't as dark as her other two books. I am one of the few that believe Gone Girl to be highly overrated. That's not to say I didn't enjoy it. I did. The issues I have with it is the major plot twist was painfully obvious long before I got there and the ending made me mad as hell. I much prefer Dark Places. I have just started Sharp Objects and I am enjoying it. (less)
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenDivergent by Veronica RothGone Girl by Gillian FlynnThe Light Between Oceans by M.L. StedmanPenelope by Rebecca Harrington
Best Books of Summer 2012
3rd out of 41 books — 246 voters
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerLolita by Vladimir NabokovFight Club by Chuck PalahniukThe Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha ChristieGone Girl by Gillian Flynn
Books with Unreliable Narrators
5th out of 298 books — 268 voters

More lists with this book...

Tatiana
As seen on The Readventurer

I am giving Gone Girl 3 stars, but only begrudgingly. In my mind, any book that takes me 3 months and 20 different tries to read is not worth 3 (i-liked-it on Goodreads) stars, especially a book written by an author I already respect. And I am not kidding, for me the first half of Gone Girl was a PURE TORTURE to read.

Amy Dunn disappears on the day of her 5th wedding anniversary. All gradually uncovered evidence suggests that her husband, Nick, is somehow involved. Did
Stephanie Sun
I'm pretty selective about new releases, but Gone Girl's opening (about a man studying his wife's skull in bed) and unique alternating POV structure promised a kind of He Said, She Said Crimes and Misdemeanors, a The Secret History with a sense of humor. I did really like the structure, along with some of the zingers, and some of the saucier images, but that's about it.

From the Kushner epigraph to the name checking of Noel Coward on page 68 to the use of Pygmalion as a verb 20 pages after that (
Lisa B.
Aug 12, 2012 Lisa B. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-books
This book was just way too much fun – and I mean that in a good way. I’m taking a leisurely drive down the garden path of the story, when BAM – right in the middle it makes a u-turn and we are on the damn highway doing 90 miles an hour (commonly referred to as a plot twist). Sweet Mother of Mercy!

There is not much to say without the risk of giving up some detail that’s best left secret. Soooo many time I wanted to just take one little peek at the end to see what happens to Nick and Amy. But I di
Liz
Jul 30, 2016 Liz rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
Nicholas Sparks
Quite simply, this is one of the best novels of the year. It's a thriller in the best tradition of Alfred Hitchcock and layered with brilliantly written characters; it's the kind of book that's nearly impossible to put down. The surprises and twists keep the reader guessing up until the final page, and my first thought upon finishing the novel was that I wanted to read it a second time.
Elizabeth
Oh, COME ON.

Everyone (and I do mean EVERYONE ) loves this hateful book? Kind of makes me weep for the future. It's not even all that clever. It must be the depravity of it all. Suckers.

AND, If I ever read the words *fucking bitch* again it will be too soon.
Shelley
May 18, 2016 Shelley rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poop-on-toast
This book is such a steaming pile of shit for so many reasons and hands down the worst book I have ever read.

There is a huge cloud of smug over Gone Girl. This was such an unpleasant read that I started taking notes of all the ridiculous parts. It also didn't help matters that I figured out the ending before page 100.

There are lots and lots of f-bombs and swearing which says a lot since I cuss like a sailor. For me to pick up on that means it's excessive and adds nothing to the story. Then ther
Emily May
3 1/2 stars.

This is going to be a hard review to write because I feel so conflicted about my final rating and just how much I actually liked this book. For one thing, I think the second half is a big improvement on the first half and, though this is my least favourite book by Ms Flynn, I can see in some ways why other reviewers see this as her strongest work.

Let me ask this question: is it possible to be objective when writing a book review? Can a book ever be objectively "good", even though som
Paul Bryant
Mar 17, 2014 Paul Bryant rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned, novels

AMY DUNNE

I am Amy. I’m so perfect you may want to puke. It’s okay, I have that effect on everyone, even my parents. They noticed I was so perfect when I was a little girl and so they wrote some vastly popular children’s books called The Adventures of Amazing Amy. You may have been given them to read in school, and you may have puked on them. I am so self-regarding I can’t pass a mirror without congratulating it that it’s reflecting me and not somebody else. I forgot to mention that I have a perf
Richard Derus
Jan 23, 2016 Richard Derus rated it did not like it
***MORE MOVIE NEWS*** Gossipy sources say that Neil Patrick Harris will play Amy's creepy ex, Desi, and Tyler Perry will play Ben Affleck/Nick's scumbag lawyer. If this thing isn't a blockbuster, I'll eat my hat.

***UPDATE 7/25/2013***
Amy Dunne's role in the film offered to Rosamund Pike, whoever she might be. Good role for any actress as it's a potential star-maker.

***GONE GIRL CUPCAKES***

*****UPDATE 3/26/2013*****
See bottom of review. I think I need to re-think this oppositional review.
***UPDAT
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Marguerite Yourcenar wrote long ago that "the mask, given time, comes to be the face itself." This can work for good or bad, but the more hideous the secrets, the more carefully that mask is constructed. So what if you discovered after five years of marriage that you'd only seen the mask, and never the real face of your spouse? Once those dark truths were revealed, could you stay married to that person?

Knowledge is power, and never more so than in an intimate relationship.
What if your spouse kn
Becky
Dec 08, 2014 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Becky by: Lisa

(Original image credit: Kate Beaton)

That was my immediate reaction after finishing this book. Pretty clearly that's not how it ends. It doesn't END that way. Yet, when I tapped Shadow's screen to turn the page (Shadow's my Nook's name, FYI) - there were only acknowledgements.

And then I thought about it... I gave it just a few minutes' thought, and I decided that I thought the ending was appropriate. Fucked up? Oh my, yes. But fitting too, in a way. We do dig our own graves, don't we?

This book
Gary  the Bookworm
Apr 30, 2013 Gary the Bookworm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-ebooks
Gone Girl is astounding. It is a gripping story of the courtship and marriage of a narcissist and a sociopath. They appear to be experiencing the normal setbacks of life during our recent financial meltdown: job loss, relocation, mounting debt, family illness etc. etc. It is easy to identify with them individually, which makes it harder to know who to root for when the wife disappears on the morning of their fifth wedding anniversary and the husband becomes the prime suspect. Neither seems to be ...more
Whitney Atkinson
Dec 15, 2015 Whitney Atkinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5

I'm never getting married- I can't risk this
Nataliya
Jun 16, 2013 Nataliya rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
***************
Summary: I loved it while despising it, how 'bout that?
Oh dear, I'm caught between realizing that this is one of the most inconsistent plot-and-characterization-wise books I've read in a long time - as well as one of the most entertaining stay-up-all-night-to-finish books. Hmmmm.

This book unapologetically flew through the bestsellers and awards lists like a hurricane last year, being praised for its dark nature and unexpected twist and intricate plot (a.k.a. the reasons why I a
karen
Jul 25, 2012 karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Mr. Peanut
The Seducer/The Conqueror/The Discoverer
Threats

and now this.

all of them are amazing stories about a wife gone missing or murdered, and the husband's journey through grief and suspicion with a bevvy of unreliable narrators. i'm actually not some sicko who is drawn to stories of murdered women, but these happen to be exceptional books that are strikingly similar in the way they unspool, and - yeah - they all have the same central action.

every single one of them is a twisty-turny narrativ
Susan
Oct 02, 2012 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Twisty like a pretzel, dark like unadulterated chocolate, and as compelling as a twisted car wreck, this thriller delivers! On their fifth anniversary, Nick and Amy's marriage implodes when Amy goes missing and Nick is hardly as distraught as he ought to be. Too much plot summary would detract from the pleasure of reading the book for yourself. Suffice it to say, this is one psychological mind bender accompanied by witty, incisive, laser beam writing; if you like that type of thriller, this one ...more
j
Sep 01, 2012 j rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gillian Flynn hands you a little black box. "What's this?" you ask.

"Just open it," she says, twitching an eyebrow at you. Just a tiny movement, a gentle follicular nudge.

"Is this a puzzle box?" you ask, wary. "I keep seeing people playing with ones just like it on the train. There is a huge stack of them at Target. These aren't really my thing."

"I know, but this is a really tricky one," she says. "I want to see if you can figure it out."

Now it's a challenge. She has challenged you. Your ego is
Raeleen Lemay
Feb 15, 2015 Raeleen Lemay rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, own
WELL. HOLY SHIT.

This book was insane. I was sort of spoiled by GIFs on Tumblr previous to reading the book, but I WAS STILL SO INTO IT. The ending was not at all what I was expecting, and I like that. (view spoiler)

I seriously don't know how I'm going to pick up another book after this.
La Petite Américaine
You know those books that are a complete chore to read? The ones you'll do anything -- playing Words with Friends, cleaning the house, scrubbing toilets -- to avoid reading? Then a few weeks go by and you've gotten dumber, because in doing your damnedest to avoid reading said book, menial tasks have turned your brain to mush?

Yeah.

Gone Girl has gone to my "sucked" shelf.

Look. If I want to hear about bored, unhappily married people, I'll talk to my married friends or delve into something by a cap
Trudi

I've been completely fangirling over Gillian Flynn since her debut Sharp Objects six years ago. It remains one of my all-time-favorites, along with Flynn's sophomore novel Dark Places. No one writes the inner workings of warped and damaged human psychology better than this woman. With complete conviction I place her in the same category alongside the likes of Flannery O'Connor and Shirley Jackson. Flynn has a devilish, uncanny flair for creating memorable characters and twisty plots that drive d
TheBookSmugglers
**WARNING: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS EXPLICIT LANGUAGE, CAPS LOCK OF RAGE, AND OCCASIONAL SPOILERS (we will let you know when spoilers kick in). You have been warned.**

Thea’s Take:

(There will be spoilers, but I’ll give you warning when they kick in.)

I started Gone Girl knowing only these things.

Gone Girl is:

A. One of the bestselling books of 2012, recipient of multiple awards from critics and readers alike, across genres and categories.
B. Gillian Flynn’s latest novel, with a rumored HUGE twist somewh
Darth J
So I decided it would be a little fun to put my own spin on this by casting Gone Girl in the following way:
Amy Poehler as the sociopathic Amy Dunne.

Nick Cage as Nick Dunne.

And Desi Arnaz as Desi Collings.

In the beginning Amy manipulates the reader with her diary entries into thinking:

But halfway through the reader discovers:

While Nick does wrong by cheating on his wife, Amy decides to stage an elaborate scene to teach him a lesson and turn the public on him--even go so far as to write years of f
Regina
Okay, here is the thing. I like dark and twisted stories. The twisted plotlines and authentically scarred characters pull me and I am hooked. Gillian Flynn wrote such a story line very well in Sharp Objects. That story is messed up but beautiful all the same. Donna Tartt and Tana French are other authors that know how to write about those dark places in the human soul. But it isn't just darkness in these stories that I love, there is also intensely developed characters and character driven plot ...more
Theresa
Pardon my French but "Gone Girl" by Gillian Flynn is a fucking masterpiece! Twist after twist after twist. You think the plot is going one way, and then it spits venom in your face, gives you a heart attack, and just for the hell of it, turns itself into a three-headed monster just to save face. Whew! I know a lot of people gripe about the ending, but I thought it was 100% accurate of Nick and Amy's sick and desperate relationship. Flynn's writing is deliciously wicked. Her prose is dark and dem ...more
Kristin (KC)
*5 Stars!*

While it feels a bit off referring to this deeply deranged book as a "fun read", that's exactly what I'm gonna call it. Because for the time spent reading, this book entirely owned me. My focus, my world, my thoughts, were swept away by these insanely unrivaled characters and their darkly disturbing story. And the suspense of it all left me in a constant state of guessing — straight to its twisted ending...

Gone Girl is not a happy, feel good love story with just a few bumps in an other
Navessa

If you asked me at the halfway point what I thought I’d rate this book, I would have told you five stars with absolute conviction. And I would have rated it thusly, had it maintained its momentum throughout. Sadly, it did not.

The first two thirds of this book were brilliant. I’m talking world class, fuck, I wish I could weave a plot so intricately, type of brilliance. But then I got to the “big reveal” (cue gasps) and it soared too close to the sun. Its wings caught fire, and I spent the last t
Allison
This has spoilers. So read at your caution....
Honestly, I had a lot of thoughts about this novel, but they aborted on launch. I thought about comparing Gone Girl to American Psycho. What Brent Easton Ellis was saying about materialism and shallowness of the '80's in America was a dark cousin to what Flynn was trying to say about Gen X Uberhipsters. What happens when you're too self indulgent and too clever for your own good? Abort!

You know why, because this novel doesn't stand up to a real liter
Tarryn Fisher
Sep 25, 2012 Tarryn Fisher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always, I'm in awe of my idol.Gone Girl made me question every book I've read in the last year. Other people slap words on a page like they're writing a sloppy joe. Gillian spends two years crafting the literary equivalent of Beef Bourguignon. Brilliant. Flawless writing. Beautifully crafted sentences. Intricate characters. Plot twists that blow away all other plot twists. She's nuts. You can't write characters like that unless you are slightly demented yourself. But I'd join her cult any day ...more
Rachel
Oct 15, 2012 Rachel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
  • Afterwards
  • The Last Kind Words (Terrier Rand, #1)
  • Faithful Place (Dublin Murder Squad, #3)
  • Defending Jacob
  • Still Missing
  • Live to Tell (Detective D.D. Warren, #4)
  • Boom!
  • We Need to Talk About Kevin
  • Die a Little
  • The Expats
  • Arcadia Falls
  • For the Sake of Elena (Inspector Lynley, #5)
  • A Kiss Before Dying
  • Big Little Lies
  • Blood of My Blood (Jasper Dent, #3)
  • The Light Between Oceans
  • The Newlyweds
  • White Girl Problems
Gillian Flynn is an American author and television critic for Entertainment Weekly. She has so far written three novels, Sharp Objects, for which she won the 2007 Ian Fleming Steel Dagger for the best thriller; Dark Places; and her best-selling third novel Gone Girl.

Her book has received wide praise, including from authors such as Stephen King. The dark plot revolves around a serial killer in a Mi
More about Gillian Flynn...

“Men always say that as the defining compliment, don’t they? She’s a cool girl. Being the Cool Girl means I am a hot, brilliant, funny woman who adores football, poker, dirty jokes, and burping, who plays video games, drinks cheap beer, loves threesomes and anal sex, and jams hot dogs and hamburgers into her mouth like she’s hosting the world’s biggest culinary gang bang while somehow maintaining a size 2, because Cool Girls are above all hot. Hot and understanding. Cool Girls never get angry; they only smile in a chagrined, loving manner and let their men do whatever they want. Go ahead, shit on me, I don’t mind, I’m the Cool Girl.

Men actually think this girl exists. Maybe they’re fooled because so many women are willing to pretend to be this girl. For a long time Cool Girl offended me. I used to see men – friends, coworkers, strangers – giddy over these awful pretender women, and I’d want to sit these men down and calmly say: You are not dating a woman, you are dating a woman who has watched too many movies written by socially awkward men who’d like to believe that this kind of woman exists and might kiss them. I’d want to grab the poor guy by his lapels or messenger bag and say: The bitch doesn’t really love chili dogs that much – no one loves chili dogs that much! And the Cool Girls are even more pathetic: They’re not even pretending to be the woman they want to be, they’re pretending to be the woman a man wants them to be. Oh, and if you’re not a Cool Girl, I beg you not to believe that your man doesn’t want the Cool Girl. It may be a slightly different version – maybe he’s a vegetarian, so Cool Girl loves seitan and is great with dogs; or maybe he’s a hipster artist, so Cool Girl is a tattooed, bespectacled nerd who loves comics. There are variations to the window dressing, but believe me, he wants Cool Girl, who is basically the girl who likes every fucking thing he likes and doesn’t ever complain. (How do you know you’re not Cool Girl? Because he says things like: “I like strong women.” If he says that to you, he will at some point fuck someone else. Because “I like strong women” is code for “I hate strong women.”)”
3608 likes
“There’s something disturbing about recalling a warm memory and feeling utterly cold.” 1389 likes