Hapenny Magick
read book

Hapenny Magick

4.53 of 5 stars 4.53  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  16 reviews
As the littlest Hapenny, a race of little people, Maewyn Bridgepost spends her days from breakfast to midnight nibble scrubbing the hearth, slopping the pigs, and cooking for her guardian, Gelbane, who never spares a kind word. Mae dreams of her long-lost mother, the day she can be rid of Gelbane and finding a life worth living. As if life as a servant wasn't bad enough, M...more
Published December 15th 2011 by Pugalicious Press (first published November 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hapenny Magick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hapenny Magick

Okay for Now by Gary D. SchmidtBigger than a Bread Box by Laurel SnyderWords in the Dust by Trent ReedyThe Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own M... by Catherynne M. ValenteBreadcrumbs by Anne Ursu
Middle Grade Novels of 2011
19th out of 126 books — 145 voters
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson LevinePrincess Academy by Shannon HaleThe Goose Girl by Shannon HaleThe Two Princesses of Bamarre by Gail Carson LevineThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Best Pre Teen Female Fantasy Novels
216th out of 467 books — 874 voters

More lists with this book...

Brandon
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

This book was an absolute delight. If I were to compare it to a dessert it would be poached pears, very light and just enough sugar to curb the sweet tooth.

As I said in my status update, this book was written to be read aloud. The structure made me feel like I was a kid listening to my 2nd grade teacher reading to my class (you know the one who was really good at theatrical pauses and emphasis as she swept her free hand out engaging the...more
Melanie
A Delightful read. It is about a young Hapenny who discovers that some things are not as they seem while she finds her place in the world. The story is full of familiar magical beings such as wizards, trolls, hapennys, and even a giant. The storyline is inspiring, but will also bring some laughts. The story is geared toward elementary aged children, but teens can enjoy it too. Altogether this book is a great read.
Kristen
This was such a cute, charming little book. I look forward to reading this to my future kids. Little Maewyn was so adorable. You connect to and love her right from the beginning.

I really enjoyed all the different characters. The descriptions were very good, and the illustrations left no doubt on any of the detail.

The world was a lot of fun. It's a short book (193 pages...with illustrations), but she is able to build the world and give a beginning, middle and an end to the story. The story never...more
C.S. Einfeld
Well.

It was a snowy night in January when I curled up with Hapenny Magick and, I'm glad to say, it warmed my heart, indeed.

What a charming book! I must pause here for a moment to rave about the illustrations. They are, in short, breath-taking. The whimsy of Jennifer's voice is infused into Pat Ann's illustrations. Her characters really come to life--and what characters they are!

Mean, spiteful Gelbane, the Guardian of our feisty heroine, Maewyn, storms off the page and Callum, the wizard, has a...more
Tonja Drecker
Cute! Yes, I'll just say it again: Cute!

This is a fun, enchanting story about a very special magical species known as Hapenny's. These adorable creatures live peacefully in the forest. . .well, it's not that great for the smallest Hapenny Mae. She toils and works her little fingers off for Gelbane, a Hapenny who took her in after Mae's mother died.

I loved this magical world! It's so simple and sweet, but still captured the world masterly. I had no trouble picturing it and was quickly pulled into...more
Nikki
I was lucky enough to win this book on First Reads. :) The author even wrote a sweet message in it for me, thank you, Jennifer!

I took advantage of a lazy afternoon over the weekend to curl up and enjoy this book. I adored all the artwork and found it to be a charming, sweet story. Like many other reviewers have mentioned, it reminded me of reading a story with my mother and that just endears it even more to me. I have already sent it to my 10 year old niece to enjoy with my sister.
Kelly
Twelve-year-old Mae is the smallest of the Hapennies, furry-eared elfin people who live in the Wedge, a village protected by runes from Hapenny-eating trolls. Then the runes begin to fail. With the help of a dotty kitchen witch and a wizardess whose main talent is shape-shifting into a pig, Mae must discover hidden magick to save her people from a troll invasion. Quick-paced high fantasy with a charming, plucky heroine. Beautiful illustrations.
Lori Weller
I found this book to be equally pleasing to young and adult alike. It does have some changing of figures to ash which may upset the really young. But I found it a pleasant change from the adult genre that is typically read. I enjoyed the illustrations- finding them to be close to the story line. Overall, I found it a pleasant change.
Shauna
I got this cute book for only $ 2.99 on Kindle. Sallie and I are only on chapter three, but we are loving the story and the pictures!

Check out what else I've been reading this week on my blog: www.bookdivabooks.blogspot.com
Irene Suarez
Beautiful story with a amazing drawings
Wendy Brotherlin
I enjoyed this enchanting tale immensely. HAPENNY MAGICK follows Maewyn Bridgepost, the smallest Hapenny of them all, who discovers she can wield magic. She soon finds herself in the company of a pair of wizards and on an adventure of a lifetime.

Just like the fairy tales of old, HAPENNY MAGICK doesn't glance over the darker elements in the story. The author strikes just the right balance between whimsy and villainy as the tale unfolds, which kept me hooked. The illustrations are lovely too and t...more
Laura Pauling
What a cute story!!! I wish I was an 8 year old girl again, or 10 year old, heck, any age!

Follow Maewyn on her magical adventure as she learns the terrible secret behind her mean guardian, as she strikes out on her own to learn magick with the help of two wizards and how to protect the villagers she loves. And hapennies are small, trolls are big, so Mae has quite the challenge to overcome! She learns about friendship and family and sacrifice.

Beautifully written, wonderful to read aloud or curl u...more
Joyce
I loved this story! The illustrations are wonderful.

Maewyn may be the smallest of the small, but she has so much heart and determination on her side. When she learns the terrible secret to her brutally mean guardian, and finds out that she has magick she finds two wizards to teach her how to use it to protect the villagers she loves. Through all of her travails, Maewyn learns about friendship and family and sacrifice.

Beautifully written. If you enjoy fairytales, then you'll enjoy Hapenny Magick!...more
Rosie
First Reads winner.
Mae-Wins! A magical, adventurous journey into a fantasy world of "Hapennys" and the trolls who eat them. Maewyn a tiny Hapenny and charming , clever protagonist with courage, magic and friends save and protect her village. Would recommend as a read and share aloud book to children. Some dark poignant moments ends on a satisfying positive warm note. Illustrations are enchanting.
Kayce
I received this book free from a Goodreads giveaway.

This book was a great for a light read. The illustrations are beautiful and great for children.
Melinda
This was a cute read for fourth/fifth grade students.
Charlene Mitchell
Charlene Mitchell marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Brandi
Brandi marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Taurean J. Watkins
Taurean J. Watkins marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Nancy Johnson
Nancy Johnson marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Shellie
Shellie marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
p u m p k i n i k u
p u m p k i n i k u marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
Sylvia Serna
Sylvia Serna marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Shelbycharlotte
Shelbycharlotte marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Jiyeon Park
Jiyeon Park marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Igraine
Igraine marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
  • The Eyes of the Desert Sand (Chrysalis Chronicles #1)
  • The Healer's Legacy
  • Nine Lives
  • In the Window Room (The Histories of Earth, #1)
  • Murder of Crows
  • Return to Exile (The Hunter Chronicles #1)
  • Any Witch Way
  • All Four Stars
  • Tiger Born
  • The Rock of Ivanore (Celestine Chronicles, #1)
  • Red Delicious (Siobhan Quinn, #2)
  • The Star Shard
  • Between Worlds (Trix-ology #1)
  • The Kelpie
  • Unspent Time
  • Renegade Magic (Kat, Incorrigible, #2)
  • The Wicked
  • Return to Finkleton (Finkleton, #2)
Jennifer Carson lives in New Hampshire with her husband, four sons and many four legged friends. She grew up on a steady diet of Muppet movies, and renaissance faires and would occasionally be caught reading under the blankets with a flashlight. Besides telling tales, and being an editor for Spencer Hill Press, Jennifer likes to create fantasy creatures and characters and publishes her own sewing...more
More about Jennifer Carson...
To Find A Wonder Real Girls Don't Rust Stolen Away Tangled Magick The Knight