Start by marking “Hapenny Magick” as Want to Read:
Hapenny Magick

Read Book

Hapenny Magick (Hapenny Magick #1)

As the littlest Hapenny, a race of little people, Maewyn Bridgepost spends her days from breakfast to midnight nibble scrubbing the hearth, slopping the pigs, and cooking for her guardian, Gelbane, who never spares a kind word. Mae dreams of her long-lost mother, the day she can be rid of Gelbane and finding a life worth living. As if life as a servant wasn't bad enough, M ...more
Published December 15th 2011 by Pugalicious Press (first published November 30th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hapenny Magick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hapenny Magick

B.C.
Feb 03, 2012 B.C. rated it it was amazing
I received this book for free through Goodreads First Reads.

This book was an absolute delight. If I were to compare it to a dessert it would be poached pears, very light and just enough sugar to curb the sweet tooth.

As I said in my status update, this book was written to be read aloud. The structure made me feel like I was a kid listening to my 2nd grade teacher reading to my class (you know the one who was really good at theatrical pauses and emphasis as she swept her free hand out engaging the
Melanie
Feb 27, 2012 Melanie rated it it was amazing
A Delightful read. It is about a young Hapenny who discovers that some things are not as they seem while she finds her place in the world. The story is full of familiar magical beings such as wizards, trolls, hapennys, and even a giant. The storyline is inspiring, but will also bring some laughts. The story is geared toward elementary aged children, but teens can enjoy it too. Altogether this book is a great read.
C.S. Einfeld
Feb 01, 2012 C.S. Einfeld rated it it was amazing
Well.

It was a snowy night in January when I curled up with Hapenny Magick and, I'm glad to say, it warmed my heart, indeed.

What a charming book! I must pause here for a moment to rave about the illustrations. They are, in short, breath-taking. The whimsy of Jennifer's voice is infused into Pat Ann's illustrations. Her characters really come to life--and what characters they are!

Mean, spiteful Gelbane, the Guardian of our feisty heroine, Maewyn, storms off the page and Callum, the wizard, has a
Kristen
Jun 05, 2012 Kristen rated it it was amazing
This was such a cute, charming little book. I look forward to reading this to my future kids. Little Maewyn was so adorable. You connect to and love her right from the beginning.

I really enjoyed all the different characters. The descriptions were very good, and the illustrations left no doubt on any of the detail.

The world was a lot of fun. It's a short book (193 pages...with illustrations), but she is able to build the world and give a beginning, middle and an end to the story. The story never
Tonja Drecker
May 02, 2014 Tonja Drecker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute! Yes, I'll just say it again: Cute!

This is a fun, enchanting story about a very special magical species known as Hapenny's. These adorable creatures live peacefully in the forest. . .well, it's not that great for the smallest Hapenny Mae. She toils and works her little fingers off for Gelbane, a Hapenny who took her in after Mae's mother died.

I loved this magical world! It's so simple and sweet, but still captured the world masterly. I had no trouble picturing it and was quickly pulled into
Rosie
Mar 20, 2014 Rosie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Reads winner.
Mae-Wins! A magical, adventurous journey into a fantasy world of "Hapennys" and the trolls who eat them. Maewyn a tiny Hapenny and charming , clever protagonist with courage, magic and friends save and protect her village. Would recommend as a read and share aloud book to children. Some dark poignant moments ends on a satisfying positive warm note. Illustrations are enchanting.
Jeannel
Nov 13, 2011 Jeannel rated it it was amazing
Twelve-year-old Mae is the smallest of the Hapennies, furry-eared elfin people who live in the Wedge, a village protected by runes from Hapenny-eating trolls. Then the runes begin to fail. With the help of a dotty kitchen witch and a wizardess whose main talent is shape-shifting into a pig, Mae must discover hidden magick to save her people from a troll invasion. Quick-paced high fantasy with a charming, plucky heroine. Beautiful illustrations.
Nikki
Jun 01, 2012 Nikki rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I was lucky enough to win this book on First Reads. :) The author even wrote a sweet message in it for me, thank you, Jennifer!

I took advantage of a lazy afternoon over the weekend to curl up and enjoy this book. I adored all the artwork and found it to be a charming, sweet story. Like many other reviewers have mentioned, it reminded me of reading a story with my mother and that just endears it even more to me. I have already sent it to my 10 year old niece to enjoy with my sister.
Lori Weller
Mar 17, 2012 Lori Weller rated it really liked it
I found this book to be equally pleasing to young and adult alike. It does have some changing of figures to ash which may upset the really young. But I found it a pleasant change from the adult genre that is typically read. I enjoyed the illustrations- finding them to be close to the story line. Overall, I found it a pleasant change.
Shauna
Jun 08, 2012 Shauna rated it liked it
Shelves: with-sallie
I got this cute book for only $ 2.99 on Kindle. Sallie and I are only on chapter three, but we are loving the story and the pictures!

Check out what else I've been reading this week on my blog: www.bookdivabooks.blogspot.com
Irene Suarez
Jan 24, 2012 Irene Suarez rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-read
Beautiful story with a amazing drawings
Patricia Reding
Dec 31, 2014 Patricia Reding rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed for Readers' Favorite at www.ReadersFavorite.com.

Now and again, one of those stories for children (who are relatively new readers seeking a “chapter book”) comes along that is truly worthy of attention. Hapenny Magick, by Jennifer Carson, is just such a story. From the lovely cover art and internal pictures, to the storyline itself, this journey is sure to please young readers. In it, we meet Mae, a “hapenny,” or little person. Mae’s mother, now missing, left Mae with only an old (magic
Gabs
Apr 19, 2014 Gabs rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Well, maybe it was a bad idea to read this. Middle grade fantasy has proven to not be my thing, unless it’s the Chronicles of Narnia, in which case I read it again and again. But…the cover. It’s just so cute. I couldn’t resist.
The bad thing about Hapenny Magick is basically the bad thing, for me, about almost all other MG fantasies. It’s just too sweet and black and white for my liking, and the whole plot al
Wendy Brotherlin
I enjoyed this enchanting tale immensely. HAPENNY MAGICK follows Maewyn Bridgepost, the smallest Hapenny of them all, who discovers she can wield magic. She soon finds herself in the company of a pair of wizards and on an adventure of a lifetime.

Just like the fairy tales of old, HAPENNY MAGICK doesn't glance over the darker elements in the story. The author strikes just the right balance between whimsy and villainy as the tale unfolds, which kept me hooked. The illustrations are lovely too and t
Laura Pauling
Oct 22, 2011 Laura Pauling rated it it was amazing
What a cute story!!! I wish I was an 8 year old girl again, or 10 year old, heck, any age!

Follow Maewyn on her magical adventure as she learns the terrible secret behind her mean guardian, as she strikes out on her own to learn magick with the help of two wizards and how to protect the villagers she loves. And hapennies are small, trolls are big, so Mae has quite the challenge to overcome! She learns about friendship and family and sacrifice.

Beautifully written, wonderful to read aloud or curl u
Michelle
Aug 03, 2016 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super adorable fantasy book with a cute and likable, young **female** heroine! Although the story was a bit predictable for a well read adult (or even a well read youngster), this would make a great introduction to the genre for the young reader. Brings to mind fare such as The Hobbit, The Chronicles of Narnia, and The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. Well written and easy to read, and has some delightful illustrations! I loved this book from start to finish! So glad I asked for this for Chris ...more
Joyce
Oct 14, 2011 Joyce rated it it was amazing
I loved this story! The illustrations are wonderful.

Maewyn may be the smallest of the small, but she has so much heart and determination on her side. When she learns the terrible secret to her brutally mean guardian, and finds out that she has magick she finds two wizards to teach her how to use it to protect the villagers she loves. Through all of her travails, Maewyn learns about friendship and family and sacrifice.

Beautifully written. If you enjoy fairytales, then you'll enjoy Hapenny Magick!
Ariel
Jun 15, 2013 Ariel rated it liked it
Shelves: mg
A little like The Hobbit, a little like The Gammage Cup by Carol Kendall, with a liberal dash of Cinderella mixed in. Sweet though perhaps a little too sweet. Lovely delicate illustrations. I gather it is self published and it would have benefited from a professional editor, especially in the dialogue. Still, enjoyable escapist reading.
Kayce
Jul 31, 2012 Kayce rated it really liked it
I received this book free from a Goodreads giveaway.

This book was a great for a light read. The illustrations are beautiful and great for children.
Melinda
Jul 29, 2013 Melinda rated it really liked it
This was a cute read for fourth/fifth grade students.
Valeria Tapia
Dec 11, 2014 Valeria Tapia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es un lindo libro. Creo que si hubiera sido una niña pequeña (7 a 8 años) lo hubiera disfrutado aún más.
Toni L.
Jan 14, 2015 Toni L. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boy what a cute book. Wish my greatgrand
children were closer. I would read the book
to them. All about hapennies, trolls wizards,
etc. Really enjoyed the book.
Kristi
Kristi rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2012
Lisabeth Lueninghoener
Lisabeth Lueninghoener rated it really liked it
May 13, 2015
Mariam
Mariam rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2013
Mellina Davis
Mellina Davis rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2015
Sandy
Sandy rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2012
Jeanette
Jeanette rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2013
Diane
Diane rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2012
Jennifer Provost
Jennifer Provost rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2014
  • Lily (Lily, #1)
  • Kendra Kandlestar and the Box of Whispers
  • Nate Rocks the World (Nate Rocks, #1)
  • The Healer's Legacy
  • Forgotten Treasures: 25 Short Fiction Tales
  • Aaron & Keja: Time Dragon
  • Crash Landing (Hidden in Vein #1)
  • Nine Lives
  • The Rock of Ivanore (Celestine Chronicles, #1)
  • The Other Side
  • Andy the Spider
  • Night Buddies Go Sky High
  • Unspent Time
  • Operation Bunny (Wings & Co, #1)
  • Yak's Corner: Children's Stories by Artie Knapp
  • The Hunter's Rede (Chronicles of Ealiron, #1)
  • Silas and the Winterbottoms: The Body Thief
  • Blue Fire and Ice (Land’s Tale, #1)
Jennifer Carson lives in New Hampshire with her husband, four sons and many four legged friends. She grew up on a steady diet of Muppet movies, and renaissance faires and would occasionally be caught reading under the blankets with a flashlight. Besides telling tales, and being an editor for Spencer Hill Press, Jennifer likes to create fantasy creatures and characters and publishes her own sewing ...more
More about Jennifer Carson...

Hapenny Magick (2 books)